Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on Tikes
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Abused heroine

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 134 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 7, 2011 2:54:36 PM PST
I just finished reading Blue Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas and Saving Grace by Julie Garwood. Both featured an abused heroine. I really enjoyed both books, and was looking for some other titles featuring such heroines in both contemporary and historical romances.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2011 3:17:10 PM PST
DoraLady says:

Does it matter what kind of abuse? I know SAVING GRACE is by a husband.

KNIGHT OF DESIRE by Margaret Mallory
- Husband abuse physical/sexual.

- beaten by priest .

HIGHLAND WISHES by Leanne Burroughs
- mental/physical abuse beaten by father.

RIDE THE FIRE by Pamela Clare
- sexually abused by brother

SURRENDER by Pamela Clare
- heroine falsely sent to prison, branded by uncle and sold as a servant.

HIS WICKED WAYS by Samantha James
- h sexually abused at her keep, by unknown man.

COMANCHE HEART by Catherine Anderson
- Heroine sexually and physically abused by step father.

KEEGAN'S LADY by Catherine Anderson
- Heroine given to a man/men (not sure if more then one) for sexual pleasure.

Here is a quick list of some of my favourites. Of course I am sure I forgot some. I am sure I will think of more.

Posted on Feb 7, 2011 3:27:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2011 3:29:41 PM PST
American Historical:

Surrender by Pamela Clare - h is abused by uncle- later nearly raped- rescued by H

Ride the Fire by Pamela Calre - h was molested by step-brother

If His Kiss is Wicked by Jo Goodman - h is attacked and beaten severely and goes to the H for help

The Price of Desire by Jo Goodman - h was molested as a child by father

The Last Highwayman by Katherine O'Neal - h was emotionally abused by parents/ attacked by father

Stealing Midnight by Tracy MacNish - h was kept locked in cages/ attacked by dogs/ forced to work with corpses by insane father

Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'Connell - h beaten/ left for dead by father

Maverick Wild by Stacey Kayne - h was raped

The Prize by Beth Williamson- the h was chained in a basement by a madman and raped

Comanche Heart by Catherine Anderson - the h was abused as a child but a couple dozen men

The Last Chance Rescued Series by Christy Reece, especially:
Rescue Me #1 - h was horribly beaten/raped, left for dead and reinvents herself
Run to Me #3 - h horribly abused not only in present time but also has a history of it
Last Chance #6 - h has horribly scary history with a psychotic ex

The Darkest Hour by Maya Banks - the h held prisoner in a South American camp/ abused

Dream Man by Linda Howard - h was beaten and horribly attacked/ molested

Star Bright by Catherine Anderson - the h has an abusive husband

Posted on Feb 7, 2011 3:31:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2011 3:33:32 PM PST
MelissaB says:
Shelter Mountain by Robyn Carr (2nd in series, abused by ex-husband)
Whispering Rock by Robyn Carr (3rd in series, heroine was raped)
Surrender by Pamela Clare (h is betrayed and abused by uncle, beaten by her owners then almost raped and killed by Indians - then she meets and is saved by the hero!)
Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas (heroine was abused by relatives)
Heartbreaker by Linda Howard (heroine was abused by ex-husband)
Carolina Moon by Nora Roberts (heroine was abused by father)
This Is All I Ask by Lynn Kurland (heroine was abused by father)
Dance Upon Air by Nora Roberts (h was abused by ex-husband)
Ride the Fire by Pamela Clare (h was abused by step brother)
Honor's Splendor by Julie Garwood (h was abused by step brother)
His Wicked Ways by Samantha James (h was raped)
Enchanted by Elizabeth Lowell (h was raped)
Keegan's Lady by Catherine Anderson (h was abused by father, raped by someone)
Comanche Heart by Catherine Anderson (h was raped, other abuse)
White Nights by Susan Edwards (h was abused by husband, meets H when pregnant with her 3rd or 4th? kid which I thought was different)
Beautiful Girl by Shiloh Walker (h was raped)
Fragile by Shiloh Walker (h was raped)
Dream Man by Linda Howard (h had been attacked and almost raped)
Mine to Possess by Nalini Singh (h was abused as a child - 4th in a series, must be read in order!)
Prairie Embrace by Rosanne Bittner (h is abused by husband, meets hero while married if that bothers people)
Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs (h was abused and raped, werewolf romance series)
Warrior's Heart by Georgina Gentry (h was raped and bore a child from it which made her an outcast since her son is half-Native American)
Lone Wolf by Sheri Whitefeather (h abused by ex-husband)
Coming Undone by Lauren Dane (h abused by ex-husband, hotter book)
Brave Heart by Lindsay McKenna (h is raped and abused)
Breed True by Gem Sivad (h was abused by deceased husband)

Posted on Feb 7, 2011 3:56:23 PM PST
Noelle says:
Marry Me (Zebra Historical Romance) by Jo Goodman-historical western-h is abused by father
The Wives of Bowie Stone by Maggie Osborne-historical western-h is raped by stepfather for years.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2011 4:01:49 PM PST
Check out Robyn Carr's Virgin River Series. Read in order. You'll love number 3

Posted on Feb 7, 2011 4:03:42 PM PST
ICA says:
Baby Love by Catherine Anderson (h abused by stepfather)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2011 11:30:16 AM PST
cruisegirl says:
WOW Melissa B, how do you remember all the specifics of each book!!! Great job on compiling this list. Good suggestions too, some of which I haven't heard of so I am eager to read them.

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 12:04:29 PM PST
P. Babzani says:
Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks.

