Customer Discussions > Romance forum

SPOILERS - The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 78 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 2:50:24 AM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Ro-
Thought you'd enjoy Alli Cat. She's a hoot! Oh dear gawd, did you have a Braxillian? You're brave, brave!!! Did you see that waxing scene in 40 Year Old Virgin??? I laughed my tuchas off.
IF You Stay is my fav of Cole's. I had some issues with it but not enough to put me off. I love the strong heroine. And I've downloaded B & B and its high up on my tbr list.

Just finished Love Unexpected by Anne Leigh and enjoyed it. Gave it 4 outta 5 in GR even though I felt it needed neatening and editing. I recc'd it in 2 other discussions too.

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 3:15:51 PM PST
Beeg
Well I finished Alli Cat yesterday and have to admit to a few broad grins.
The Brazillian scene brought back a few memories for me :-))
I was worried the whole time because it we obvious from the start that Alex was Shades's father and I didn't know how that was going to pan out. I needn't have worried.
I enjoyed it far more than the other two chic lits we mentioned and am glad I read it. Thanks for the rec.
I am really surprised by the range of this author. Alli Cat, Of Blood and Bone and If You Stay are such totally different books - totally different! I really admire her skill.
I liked Of B & B best, but suspect that may be a product of my life stage. What was your favourite?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 11:04:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2013 11:07:46 PM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Vasso-
How's If You Stay for you so far? Did you start it? I can imagine we all have different thoughts on it. I found it hard to handle in some places. No, on most places, but I couldn't NOT finish it, you know? I adored the H and the h, both. I know I probably shouldn't, but I couldn't help it. It felt like it was spiraling out of control as the book progressed, like watching a disaster happening and knowing its gonna get worse before it gets better. But there was no way I wasn't gonna finish it? I think its one of those you either like or hate. I loved it AND hated it, if that even makes SENSE!

Ro-
I think I know how YOU feel about it. Lol.

About Cole, yes, she is a prolific writer and has restored my faith in finding the good ones out there.
I wish all authors, especially the new ones, would take the time and effort to produce work without editing issues, with good covers, with good original story lines. To put yourself out there, with your first book below par and to become famous or notorious, depending on how they view the negative attention they garner, is surely embarrassing? I would rather wait a year for a good solid book than get a string of bad books within months of each other.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 12:42:52 PM PST
Beeg
The book itself and some of the reviews lead you to think it's paranormal. They all suggest werewolf, but that's not the case and the reviews actually tell you who the culprit is.
Cole is becoming one of my favourite authors. I admire an author who can competently write in so many different styles.
I'm looking forward to the next to see the mystery fully solved and revisit the happy couple, and also the next Beautifully Broken to see the sister's story and re-visit that couple as well.
YES-stunning cover on B&B!!
Will start Alli Cat today...

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 8:40:13 AM PST
SAB says:
Thanks for the rec of If You Stay.......just downloaded it and cannot wait to start. Beautiful cover, I love it. Anyone that is comparible to Travis I will read.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 3:24:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2013 1:21:24 PM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Ro-
They say of you like Wallbanger, you'll like Alli Cat. Its Chicklit at its best, so its not to be read expecting a romance. I certainly laughed out LOUD while cringing at the same time.

Right, I'm gonna try Of Blood and Bone. If its Mystery I can handle a cliffhanger as long at the H and h have there solid HEA. I DO so love me a tortured H and a smart h. So little of those around lately.

ETA - Rowan, the cover of "Of Blood" is the most beautiful cover I have seen in a longggggggggg while

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 1:17:05 AM PST
Mercered

Gave you my lengthy take on If You Stay. Amazon didn't like something I said. Sorry. I think you will enjoy it :-)

Beeg
Thanks for the rec. have downloaded it. Others have said it's funny as well. You know my odd sense of humor (remember Wallbanger? Snacks & Seduction?) so looking forward to reading it, but reserving judgement :-)

Of Blood & Bone isn't paranormal - more mystery/romance. It has a HEA but the mystery isn't fully solved and another book is due out in March, I think. This was a different style - the couple is older 34/29 or thereabouts. Lovely, tortured H; lovely, smart h.
Hope you give it a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 11:40:53 PM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Ro-
My latop decided to SWITCH OFF in the middle of my reply to you! Urgh!
Yes, Ive found a new fav author in Cole. Read her, what I would term as chick lit: Confessions of an Alli Cat (The Cougar Chronicles, #1). Funny one.
Are her other books paranoral only? If theyre not too heavy, maybe I can give it a try?

