Customer Discussions > Romance forum

HP discussion. Good bad and inbetween.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 18, 2011 10:58:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2011 11:02:21 PM PDT
seton says:
MIgirl -- I read PHANTOM MARRIAGE during my PJ period when I was barely older than the h in the story myself. I was meh reading it. Then I thought about it some more . . . .

There is a scene where the H gives a ride to the h and her BFF. I thought of the many times my friends' father gave us a ride while in high school and thought about how I would if any of those fathers had made an advance towards me and that's when I started going WTF!

I couldn't believe that the H got all pissy about the h's phantom love life. (Like any good ole PJ heroine, she didnt have any, of course. For TEN YEARS!)

Ugh. I can't believe that nobody has ever mentioned this bk before because it deserves to be more notorious but at the same time, glad of it because of the bad memories. It's a WTF book.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2011 11:05:39 PM PDT
Michigangirl says:
Wasn't he kissing on her in the car and feeling her up while the friend was asleep in the back?

That part was gross, I kept having nasty flashbacks to the MM book where the heroine and hero are going at it in the pool with their teen daughter also in the pool with them.

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 11:08:53 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
Phantom Marriage was pretty icky, he wasn't that old though was he? For some reason I thought he was like 24 or something which wasn't too icky but still the thought of someone's dad EWWW!

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 11:27:29 PM PDT
seton says:
re: the car scene in PHANTOM MARRIAGE
I dont remember exactly what happened - hey, it was MANY yrs ago - but I remember that it was a pivotal scene because that was when the sexual tension started happening which is why I remember it all these yrs. It was also a setup that a lot of us can relate to. Except for the creepy older dude staring at one's breasts, that is.

All part of the book's old skool icky charm. :-)

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 11:33:04 PM PDT
Michigangirl says:
It says he's in his late 20's. I think he was 24 or 26 when he got married.

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 3:56:53 PM PDT
Vanessa says:
I know, I know it's not an HP but it's the H w/out the P. Does that count? It's Lynne Graham's Crime of Passion. I really liked that one. I didn't like the way he treated her but when he found out I think he redeemed himself beautifully! I felt like he was truly hurting when he thought she had given that which he felt was his alone to her step brother as well as many OM, but of course she didn't. If wasn't a library book it would stay on my shelf. : )

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2011 7:24:27 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
Crime of Passion is one of my favorite LG's, right next to the Spanish Groom and Tempestuous Reunion. I love how he pretends to be broke because he thinks she only likes losers. It was really cute and she was hilarious.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2011 1:39:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2011 1:41:25 AM PDT
Books&Wine says:
I read The Girl's Guide to Flirting and Danger and see-sawed between liking it and thinking WTH. The initial premise and setup were good, but in parts of the story neither the h/H actually very maturely.
I agree with Michigangirl that the H never seemed to recognize his overbearing behavior during their marriage. He didn't show a lot of growth in the present either. Just when I thought he was coming along nicely, he acted like a spoilt little kid by lambasting the h on his radio show. And for the h to call into his show and 'aplogize' to him on air was OTT. She almost lost her career by going on the radio and then did it again. This from a woman about to recieve her license and PhD in counseling. I'm not sure that I felt that either character showed enough growth and emotional maturity to make me believe in an HEA.
Wasn't a bad book, I finished it. Just was hoping it would be better.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2011 3:29:00 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
I just did not like the book, I thought they actually regressed as the book went on and never really believed the HEA.

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 4:16:51 PM PDT
R Morse says:
Has anyone read the below article?

Harlequin is one of the publishers that does not subscribe to the agency model for setting prices for ebooks and still offers discounts on the price of the ebooks.

It is really interesting how this is taking place right now. I saw this coming when they started this policy. Sometimes publishers are so stupid.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703838004576274813963609784.html

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 10:50:07 AM PDT
Michigangirl says:
I had to share this funny thing. I just checked my shopping cart here and I get this pop up message about a price change. I don't think I'll be buying this book any time soon.

Please note that the price of The Greek Tycoon's Revenge (The Greek Tycoons) (Harlequin Presents # 2266) has increased from $2.94 to $500.00 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 11:40:55 AM PDT
Vanessa says:
You're kidding? Wow that must be a REALLY good book!! LOL!! I don't blame you for waiting.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 10:11:27 PM PDT
Michigangirl says:
Apparently they didn't have any takers for that one because I just got this one now:

Please note that the price of The Greek Tycoon's Revenge (The Greek Tycoons) (Harlequin Presents # 2266) has decreased from $500.00 to $2.94 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 6:02:41 AM PDT
Vanessa says:
OMGosh I literally LOL! They really thought someone would jump on that at $500.00? Are they NUTS? Okay I have seen this one on that site where you can read it online. scribd

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 6:49:57 AM PDT
foxtail_too says:
I've been reading Kelly Hunter's HPs (the Bennett Family series) and really laughing at the dialog. They seem very different than many other HPs. I started with Wife for a Week, which luckily turned out to be the first in the series.

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 7:12:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2011 7:13:45 AM PDT
Romance Diva says:
I just read Edge of Deception (Romance S.).

LOVED it. A total cheating/adultery book. I consider kissing your hubby's bestfriend, in your MARITAL room, with the INTENTION of having sex with him...cheating.

I loved the hero. And bless his heart for trusting her again. Took him five years, losing his bestfriend and a dead fiancee...but bless his heart.

This is a better product link, since it includes a synopsis:

Edge Of Deception (Presents Plus)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 7:13:21 AM PDT
boogenhagen says:
Some online news feed has a story about these price changes, apparently a lot of the big marketplace sellers use some kind of algorithmic program that tracks the prices of the books verses competitors and adjusts the price accordingly. Some biology book was selling on Amazon for 23 million dollars.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 7:15:47 AM PDT
boogenhagen says:
I liked the book but I think Sholto went way overboard, to me it was like he was throwing Tara at his best friend and then got mad when they almost take him up on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 7:21:07 AM PDT
Reader in NJ says:
The book was OK. Besides going overboard, I didn't care for the fact the way he compared making love with his dead-fiancee to making love with the h. I realize he was trying to make a point about that fact that he cared more deeply for the h -- hence his being scared of losing control. But in my opinion that was just TMI that the h didn't need to hear.

I think the h used poor judgement when it came to the friend, but I don't consider it cheating. If the H had done the same I wouldn't consider it cheating either. It was a mistake but one that could be forgiven.

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 8:31:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2011 8:32:35 AM PDT
Romance Diva says:
See I think Tara was immature, and Sholto had unresolved guilt. They needed those fives years. I think it's cheating if you ask a man, who is not your husband, while married to make love to you and then you indulge in heavy kissing, before you "change your mind". Ummm...she didn't know it was "wrong" before she gave the invite?

And I am ok with Sholto enjoying making love to the woman he planned on marrying. Just like I would have expected if Tara had a lover during her divorce that she would have enjoyed sleeping with him as well. It works my last nerve when one person is enclosed in ice during a break-up and the other one is enjoying satisfying physical relationships.

I don't think it can be both ways, if SHE loved him too much to sleep with anyone else, does that mean HE didn't love HER enough, hence why he's running around nailing anything that moves? The inequity is one of my HP buttons.

Tara being faithful AFTER she lost Sholto, to me, was her penance for the adultery.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 8:33:46 AM PDT
Vanessa says:
Okay I have to ask this: I have seen it in several books set in the south and perhaps it is a stereotype of the authors or maybe it's true. When you say "bless his heart" are you meaning he is a dip stick? Although when they said the other meaning as to what the really meant they used a colorful word for the second word.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 8:42:37 AM PDT
M. Nix says:
Vanessa,

It's been explained to me that YES, that's basically it. LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 9:30:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2011 9:31:37 AM PDT
Reader in NJ says:
Romance Diva,

I am fine with Sholto enjoying making love to his fiancee -- I didn't like that he was telling Tara about it and comparing how it felt to make love to the fiancee. That is information that Tara didn't need to know. If she had been with other men while they were divorced it would not have been Sholto's business to know how she liked it.

Tara was young, she made a huge mistake. However, Sholto was very unforgiving. It is a double standard. Because if the H did what Tara did we would have expected the h to forgive him because he changed his mind and didn't go through with it. With enough groveling, etc... we would have believed a HEA.

Tara paid a huge price for her mistake.

Edit to add: If the ex fiancee lived Sholto would have hurt her because there was no way he would have gone through with the marriage. He knew at that point that he still loved Tara.

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 9:36:08 AM PDT
Romance Diva says:
LOL! Yes Vanessa when I say "bless his heart", I mean he's an idiot of the first order.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 9:36:46 AM PDT
boogenhagen says:
I have to disagree, I think Sholto would have still married his fiancee because he was in love with Tara and couldn't handle it, which would have been a bigger mess IMO, but that's Sholto.
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 394 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  236
Total posts:  9832
Initial post:  Feb 25, 2011
Latest post:  9 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 57 customers

Search Customer Discussions