Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

historical romance - physical handicaps with h or H?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 23, 2011 10:22:08 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
Like the overcoming of physical hanicaps in Historical romance for love despite society, family fears and so forth. Loved Candle in the Window by Christina Dodd, and Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale. Need some more to read

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 10:48:11 AM PST
DoraLady says:
THE PERFECT BRIDE by Brenda Joyce - Regency
- hero's one leg is injured during the war.

Homespun Bride by Jillian Hart - Western
- heroine is blind
Harlequin, free ebook

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 12:27:46 PM PST
Lord Carew's Bride (Signet Regency Romance), hero is lame;
Winter Garden, will be re-release in 2012, hero has amputated leg;
Anne's Perfect Husband, hero has shrapnel in his body;
His Secret Duchess (Harlequin Historical Romance), not sure I remember right, hero lost a leg?
My Lady's Dare (Harlequin Historical #516), hero has birth defect;
Gambler's Heart (Harlequin Historical), hero is badly burned
With this Kiss, hero has burns over large parts of his body
Lady Ware's refusal (not sure, can't find the link), hero is blind
Misfit Match (Harlequin Regency Romance), hero has scars and lame arm
Gallant Waif (Harlequin Historical), hero is lame?
The Blackmailed Bridegroom, hero has scarred face,
Simply Love, hero is scarred, lost arm;
This is all I ask, hero is blind;
Dancing with Clara (Signet Regency Romance), heroine is in wheelchair
Prospero's Daughter: A Novel, heroine is in wheelchair
Move Heaven and Earth (Harper Monogram), hero is paralyzed;
Reforming Lord Ragsdale (Signet Regency Romance), hero misses eye?
The Guarded Heart (Super Regency, Signet), hero is lame?
The Unlikely Angel (Signet Regency Romance), hero has club foot
Taming Lord Renwick (Zebra Regency Romance), hero is blind
Beguiled (Harlequin Historical), heroine is mute?
Lord St. Claire's Angel (Zebra Regency Romance), heroine is crippled
The Gilded Knight (Zebra Regency Romance), hero has club foot
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Berkley Sensation), hero has Aspberger;s
Silent Melody, heroine is mute and deaf
Miss Wonderful (Carsington Family Series), hero has PTSD and a limp
Castles, hero has a limp
The Prize, hero is scarred
To Beguile A Beast (The Legend of the Four Soldiers), hero misses eye
To Desire a Devil (The Legend of the Four Soldiers), hero was torturedMost Unconventional Match (Mills & Boon Special Releases), hero stutters
The Veil of Night (Signet Eclipse), hero can't be in daylight
The Music of the Night (Signet Eclipse), heroine has scars from small pox
The Raven Prince, hero has scars from small pox

There are plenty more but I have to stop and get back to work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 12:26:39 PM PST
D. Arnold says:
Awesome! Thanks so much for info.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 12:45:06 PM PST
D. Arnold says:
Thanks, found them and I am ready to read!!!

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 3:23:04 PM PST
SocialReader says:
Wow! Really great recs. I'm furiously writing them all down:)

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 8:20:04 PM PST
Pattie B. says:
I saw this is all I ask was posted, but Lynn kurland has another one it is actually related heroine is crippled it is called If I had you it features Anne of fenwicke and Robin de Piaget

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 9:16:38 PM PST
Red Rose (Regency Romance) by Mary Balogh, h has limp

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 10:04:00 PM PST
It is If I Had You.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 3:22:21 PM PST
Sara Lindsey says:
Taken from All About Romance (http://likesbooks.com/disabled.html)

MEDIEVAL
Velvet Touch (1996) by Catherine Archer - HH-322 - Lady Fellis Grayson has a club foot.
The Winter Mantle (2002) by Elizabeth Chadwick - Simon de Senlis has a limp due to a previously broken leg.
Heart of the Night (2001) by Taylor Chase - Claire Darren has a crippled hand.
On Bended Knee (1999) by Tanya Anne Crosby - Seana has a lame leg.
Candle in the Window (1991) by Christina Dodd - Lady Saura of Roget is blind, as is Sir William of Miraval.
The Heather Moon (1999) by Susan King - Tamsin Armstrong has a deformed hand.
This Is All I Ask (1997) by Lynn Kurland - Christopher Blackmour is blind.
The Devil's Mark (1995) by Joanna Makepeace - Janeta Cobham has a birthmark (devil's mark) on her chest.
Lord of the Dragon (1995) by Suzanne Robinson - Juliana Welles has one short leg and limps badly.
The Vow (1994) by Mary Spencer - Lady Margot Le Brun stutters.
The Edge of Light (1990) by Joan Wolf - Alfred the Great suffers from debilitating migraine headaches.

REGENCY
Dancing with Clara (1994) by Mary Balogh - Clara Danford is crippled and unable to walk.
Lord Carew's Bride (1995) by Mary Balogh - Lord Hartley Wade has a paralyzed arm and is crippled.
Red Rose (1986) by Mary Balogh - Rosalind Dacey has a severe limp.
The Prodigal Hero (2000) by Nancy Butler - Simeon Hastings is missing a hand.
Prospero's Daughter (2003) by Nancy Butler - Miranda Runyan is scarred and confined to a wheelchair.
Move Heaven and Earth (1995) by Christina Dodd - Lord Rand Malkin is paralyzed due to stress.
Miss Dornton's Hero (1995) by Elisabeth Fairchild - Lord Evelyn Dead is psychologically scarred from war.
The Silent Suitor (1994) by Elisabeth Fairchild - Sarah Wilkes Lyndle is blind.
Miss Ware's Refusal (1990) by Marjorie Farrell - Simon Ballance is blind.
Gallant Waif (2001) by Anne Gracie - Jack Carstairs is scarred and has a limp.
The Guarded Heart (1987) by Barbara Hazard - Owen Kingsley has a lame leg.
An Infamous Army (1937) by Georgette Heyer - Col. Charles Audley suffered loss of arm.
Entwined (1997) by Emma Jensen - Nathan Paget, Marquess of Oriel is blind and somewhat scarred.
Reforming Lord Ragsdale (1995) by Carla Kelly - Lord Ragsdale has a mutilated eye and wears an eye patch.
Summer Campaign (1989) by Carla Kelly - Major Jack Beresford stutters.
Amelia's Intrigue (1995) by Judith A. Lansdowne - Geordan Talbot, Earl of Rutledge, secondary character, suffered a brain injury and is considered "slow."
A Devilish Dilemma (1998) by Judith A. Lansdowne - Chadwick Brunfield has a leg injury.
Legion's Ladies (1996) by Judith A. Lansdowne - Jocelyn Elders is semi-crippled by the end of the book.
The Phantom Lover (1979) by Elizabeth Mansfield - Captain Henry Thorne has lost a leg.
The Unlikely Angel (1998) by Nadine Miller - Justin Warre, Viscount Sanderfield has a club foot.
The Dastardly Duke (1998) by Eileen Putnam - Hannah Gregory is deaf.
The Christmas Gift (2000) by Jeanne Savery - Jack Princeton suffered a leg injury and uses crutches.
Taming Lord Renwick (1999) by Jeanne Savery - Lord Renwick is blind.
Lord St. Claire's Angel (1999) by Donna Simpson - Celestine Simons is plain and has disfiguring arthritis.

EUROPEAN HISTORICAL
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (2009) by Jennifer Ashley - Lord Ian Mackenzie is mad.
Winter Garden (2000) by Adele Ashworth - Thomas Blackwood is scarred and has difficulty walking.
Silent Melody (1997) by Mary Balogh - Lady Emily Marlowe is deaf.
Simply Love (2006) by Mary Balogh - Sydnam Butler lost and arm and an eye and is covered in scars.
As You Desire (1997) by Connie Brockway - Harry Braxton is dyslexic and illiterate.
The Spymaster's Lady (2008) by Joanna Bourne - Annique Villiers lost her sight from a blow to the head.
Bride (1995) by Stella Cameron - Justine Girven is a lame spinster.
Miss Wonderful (2004) by Loretta Chase - Alistair Carsington has a limp.
Moonspun Magic (1988) by Catherine Coulter - Victoria Albermarle is partially lame.
England's Perfect Hero (2004) by Suzanne Enoch - Robert Carroway suffers from PTSD.
Valentine (1995) by Jane Feather - Sylvester Gilbraith has a recurring debilitating illness.
Castles (1993) by Julie Garwood - Colin, Lord Hallbrook has a limp.
Shadows of the Heart (1996) by Tracy Grant - Paul Lescaut has a ruined hand.
His Every Kiss (2004) by Laura Lee Guhrke - Dylan Moore suffers tinnitus from a head injury.
Waiting for the Moon (1995) by Kristin Hannah - Selena had a brain injury/aphasia/amnesia.
Taken by Storm (1995) by Danelle Harmon - Colin Lord has a leg injury and a permanent limp.
The Seduction of Sara (2001) by Karen Hawkins - Nick Montrose suffers from debilitating migraine headaches.
The Convenient Marriage (1934) by Georgette Heyer - Horatia Winwood has a stammer.
The Raven Prince (2006) by Elizabeth Hoyt - Edward de Raaf, Earl of Swartingham, has smallpox scarring.
To Beguile a Beast (2009) by Elizabeth Hoyt - Sir Alistair Monroe is missing an eye and two fingers.
Beast (1997) by Judith Ivory - Charles d'Harcourt has a damaged eye, a facial scar, and sometimes walks with a limp.
Untie My Heart (2002) by Judith Ivory - Stuart Aysgarth has a stutter.
Broken Wing (2008) by Judith James - Gabriel St. Croix cuts himself out of self-loathing for his prostitute past.
Every Wish Fulfilled (1997) by Samantha James - Lady Heather Duvall is lame.
A Notorious Love (2001) by Sabrina Jeffries - Helena Laverick has a lame leg.
Entwined (1997) by Emma Jensen - Nathan Paget, Marquess of Oriel is blind.
Seek Only Passion (1993) by Deanna James - Robin Whittcombestone has an eye patch.
Speak Only Love (1993) by Deanna James - Vivian Marleigh is mute.
Every Wish Fulfilled (1997) by Samantha James - Heather Duval is lame.
The Perfect Bride (2007) by Brenda Joyce - Lady Blanche Harrington suffers from PTSD and Rex de Warrenne lost a leg.
The Veil of Night (2005) by Lydia Joyce - Lord Raeburn has a mysterious illness requiring that he live in darkness.
A Most Unconventional Match (2008) by Julia Justiss - Hal Waterman stutters.
Flowers from the Storm (1992) by Laura Kinsale - Christian Langland suffered a stroke and is considered mad.
The Prince of Midnight (1990) by Laura Kinsale - Sophochles Trafalgar is deaf in one ear and suffers extreme vertigo, appearing drunk most of the time.
The Devil in Winter (2006) by Lisa Kleypas - Evie Jenner stutters.
Midnight Angel (1995) by Lisa Kleypas - Lord Lucas Stokehurst lost his hand and has a hook.
The Betrothal (1992) by Arnette Lamb - Blake Chesterfield is dyslexic.
Blue Moon (1999) by Jill Marie Landis - Noah LeCroix has lost an eye and is scarred.
The Duke's Return (1999) by Malia Martin - Trevor Phillips, Duke of Rawlston is dyslexic.
Lord of Shadowhawk (1992) by Lindsey McKenna - HH-108 - Tristan Trayhern has a club foot and Alyssa Kyle is blind.
Yours until Dawn (2004) by Teresa Medeiros - Gabriel Fairchild was scarred in the war and is blind.
The Thorn and the Thistle (1997) by Julie Moffatt - Rolf St. James has a deformed hand.
Beguiled (1998) by Susan Spencer Paul - HH-408 - Lady Lily Walford is mute.
Silk and Shadows (1991) by Mary Jo Putney - Lady Sara St. James is lame.
Veils of Silk (1992) by Mary Jo Putney - Ian Cameron lost an eye and suffers impotence from a long imprisonment.
Reckless (1992) by Amanda Quick - Phoebe Layton is partially lame.
Deception (1993) by Amanda Quick - Jared Ryder has an eye patch.
Surrender (1990) by Amanda Quick - Lucas Mallory Colebrook has a limp.
Dancing at Midnight (1995) by Julia Quinn - Lord John Blackwood has a limp.
The Duke and I (2000) by Julia Quinn - Simon Basset, Duke of Hastings has a stutter.
When He Was Wicked (2004) by Julia Quinn - Michael Stirling suffers from the aftereffects of malaria.
Tapestry (1995) by Karen Ranney - Dixon Alexander Weston has a disfigured face and a crippled hand.
Beauty and the Beast (1996) by Taylor Ryan - HH-342 - Claymore Perfect is in a wheelchair.
Love Is Blind (2006) by Lynsay Sands - Adrian Montfort, Earl of Mowbray, has a scar from the corner of his eye to his mouth.
Castle of the Wolf (2007) by Sandra Schwab - Fenris lost his leg in the war.
Devotion (1996) by Katherine Sutcliffe - Trey Hawthorne has a head wound which leaves him disabled.
Never Doubt I Love (1995) by Patricia Veryan - Peregrine Crawford has an artificial limb.
Precious Bane (1924) by Mary Webb - Prue Sarn has a harelip.
Anne's Perfect Husband (2001) by Gayle Wilson - HH-552 - Ian Sinclair has shrapnel embedded in his chest and is crippled.
The Gambler's Heart (1996) by Gayle Wilson - HH-299 - Jean-Luc Gavereau is missing an eye and his face and back are scarred from a fire.
The Heart's Desire (1994) by Gayle Wilson - HH-211 - Dominic Maitland, Duke of Avon has a leg deformity and uses a cane.
Lady Sarah's Son (1999) by Gayle Wilson - HH-483 - Justin Tolbert has lost a leg.

AMERICAN HISTORICAL/FRONTIER
Wild Western Bride (1990) by Rosalyn Alsobrook - Mark Gates is crippled and in a wheelchair.
Annie's Song (1996) by Catherine Anderson - Annie Trimble is deaf.
Keegan's Lady (1996) by Catherine Anderson - Ace Keegan limps and has a crooked smile.
Innocent Deception (2002) by Gwyneth Atlee - Ben Chandler has a prosthetic leg.
Wait for the Sunrise (2000) by Cassandra Austin - Winn Sutton is blind.
Just a Kiss Away (1991) by Jill Barnett - Sam Forester lost an eye and wears an eyepatch.
The Portrait (1995) by Megan Chance - Jonas Whitaker is a manic-depressive.
Protecting Jenny (2000) by Ann Collins - Cole Bryant lost a hand.
The Wedding Ransom (1998) by Geralyn Dawson - Maggie St. John has rheumatoid arthritis.
The Tiger's Woman (1981) by Celeste DeBlasis - Jason Drake has a crippled leg.
Lawman (1997) by Laurie Grant - HH-367 - Cal Devlin has lost an eye.
Maggie and the Maverick (5/1999) by Laurie Grant - HH-461 - Garrick Devlin had the lower part of his leg amputated.
Violet (1996) by Leigh Greenwood - Jefferson Randolph lost an arm.
The Beloved One (1998) by Danelle Harmon - Charles de Montforte is blinded in battle.
Chances Are (1996) by Robin Lee Hatcher - Drake Rutledge lost an eye.
Never Love a Cowboy (2000) by Lorraine Heath - Harrison Bainbridge becomes crippled.
The Outlaw and the Lady (2001) by Lorraine Heath - Angela Bainbridge is blind.
Texas Destiny (1997) by Lorraine Heath - Houston Leigh has lost an eye, is severely scarred, and has only partial hearing.
After Innocence (1994) by Brenda Joyce - Sophie O'Neill has a limp.
Texas Wild Flower (1983) by Tammie Lee - Jean Lafitte has a club foot.
Simple Jess (1996) by Pamela Morsi - Jesse Best is mentally impaired.
The Gamble (1987) by LaVyrle Spencer - Agatha Downing has an injured hip and limps.
Sweet Annie (2001) by Cheryl St. John - HH-548 - Annie Sweetwater's one leg is shorter than the other & she often uses a wheelchair.
From This Day Forward (1997) by Victoria Thompson - Adam Ross has a crippled leg and uses a cane.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 3:35:33 PM PST
D. Arnold says:
This is fabulous!! I will be reading from your list for months....I especially love the American list. I find it hard to find good ones. Thanks a bunch!

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 6:35:54 PM PST
Pattie B. says:
Angela, yes I listed If I had you. But kurland's This is all I asked also fits this forum since Christopher is blind and that is also a handicap

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 3:19:30 PM PST
K_La_AnNe says:
Okay there's one I've been trying to remember the name of and I don't see it listed.
It's about this knight that's really scared and has muscle pains so he's basically cripple. He was really well known and feared in battle (he had a name like black wolf or something scary and animistic) He used to have this great army and was lord of his lands but since he's always in so much pain he is always drinking/drunk something happened and bad people somehow got into his holdings andhurt people so he left and his Cousin/Uncle (relative of some kind) took over and he and his loyal right hand man left he lived in a hovel and drank all the time. But this lady who is afraid of losing her lands comes to ask his aid and the aid of his army. She gets him to come with her for a moral boost and she ends up helping him work through his knotted muscles and he becomes better and is able to move around a more and more with her help. but there's this line I always remember where she tells him to go get a mistress, and he says he will. he'll get ten then looks at his hands (and he's missing part or a whole finger) and says well nine

The finger thing really stuck with me because it was so funny

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 4:07:51 PM PST
Breathless (The House of Rohan) - this is book 3 in the series, but Lucien the hero has a scarred face and walks with a cane (haven't figured otu what happened to him yet though)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2012 4:31:36 PM PST
D. Arnold says:
Once A Knight by Christina Dodd, is the book you are writing about. I just loved that line.

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 4:41:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2012 4:42:45 PM PST
J. Collins says:
K_La_AnNe - I think you are thinking of Once a Warrior by Karyn Monk. The hero, Malcolm, was once known as the Black Wolf, but after a tragedy his cousin took over as laird of the clan. Malcolm lives with his friend Gavin until the heroine Ariella, initially disguised as a boy, comes to enlist his aid in training the people of her town how to fight. I love this book and reread it every few months!

Edited: Oh, I see that D. Arnold has gotten the right book! I didn't realize there was another book so similar to Once a Warrior. I am going to have to go and read Once A Knight now!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2012 4:45:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2012 4:55:14 PM PST
K_La_AnNe says:
You're right J. Collins that's it! It wasn't christina dodd because the girl was dressed a boy at first because i think it even took the hero a little while before he figured out. Thanks I loved that books!
That's funny though that they're kind of the same and their names are similar too

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 10:46:54 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
bump!

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 7:22:36 PM PST
L. G. Vernon says:
One of my favorites along this line is BLUE WALTZ by Linda Francis Lee.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 12:41:35 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 12, 2012 1:30:47 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 2:21:20 AM PST
Shattered Dreams h has a limp
When Beauty Tamed the Beast H has a limp?
Bond of Blood H has a club foot
Tapestry H is horribly scarred
Lord of Ice H is tormented by memories of war

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 9:02:44 PM PDT
L. Kukla says:
I am looking for a book that I read about 10 years ago. It's about a woman who has a webbed hand. It's historical and I can't remember if it took place in england or scotland. I am 99 percent sure it was scotland and it was a romance book. I hate it when you can't remember the name of a book, or even just the author. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Lisa From Michigan

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 12:59:31 AM PDT
Lynn Kersten: Heart of the Tiger Heroine has a couple of webbed fingers on each hand and wears special gloves.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 1:27:22 PM PDT
mary balogh has one with the hero back from war with the loss of eye. Hope I have not confused this with another author. You know how it is when you read so many.

Posted on May 29, 2012 2:19:52 PM PDT
I really need to find this historical romance that I thought was a Johanna Lindsey but it isn't, it is about this evil woman who pokes out the eye of this knight and cuts off one of his balls leaving him for dead. A gracious lady of the realm takes care of him and they fall in love. What is the title and who wrote it?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Dec 23, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 30, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions