Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Fanfiction

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 12, 2012 5:49:14 PM PST
C. J. Vasta says:
Fanfiction has an older history than you might think. For example there seems to be a cyclical nature of enthusiasm towards Jane Austen and many commercially published fanfiction continuing the stories many of them are in the public domain now as well. A Literary Handbook I had when I was young didn't call them fanfics, but mentioned what was essentially a Fix-fic for Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe that had Rowena dying and Rebecca converting to Christianity so she could marry Ivanhoe. There was also a story called Canterbury Pilgrims which chronicled romantic intrigue among the priciples of the Canterbury Tales.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 11:37:26 PM PST
I was wondering if any of you guys read these Twilight FanFics? If so, can you tell me a little about them?

The Transfer by bannerday
Femme Docs and Kevlar Knights by A_Cullen_Wannabe
Help Wanted by jaxon 22

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 7:26:50 AM PST
Kate Barley says:
I am waiting for you to read more Twilight fanfic and give me the good recs like Clipped Wings. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 7:56:49 AM PST
Jmv_17 says:
I would also like a copy of The Proposal if anyone has it available. I am reading Clipped Wings now and really enjoying it.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 10:03:44 AM PST
It's interesting to me how open people are being about their stories starting as fanfic, (1) b/c of the stigma (I guess that's going away?) and (2) b/c of the lawsuit potential. I would think that IF any author wanted to sue, they'd have some grounds...?

(But I'm sure most of the authors that get fanfic-ed are well beyond needing that. Or dead.)

On a related note, YA author Marissa Meyer had a huge following as Alicia Blade, a writer of Sailor Moon fanfic. Her debut series (the Lunar Chronicles) didn't get its start as fanfic, but she credits her experience with fanfic in preparing her as a writer. (Also, you can see some homage to Sailor Moon in her story, although it's subtle.)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 11:25:40 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
I don't think that there is any lawsuit potential on fanfic that has been modified to remove all references to the original work. 50 Shades, Poughkeepsie, etc...started out as Twific, but in truth, if you didn't have that tidbit of info before reading, you wouldn't guess it. And the actual stories themselves are original work of the new author, so again, no infringement. In fact, they are copyrighted and protected as well...

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 11:53:36 AM PST
Kribu says:
I think any fanfic that can actually be reworked into a brand new book of its own tends to be far enough removed from the original work that there isn't anything there that could actually be sued for - once the names and situations have been changed, it basically becomes an "inspired by..." thing at the most, and I don't think inspiration is illegal yet. And ideas and general plot points get recycled all the time. (There might be issues with fanfic that stays very close to the original work, but those probably wouldn't work as original fiction anyway. AU fic would be much easier to publish as original work, no matter whether it started life as actual fanfic or simply an "inspired by" work.)

As for the openness, it probably also depends on the original canon author's stance on fanfic. I can't imagine any fan of G R R Martin or Diana Gabaldon declare that their newly-published book is reworked GRRM or Outlander fanfic, while others feel probably more secure about the original authors not coming after them with a lawsuit (or a scathing blog post).

I'm not surprised by the fanfic-to-original-fic trend, really - as someone who has read a *lot* of fic in the past six years, I've met many authors who are brilliant, original, wonderfully creative writers, and I have no doubt at all that they could make it in the world of original fiction. In fact, I know some of my friends *are* working on original fiction (with the aim to get it published) these days. I don't think any of them are reworking their existing fanfic, though, as it tends to be more canon-compliant than AU (and it really wouldn't be an easy task to work a canon-compliant Harry Potter fic into an original work where the similarities wouldn't be too strikingly obvious).

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 12:08:24 PM PST
MBAButterfly says:
I would like the Proposal as well, I can't find it on the internet and am already 41% finished with Clipped Wings, which, if anyone has this, you would know that is a lot of locations!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 12:16:53 PM PST
So far, I haven't found anything yet to recommend. T.T
Help Wanted looked promising but...the writing/plot is kinda amateur.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 1:07:00 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Clipped Wings is so freaking long! I like it, but the constant repetition of scenes when flipping back and forth between Bella and Edward's POV is getting a bit old. No wonder this thing is like 700-800 pages long. Not to mention...get on with it already! ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 2:46:34 PM PST
"...and I don't think inspiration is illegal yet."

Lol.

I guess most fanfic I read in the past depended on your knowledge of the universe it came from (Star Trek, JAG, Sailor Moon, etc.) so it's hard for me to picture it being reworked to stand alone.

But I wasn't trying to say that these stories aren't original or these writers weren't talented! Just making discussion, that's all. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 3:58:14 PM PST
Lisa says:
Re Clipped Wings: Oh, I thought I was the only one thinking this. I kept thinking, "didn't I just read this?"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 4:00:38 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Great minds think alike, ;)

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 4:55:07 PM PST
coffeebean says:
MBAButterfly, unfortunately I do not have the pdf format of Lust or Love. It is indeed complete, but I haven't been able to find it for download anywhere. Certainly worth the read though.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 5:59:16 PM PST
MBAButterfly says:
I took the time to copy and paste each chapter of Love or Lust into word then emailed it to my kindle with convert in the subject. Worked great!

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 6:45:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2012 6:49:09 PM PST
V Tice says:
My writing started in fanfic. It was a huge playground to write within and learn, as well as provide a thickening of skin. Reading fanfic was huge for me at one point as well.

Try searching on fanfiction for:

Son of a Preacher Man
Breaking Trinity
Just the Three of Us
Alphabet Weekends
Sway
Bitter Sweet Symphony

FYI ... I didn't write any of these. no self promo. :o)

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 9:33:31 PM PST
Nancy Lee says:
Oh and there are a bunch of novels that are basically Phantom of the Opera fanfic -- the original Gaston Leroux novel is out of copyright, so it's fair game :) Haven't read any of these myself so I can't say whether any of them are any good but they definitely exist! http://www.amazon.com/tag/poto fan fic/

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 10:59:01 PM PST
Kribu says:
The overwhelming majority of fanfic in my experience does depend on knowing the original work / the universe. But in fandoms sufficiently big, there are often quite a few long completely AU stories around as well, where the only thing halfway recognisable are the characters (and often just by name and appearance, not so much the characterisation).

I don't read Twific but some of my friends do, and I gather "all-human AU" has been a big thing there for a while. And if your fanfic novel is AU and all characters are human, then it's likely far enough removed from the original work already that it could stand separately and not be immediately obvious as Twilight fanfic.

This sort of thing is much less common in my corner of fandom (Snape/Hermione), although I've come across the odd non-magical AU (and a whole lot of Regency versions), but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more common again in some other fandoms/subfandoms.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 11:08:51 PM PST
C. J. Vasta says:
Re: JAG. Both the U. S. Navy and the office of the Judge Advocate General are real enough. If you were to repackage a JAG fic, you presumably would want to enough research to show that your knowlege of the U. S. Navy did not simply come from watching a TV show.

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 3:26:00 AM PST
What I find interesting is that my friend - who works as a professional editor (text/non fiction type books) and is quite literary - has never heard of fan fiction until I explained it to her just last week! In fact, none of my friends are at all familiar w/the term or concept, but I'd have thought the editor friend might be. I certainly didn't know of it until a couple of years ago. And I still don't see how Zero at the Bone - w/Jack and Z as Dr. and professional h it man - is brokeback mtn fanfic - unless all m/m stories are?!

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 7:40:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2012 7:48:52 AM PST
Tippi says:
I love Buffy, classic Star Trek and Phantom of the opera fan fic. I especially love Phantom and would appreciate any referrals on any of these. I like stories with hot sex scenes,especially between Buffy and Spike, Kirk and yeoman Janice Rand and Christine and Erik. Must have HEA. Thanks.

Tippi

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 8:06:53 AM PST
tealadytoo says:
Being a fan of all things Star Trek, I've read a lot of ST fanfic. A lot are simply terrible. A lot are fun for a quick read, but not anything that should be actually published in a non-fan forum. But a very few are good enough to rival the published stuff, though copyright issues would prohibit it.

Although "Enterprise" is not my favorite ST series, there is a fanfic series for it called "The Protector" written by "Shi Shi" that I think is excellent. (Features the tactical/armoury office, Malcolm, and the linguist/communications officer, Hoshi.) Very intense and angsty, very romantic, very off cannon. If you Google "Warp 5 Complex" you can find the site it's published on, and you can look under "Favorite Series" to find it.

Or I could just post a link. :=)
http://fiction.entstcommunity.org/viewseries.php?seriesid=184

Starts with "The Protector's Lament" and ends with "The Protector's Holiday".
My personal favorites are Protector's Lament and Protector's Lot, though they are all good.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 9:44:04 AM PST
Nancy Lee says:
Kribu, I would love some good Snape/Hermione recs, besides the ones I mentioned above.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 10:40:30 AM PST
Kribu says:
It really depends what your taste is - I have pretty much stayed out of it apart from the SSHG Gift Exchange on LJ for the last few years (there's such a thing as too much of a good thing, and I think I overdosed!), so while I know Hannah and Cathedral Carver have a lot of fans, I don't really know what their writing is like... (I agree about Pet Project - it's the only current fic I still follow!)

But, um, out of the classics in this ship, I have a soft spot for Hayseed's Ordinary People, as well as The Fire and the Rose by Abby and Domina, and Snarkyroxy's Before the Dawn. (All are pretty old, i.e. written around the fourth or the fifth book being out, so not canon-compliant with the later books, but still great stories.) Of newer ones, Second Life by Lariope (well, anything by Lariope, really) was excellent (written post-Half Blood Prince), as is pretty much anything by Richardgloucester (my own favourites are Through Silence and A Fresh Start).

Those are all rather mild romances, not erotica, with an of-age Hermione (although she's still at school in many of them).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 11:08:44 AM PST
Nancy Lee says:
Thanks, Kribu. I only got into this fandom a couple of years ago so your recs are all new to me. I'm going to go look them up!
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
20 Jan 4, 2016
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
152 9 days ago
Help find book where widowed H & h have sex in bar bathroom 2 16 minutes ago
Free Today Third Edition 1373 20 minutes ago
Biker Romance Part 2 6114 26 minutes ago
Romantic suspense recommendations 2 47 minutes ago
Weekend Reading - 12-15 February 30 53 minutes ago
Professor and returning/mature student or undercover student 8 1 hour ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 3790 2 hours ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #5 451 2 hours ago
Dear book buying confessional........ 8991 2 hours ago
Looking for good Sci-fi/futuristic novels 25 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  272
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 11, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 50 customers

Search Customer Discussions