Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Hero initially intensive scorns, dislikes or is cruel to heroine but grows to love her.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 83 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2010 10:01:06 AM PST
Mae Adamson says:
I am looking for books where the hero is scornful of, cruel to or treats the heroine like chattle but grows to love her. Any recommentdations other than Stormfire and The Silver Devil appreciated.

Examples of the type of book I am looking for: Kingdom of Dreams by Mc Naught, Fires of Winter by Linsey and To Have and To Hold and Lily by Patricia Gaffney

Posted on Nov 25, 2010 9:31:03 PM PST
T. Smith says:
Almost all Diana Palmer books.

Posted on Nov 26, 2010 4:24:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jul 16, 2011 5:37:38 AM PDT
Adnana says:
Blake, Jennifer - Royal Seduction (though, in all fairness, the H is cruel to the h because he thinks she's someone else)
Kinsale, Laura - Shadowheart
Kleypas, Lisa - Then Came You
Phillips, Susan Elizabeth - Kiss an Angel

And, if you're willing to try some HPs, I recommend:
Bond Of Hatred (Harlequin Presents) by Lynne Graham
Price Of A Bride (Harlequin Presents) by Michelle Reid
The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain (Harlequin Presents) by Abby Green

Posted on Nov 27, 2010 5:09:53 AM PST
Saki says:
Sunset Embrace by Sandra Brown (Historical Western)
Texas Chase by Sandra Brown (Contemporary)
Only His by Elizabeth Lowell (Historical Western)
Lions and Lace by Meagan McKinney (Historical, Victorian - I hate this book but you may like it.)
Prime Time by Sandra Brown (Contemporary- but written in 1985)

Most of these were written in the 80's-early 90's so be forewarned :)

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 11:44:04 PM PDT
Sandra says:
I would say all of the Ice series books by Anne Stuart, though you don't really see the loving side of the heroes, they only thaw a bit

Definitely Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Philips- but I couldn't stand the hero, I just couldn't forgive him for what he did, even if it was an "accident" and it just seemed like he used the heroine for sex, I hated that (but its strange, I hated that book, but I really liked the Silver Devil- maybe because the hero there was absolutely crazy about the heroine and never thought about abandoning her, he always wanted her, the hero from Kiss an Angel didn't seem as in love IMO)

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 6:14:35 AM PDT
B. McClure says:
Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas. H thinks at first that h is sleeping with his father.
Susan

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 7:23:44 AM PDT
Unfaithful Wife (Harlequin Presents Plus, No 1779) is one of my favorites along this line. H treats his wife horribly because he was blackmailed into marrying her. Once he realizes she is innocent and starts understanding what her life is like (because of her father and his own actions), he's just delicious.

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 3:53:57 PM PDT
Vanessa says:
Crime of Passion Lynne Graham it's a Harlequin but H was pretty mean to her, calling her names and saying that she has been w/ lots of other men. Of course when he finds out he feels horrible.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 6:03:00 PM PDT
V says:
After the Night by Linda Howard
Fearless by Diana Palmer
Texas! Chase by Sandra Brown
The Velvet Promise (can't think of the authors name)
Rhy's Redemption by Anne Mcallister

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 7:06:57 PM PDT
"The Velvet Promise" is by Jude Deveraux

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 7:15:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2011 7:21:25 PM PDT
MBAButterfly says:
I read that in The Velvet Promise the H loves another when he marries, but after he marries, does he physically cheat on his wife?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 7:34:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2011 7:44:13 PM PDT
MBAButterfly,
I've read this one so many years ago.
He's in love with other woman(very evil one) but I don't think he cheated on heroine(his wife).
So I think it was an emotional cheating.

I just checked "Our Vanessa's The Famous Cheating List"
And she stated as definitely emotinal cheating.
So there, no physicall cheating.

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 8:25:07 PM PDT
Switch 625 says:
Breathless by Anne Stuart -- I'll put this as delicately as possible (*light spoilers*): The hero hates the heroine's family so much that he orchestrates her ruination. He doesn't think that's enough, though, so he pretends to be her friend, and then kidnaps her, once he's won her trust. Near the end, he allows the heroine to suffer humiliation and mistreatment, despite the fact that he's fallen in love with her. I never forgave him for what he put her through, though, and I'm just as mad at the heroine for forgiving him! Disgraceful!

It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas - Hero is a real snob towards the heroine, but he wisens up. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 8:51:32 PM PDT
Through A Glass Darkly,

I agree about Breathless. The 'Hero' (loose usage) maintains his, ahem, prick...liness too long for my taste. It's too bad Stuart didn't redeem him a little better (I'm not talking about an epilogue with babies but some plot twist that would have suited).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 9:23:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2011 9:26:46 PM PDT
Switch 625 says:
Absolutely! I was cheering the heroine during the ending at the lake. I thought it was hysterically wicked revenge! A.S. should have written that scene much differently, though, with the "hero" left in the heroine's wake and groveling after the her for months. That would have made me feel a *little* bit better.

ETA: I forgot about the heroine's "Pink" revenge. That was a great scene! :D

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 9:04:25 AM PDT
Justin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 2:37:58 AM PDT
Prisoner of my desires Johanna Lindsey

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 11:41:25 AM PDT
Observation - most of Elizabeth Lowell's older works involve the H being an icehole to the h for much of the book - until she's all but suicical in fact. Then it's like, "oh, you weren't a royal b%$@! like all other women. Sorry about that. No hard feelings, right?" Too bad one of her heros didn't meet up with whatserface from Lord of Scoundrels. Hahah!

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 7:36:33 AM PDT
Litty57 says:
Dream a Little Dream by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 9:59:03 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 29, 2012 9:59:11 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 11:21:46 AM PST
The Price of a Bride by Michelle Reid. The h is emotionally abused and manipulated by her icehole father and forced to marry the H in order to regain her daughter (who is being raised as her sister). The H was also blackmailed into the marriage to obtain his father's home island which he had made a death bed promise to acquire. The H/h are required to produce a boy child which the h's father can leave all his money to. The H is resentful and the h is not allowed to tell him her real reasons for agreeing, so he treats her with contempt. This starts to unravel when her daughter undergoes emergency surgery and he sees how upset she is.

Gold Ring of Betrayal also by Michelle Reid. The H's father doesn't like the h and manipulates the situation so the H believes she was unfaithful and the child she bore him wasn't his. He banishes her to his London house until their daughter is kidnapped for ransom. He and his assistant are instrumental in getting her back and the H (who never stopped loving the h, but would deny it) moves both h and child back to his main estate to keep an eye on them. The grandfather had for some time realized he made an error because of how hurt his son was, and he realized he would never get to see his only grandchild unless they got back together. He still isn't above baiting the h, however.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 12:09:53 PM PST
JSV says:
Silver Lining by Maggie Osborne

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 12:27:07 PM PST
Lori says:
The Hellion Bride by Catherine Coulter is a good one. I loved the first half of the book, and liked the second half. The first half was simply heartbreaking.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 1:37:49 PM PST
readtoomuch says:
The Unwanted Wife by Natasha Anders fits

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 5:38:16 PM PST
Double D says:
JSV, I just had the most marvelous afternoon that I have had in a long time. This book, Silver Lining, was one of the best books I have ever read and I want to thank you for the recommendation. I haven't been reading too much lately but that book sparked my interest and kept it. At first I was afraid I wasn't going to like the outcome, but of course everything worked out wonderfully. I honestly would like to read a book about the brother Wally and see what happened when he went to Sante Fe.

Thank you again. I loved this book. Now I am going to go buy Breathless by Anne Stuart. That one sounded good too.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
105 Jun 10, 2014
Please suggest romances in which the heroine saves not only... 4 22 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #3 6304 22 minutes ago
Loan Me Thread V. 6 5046 41 minutes ago
Dear book buying confessional........ 6159 1 hour ago
Mafia/ Mob Romance Books 116 2 hours ago
books I'd like to see on Kindle 48 3 hours ago
A message to all on Romance forum 32 3 hours ago
2014 A to Z Book Title Challange 65 3 hours ago
2014 Author Challenge 43 3 hours ago
Second Chance Romance 3449 3 hours ago
ILLNESS 39 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  55
Total posts:  83
Initial post:  Nov 25, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 48 customers

Search Customer Discussions