SunFlowers-
That's my thing too. I like to put a book to rest if it ends on a HEA. I now found myself questioning almost every new book I read, hoping there is a solid HEA so that I can predict if the author will do a sequel or not. Many authors don't forewarn that a sequel is planned

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 11:06:06 PM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Merc-
I sympathize with you. People tell us to "sleep when the baby sleeps" but I've found that to be impossible with both my kids". I'm sure Jace is making is all worth it :)

I read If You Stay (Beautifully Broken). Loved it. Supposed to recc it in the Travis discussion. He is like Travis but he is very very very messed up. Pretty much like those first pages. No, VERY much like those first pages. There's my heads up to you iro this book. Big Girl Panties needed.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 5:09:06 PM PST
SunFlowers says:
Maybe I'm alone but I felt the first book closed it up just right. I don't want to read about the National Lampoon shenanigans of Andrew and Camryn carting a baby or toddler across the country on road trips. Cuz you know she's pregnant and all so in a sequel they have a kid.

I think it ended just right. He's alive, they're having a baby, they're getting married. Done deal. A sequel feels like milking it for all it's worth and it's probably going to be super sour.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 5:04:20 PM PST
Mercered:
The H is damaged by repressed memories regarding his mother's death (sorted out in the book via hypnotic regression). He's a trust fund baby who lives alone in a house on a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan (I think I have that name correct - near Chicago, Angel Bay?). He doesn't work but gets through the days with drugs and Jack Daniels. The book begins with the h resuscitating the H when he accidentally overdoses. She saves his life.
When you say 'cheating' - not in the sense that matters. Early in the 'relationship' when they don't really have a relationship he gets a bl0wjob which the h accidentally observes much to the horror of h and H. That's a wake up call for him. I am not painting a nice picture, but he is seriously f**ked up and you feel more sorry for him than anything. h rescues him and basically gives him his life back. Well - he never atually had one until she came along. He's not a loser and he *did* have a reputation for being a manho, but once they get into a relationship he has a serious turnaround. I really liked the h. She's an artist. She and her sister were orphaned when both parents were killed in a car accident (yes, again!) and I think the next book is about the sister. But h is an artist with a successful shop and she puts a lot of effort into helping the H recover. Nice ending and I'm looking forward to seeing how they're going in the sister's book.
Similar trope in the Blood and Bone book where the H is damaged (but for different reasons in this one) and the h is a psychiatrist and helps him to recover as well. So - I can see a kind of recurring theme but definitely didn't feel like I was reading the same book over again...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 4:47:38 PM PST
Mercered says:
Rowan: how's the H? Is he jealous/possesive? And does he cheat? I've got to know so I can brace myself if he does go back to being a manho. Also is the h likable? I've read a couple of books lately and have rooted fir the H to kick the h to the curb.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 4:33:25 PM PST
Hope you don't mind if I but in?
I read this earlier in the week

If You Stay (Beautifully Broken)

I think it's the sort of story you'd like, Beeg.
I followed it up with another of Courtney Cole's which was totally different (setin Malta) and which I loved as well.
Of Blood and Bone (The Minaldi Legacy)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 4:09:47 PM PST
Mercered says:
Beeg: i'm working on no sleep, I was texting my boss and my eyes crossed...literally that's how tired I am. Can't drink coffee bc i'm pumping. I looked at the fanfic thread, omw!!! Almost a 1000 posts that I haven't read!

Have you read If You Stay (Beautifully Broken)? It's on my tbr pile. I read the first couple of pages...author just let it all out in the first couple of pages without pulling any punches. Hopefully he'll be like Travis once he meets h.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 3:09:47 PM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Bk-
Heck, I only saw your post now, lol. Shows how long ago I looked at this discussion. I STILL haven't read it. I just felt that their story was going to be important to me and I didn't want to get to know and love them and then be disappointed in the outcome. And I was right to be wary because there seems to be, as per the author: "more hardships that Camryn and Andrew will face".
That scares the hell outta me.

