Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Abbie Glines WTF???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 23, 2012 12:46:11 PM PST
Sugar Snacks says:
Just venting my frustration with yet another cliffhanger romance. I hope this isn't becoming the norm. In case any authors read this: I read romance for the happy endings. Okay, I feel marginally better.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 3:49:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 3:50:36 PM PST
Amyalissa says:
It's getting to the point that I have to wait and see if people say there is a cliffhanger before I start any newly released books. I don't mind a series, as long as the books have some type of closure to them...so I get the feel that I read a complete story. However, I cannot stand when the books ends mid-scene.
The book that sent me over the edge with this trend was The Proposition. Now, more authors I really like are starting to pick up this trend - Abbi Glines and Jessica Sorensen. I know there are others but I can't think of them right now.
I just hope this is a quick fad that will die out very quickly. Please, just give me a complete story!!!

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 4:43:28 PM PST
Which Abbi Glines has the cliffhanger? I haven't read any of hers yet and need to know what to avoid.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 4:44:49 PM PST
Mercered says:
Fallen Too Far...I was really disappointed after I read this.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 4:59:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 5:04:06 PM PST
curlygirl04 says:
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this frustration. I just read The Proposition four days ago and it did end almost mid-sentence. I'd was like "What!?" what a scam! I have no intention of getting the next book, I could care less what happens to h/H.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 6:13:22 PM PST
Sugar Snacks says:
Thanks everyone for leaving a reply. Like Curlygirl stated, I'm glad to not be the only one that feels this way.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 6:55:16 PM PST
CMommy says:
I almost feel like Abbi Glines is jumping on the band wagon. Her books are getting racier and racier and now she's starting with installments.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 7:40:46 PM PST
atiptoes says:
I finished Fallen too Far last night and was so mad. UGG! I don't even want to read the next book. I guess I didn't realize this was a series with continuing main characters when I started it.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 11:39:44 AM PST
I wonder if this trend will stop only when they get backlashes from the readers. If readers are not buying the sequels, either they forget or didn't care, then maybe they will starting writing complete stories again. It is actually sort of risky for them to do that because readers have some many choices out there these days. Although excited at the time after they finished the first book they forget or the momentum is lost by the time the next one comes out and already moved on to something else. I was like that with a couple of sequels, lost interests by the time it comes out (often months afterward). There is a reason why the sequels always have lesser ratings and reviews than the first book.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 11:50:58 AM PST
bsedam says:
I was also like give me a break. My problem will be that I won't remember the next book by the time its released to buy it, even if I want to.I'm trying to keep track of Syvia Day, this one, Raine Miller, Smanth Towle, Tiffany Snow, Jodi Ellen and Lisa Renee Jones next books. My list to remember keeps on getting longer. All a potnential HEA that I will forget or miss, because I will have forgotten it, since the story could not be completed in one book. Sigh.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 4:37:27 PM PST
atiptoes says:
There are atleast 10 sequels I am trying to remember to read right now. Way too many. It feels like work keeping up with all these books now (especially since so many are very similar), I spend more time looking up stuff than I do reading some days.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 8:33:20 PM PST
ClaireS says:
I understand the frustration, I'm feeling frustrated too at all the cliffhangers we've been getting. What I hate most is the lack of warning that the book is part one of a series. I guess it's part or the marketing strategy to not announce the book as a series so by the time we discovered that we are hooked by the cliffhanger ending? Lol.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 11:05:22 PM PST
Melanie says:
An unanticipated cliffhanger ending will not hook me, but it will put that author on my do-not-buy list.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 1:20:30 AM PST
B. Lim says:
That why I refuse to read books end with cliffhanger. My brain can't seem to remember anything that much.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:58:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 5:59:18 AM PST
Beeg Panda says:
She was always an auto buy for me. I even have her Existence series, despite the fact that I probably won't read them because I'm not into paranormal. I got it simply because she is the author. That's how much I love her work: good, clean, YA Romance, very well written, just enough angst, wonderful heroes and sweet heroines and HEAs.
And now this non HEA complete with cliffhanger. I can't recall being this disappointed in an author. Truly, I am saddened. Its one less top notch author on my auto buy list. I kept an eye out for this book from the minute she announced that a new book was in the pipeline. Did I miss that it was a planned installment read?

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:18:52 AM PST
Jean says:
I, too, am a little less likely to quickly one-click these days. I read reviews very closely to see if anyone mentions a cliffhanger. I won't be fooled like that again.

On the plus side of installment books, someone on this forum tipped me off to Tiffany Snow's newest installment book, Blank Slate (Kindle Serial) which is a planned, 9-part serial that you PAY FOR ONCE!! Every two weeks the additional installments are added to the book you have already purchased. What's nice about this (besides the only paying once thing) is that I can choose to read the installments as they are released or wait until I have them all. It's a win-win.

Why can't they all be this upfront? In my opinion, the planned serial makes it fun - not frustrating.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:41:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 5:42:24 AM PST
TrishaLouise says:
I was so disappointed in Fallen to far!

If I had known it was a two part book there is no way I would have bought it. She was all ways an auto buy for me but now I will question future books before I buy them. I hope the author's clue in before they alienate fans....

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:44:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 10:55:33 AM PST
BookHawk says:
I just read last week or so The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden (The Coincidence Series Book 1) and wanted to punch this book trough my kindle.I looked through reviews and missed that it ends on a cliffhanger.I hate this new tread of books being duology and trilogy its curtailing my buying in this genre.Like author of this post I want a HEA!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:31:27 AM PST
Atunah says:
Ugh, I am really getting sick and tired of this carp. I have been seeing that one on the top of the bestseller list. It is also listed under romance. It doesn't say anywhere on the description that it is not a complete book but a part of one.
How is it a romance when there is no end of any kind. That is what makes me mad the most.
I read Easy and loved it and now I can't find anything else in this "New Adult" genre that isn't a chopped up mess, but rather a true romance. If you are going to stick it in the romance genre, at least learn what the genre is.

Its books like these that are turning me off the NA before I ever gotten deep into it. I just don't trust any of these authors anymore.
They are being dishonest by not disclosing what their books it. Its all out of greed. I can't believe this book is at #2 in total kindle sales. The more these type books sell, the more the clueless authors think they can stick them into romance.

For now I guess I have to stick with traditional published stuff, until they too start that carp.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:39:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 11:40:22 AM PST
alice weikel says:
I have to agree with you. Too many series to follow. Jami Aldean seems to always finish her books and no cliffhangers. Love the Pardise series. Four books in the series, but each one is about a different couple. GREAT SERIES!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:52:08 AM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Atunah-
I also have a major problem with books placed in the Romance section when its clearly not romance!

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:50:44 PM PST
T. L. Haddix says:
Atunah, hi! *waves like a crazy woman*

So I have a question as a writer. Please don't kill me for asking it, as I genuinely want to know. Say if a writer releases a three-part series, and there are three couples featured, one per book, but one of the main characters from the first book doesn't get her HEA until the third book (but the other two couples do, one per book), is that okay? I completely get the frustration on having to buy six separate novellas/novels to get the full picture for the same heroine/hero. But if there are happy endings, just not a pivotal character's, does that change your perspectives on the books?

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 6:38:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 6:40:42 PM PST
Sugar Snacks says:
My frustration is not necessarily with series romance. There are many series that I enjoy reading, even some that star the same couple like Colleen Hoover's Slammed duet. What bothers me with Abbie Glines' newest release is that:

1. She didn't advertise it as part of a series, especially since she has never done this before. And also because the RWA guidelines for romance clearly state that a main criteria for romance novels is a happy ending. If its not advertised as part of a series I'm going to expect a happy ending.

2. The book ended at an extremely low point with everything left unanswered. It felt completely unsatisfying. Other romance series that feature the same couple (Twilight, 50 Shades, Slammed) had endings for each book that answered some questions and there was some sort of transformation for the main characters. Even if they weren't together at the end of the first or second books I still felt satisfied with the progression of the story because it felt like something was accomplished. I didn't feel that way with Fallen Too Hard because the heroine was exactly the same person she was at the start of the book, just completely devastated too. It was depressing, and did I already say unsatisfying? Seriously, it felt like I wasted my Sunday when I got to the end. It's like the story ended mid-climax - mid scentence almost.

What I enjoy about series books is that they allow me to revisit characters and settings that I love to read about. I am completely addicted to Robyn Carr's Virgin River series and Julie James' FBI/DA series. But each story NEEDS and beginning, middle, and end! Please! Don't end it in the middle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 7:12:12 PM PST
Emma says:
I'm glad I'm not the only person who felt like it ended in the most depressing place ever. I was really upset with the way she left things.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:17:21 PM PST
Atunah says:
Hi, waving back :)

That doesn't bother me at all in that example. Many romances, especially in historical I read are set up that way. Like Eloisa James Duchesses series. I think its 7, so characters from the early books eventually get their HEA. But each book is its own story basically, each couple in each book gets their end. One character has to make it to book 7 if I remember correctly to get their day lol.
There can even be an overarching theme throughout the books. I like recurring characters that way. Or Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series.
But just ending a book in the middle of a cliffhanger with no conclusion with the couple until the next book is really frustrating. Its not really romance then.

To me that is less a series but a book in parts.

Am I making sense? It is late after all and I can't find the right glasses for the computer right now lol.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
105 Jun 10, 2014
Heroine is endangered by his actions/carelessness 37 12 minutes ago
Hero is damaged or broken, physically or emotionally. Almost like hermit/recluse hero novels. 20 19 minutes ago
wanted: kindle romance bargains ($3.99 or less) by established authors that are good (no self-promos or ya/na) 504 31 minutes ago
great nice guy who is a freak in the sack 59 47 minutes ago
Hilarious mistakes in (mostly self-published) books 7153 1 hour ago
Distinterested heroine, Obsessive hero 33 1 hour ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 21 1 hour ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #3 2484 1 hour ago
Loan Me Thread V. 6 3417 1 hour ago
Silhouette Desire - To quote "Touch And Go" - Lets go straight to No.1 1139 2 hours ago
Book version of Mindy & Danny? Great unrequited love, friends to lovers? Or frenenies to lovers? 0 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Dec 23, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions