Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Plot: Where do YOU personally draw the line?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 66 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 3:13:38 AM PST
Grey says:
Actually, while reading Dreams of a Dark Warrior, I really wasn't sure there was any way I could like the hero. But by the end, somehow I really did like him and was definitely rooting for him.

Usually I hate reincarnation plots, though. One book in particular that I despised was Prince of Dreams by Lisa Kleypas. Thankfully, I don't believe I've come across another book with quite the level of WTF and plot elements I dislike as it.

(Possible spoilers)

The hero was a huge a-hole, cheated on the heroine, then randomly travels to the past to inhabit the life of his ancestor, and lets himself fall in love with a woman who seems just like the heroine, and who the heroine was apparently a reincarnation of, despite having done everything he could in the main storyline to avoid falling in love. After this interlude, which had to have taken up at least 1/4 of the book, when his ancestor-self dies, he returns to the present (Victorian era) a completely changed man. Everyone else is completely baffled (including me), since the whole thing took an hour. The heroine has absolutely no memory of the events, either. So in effect, he fell in love with his great x whatever grandma, then turned those feelings to the heroine who happened to bear a striking resemblance to said ancestor. However, they grew up in entirely different backgrounds, so I really don't see how they could possibly have ended up as similar as the hero seemed to think them. And I'll stop ranting now.

That book just bothered me in so many ways.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 5:22:50 AM PST
CMommy says:
TSTL h's. I hate them! I will stop reading a book if the h has no back bone, is continuously making stupid decision after stupid decision, is indecisive, or whiny. I spend more time pissed off at the h for being so ridiculous than actually paying attention to the story itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:56:48 AM PST
M. Moss says:
@RG

There's a difference in being imperfect hero and being a jerk towards the heroine.

The books I mention to me the hero's never thought they were in the wrong they thought the heroine should have tried harder.

Really what will the future look for those couples can you really see a HEA when the hero or heroine thinks they in the right.

I love imperfect hero's because they get to redeem themselves to the heroine and us the readers.

That one Mallery book he was never sorry on how he treated the h while in high school nor for seeing a lawyer when she had told him she had no problem with him seeing his son she wanted them to have a father/son relationship.

The hero went to a lawyer because he was pissed at the h for keeping his son from him when she was under the impression that he knew and had the proof that his dead wife wrote the letter

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 7:00:54 AM PST
M. Moss says:
Sorry hit post key.

The h showed the letter to the hero and didn't believe her kind of called her a liar. He really didn't change throughout the book until the end. If an author doesn't show growth in the characters as we read through the book then how can we really believe in an HEA in their future.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 7:24:49 AM PST
"I'm my own grandfather". I've only run into that once in a Eugenia Riley book - BUSHWHACKED GROOM (Bushwhacked in Time). Gives me an ooogly feeling.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 7:57:04 AM PST
D. L. Murphy says:
I so agree with you guys but rest assured that we that feel this way are in the minority. I have come to my own conclusion that the stories are done by men really because no woman with a brain would demoralize a woman in print. I to just stop reading this type of crap and add the author to my never pay this author a cent for her trashy books. How can a woman write such trash that is more like a man's fantasy than a woman's and expect us to enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 8:35:47 AM PST
TravelingGal says:
I'll see you a TSTL heroine and raise you a Too Perfect To Live Heroine. I can't stand the heroine who is so pretty and smart and talented and sweet that everyone loves her. I like nice heroines but some of them just go too far into sugar land.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 8:59:40 AM PST
Lillian Rose says:
I think in a lot of books the author tries for so much angst/infidelity/violence/humiliation etc to the h that they write themselves into a corner where the H is irredeemable and they don't have the writing skills to get themselves out of it. So they pull the near death scene for the H, in which the h comes running. No Longer Mine - just really hated this H, and in the end he didn't have to do anything no sorry nothing, the h just runs to his hospital bedside. There was no HEA for me in this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 9:01:56 AM PST
L. Burns says:
Ah yes, the infamous "Mary Sue". Sometimes the author will make every other woman in the book cranky, skanky or 92 years old just so the heroine can outshine them all. As another poster mentioned the "too perfect" Hero is also where I draw the line. He will be (in no particular order) Rich, gorgeous, athletic, smart, faithful, love kids, love dogs, tolerate cats, apologize profusely for anything that upsets the h, talk about his feelings all day long, totally unselfish in bed, and (of course) will never/has never looked at a woman other than the h and found her even remotely attractive. Any author who writes that man should stick to Fantasy/Sci-Fi as they have a very vivid imagination.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 9:06:38 AM PST
M. Moss says:
@TravelingGal

I think those too perfect and perky heroines are called Mary Sues. Everyone wants her she only f a rte rainbows and jellybeans. Even unicorns fight each other to bow down at Mary Sue's pretty feet.

I hate the fiesty heroines too stopped reading Lori Foster for that reason, I find them annoying, they all came across as that 1940s female reporter trying to prove herself.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 9:20:57 AM PST
Amyalissa says:
Ok, I'm going to vent here about a plot device that I hate.

I have a big problem with new love interests being introduced for a pregnant heroine. The two books in which it really grossed me out were Something Blue and The Proposal. In both books the heroines hookup with doctors while they are far enough along to be showing. I'm sorry, maybe it's just me but I think it's strange when a guy hits on a pregnant woman. All I can think about is that he must have a fetish for pregnant girls...ick.

Ok, vent over. :)

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 9:21:32 AM PST
Romance Diva says:
It's silly but unless a book has been rec'd by a poster I trust, I avoid any book that has the following:

1) Reporter as a lead. H or h, hate it. I think I'm scarred from my youth that whenever one of the leads was a reporter, there would be secrets, misunderstandings and/or betrayal. I simply avoid them at ALL costs.

2) Jungle/archaeological location plots. No. Just no.

3) Married or engaged H or h, who aren't married or engaged to the H or h. Hell no. If he/she will cheat WITH you, he/she will cheat ON you.

4) ANY book written by Diana Palmer or Catherine Coulter, on the general principle that I feel like I'm reading a laundry mat. "Wash, Rinse, Repeat"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 9:22:07 AM PST
Yo says:
D. L. Murphy I agree with you that males are writing some of these books. I read one where the 48yr old married/father police chief of a small town has affair with 23yr old officer.Her promotes her newly hired self to his assistant and she gets day shift. What about the lawsuit from the experienced officer with seniority who wanted day shift so she would be home at night with her kids. He deserts his wife and young daughter and when his older son has a problem the son is wrong and doesn't understand (no joke). The OW proves herself to the town by being injured on the job by a serial killer (incompetent). She becomes a hero and all is forgiven. The H almost dies but kills the serial killer (didn't call for backup). He becomes a hero. His beautiful, kind wife understands his feelings for the OW and is OK (still in shock, she thought he was happy). His son forgives him. They all go to Thanksgiving with the husband/wife lifelong best friends. The H runs for Mayor and wins and everyone is happy how life turned out. The chief has found happiness at last. I stopped reading and will maintain til I die that this is a man's midlife fantasy of how infidelity should work out. No woman is writing this trash and calling it romance.
I read romance for the HEA's, love conqueres all. Happy sparklies raining down.
So don't feed me infideliy and want me to be happy that lives are destroyed so 2 selfish people can be together. Deleted book, and I refuse to continue reading this type of book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 9:26:26 AM PST
Romance Diva says:
Yo, what book is this so it can go on my "Avoid at all Costs" list?

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 9:34:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 9:35:15 AM PST
Yo says:
It was a freebie that I down loaded about 2 yrs ago. My order summaries don't go back that far. It was about 900 books ago. If anyone recognizes this book and was as traumatized as I was please speak up. It as one of the first books I refused to finish and I learned to use my delete button.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 9:41:36 AM PST
Ikie says:
Romance Diva, I couldn't agree with you more on all four points! When I first read the title of the thread the reporter angle was the first thing I thought of. I hate it also. It seems to me that it's just giving the character a chance to lie, steal, be pushy and annoying.

I also will agree with other posters that the TSTL heroines is a deal breaker for me. I don't ask for much, just a little backbone and self-respect.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 9:43:37 AM PST
T. L. Haddix says:
This made me laugh. Before we met, my now-husband was dating a girl. Like three dates, so just barely starting to get to know her. As he's driving her home, she tells him she has to go to the doctor the next day or something, and how it's so strange, all the ways her body is changing. My hubby is like "Huh? What are you talking about? Are you okay?"

At that point, she turns to him and confesses, "Oh, I'm three months pregnant." I can just imagine the shock on his face. Needless to say, he is *not* a guy with a pregnancy fetish, and he dropped her so fast, she probably spun in circles.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 9:48:48 AM PST
Lillian Rose says:
Yo,

Sorry, but did the so called H end up with the OW?

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 9:48:52 AM PST
M. Moss says:
What gets me about infidelity in books is the author wants every reader to think, oh well they cheated because they loved each other to much! No they had weak boundaries with the opposite sex and that is why they cheated and if they don't secure those boundaries they are going to cheat again.

Out of all affair/marriages most end because of trust issues add to that resentful stepkids on both sides and friends and family members not accepting the om/ow into the fold.

Every time they work late you know the new wife or husband is wondering if they are now lying to them like they did their ex spouse.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 9:49:32 AM PST
T. L. Haddix says:
Characters who forgive transgressions too easily, not just H/h, but from anyone, particularly family. As in, major trauma created by people against the character - childhood abuse, bullying, not believing their side of the story for something bad - and we're just supposed to believe an "I'm Sorry" muttered with insincere words three pages away from the last chapter in the book is sufficient. No. That's not how real life works. You hurt me, wound me mortally? I'm backing off. You do it repeatedly until I wise up and take myself out of your reach? I'm dam*ed sure not giving you another shot at me, and I don't give a rat's behind who you are, how you're related to me, etc.

Also, heroines who overreact, i.e., helpless females. Shrieking, moaning, gnashing of teeth? Moving on now. Can't stand it in real life, can't stand it in my fiction. Grow a pair. Life happens. Deal with it. Some of these heroines, if it were left up to them to carrying on the human race (settle new frontiers, defend against invaders, etc.), well, we'd be extinct.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 10:05:09 AM PST
Lillian Rose says:
I read an infidelity book where the H was having an affair behind h's back for about a year, one of the sons saw him out with ow but didn't say anything to the h, no one said anything to the h. The H breaks up with the h because he told her he was in love with the ow.

The H takes the ow to his sons graduation party at his parents place and the h isn't invited because the ow is coming. The h decides to not go to visit his parents or relatives and they wonder why? The h's eldest son is seeing a preachers daughter and the good looking preacher is wanting to date the h. The H/h get a quickie divorce and the H sees that the h doesn't become useless, she becomes strong and gets herself a job and goes out. The H thinks that the h is seeing her lawyer who has a reputation as a womaniser and tries to warn her about him, they are just friend but the h tells him to mind his own business. The H starts stalking her because she doesn't want to speak to him. His sons want nothing to do with him. He breaks up with the ow after only a couple of months being single. The H sees the h out with her sons and the preacher and his daughters at a social function, the preacher is getting an award from the town. The H is all sad and sorry for himself. The H tells the preacher that he is an adulterer yet the preacher is a widow and the h is divorced and they hadn't had sex, but the H was the adulterer. What makes me so mad is that the h takes the H back. Yep, he had no respect for the h at all, by having sex with ow and then coming home to h, by taking the ow out in small town where everyone can see him and ow together. Then telling the h that he loves ow oh yeah before he asks for a divorce he has sex with h. Then more openly takes the ow to family etc. Then dumps ow after a few months. To get the h back. But the ow keeps going to his place and yet he lets her into his apartment. When the h goes to his apartment near the end the ow is there with her shoes off and her feet folded under her on the couch?????? Yet the h takes the H back. That is what I hate.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 10:27:12 AM PST
Ikie says:
When the heroine is showing emotional growth throughout the book and then right at the end she does a complete turn around and is right back to the TSTL person she started out as, taking partial, if not all of the blame for something that happened in the past that she had absolutely nothing to do with!

Forgiving family or friends way to fast (if at all) for something they did to the h/H in the past that caused or supported the angst. This always just blows my mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 10:27:32 AM PST
Amyalissa says:
Ha ha ha...
Lillian Rose - While reading your description I was thinking the H must not really be the H and the h was going to end up with someone else...but no! I'm sorry but that story sounds awful. How could she possibly find any redeeming qualities in the supposed H???

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 10:33:28 AM PST
Lillian Rose says:
Amyalissa,

I don't know because I never could. I really don't understand it. I loved how she grew and got out and got herself a job and didn't wallow in self depression. She grew a back bone, which the H didn't like. The H came to her for help with his sons, he missed them and wanted the h to help him build a relationship with them again. Which she did, but he used that to build a bridge to her as well. I could never trust him, he betrayed her and humiliated her, having such a long affair with the ow, all of what he did. I want my HEA, this was not a HEA to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 10:34:26 AM PST
Yo says:
I didn't finish the book because the H was so in love and everyone understood and forgave after the OW and H were hurt catching the killer, like that made it OK. When I stopped reading the H and his very young, love of his life lover were together. Like I said it read like a male mid-life crisis fantasy. I just stopped reading and deleted. I also started sticking with books that were reviewed on the Romance Forum so I wouldn't be blind sided again.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
25 May 2, 2016
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
152 Feb 5, 2016
h helps H to win OW, but H falls for h or vie versa 23 1 minute ago
Romance with aliens that actually look like aliens 1961 9 minutes ago
Free Today Third Edition 2935 18 minutes ago
Hilarious mistakes in (mostly self-published) books 9958 23 minutes ago
Help: can't remember this shifter book 10 30 minutes ago
Dear Book Buying Confessional (and other topics) part 2 444 50 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #5 3922 1 hour ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 4894 1 hour ago
Publishing Company Ellora's Cave Suing Dear Author Blog 1255 1 hour ago
Fans of k-dramas... please help 5259 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  Jan 12, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions