Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Suggestions for heavy and angsty contemporary reads?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 23, 2012 5:53:32 PM PST
Hey guys!! I am so tired of all the erotic, light and simply silly romance novels being really pushed on us as readers. Anyways, I'm looking for something that is very emotionally heavy and angsty and well written. Suggestions

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 5:58:21 PM PST
Arual says:
I liked In the Shadow of the Dragonfly by M. Jean Pike.

And this one isn't contemporary, but it doesn't get any emotionally heavier or angsty-er: Alyx by Lolah Burford.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 7:17:32 PM PST
Russo says:
Which authors do you normally read? There are the more established authors who right both angst/emotional with an erotic edge like, Lauren Dane, Shayla Black or Maya Banks. I will say though that I haven't been thrilled lately with some of their work.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 3:16:32 PM PST
Most of LaVyrle Spencer's books.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 7:48:55 AM PST
Sherylb says:
Not sure about angst but these were very emotionally heavy. Hopeless and The Final Piece. Btw both are considered YA/NA.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 9:31:15 PM PST
I don't consider it erotica but it does have heav scenes but Kristen Ashle has tons of books.... Rock Chick Regret is huge but deals with rape, otherwise any of the others r good

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 10:12:51 PM PST
Mary Bellomo says:
Definitely Fallen from Grace. Angsty, emotional, and heavy.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 11:22:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 12:20:22 AM PST
Camille says:
Omg I'm on the hunt for books like this, too. I like the emotion and angst... I get tired of the repetitiveness of the silly eroticas/light reads.

I definitely second Fallen from Grace.

Are you only looking for books with an HEA? And what is the age range you're looking for?

The following are books I found to be excellent, with more emotional depth than many books have. These are mature YA books that fit this description AND have an HEA:
Wake by Abria Mattina (long read)
Find You in the Dark by Meredith Walters-- assuming there's an HEA, but second book is in the works.
Hopeless by Colleen Hoover (this one has already been mentioned)
The Edge of Never by J.A Redmerski
Collision Course by S.C Stephens

Super angsty/emotional YA reads WITHOUT an HEA, but are amazing reads (difficult subject matters):
My Only by N.K. Smith
Defy the Stars by Stephanie Parent

Non-YA stories w/ HEA that I think fit the description:
A Needful Heart by J.M. Madden
Sweet as Sin by Inez Kelley
Bared to You (plus sequel) by Sylvia Day-- again, assuming there will be an HEA, but third book is in the works. This one's angsty, but def erotica.
Bone Deep by Bonnie Dee (not historical, but not contemporary)
Poughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia
Finding Home by Bonnie Dee
On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves
One Summer by Karen Robards

All these are contemporary except for the one, and they are ones that I enjoyed reading :)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:30:17 AM PST
Camille , does 'wake' have an HEA? I heard the h dies.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:50:52 AM PST
Shenanigans says:

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 6:10:47 AM PST
Robin Wilson says:

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 6:55:34 AM PST
Brandy Perry says:
Hi athenadsb: I am not Camille but to answer your question 'wake' does have a HEA. great book.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 7:42:45 AM PST
Bling says:
I third Fallen from Grace!

The Sweet Gum Tree by Katherine Allred - I think this is one of the most emotional, angsty reads that people talk about.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 3:40:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 3:40:51 PM PST
Camille says:
Yep, Wake has an HEA. Read it, it's great!

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 12:24:09 AM PST
A. Wan says:
I think Kristen Ashley's Three Wishes fits 'angsty', 'emotional' well (:

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:39:36 AM PST
I just finished Hopeless and altho it is described as YA I am certainly not that and enjoyed it very much. It is a book that can be read by a mother and her YA daughter because there is much to discuss afterwards. You get very heavily invested in the characters and find that there are layers and layers of secrets that come undone little by little. This book has a great deal of sadness in it but a shining ending. Two young people with a lot to overcome who love each other and you know they will make it as they go thru their lives.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:46:20 AM PST
A Customer says:
Take This Regret - I cannot recommend it enough. Super angsty.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:54:15 AM PST
bsedam says:
Binding Arbitration it made me cry, but you need to read the prologue book first Cutters Vs. Jocks, A Prequel Novella to Binding Arbitration

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 11:26:00 PM PST
Shenanigans says:
I really liked this book but towards the end it just got so weird. I felt it sort of ruined it for me. The book couldve done with the paranomal stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 12:05:07 PM PST
beachbaby says:
I didn't care for the paranormal parts either but overall Bonding Arbitration was full of angst.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 10:30:39 AM PST
LitJunkie says:
The Bronze Horseman. Sooo heavy and angsty. Loved it.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 11:09:27 AM PST
For angst and romance and suspense and a bit of paranormal - try Hyde, an urban fantasy by Lauren Stewart and the sequel that was just published, Jekyll. Really, really good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 3:36:25 PM PST
Book Worm says:
Samanthassj - question about Jekyll. I liked Hyde, but am not liking series books with cliffhangers at the moment. Given how Hyde ended (when I read Hyde was ok with cliffhangers series), I have a couple of questions about Jekyll. Is it the last book? Does it have a cliffhanger ending? I know I will read it, but I want to know if I can read it now, or what until I have got over my cliffhanger/series slump. Thanks
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
19 Sep 17, 2015
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
145 19 days ago
M/M Loan Thread 445 25 minutes ago
Biker Romance Part 2 5667 27 minutes ago
Free Today Third Edition 430 29 minutes ago
Loan Me Thread V. 6 9464 33 minutes ago
HP Discussion thread number 2 518 43 minutes ago
Dear romance author I am sick of.... 956 52 minutes ago
FREE on Kindle = Oldies from the 70s, 80s or 90s 1104 53 minutes ago
Dear book buying confessional........ 8423 58 minutes ago
one & only ever - give each other v-cards 7 1 hour ago
Other woman lies to get Hero 74 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Dec 23, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions