Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Great Sci Fi Romance

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 69 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 7:10:38 PM PST
Dani says:
Hey Guys,
I recently read Laurann Dohner's Cyborg series and I realized that there is a whole subgenre of romance that I have missed! Can anyone reccommend some really good sci fi romances -things with aliens, space, futuristic settings ect. Im open to any books that you have enjoyed -but please no cruel heros. I like guys that treat their ladies well. ;) Thanks everyone!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 7:19:18 PM PST
ambrosia says:
Have you also tried Laurann Dohner's Zorn series and New Species series? You'd probably like those also.

Eve Langlais has some short, funny ones, including a cyborg series that feels very similar to Laurann Dohner's. (LD's came first.)

Evangeline Anderson also has some similar type SciFi romances, including her brides of the kindred.

I LOVE Linnea Sinclair, though note that her books are more SciFi with strong romantic elements, rather than a romance set in space. But the romance is a critical part of the story and very sweet. Some of her best are:

An Accidental Goddess (Bantam Spectra)

Games of Command (Bantam Spectra Book)

Finders Keepers (Bantam Spectra Book)

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 7:33:44 PM PST
T. Smith says:
Jayne Ann Krentz has a few. Shield's Lady, The Crystal Flame and there is one other I can't remember the name.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 7:35:59 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 2, 2012 8:11:03 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 7:50:35 PM PST
T. Smith says:
Sweet Starfire is the other Krentz book I was thinking of. They are all very loosly related but so distant that it is like three stand alone books.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 8:39:46 PM PST
Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling series

Jayne Castle (aka JAK) Harmony series

JD Robb's In Death series

Ann Aguirre's Sirantha Jax, but that's more sci fi with romance, I think

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 9:12:50 PM PST
Some that I enjoyed.

Daughters of Terra (The Ta'e'sha Chronicles) and it's sequel Shards of the Mind (The Ta'e'sha Chronicles). Aliens kidnap Earth women because a virus has rendered their women sterile. Good books. I enjoyed the sequel as much if not more, than the first.

The Battle Lord's Lady (The Battle Lord Saga), Her Battle Lord's Desire (The Battle Lord Saga) and A Battle Lord's Heart (Battle Lord Saga). I loved this trilogy! The first two were great and the third, good. It's set 300 years in the future after the Earth was almost destroyed when a meteor crashed into the moon. Civilization was almost destroyed. Normals live in compounds ruled by Battle Lords. Mutahs live in hidden compounds goverened by a counsel. The Normals fear and hate the Mutah and the compounds conduct yearly sweeps to kill any they find. The H is a Battle Lord and the h is a Mutah hunter.

Prime Obsession. Competent, strong h who is a battleship captain for the Galactic Alliance. They are trying to forge an alliance with The Prime to help defeat a viscous reptilian species trying to take over the Galaxy. H is the oldest son of the Prime Leader. The Prime are a male dominated society who form biological mates. Their birth rate has been dropping for centuries so their women are now kept protected and secluded.

My Strength, My Power, My Love

Light of Kaska

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 9:32:26 PM PST
Ilona Andrews has two novellas that are definitely science fiction. I loved them. They take place in the same universe.

Silent Blade

Silver Shark (Kinsmen Series)

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 4:54:40 AM PST
Neogirl says:
Hi Dani, 2 of my favourite sci fi ones are Love at First Bight [Deep Space Mission Corps 1] (Siren Menage Amour #34) by Dalton, Tymber published by Siren Publishing, Inc. (2009) [Paperback]. I know it has a silly name but it was the first book I ever read with multiple partners (and please don't let that put you off!). This was back in my early (innocent!) reading days I was a little shocked at all the smexing but the central characters have a really deep connection and it is a great story.

The other one I really liked was Demon Possession.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:18:19 AM PST
Pink tie says:
I have read and enjoyed
Louise Wise Eden
C L Scholeys series starting with Shield [New World Book 1]
Kaitlyn O'Connors series starting with The Awakening (Cyberevolution), which was free the other day. She has also other sci fi/futuristic stories like The Lion's Woman which I liked.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 2:05:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 4:38:13 PM PST
Agnes says:
I second books by Linnea Sinclair. My favorite of hers is Gabriel's Ghost, which has a sequel called Shades of Dark. The rest of the Dock Five series delves into different characters.

And, if you've never heard of Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, you are definitely missing out. I started with Partners in Necessity, which contains three books in the Liaden Universe series: Conflict of Honors (my least favorite), Agent of Change, and Carpe Diem (still one of my favorites out of everything I've read by them). Love the turtle aliens, Miri and Val Con, and how well developed the characters are. Plus, there are so many more books in the series, which I highly recommend.

I second the Sirantha Jax series (along with books by Jayne Ann Krentz). Grimspace by Ann Aguirre - If you're looking for a sci-fi romance that's light on the romance and heavy on the action, this one's a nice place to start. The heroine, Sirantha Jax, is a little egotistical and is at her most eloquent when she's cursing. Some of the negative reviews for this one have a lot to do with readers not liking the main character. I found this a fast-paced, action packed read and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. The romance in this particular book, as this is the first in a series, surfaces in this installment, so it's not anything heavy.

Driven (SHOMI) by Eve Kenin (has a really awful companion novel called Hidden which I advise passing up) - post-apocalyptic read set in an arctic waste. This one's more of a futuristic read than sci-fi. There aren't any aliens or space ships, just a futuristic, imagined setting. Like Ann Aguirre's book, this one's another fast-paced, action packed read, though this one has a little more romance.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:24:45 PM PST
Oh, I agree. Did you read the second one? Bightmares [Deep Space Mission Corps 2] (Siren Publishing Ménage Amour). Plus when I was inserting the product link I discovered she's published a third, Spider Bight [Deep Space Mission Corps 3] (Siren Publishing Menage Everlasting). I just 1-clicked it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:31:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 6:32:13 PM PST
Several interesting recommendations. I just got Driven and will probably check out Grimspace. I have been looking for another post-apocalyptic book after reading the Battle Lord Saga. Thanks!

ETA - I second the Linnea Sinclair recommendation.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:38:09 PM PST
D. Politis says:
Try Close Encounters by Katherine Allred Close Encounters (Alien Affairs) It's about a female explorer who finds an alien race and has to help them protect their planet from evil mine developers. There is hot romance, humor, and good worldbuilding.

The sequel, Close Contact, Close Contact: An Alien Affairs Novel, Book 2 features a different couple and was also pretty good but I prefer book 1.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:42:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 6:43:11 PM PST
One of my favorite authors is Lois McMasters Bujold and she has a slightly ahhh different hero in Miles. This is an ongoing SF series where one of the plot points is that Miles has yet to end up with the girl - however to the cheers of her fans Miles does do romance in A Civil Campaign. Going back a bit (from the time of A Civil Campaign) you can explore how Mile's parents found eachother in the two book volume Cordelia's Honor (Vorkosigan Saga Omnibus: Shards of Honor / Barrayar) If you enjoy Ms. Bujold's writing she has a new book out in the Vorkosigan Saga. This one has someone other than Miles or his father as hero -- Ivan in Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Vorkosigan Saga).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:49:12 PM PST
ambrosia says:
I Love Lois McMasters Bujold, though her Vor series is more spies and diplomacy in space, but I LOVED A Civil Campaign. Miles was so scheming and hapless. It was so cute!. I love the dialogue and wit with her books. (I didn't enjoy her fantasy books as much, though they had more romance, and i usually prefer fantasy.) If you love a steong heroine, the books about his mother are great. Thanks for the news about the new book!!!! I hadn't heard.

I couldn't get into Grimspace. I DNF'd it.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:05:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 7:08:41 PM PST
On a different twist we have aliens who look like cover model humans in Gini Koch's Alien series. This is a light hearted laugh out loud seies which follows the escapades of Jeff and Kitty
Touched by an Alien (Alien Novels)
Alien Tango (Alien Novels)
Alien Proliferation (Katherine "Kitty" Katt)
Alien in the Family (Alien Novels)
Alien Diplomacy (Alien Novels)
Alien vs. Alien

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:27:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 7:30:04 PM PST
Curmudgeon says:
Krentz also writes fantasy/sci fi/romance as Jayne Castle
For a less well known author you might try The Iron Admiral: Conspiracy or some of her other books. Fun reads

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:29:23 PM PST
TravelingGal says:
I love Ann Aguirre and I love the way she writes. That being said, I had a hard time with the Sirantha Jax series. The world-building was terrific but the romance was not. The H and h spend more time apart than together and *SPOILER* at the end of the last one I read, they were going their separate ways. I loved the H and really liked the initial setup of their relationship so it was especially disappointing. Terrific science fiction, not terrific romance.

On the other hand, her Skin series (starting with Skin Game (Berkley Sensation), listed under Ava Gray, is just as well-written and has much better romances. It's scifi also but more altered human type than futuristic.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 8:10:02 PM PST
M. says:
Can I just say I love this thread? 'Cause i do. Lots of good suggestions, my wishlist keeps growing by leaps and bounds.

I haven't seen mention of the Stardoc series by S. L. Viehl. It's gotten rather long and I can't vouch for the later books but the first few are pretty good. Very inventive scifi details -it's more mainstream science fiction- with some nice romance elements too, lots of yummy alien guys, plus some really really weird ones.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 8:24:01 PM PST
JerseyGirl says:
I love Alien Overnight . Good, witty dialogue. An oldie but goodie is The Empress' New Clothes (Trade Paperback Erotic Romance) . Silly and campy, and Jaid Black isn't known for her quality prose; but I thought it was a fun read.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 12:41:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 12:47:55 AM PST
Marissa G says:
I just bumped & posted to another thread from earlier this year that has a lot of good suggestions. There are several threads linked in that one, some of which may be in the Paranormal or Futuristic Romance forums. Also worth searching keywords like futuristic, sci-fi, or science fiction plus some of the regularly mentioned Sci Fi Romance authors/series in all three forums.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/ref=cm_cd_pg_prev?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx374KD1O4PNYY3

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 1:44:47 AM PST
Zenna Henderson. Way out of print, but lovely stories. Not erotic at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 1:53:46 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Oh Yay! I've been waiting for a couple of months for Spider Bight to get to Amazon. Janet, she's also releasing/released book 4 (but it'll be awhile before it hits here).

I love that series! Thanks for the link. I hadn't checked since last week.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 2:58:19 AM PST
its like TD starves us and doesn't put anything out for a few months and then its like bam bam bam!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
105 Jun 10, 2014
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #3 3061 2 minutes ago
HP discussion. Good bad and inbetween. 8075 6 minutes ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 4 8794 20 minutes ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 148 22 minutes ago
Cheap on KINDLE = Romance Oldies from the 70s, 80s or 90s 327 25 minutes ago
Free Today Second Edition 3280 26 minutes ago
Publishing Company Ellora's Cave Suing Dear Author Blog 122 35 minutes ago
Romance with substance - need recommendations 29 46 minutes ago
Wanted: Heroine is an Exotic Dancer/Strip Tease 54 47 minutes ago
Silhouette Desire - To quote "Touch And Go" - Lets go straight to No.1 1195 1 hour ago
Loan Me Thread V. 6 3693 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions