Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Shy or awkward, but alpha

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2010 8:09:46 PM PST
Changa says:
I've seen many posts about books with alpha or beta males, but I think I'm looking for a mix of the two. I'm looking for titles with a hero that is shy, socially awkward, or quiet but is alpha (and possibly possessive) with his heroine. Some examples that I have read in the past are Unleash the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon and Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward. These are both paranormals but I am open to all genres. Thanks!

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 8:41:53 PM PST
Linda Howard's COVER OF NIGHT has as H Calvin Harris, who appears to be a mild-mannered, shy, skinny handyman, but when the chips go down, he shows his true colors as a lean, mean, fighting machine who'll do whatever it takes to protect his beloved Cate, her sons, his friends and his town. Caution--Cate has nauseatingly sweet twin sons.

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 8:33:01 AM PST
Susinok says:
I'd say Kaden Montegue from Chrstine Feehan's Murder Game. He's totally new at a relationships and his buddies rib him a lot. It's amusing.

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 10:25:12 AM PST
tag says:
Beyond the Sunrise by Mary Balogh. Im reading it now and the hero is painfully awkward but not shy.

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 11:27:49 AM PST
Charles from Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega series fits this bill perfectly. He's an Alpha personality but he's kind of anti-social and is fiercely protective of Anna his mate. This series starts with a short story in the anthology On The Prowl.

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 1:28:48 PM PST
MelissaB says:
The Mane Squeeze by Shelly Laurenston - cute, quiet grizzly bear shifter hero who is so sweet unless you startle him or threaten his lady, then you might be missing a limb

Shelter Mountain by Robyn Carr - the hero is a quiet mountain of a man who is really sweet to the abused heroine. You should probably read Virgin River first.

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 1:42:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2010 9:07:59 AM PST
Mignonette says:
Baxter St. Ives in Amanda Quick's Affair. He seems, and believes he is, innocuous, but he is quite heroic when it's time to save the heroine.

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 3:04:45 PM PST
MK says:
The hero from Tessa Dare's One Dance With a Duke. A bit clueless socially, but eventually quite sweet. Always very alpha in other respects though.

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 3:08:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2010 3:08:27 PM PST
Arc says:
I loves these kinds of books and I just finished reading Linda Howard's Cover of Night and thought it was really good (I loves books were the hero seems shy/awkward but is really very alpha and in this book, Cover of Night, the hero *Spoiler alert* you learn that he use to be a marine and he gets very intense and deadly when taking down the bad guys-I LOVE this kind of hero and he kind of reminded me of shelter Mountain's hero (who I also loved). Does anyone else have anymore recommendations like these books?

Thanks

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 3:38:26 PM PST
meloco says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2010 8:23:17 AM PST
AnekaTX says:
The Secret by Brenda Joyce

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 7:17:38 PM PST
Dana S. says:
Breaking the Silence by Katie Allen. Hero is totally socially awkward and shy, but very alpha with the heroine once he gets to know her.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2010 8:35:12 PM PST
Ero Cullera says:
If you like this kind of hero you'll love Ava Gray's SKIN HEAT, which releases in January 2011. He's socially awkward and very uncomfortable with being alpha, but alpha he is!

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 10:09:59 PM PST
Erica24 says:
Diaz in Linda Howard's Cry No More was pretty quiet and socially awkward. The bonus is that there are no kids actively in the story. I had Cover of Night in my to be read pile, but based on the above descriptions, I will be avoiding that one for awhile. LOL.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2010 10:19:30 PM PST
Bonnie Smith says:
City Wolf's Trilogy,, you'll love how these men possess their women,,

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 6:25:08 AM PST
D. A. Verno says:
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Leisure Historical Romance) one of my favorites ever!! Strong alpha, but autistic.

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 9:33:18 AM PST
Lovely D.M. says:
Born in Sin by Kinley McGregor, he's not shy, but if I remember correctly he's a little socially awkward.

Happy reading!

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 10:53:11 AM PST
This isn't quite what you're asking for, but I was impressed with the hero in Midnight Man by Lisa Marie Rice. Very Alpha but solitary. Author does a great job describing his awkward, fish-out-of-water reaction to falling in love. I haven't necessarily been blown away by Rice's work, except this for this one. I plan to continue reading the Midnight series to see if she keeps up the good work.

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 11:31:43 AM PST
It's been about a year since I've read it but Born of Night (The League, Book 1) is a good book. The H is very Alpha but almost totally sexually inexperienced. He's had wo encounters with the same woman (if I remember correctly) that didn't end well. He was abused as a boy (including sexually but that's not a point that was described in graphic detail thank goodness!) but grew up to be a very alpha man. The book is sorta Star Wars, not surprising since it was written about the same time frame or a little after.

GrannyLaLa :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2010 1:03:23 PM PST
Carolyn - I think John sweats Alpha - while he's not a social creature, I think he can hold his own in social situations. I didn't like Midnight Run as much - really didn't care for the heroine - but Midnight Angel - oh, now that's a romantic book!!

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 5:23:45 PM PST
booklover~ Thanks for the suggestion!

Posted on Apr 13, 2011 11:22:06 AM PDT
Revitalizing this thread and adding:
England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, Book 3) and Love in the Afternoon (Hathaways, Book 5) - both H have PTSD
His Secondhand Wife (Historical)
Woman on the Run
Catch of the Day (Hqn) and All I Ever Wanted (Hqn)
Bodacious

Love this type of hero. Any others?

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 9:44:08 AM PST
Bling says:
Seeing Blind and Experimenting with Ed (Human Design, Book One) by Katie Allen have this type of hero. The H in Seeing Blind is very alpha, but he blushes! (!)

Bone Deep - H is shy because he has been abused but I thought of him as alpha.

Also second the rec of Woman on the run - Cooper, the H, is so exactly this type of hero - very, very awkward but very, very alpha!

Also, try Lord of the Abyss (Harlequin Nocturne) (it's part of a series; I read as a standalone though and worked well enough). PNR.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 9:47:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 9:48:51 AM PST
CMommy says:
A Needful Heart H watched h for 4 years before he got the nerve to talk to her. He was beaten as a child and he's a big guy so he' s afraid he will hurt h. He's never had a gf.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 7:30:41 PM PST
LTR says:
I've had A Needful Heart on my TBR list after seeing an earlier rec about it. I think it'll be one of my go-to reads for this week. I also thought of Beast -- I read it based on recommendations from a post a few weeks ago and loved it. He's really shy around girls but is a kick-b*** military guy. The two start as friends working out at a gym (in the building where they both work) but once they get rockin', he's alpha and their romance really worked for me.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions