Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Quirky relief for the 50 shades of repetition weary:

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 3:06:49 AM PST
None says:
Now sure,I love me some hardcore alpha as much as anyone else does....

And yes,the storyline of the good girl reluctantly being seduced into the erotic world of said hardcore alpha WAS a fun ride...."WAS" being the key word!

At least it WAS for the first of the 4-5 books I read that followed this formula....

But, now it seems that just about EVERY book I've picked up in the past 3 weeks I find that authors can't seem to resist relying on this OVER USED theme.

As I try to get into reading a lot of the recommended books I just find myself muttering
"Yeah, yeah,Big surprise> hero is a troubled millionaire into BDSM
and
"Yeah, yeah,Oh and Golly Gosh that heroine sure is such an innocent girl>
I can't imagine what will happen next"

NOT!!!!

Thus my quest for the elusive three R'S began....:
"Refreshing Relief Reading"
You know the type>
something surprisingly different and "UNBURDENED"..

Something that Doesn't require me enduring the reading of the next stale submission scenario just to get to the heart of the story (if there even is one)!!

Help is needed from those who have escaped this mind numbing vortex:
Any Romance subcategories welcome:

Maybe silly but satisfying ? ..

Maybe a romantic fantasy or paranormal
Maybe a contemporary that's just a little offbeat?...

Maybe an "oldie but a goodie"
or maybe your favorite palate cleanser go 2's that had you laughing or smiling or just remembering with a sigh?

Enjoying "Wallbanger" by Alice Clayton got me started on this mission and led me to now finding"Holly and Her Naughty E reader" by Julianne Spencer.
(currently offered free ).
So far "Holly and Her Naughty E reader" has been a surprising delight!
Which led me to asking here on this forum>
Where are all the stories from authors who think outside the box?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:18:48 PM PST
for what its worth...

Behold, Here's Poison excellent period piece, wonderful characters.

The Scarletti Curse very murky gothic with hot scenes. (pnr)

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies Series) an H with a difference.

Murphy's Law i love the dialogue.

and just about anything by jak et al, from her pnr to comtemporary Amaryllis to Hidden Talents

these are more in the palate cleanser genre than quirky.

totally off topic, but i notice you have already had a visit from the down vote fairy and you started the topic. it must be something like a software issue, not an intentional thing. obviously no one is so stupid.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:56:11 AM PST
DVC Bunny says:
How about Alice Clayton's Redhead books The Redhead Revealed (The Redhead Series) or The Unidentified Redhead (The Redhead Series) or the hilarious Seduction and Snacks (Chocolate Lovers #1)

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 1:09:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 1:17:49 PM PST
Jean says:
I hear you!!! I loved Fated by S.H. Kolee. The sex was hot and the h was not a young virgin. One of the best romances I've read lately.

ETA - I know some people didn't care for it, but I really liked Accidentally on Purpose for offbeat and different.

I missed your last question about looking for authors who think outside the box but I wanted to say that I was thinking about this earlier this week. About how we romance readers can be quite a fickle bunch - there must be a certain formulaic pattern, there must be no cheating, and there must, absolutely must, be an HEA or we write bad reviews.

But then, if the author does everything "by the book", we write bad reviews and complain it is too predictable. Authors must be terrified to write anything even slightly outside the box!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 5:06:33 PM PST
DVC Bunny says:
Hi Jean - like you I really liked accidentally on purpose.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:38:38 PM PST
G. Vo says:
I know what you mean, and you should try Jill Mansell! I love her, I've actually laughed out loud reading her novels. My favorite is To the Moon and Back, but she has tons of great books. Definitely a good palate cleanser. I like Jennifer Crusie too. Some light contemporaries are sometimes what's needed.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 2:14:37 PM PST
None says:
Another enjoyable find:
Officer Says "I Do" (Semper Fidelis. Always Faithful.)
Jeanette Murray (Author)

Cute story of what happens when you mix a straight laced uptight marine and free spirited hippie chick with a drunken spur of the moment Vegas marriage

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 12:19:43 AM PST
How about All I Ever Wanted (Hqn) by Kristan Higgins? The two leads are so delightfully awkward with each other, and the whole cast is pretty hilarious. This one makes me laugh out loud. Plus the end is sweet.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 4:31:33 AM PST
acmer says:
I thought this would be about that parody book, Fifty Shades of Earl Gray. I don't join discussions about the original (I use that word losely) Fifty Shades and all its spawns because I thought the story (using that word losely, too) alternated between Blah and Blech. So having not enjoyed it to begin with, I'm not sure what to suggest to "cure" it... maybe go back to a classic, get a fresh start. Something like Georgette Heyer's Friday's Child? Can't think of anything more unlike Fifty Shades of Gray, starting with that it's actually good and has no sex.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 4:42:41 AM PST
oh yes ..it is getting old. I enjoyed it too at first but now I need a break , new themes. The plot is much used that it had become boring.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions