Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Lonely, shy & geeky heroines (historical & contemporary)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 74 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 17, 2012 2:21:51 PM PST
JR says:
Just remembered a historical, Georgian I think Silent Melody about a deaf girl. It was a follow up from Heartless. Both books are outstanding IMHO.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 2:44:52 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 17, 2012 2:45:20 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 5:18:36 PM PST
Reading Courtney Milan's The Duchess War and the h is a shy, quiet girl with a backbone of steel. Just started it, but really liking it so far!

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:27:29 AM PST
JennyG. says:
The Magnificent Rogue by Iris Johansen - lonely - yes, shy - at first.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 2:16:25 PM PST
One of the very first. Jane Eyre.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 5:54:37 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 24, 2013 6:43:43 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 1:50:51 AM PST
Bling says:
Morning Comes Softly (Avon Romance) by Debbie Macomber. h replies to H's ad to get married because she is incredibly lonely, she's so petite that H thinks of her as Minnie Mouse at first and is dismayed. Sweet book (and it's quite clean :p)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:20:14 AM PST
Alexa says:
bump, new recs please?:)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:34:34 AM PST
Bling says:
The Hero's Best Friend might qualify - h feels very overshadowed by her beautiful best friend.

Awesome book :)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:51:35 AM PST
I absolutely loved these. Jill Barnett's heroines are frequently lonely, shy and geeky. Mary Balogh also has many heroines who meet this description or are insecure in some way. In the Laura Kinsale book, the heroine is alone in the world.

Dreaming

BOXING DAY

Surrender a Dream

The Shadow and the Star (Victorian Hearts)

A Summer to Remember (Get Connected Romances)

The Ideal Wife (Dark Angel)

The Obedient Bride (Signet Regency Romance)

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 10:59:24 PM PST
Alexa says:
bump

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 2:47:33 AM PST
er says:
I just got done reading One Good Earl Deserves a Lover: The Second Rule of Scoundrels (Rules of Scoundrels) was not impressed but other reviewers seemed to enjoy this read.

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 10:27:53 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 4, 2013 7:07:21 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 7:01:01 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 28, 2013 8:53:17 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 7:11:23 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 11:21:32 AM PST
JennyG. says:
@ Jennifer Gropp

Self promotion is not permitted by Amazon, except in the Meet Our Authors forum! Kindly remove your post.

A) Read the posting policy of what is and is not allowed
http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/content/db-guidelines.html/ref=cm_cd_f_h_help

B) Read Amazon's post (that appeared on all forums earlier this year) that specifically says they are cracking down on shameless self promotions
http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx20TWTO4E05JYM

C) Visit the Meet Our Authors forum to self promote or learn about other authors books.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S

P.S. A forum overrun by self-promotion dies!

Example: http://www.amazon.com/forum/children

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 8:54:29 AM PDT
Alexa says:
new recs?

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 5:06:46 AM PDT
Prue says:
bump :)

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 12:14:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 29, 2013 12:01:25 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 12:00:55 AM PDT
Alexa says:
bump

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 8:12:40 AM PDT
KatieV says:
If you like spanking erotica / light BDSM there's Disciplining the Duchess

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 1:15:21 PM PDT
Magelet says:
No Strings Attached by Kate Angell <---- very much this one.
Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City Book 1) by Penny Reid
Secretive Stranger (Silhouette Romantic Suspense) by Jennifer Greene

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 1:17:29 PM PDT
Magelet says:
Love Letters: A Novel by Katie Fforde

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 1:20:31 PM PDT
Magelet says:
All by Julie Miller:
Tactical Advantage
Task Force Bride (Harlequin Intrigue\The Precinct: Task Force)
Protecting Plain Jane
Armed And Devastating

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 4:41:16 PM PDT
Sophie... says:
Exiting Lurking-dom :):

"The Shy Bride" by Lucy Monroe. An HP, but one of my absolute favs. Heroine is very shy, demonstrating a blend of agoraphobia & Social Anxiety Disorder. Also, Ms. Monroe's "The Greek's Innocent Virgin", "Valentino's Love Child", "Not Just the Greek's Wife" & recent "Prince of Secrets", have shy, awkward or retiring heroines. The books aren't as good - though I still enjoyed them, especially VLC (another personal favorite) & TGIV - as TSB, but they fit the thread.

"A Reclusive Heart", R.L. Mathewson. I'm about 80% through w/ this one, in which the h is extremely shy, awkward & insecure at the beginning. She begins to come into her own during the book but remains her essential self - shy.

"Lord of the Abyss" by Nalini Singh, a Harlequin Nocturne from a few years back. The heroine is truly ugly; it has affected all her relationships & social interactions.

By Loretta Chase, my very favorite Historical author (after Georgette Heyer): she doesn't really write shy heroines, but "The Knaves Wager" is one of her first books. The heroine is cold & withdrawn to all but her nieces. And I could make a case for the heroine in "Mr. Impossible", who is forced by circumstances to hide her many accomplishments and conform to societal expectations.

Oh! A shy *hero* from Georgette Heyer: "Foundling". I adore this book. His actual heroine is also a shy, softspoken young lady, but she remains off stage for much of the book. He is shy, retiring, has been ill & cossetted his entire life, until he strikes out on an adventure (with the girl who drives the adventure, who is far from shy. but she is *not* his heart's desire).

Finally, a naughty erotica-ish by Emma Wildes: "An Indecent Proposition". The heroine is very similar to Loretta Chase's in "The Knaves Wager": a widow who was mistreated by her husband, considered cold & extremely proper in society, not friendly or forthcoming except to a very few. Probably my favorite by Ms. Wildes.

Sorry to go on & on! Time, well, past time, to start dinner :)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 28 customers

Search Customer Discussions