Customer Discussions > Romance forum

What was your absolute favorite book that you read in 2012?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2012 10:02:09 AM PST
lovebooks says:
I really enjoyed Lothaire and the hullabalo with 50 Shades was fun!

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 3:26:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 3:27:16 PM PST
Sissi says:
Come A Little Bit Closer: The Sullivans and Lothaire

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 3:40:20 PM PST
Tala says:
Incidental Happenstance and A Song for Julia (Thompson Sisters)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 3:45:43 PM PST
"Moloka'i" by Alan Brennert - if anyone agrees, please let me know of others like this.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 4:43:56 PM PST
Meowmix101 says:
Defiant by Pamela Clare.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:44:10 PM PST
Almost all of them, for about 30 seconds before I begin the next greatest book.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:51:21 PM PST
Scrapmom says:
I've read a bunch of good romances this year and it's hard to narrow it down. I will say
Lethal Rider (Lords of Deliverance) and
On The Island

For a novella or short story I would pick
Hearts In Darkness

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 6:47:59 PM PST
atiptoes says:
Without going through my goodreads account and looking at everything I've read this year I would say Evelyn Vine Be Mine. It was a watpad or fanfiction book/story I think. If I had to pick a "real" book I'd say Flat-Out Love. The more I think about it the harder it gets to choose a fav. I like seeing everyone else's picks but I think I dislike having to choose a favorite, this feels final and what if I forget a super great book. :)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 7:22:25 PM PST
drq says:
Gone Girl was a page-turning, diabolical read. Also liked Sharp Objects-both by Gillian Flynn. Such a sweet-looking young author to write such dark, demented tales

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 7:47:01 PM PST
D. Arnold says:
Here are two other threads that have this same question. Lots of recs on the oldest one which is for the each month and the entire year. The other is just for the best of 2012.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdThread=Tx1ZB6L999831SD

http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ti?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx200MIWZGKA3S2#Mx2MJO5TEOYKGSZ

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 3:01:04 AM PST
"Beautiful disaster" and "reflected in you"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 6:32:06 AM PST
lovebooks says:
UH OH.. forgot Gone Girl.. loved that one too!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 7:16:31 AM PST
ditto - if it doesn't make the top 5, it'll be an honorable mention

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:53:50 AM PST
L. Burns says:
While I was reading Gone Girl I was completely transfixed, but after I finished I started picking apart the storyline. Not my favorite book of 2012 but definitely up there in the top 10. I *think* my favorite was Louise Penny's Still Life; the writing was exceptional (and unexpected in a "cozy" mystery).

This was not an outstanding year for me in Romance reading. Really nothing blew me away. I read quite a few that I liked, but nothing memorable. I think I may have just OD'd on Contemporary and PNR and am not crazy about some of the new trends. We'll see what 2013 brings!

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 12:16:38 PM PST
Favorite books I read in 2012. I am sorry if the list is too long. It was difficult to choose just a few.

Contains spoilers. Also I tried to list when I believe there is sexually explicit content. However, I am going from my memory and sometimes what defines sexually explicit can be subjective.

MOST LISTED ARE CRAZY IN LOVE, JEALOUS AND POSSESSIVE HEROES MOST OF WHO YOU WOULD NOT WANT TO BE WITH THEM IN REAL LIFE

Love Left Behind by S.H. Kolee- way over the top H who would do anything for her - obsessive about her even during 5 year break. Sexually explicit content.

Lexi, this cannot be happening -Lynda LeeAnee - Warning-1 time cheating by hero, a high school senior when drunk, at the start of book. I usually cannot stomach cheating but he didn't enjoy it and I loved the book so I can make an exception. He is so needy. Neither dated much while apart. Sexually explicit content.

Beautiful Disaster by Jaime McGuire - love Travis. Very popular book so I do not believe any description is needed.

Red Flags by CC Brown - not happy ending but series so there maybe we will get one - I am hoping. Sexually explicit content.