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 12:06:04 PM PST
P. Babzani says:
Oh and I second Star Bright by Catherine Anderson. I just finished it!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2011 12:09:31 PM PST
MelissaB says:

I keep an abused heroine shelf on Goodreads so I just looked at that for recs :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2011 12:25:29 PM PST
cruisegirl says:
That is such a good idea to categorize your books based upon a particular plot. I should start doing that, I always forget what the book is about the minute I finish it because I read so many!

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 12:55:06 PM PST
Long Night Moon by Theresa Weir. h is married to a physically and emotionally abusive husband, and the H is a reporter who is trying to get the story of her "perfect" life only to discover she is definitely NOT living the life of a spoiled rich wife which he initially thought.

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 1:01:40 PM PST
Bill Bee says:
Dolores - Try The Bartered Bride by Mary Jo Putney. Heroine and her young daughter are captured by pirates. She suffers rape and worse. The hero discovers her in a slave market about to be auctioned off. The Eastern prince who wants the hero to do business with him buys her and bargains with the hero. In order to free her he must complete several deadly trials including making love to the heroine under with the prince as an audience. I know it sounds like an unlikely plot but Putney manages to make it work. I liked the book and intend to reread it some day so I kept a copy. - Bill

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 2:21:08 PM PST
Sassafras says:
Maybe someone can help me out, but I seem to remember that some of the women in Sarah McCarty's Promises series and Hell's Eight series had at least one abused heroine.

I just finished "Unguarded" by Tracy Wolff. The heroine was tortured and raped, resulting in a scarred body. Heroine is emotionally tortured--fiance committed suicide 3 months before their wedding.

Jordan Dane's Sweet Justice series' features character Jessica, a bounty hunter-kidnapped, abused, scarred as a child. This still haunts her throughout series.

Also, try going to Under "Readers' Choice," you will find "less than perfect," "beauty is in the eye," and tormented heroines categories. These listings, along with Amazon forums have been invaluable resources.

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 4:01:54 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 5:59:07 PM PST
Historical: Whisper of Scandal by Nicola Cornick--h is emotionally abused and finally beaten by her husband. He's dead at the beginning of the book but his friend and exploring partner (the H) believes the lies her husband had told him.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2011 8:23:19 AM PST
cruisegirl says:
I love these recommendations, the story sounds fascinating however I just hate when the plot sounds so good only to find out it is one of those short Harlequin Romances with approximately 260-280 pages. I hate short books like that. To me the plot sounds so good and the author could go so much farther with the story but because of certain publishers, they have to keep it to a certain word limit! To me it's not worth the money when the book is that short.

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 8:42:28 AM PST
Noelle says:
right now I'm reading Into The Fire by Anne Stuart. I'm loving this book and it will be one that I read over and over I'm sure. Anyway the h was raped as a teenager (wich is relived through flashbacks). The H is a friend of her cousin and to me, not the typical Anne Stuart anti-hero. I'm not quite finished with it but it does seem like the h was at least mentally abused or just neglected by her family.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2011 9:25:13 AM PST
Noelle says:
OHH, I have Whisper of Scandal (Scandalous Women of the Ton Trilogy) by Nicola Cornick in my tbr, I'll have to move it up on my to read list. =)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2011 9:27:01 AM PST
I totally agree. It seems like the trend is toward shorter books these days, as if everyone has ADD and can't concentrate on a story long enough to finish it! Once I invest the time into getting to know some characters and their world, I want to stick with them for a while, and if I _really_ like them, I don't want the book to end.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2011 9:49:12 AM PST
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. My library has some of them. Will give those a try first.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2011 9:51:49 AM PST
cruisegirl says:
Maria, I couldn't agree with you more! It's like who the heck wants to read a book under 300 pages???? They actually have books that are under 200 pages as well....No thanks! How can you honestly get into the meat of the couple in that amount of pages. Harlequin seems to have alot of plot lines that I would be interested in but I feel like it's a waste of my time to even read something so short. I used to read these kinds of books in terms of length when I was 13, we are adults, give us some credit, give us some substance in a book!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2011 10:17:37 AM PST
I hope you like it. Let us know. I love to hear what others think of books I've read.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2011 10:21:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2011 10:21:42 AM PST
CruiseGirl, I hear you. To me, a short book is really just a short story, like what you'd read in a magazine at the dentist's office, or as you said, something I would have read as a kid. When I read a NOVEL, I want to be swept away into another time and place and get totally involved in the characters' lives, so I feel like I know them and really care about them. You just can't do that in 200-300 pages.

But maybe we are in the minority? I know a lot of people like to blow through a bunch of short books and are primarily focused on plot, in other words, they just want a short story. *shrug*
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
19 Sep 17, 2015
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
145 20 days ago
Loan Me Thread V. 6 9477 3 minutes ago
BBA (a.k.a Books Are Not Babies) 9535 5 minutes ago
2015 Favorite Book of the Month and Year Challenge 268 10 minutes ago
Thanksgiving Weekend Reading 49 14 minutes ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 5 7111 15 minutes ago
Need to find a book: she's a physical therapist, he needs her help. I think he's a hockey player? 3 52 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #4 8303 1 hour ago
What is going on w/ Christine Feehan 0 1 hour ago
Silhouette Desire - To quote "Touch And Go" - Lets go straight to No.1 2221 1 hour ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 3196 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  59
Total posts:  134
Initial post:  Feb 7, 2011
Latest post:  13 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 57 customers

Search Customer Discussions