Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Free today

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 17, 2011 8:16:43 AM PST
Caitie Quinn says:
Another one off twitter... Maybe this is the pre-holiday free rush?

Under The Desert Moon

Haven't read it, but it looks good.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 8:29:53 AM PST
RomanceLover says:
Unlocked by Courtney Milan

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 8:37:02 AM PST
H. Nguyen says:
Trace's Psychic (Supernatural Bonds, Book One): 1

Great book!!!

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 11:25:38 AM PST
Lisa says:
It's not free on Amazon, but A Little Harmless Submission by Melissa Schroeder is FREE on allromancebooks.com only Saturday and Sunday. You can either go to the site or go to Melissa's Amazon author page, look on the top right side where she announces it's for free and it will take you on the right path.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 6:01:47 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 6:41:07 AM PST
DoraLady says:
athenadsb,

Did you even click on the link to see what book H. Nguyen mentioned? This selfpromotion gang up is going a bit to far.

Why would you think TRACE'S PSYCHIC is not a romance? It may not be to your taste, but others may like it.

Ellora's Cave is a common publisher. It used to be only erotic novels. The "Blush" line is for romances that most of us read here. Some older romance novels are being reprinted at EC.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 6:59:40 AM PST
I haven't read it yet, but Trace's Psychic appears to be a romance to me. I also see no indications that H. Nguyen is an alias of Jory Strong (the author) who appears to be a fairly prolific writer for Ellora's Cave. The book has multiple (and mixed) reviews by people who have reviewed many books by many authors. It may or may not be a great book, but the post seems like a legit suggestion and not like self-promo to me at all.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 7:18:17 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 18, 2011 7:19:33 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 7:21:47 AM PST
Reader says:
I second the Unlock rec. I bought and really enjoyed that story.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 10:37:30 AM PST
misty87mt says:
WANTED (Dead or Alive)
The Merry-Go-Round, a romantic comedy

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 10:44:43 AM PST
misty87mt says:
I'm with Doralady and Jennifer. Is it really wrong to self promote if your book relates to the discussion? I hate spam, but as for the before mentioned...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 11:29:51 AM PST
Bookgeek says:
Yes, it is wrong to recommend your own book even if it pertains to the thread topic. It's considered self-promotion and violates Amazon's TOS that states "[Amazon] will no longer allow self promotional posts in other communities. Starting on Monday, May 16th, all "shameless self promotion" activity will be limited to the `Meet Our Authors' community. Promotional threads outside of these forums will be removed."

Bottom line: if you wrote it you shouldn't suggest it. And let's be honest, how can you give an unbiased recommendation of your own work?

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 11:30:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2011 11:41:54 AM PST
Jory Strong has been around for many years as a published author and I like the majority of her many books which have been published.....I enjoyed Trace's Psychic and think it is ridiculous for someone to go off on the poster for self promoting without any sort of research on their behalf. It makes them look petty and ridiculous.

Additionally, I am in no way shape or form for authors self promoting but this is a thread to offer up current FREE reads, which I am interested in as it will give me an opportunity to read books from author's that I am not positive I want to spend money on. So I don't think shameless self-promoting would go on with the books being given away for free.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 11:41:47 AM PST
I read Trace's Psychic by Jory Strong a while ago along with the other books in the series. I can't say they were all that good but they are romance with a leaning toward erotica. Jory Strong has been a published author for many years and I see no evidence that N. Nguyen is a sock puppet for Ms. Strong.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 11:49:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2011 1:26:14 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Regardless, Jory Strong (the author whose book was recommended) has over 40 books, published by Ellora's Cave. This is a clear-cut case of NOT spamming.

I am personally getting tired of the spam police, particularly when they jump into threads that they haven't participated in, ARE WRONG (which is pointed out by other posters), and do not apologize for their mistakes. It disrupts the threads continually (like now). If we (those participating) see 'shameless self-promo' we are more than capable of determining it for ourselves and saying something (hopefully politely) if it is bothersome.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 11:56:35 AM PST
DoraLady says:
misty,

Amazon, has made mentioning your own book a no no. I do not agree with that, but that the way it is now. I understand that.

I am just getting tired of posters questioning if a book that is considered a romance book is a romance book. I feel like the policing is becoming more of a probem the posters mentioning new books.

If someone is going to question posters of their intentions at least make sure of what the poster is accusing the poster of.

I love Julie Garwood's and most of Rosemary Roger's books, if I were to ever meet her at a romance convention or if I ever email them about their books, would that mean I am now selfpromoting.

To be selfpromoting it is about your own books; AND yes, I hate the spaming that looks like real posts.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 12:09:25 PM PST
DoraLady says:
bookgeek,

In my post to athenadsb, I questioned her/him asking if the linked book was a romance or not. Why did she/he take it upon himself to take H. Nguyen to task on that specific book?

It would not have take her long to see it was a romance book. Why does she think it is not a romance book? Has she read it? I have not read it and it may not be a HEA book? I do know that that publisher deals with romances, or at least did deal with them.

I just do not like posters taking other posters to task as a light thing to do.

I feel as there are to many judges without enough jury members to keep the boards a friendly and welcome place for readers.

I can understand about not being unbiased. I had the original issue with authors not being allowed to mention their books that fit what a poster was looking for. Yes, I know that since this spring Amazon does not allow it anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 12:13:52 PM PST
DoraLady says:
HJ Leonard,

"spam police" good term.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 12:14:38 PM PST
Are there any interracial free reads on here?? Preferably those without caucasian women. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 12:24:07 PM PST
Bookgeek says:
Now if I had mentioned anything about the discussion regarding whether the book mentioned is a romance then I could understand your post. I did not comment on that topic since several other readers had already responded.

MY post responded to misty87mt's question: "Is it really wrong to self promote if your book relates to the discussion?"

misty87mt asked a question and I gave an answer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 12:25:13 PM PST
Karlyn says:
The problem lies with the fact that if Amzn did allow self promos, the boards would be slammed with over zealous spammers. It's an old subject Misty, and bottom line there were way too many authors behaving badly. So I support the policy since the abuse was so out of control. It's a pipedream to think Amzn could some how regulate "just a mention now and then" while not killing the threads. You have two choices, either come here to read nothing but advertisements or come here to discuss books with fellow readers. If you want to read ads, go the MOA forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 12:42:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2011 12:46:28 PM PST
Kate Barley says:
Self promoters will promote their book in any thread regardless of whether it fits the OP or not. I have seen this many times. Also I want recs from unbiased readers, not from authors wanting to make sales.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 12:53:33 PM PST
H. Nguyen says:
I am just another romance reader like everyone here. I actually bought the Trace's psychic book by Jory strong and liked it a lot. So I was excited to share the good news with other readers. It sure feel quite personal when I got slapped down for making a legitimate suggestion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 12:55:44 PM PST
Interestingly enough a couple of authors have recently complained about the excessive spamming in the MOA. They said the same thing that had happened in the readers forums was happening in the MOA. The thread will be asking for say romance books without cheating and authors are posting links saying try my science fiction thriller, the main character boinks his co-pilot so there's romance or try my novel about zombies, there's no romance but it's so good you won't miss it.

So while I do not endorse rudeness on the forums, I do support politely informing an author that self-promotion is against Amazon's TOS. Newbies are often unaware that it's against the rules. The authors who could simply care less are aware that Amazon doesn't moderate the forums.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 1:02:04 PM PST
Bookgeek says:
Well, I'm glad that you did make the suggestion. I like this thread because I LOVE free and often find new reads at no cost because of posts from fellow readers. Please don't let a thoughtless minority keep you from sharing your finds.

Personally, I enjoyed the Supernatural series by Jory Strong as well. I consider it Paranormal Romance. I already own the series but was pleased to see that the first book was being offered for free.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
25 May 2, 2016
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
160 9 days ago
Upcoming Releases of Romance Books with Asian Heroines... 404 4 minutes ago
wanted: kindle romance bargains ($3.99 or less) by established authors that are good (no self-promos or ya/na) 2100 12 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #5 5050 29 minutes ago
Free Today Third Edition 3343 44 minutes ago
Romances that captures your attention from the first chapter itself??? 0 45 minutes ago
Dear Book Buying Confessional (and other topics) part 2 870 57 minutes ago
Not Necessarily Clean, but Romance is the focus 9 1 hour ago
Hilarious Mistakes in Publishsed books (self pubbed or otherwise) thread 2 87 1 hour ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 4314 1 hour ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 6 2145 7 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  734
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Dec 8, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 264 customers

Search Customer Discussions