Dark Desire: Dark Series by Christine Feehan - 2nd in the series - H is damaged mentally but recovers due in part to the h. Paranormal romance.

Dangerous Lover by Lisa Marie Rice - Homeless H met h when he was a starving teenager and fell in love. She had no knowledge of this. Comes back years later to see her. Still obsessed and carrying her picture around. Suspense element. Sexually explicit.

No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, Book 2) - Kresley Cole Sebastian, like most of the other heroes on this list would do anything for the h. Paranormal romance. Vampire turned against his will wanting to die. Kaderin the Cold Hearted the h is the Valkyrie assassin dispatched to destroy him. She blooded him instead, making his heartbeat and he made her feel emotions. She enters a life and death contest to bring back her sisters from the dead. Sebastian competes as well, taking every opportunity to use her new feelings to seduce her. But when forced to choose between the vampire she's falling for and reuniting her family, how can Kaderin live without either?

SOMETHING DIFFERENT - NOT YOUR TYPICAL ROMANCE BUT ALL CONTAIN ROMANCE IN THEM.

Flawed by Kate Avlyn - abuse, mental ill and obsessive brother, murder of h, not a happy ending but compelling.

The Edge of Never: by J.A. Redmerski - life threatening illness, life changing road trip.

Find You In the Dark by Meredith Walters - mentally ill H - not a happy ending but the 1st part of series and so maybe we will eventually get a happy ending.

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma- most people find the book devoid of romance - heart breaking including the ending - Flowers in the Attic theme - not for most people but if you can handle incest by two sympathetic siblings teenagers then you may like the book.

Forbidden by Abbie Williams - initially the reader is lead to believe that is book has the same theme as Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma except between an uncle and niece. This is not the case. Sexually explicit lcontent.

Finding Home by Bonnie Dee - H is a prostitute who the h helps leave the business. Sexually explicit content and the h is older than the H who is in her early 20's.

Breaking the Silence by Katie Allen - The H is sexually abused as a child and the h is raped during the book. Sexually explicit content.

HORROR BOOKS WITH THE FOCUS ON SEXUAL OBSESSION AND TENSION OF THE ANTI-HERO OF THE H.

Crimson Kiss (Pinnacle Horror) and Crimson Night by Trisha Baker. Horror books that contain a trace of romance depending on your viewpoint as to what constitutes romance. Simon, the antihero who I will label as the H, is totally obsessed with Meghann but unlike the other H's on this list, he is willing physically to hurt her to get what he wants. Also while they are together, he is faithful to her. This is a three book series that is out of print. Loved the first two but did not read the 3rd because of the bad reviews. Meghann is the h who was living1940s' is seduced and transformed into a vampire by the evil Simon.. After being manipulated and controlled by him for 13 years she kills him and escapes but only to find years later he didn't die and now wants her back! Simon starts to target Meghann's friends like Jimmy her human lover, and her vampire friends. It begins a cat and mouse game of seduction, hate and love that spans decades and includes Meghann becoming pregnant. Sexually explicit content.

Taken By The Wind by Charlotte Boyett-Compo. Like Crimson Kiss and Crimson Night - horror with an anti-hero, this time a serial killer.
Brenna, the h, witnesses a murder. A brutal serial killer has been running loose. Dubbed the Gemini Killer, he has been murdering pairs of twins. The killer becomes fixated on her and pursues her across several states and over time. Kylan Cree, a cop, is one of many who are trying to catch him. He and Brenna become close, but details of his past slowly come to the forefront. Sexually explicit content.

Erotica
Ral's Woman: 1 (Zorn Warriors) - Laurann Dohner
His Purrfect Mate (Mating Heat, Book Two) - Laurann Dohner

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 1:51:20 PM PST
AllySophia says:
This is hard, and I'm going to avoid stating obvious ones.. Also, i lost a whole bunch of books midyear, so slightly easier.. Here goes. (There is a real mix of books here, but everything comes with the highest recommendation)

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days) - easily number one, strong, kick ass heroine, and the H? dark, surly, and doesn't know what he ha till it's gone. Don't take my word for it, d/l the sample. It is stunning.

Veiled Eyes (Lake People) - I just noticed this one was free, very good, and it's intro is SO good that you can just read the sample and be straight away hooked.

The Winter Bride classic HQN, surprises pregnancies, betrayal, pride, it has it all.

Poison Princess (Arcana Chronicles, Book 1) I love Kresly Cole. But who doesn't ? This is one of my favourites of hers, just out.

Billy Bob Walker Got Married (Harper Monogram) this is a classic tale of bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks meets upper crust girl. Seems its available (maybe copyright has expired?) through scribd?

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 5:54:02 PM PST
This was really tough. I read a lot of great books this year.

Favorite sports romance series: Kate Angell's Richmond Rogues beginning with Squeeze Play (A Richmond Rogues Novel).

PNR: Tie: Cherise Sinclair's Hour of the Lion (The Wild Hunt Legacy) & Patricia Briggs's Cry Wolf.

Romantic Suspense: Kaylea Cross's Out Of Her League.

Erotica: Lainey Reese's Damaged Goods (New York).

Contemporary Series: Bella Andre's Sullivans beginning with The Look of Love: The Sullivans, Book 1 (Contemporary Romance). (Though Jill Shalvis's Lucky Harbor series and Marie Force's Gansett Island series were both close.)

Romantic Comedy: R.L. Matthews's Perfection (A Neighbor From Hell).

Plus-size Romance: Angela Verdenius's Cop's Passion (Big Girls Lovin'). (I'm pushing it with this category as it probably should just be considered part of contemporary, but I couldn't leave this one out.)

Harlequin Presents: Kelly Hunter's The Man She Loves to Hate (Harlequin Presents).

Harlequin Superromance (and biggest happy surprise): Kathleen O'Brien's The Vineyard of Hopes and Dreams (Harlequin Super Romance).

If I were forced to pick just one, I'd pick the last, Ms. O'Brien's Vineyard of Hopes and Dreams. It is a second-chance romance with outstanding character development and the most believable HEA I read all year. I am still blown away by how good it was, especially for a Harlequin category romance. I left a long review on goodreads, including a list of the other books in the series (that I had to dig up myself).

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 3:19:30 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 26, 2013 6:32:37 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 6:10:52 AM PST
L. Johnson says:
Anonymous, you're spamming the boards and as a result NO ONE is going to give your book a try. Please take your business to the Meet Our Authors forum. What you are doing here is against terms of service on Amazon. And it ticks potential customers off.

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 6:39:48 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 27, 2013 1:57:13 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 6:52:30 AM PST
bknyfinest1 says:
If you're talking strictly romance, Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin) was my absolute favorite.

In other genres, The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey. This book was my favorite.

I also started reading the Harry Potter books for the first time so this Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) made my list of 2012 faves too.

AND finally I read The Hobbit which also made my list of faves. Actually this one and the HP book both made me cry like a sucker on my train ride home from work. Definitely keepers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 12:28:18 PM PST
LTR says:
Elizabeth, can I make a suggestion? I clicked on the Vineyard of Hopes and Dreams and there are no reviews for the book. I bet Ms O'Brien would really appreciate your review as it may encourage some people to buy her book. I know I just bought it based on your post! Looking forward to reading it.

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 3:07:18 PM PST
Thief of Shadows by Elizabeth Hoyt

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 8:47:16 PM PST
LTR says:
Okay, I've just been reading everyone else's posts because I figured there's no way I can pick just one -- and I think if I go just by books I keep thinking of, books that I remember the book name and author's name, it would have to be either Breaking the Silence or BEAST. But then there's Kristen Ashley's Sweet Dreams (Colorado Mountain Series). Oh well, I'm going to have to think about this some more.......

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 10:09:06 PM PST
adh says:
Wallbanger
Gabriel's Inferno
Slammed and Point of Retreat
Thomas & January
Bed of Spices
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions