Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Lonely, shy & geeky heroines (historical & contemporary)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 11, 2014 5:18:40 PM PDT
Magelet says:
The heroine in Artistic License is very shy and a bit geeky, although not lonely - she actually enjoys being by herself, which is part of the conflict with the romance.

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 5:02:33 PM PDT
Anne in VA says:
Has anyone read Courtney Milan's new book The Countess Conspiracy (The Brothers Sinister, Book 3). I think the h may fit as "geeky." I really loved this book.

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 4:17:17 PM PDT
Beatrice says:
Bump

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 6:06:10 AM PST
Alexa says:
bump

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2013 5:51:16 AM PST
flipoid says:
Too bad it's so expensive!

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 8:54:44 AM PST
RomReader says:
Romancing the Bookworm by Kate Evangelista
A Facade to Shatter (Harlequin Presents\Sicily's Corretti Dynasty) by Lynn Raye Harris

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 1:23:42 AM PST
duongdo says:
bump

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2013 7:20:00 AM PDT
Looks wonderful

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 3:33:26 AM PDT
Neeta says:
Lucy Monroe's Watch Over Me. The heroine is the epitome of geekdom. She's the typical "absent minded professor" type - except she's some sort of super-scientist. She finds it incredibly hard to trust people since she's such a genius her family sort of emotionally abandoned her and her boyfriend sold her out to terrorists. She also has no filter between her brain and her mouth, which makes for some really entertaining verbal exchanges with the super macho alpha bodyguard. It's part of the Goddard Project series, but can be read as a stand alone. Bonus points coz it's a case of the hot guy falling for the curvy girl!! Love that!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2013 3:38:22 PM PDT
Freshcookies says:
@ eBook - oh definitely! Black and brown seem to be under-represented in romances (Regency in particular).

I don't see why this should be so, as in England they have plenty people with this colouring owing to the Norman invasion of 1066.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2013 11:12:39 AM PDT
So well said. This is the book that drew me to Elizabeth Hoyt.

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 7:28:31 AM PDT
I reread it once a year at least.

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 9:48:26 PM PDT
Sophie says:
NAWC & Anne, I completely agree with you.

Melisande is guarded & excruciatingly lonely, because she has been deeply hurt and has secrets that - in her time & social milieu - would bring instant expulsion, if those secrets were revealed. In addition, no-one has ever *wanted* her to be herself: her own self may be shy or introverted, thoughtful & intelligent, and privately passionate: however, her life circumstances have required her to exaggerate the shy/reserved/cold part, and bury the thoughtful/intelligent/passionate part of herself.

"To Seduce A Sinner" is my favorite Elizabeth Hoyt book. Which is saying something, cause I'm a big fan of the Maiden Lane series. But this one is special, IMO. In the way Madeline Hunter's "The Rules of Seduction" is special (H/h characters bear resemblances, backstories not so much. but the love, growing relationship, sensuality, true difficulties to overcome, compelling attraction - both great books).

Melisande & Jasper, and their story, wiggled themselves into my heart and refuse to be dislodged ;). The way that she makes a bed on the floor for him to sleep - that is unforgettable. And how far their 'initial intimate' encounters are perceived so differently by them both ('Thank goodness I'm not a virgin!' from Melisande), how Jasper grows into protecting then loving her - but feels he deserves none of that. Till she helps him to see how deserving they both are, because (like all of us) they've both done things to be undeserving. They begin to understand grace, and mercy, and unconditional love, with each other. From the unlikeliest of beginnings.

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 7:48:18 PM PDT
She was lonely. I adore her and that book. Shy, no. Lonely, yes.

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 5:41:47 PM PDT
Anne in VA says:
@Freshcookies
I agree that she wasn't gentle and was a bit cold, but to me I think because she had low self-esteem she came off as cold in order to protect herself. I also think she was a lonely character.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2013 3:19:06 PM PDT
IIRC heroine in Silk Is For Seduction by Loretta Chase fits that description.

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 4:18:49 AM PDT
ebookfan says:
Freshcookies,
How about heroines with black hair and eyes, almost as rare as brown hair and eyes.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2013 9:28:16 PM PDT
Freshcookies says:
Re Seduce a Sinner - I didn't think that the h was shy or gentle. I actually found her a bit cold.

TBH I didn't really like the book at all. Yes she was fairly quiet but I wouldn't attribute any of the other characteristics on Alexa's list to this heroine.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2013 9:06:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2013 3:39:00 PM PDT
Freshcookies says:
OMG Alexa - YES!!! I want to read about this sort of heroine too.

I'm yet to read a heroine who is truly as you describe, and I can't for the life of me understand why. There ARE women like this out there but I think authors are frightened of scaring away readers who want 'confident' smart-ar$es and who complain endlessly about door-mats.

For me a great addition would be that she have brown hair and eyes - heroines (in Regency at least) never seem to have brown eyes. What's THAT about??? ;)

My problem with supposedly 'shy' heroines is that they tend to also be a bit unpleasant to the H or they're not really *that* shy....

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 11:41:02 AM PDT
I will second Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City) The Shy Bride (Harlequin Presents) Both offered at great prices recently.

Never Enough (A Brown Family Novel) She is very reserved but not in bed. Erotic. Bare It All (Hqn)The Devil in Winter (The Wallflowers, Book 3)Run To You Erotic The Nerd and the Marine (The Morrison Family - Book 1) (clean) Breathe (Colorado Mountain)Omega MineA Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, Book 1)

lol enough

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 4:22:16 AM PDT
Alexa says:
anyone with new recs, please?

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 9:15:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2013 9:17:23 AM PDT
Alexa says:
@Anne in VA
Hey Anne, here are some of my favorites of the theme:)

"There's a short story called Miracles by Judith Mcnaught that I've read that fits the bill. The h is bookish and introverted. (Possible spoilers)She's infatuated with her husband who has dumped her in one of his houses, he loathes her because they were caught in a compromising situation which led to their marriage."

"Love in the Afternoon (Hathaways, Book 5) by Lisa Kleypas
The h has always been more comfortable outdoors than in the ballroom, and is a bookish lover of animals & nature. The H is a handsome soldier enamored with h's flirtatious friend. He plans to marry the friend when he returns from battling abroad. His will to survive in war is kept alive by the letters he constantly exchanges with h's friend. Little does he know that the friend couldn't care less about him and it has been the h who had been writing these letters to him all along under the disguise of her friend. And the more h gets to know him, the more she falls in love."

"Texas Splendor by Lorraine Heath
h lives alone with her dog as her only companion in her family home, somewhere far from other town folks. She is shy and has been very wary of people ever since her family members were murdered right before her eyes when she was young."

Give these shy heroines their chance to shine, keep the recs coming along guys:)

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 3:48:50 PM PDT
Anne in VA says:
@Alexa
Hi Alexa. As the person who started this thread, do you have any favorites with this theme? Just wondering if there was a good one that triggered you starting this thread.

BTW... I second or third Elizabeth Hoyt's To Seduce A Sinner (The Legend of the Four Soldiers)
This is on my permanent bookshelf. I re-read it every year or so.

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 3:35:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2013 3:48:26 PM PDT
Master of Her Virtue (Harlequin Presents) by Miranda Lee. I really enjoyed this book. Heroine is really shy though she is nice looking (she used to be fat and this is still problem to her), she has degree from university and is very good in her job, which is rare in HPs (Better education. So many poor heroines).

-May/dec
-Virgin heroine

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 4:41:16 PM PDT
Sophie says:
Exiting Lurking-dom :):

"The Shy Bride" by Lucy Monroe. An HP, but one of my absolute favs. Heroine is very shy, demonstrating a blend of agoraphobia & Social Anxiety Disorder. Also, Ms. Monroe's "The Greek's Innocent Virgin", "Valentino's Love Child", "Not Just the Greek's Wife" & recent "Prince of Secrets", have shy, awkward or retiring heroines. The books aren't as good - though I still enjoyed them, especially VLC (another personal favorite) & TGIV - as TSB, but they fit the thread.

"A Reclusive Heart", R.L. Mathewson. I'm about 80% through w/ this one, in which the h is extremely shy, awkward & insecure at the beginning. She begins to come into her own during the book but remains her essential self - shy.

"Lord of the Abyss" by Nalini Singh, a Harlequin Nocturne from a few years back. The heroine is truly ugly; it has affected all her relationships & social interactions.

By Loretta Chase, my very favorite Historical author (after Georgette Heyer): she doesn't really write shy heroines, but "The Knaves Wager" is one of her first books. The heroine is cold & withdrawn to all but her nieces. And I could make a case for the heroine in "Mr. Impossible", who is forced by circumstances to hide her many accomplishments and conform to societal expectations.

Oh! A shy *hero* from Georgette Heyer: "Foundling". I adore this book. His actual heroine is also a shy, softspoken young lady, but she remains off stage for much of the book. He is shy, retiring, has been ill & cossetted his entire life, until he strikes out on an adventure (with the girl who drives the adventure, who is far from shy. but she is *not* his heart's desire).

Finally, a naughty erotica-ish by Emma Wildes: "An Indecent Proposition". The heroine is very similar to Loretta Chase's in "The Knaves Wager": a widow who was mistreated by her husband, considered cold & extremely proper in society, not friendly or forthcoming except to a very few. Probably my favorite by Ms. Wildes.

Sorry to go on & on! Time, well, past time, to start dinner :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 28 customers

Search Customer Discussions