Merc!
How u all doin?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 3:06:32 PM PST
Mercered says:
I read that this morning. I loved how the first book ended and thought to myself that it really didn't need a sequel to mess up their hea. With all that said, I'm still going to read the sequel, I just hope that there's no cheating.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 3:00:13 PM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Einar-
Did you see this Valentine's day announcement?
The author is planning the sequel: "The Edge of Always".
Maybe that's why you felt the 1st book was anti- climatic. Because a sequel was in the making? I'm not sure.

Link to author's announcement:
http://jessicaredmerski.com/2013/02/14/news-announcing-the-sequel-the-edge-of-always/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+jessicaredmerski+(Official+Site+of+Jessica+Redmerski)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 2:01:22 PM PST
bklvr says:
Beeg: I think the biggest reason I hated it was because I went into it thinking it was one thing and suddenly, without any sort of warning at all, it turned into something else. When I went into it, it seemed like a sweet New Adult hurt/comfort story about 2 people dealing with issues, meet, and go on a journey together and help each other to work through some of their stuff. And then I got to about the middle and BAM, it turned into a bad, smutty fanfic.

I never liked Camryn (the heroine). I thought she was horribly whiny and b**chy to everyone (especially the hero when she met him). I could not wrap my mind around her motivations for picking up and leaving her life, and her "road trip" made no sense in my mind. I guess, for me, I'm a huge, huge, HUGE character reader/writer and when I feel like the characters are unrealistic or annoying or just all around horrible, I can't read it.

I tried to keep reading because I thought Andrew was sweet and I wanted to learn what was up with him. But then all of a sudden, seriously, this thing turned to p0rn. Obviously, this didn't bother the majority of people who read it, and if I were going into this knowing it was what it was, maybe I wouldn't have hated it--no, I take that back, I still would have hated it. It was not well written, I didn't really care about the characters, and it just wasn't a story I am interested in reading.

I ended up flouncing it, and I rarely flounce anything.

That probably doesn't help. Lol.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 2:55:14 PM PST
Einar says:
Beeg Panda -
I think that's it! I felt like the ending/revelation was such a let down...anti-climax. After around 80% reading and all those guessings where the story will lead, the big secret/main plot was kinda meh. I thought the big main story would be about Camryn; but turns out it's all about him. Guess I just don't fancy Andrew that much.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 2:48:05 PM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Einar-
Like it was an anti climax?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 2:46:45 PM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Merc-
HAHAHAHAHAFHAHAHAHA.....ooh you got me laffin here!
Google is my friend but not even Google could tell me when I copied and pasted your question there.
Lmao!

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 2:43:42 PM PST
Einar says:
Mmm...I don't like this book. Don't hate it, but I've read better books. From all the positive glowing reviews, I would think that it must have been a better book than Beautiful Disaster. But not really for me. The story is just flat; well, not until the end. But the ending is still kinda disappointing. Not enough drama...lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 1:50:53 PM PST
Mercered says:
Beeg: Makes me want to google "DIY: how to check how far along you're dilated".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 1:09:58 PM PST
Beeg Panda says:
SunFlower-
She's pregnant! Great, I like that. One step closer to reading it now. I was also just lamenting the lack of really, truly better-than-just-good YA books out lately.
Sigh.........

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 12:51:38 PM PST
SunFlowers says:
I LOVED this book and I'm not a like everything I read person. Most are just okay for me so the ones I love are extra special.

Neither Andrew nor Camryn annoyed me and IMO the story was just right. I didn't mind the ending. Did anyone REALLY think he'd be killed off? I think it was up in the air yes but I knew from the first time they had sex that she'd get pregnant. She read as not on birth control for me and condoms and sexual history wasn't even mentioned. Though they just met and had unprotected sex rather quickly. I knew she'd get pregnant. But it worked for me because I liked them both and I really loved the story.

As far as the recent Young Adult books I've been scrolling it's better than all of them. Especially Charade and My Favorite Mistake. No contest.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  78
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions