Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2011 7:55:06 AM PDT
Ophelia says:
Boogenhagen:
Thanks!

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 10:13:26 AM PDT
Sarah says:
I've ranted on this book before - Emily McKay's Baby Benefits.
In it, the hero is a manslut who isn't good at safe sex. He knocks up a troubled employee but dosn't know it because of course why would you check on the women you use? She leaves the baby with him because she feels she can't handle it. It's implied that she has some kind of substance abuse or mental issue, but of course no one checks. She very likely could be suffering from post partum depression. The hero is a diamond mogul super billionaire but naturally does nothing to help her, no offer of therapy, rehab, nothing.

So that's the set up. Hero spends book whining about how he can't take care of the baby and the baby needs a mother. So he pays his secretary extra money to start teaching him to parent, and starts sleeping with her, while he looks for someone else to marry. He proposes to another diamond mogul and she accepts.
Heroine raises another women's baby while the poor woman is crying for help and is being ignored? Sleeps with hero while he is planning to marry someone else?

I think the hero only decided to marry heroine after the fiance tells him she dosn't want the baby. Its nice that he could eventually settle for the heroine before the end of the book.
she's a doormat. he's a jerk.

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 10:20:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2011 10:23:35 AM PDT
readsalot says:
I don't automatically rule out a book just because it has a plain heroine, so feel free to suggest any book you like! In fact, I love coming across a plain h who just could care less what people thought of her. Especially if she looks "different". Like wantonly voluptuous! :)

Believe me, it's really not about the outer appearance, but the lack of their self esteem that these plain heroines have that usually end up irritating the heck out of me, hence my pet peeve and why I just avoid it all together.

These plain h's usually spend pages going on about whats wrong with their appearance. If a beautiful h did the same, except she complained how beautiful she was, this would make me roll my eyes in annoyance as well. But you must admit, it's usually the plain ones who tends to belittle themselves throughout the book and most of HP h's that I have come across are doormats so why make it worse, right? Especially when not just the h but everyone around her, including the H, who puts her down for her appearance.

I think the most unromantic plot is when the H doesn't notice the h for years until she changed every single thing about herself to impress him ...... So any books like this, I would simply pass.

Give me a ballsy, self confidant woman with a spine and I will like the book. Thanks again for the rec's, everyone! :D

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 1:09:00 PM PDT
Michigangirl says:
So I just read Hired by Her Husband by Anne McAllister.

I was reading this book thinking it was so cute if it was a baby I'd pinch it's cheeks.

The heroine, Sophy, had fallen in with George's cousin Ari and wound up pregnant and abandoned, he died and his cousin George convinced her to marry him.

She thought they might be able to make a go of it and have a happy marriage, and then she overheard a conversation where he told his father he was sick of cleaning up Ari's messes and at least he wouldn't be expected to marry this one, the mess he had to clean up now. She realized she was holding him back because he was so responsible all the time.

George, worst name ever, was so cute. The guy spent twenty minutes messing with his dog to get the dog to get out of bed so his wife would snuggle up to him.

Loved the book until the end. Then it was so blah it dropped down from one of the better books I've read to just okay.

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 1:56:58 PM PDT
Vanessa says:
So do you all recommend reading Michelle Reid's book After their Vows or is it a waste of time?

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 5:58:45 PM PDT
Double D says:
Okay, I read After Their Vows and while some parts boggled my mind (Him comparing his kissing the OW to her going after her brother) other parts were good. I got the impression he only said the thing about OW during that year apart because he wanted to hurt her. He even apologized for the whole 'retribution' comment and I took that to mean he just did it to hurt her. But there was a part where he was thinking to himself that he could have a relationship with any woman but he can't because he didn't want anyone else, he only wanted her, Angie that is. That was at the end of Chapter 6. And then there is his cryptic comment about "Hope being the last thing to die" to his lawyer and to her several times, and then at the end of the book. She took it to man he had never lost faith in them getting back together. He searched for her and he did admit that he had kissed another woman in a way he should only kiss his wife. But like all Michelle Reid books she leaves so many questions unanswered. I thought Michelle Reid never had married people cheat? I have to go reread it now and it bothered me a lot the first time but I actually kind of liked it. If he did sleep with OW while they were apart, I am going to need a drywall repair person again. Dang it all.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2011 6:03:54 PM PDT
Double D says:
Michigangirl, I really liked that book too. He was a different kind of hero to me and I liked that. I agree, the ending fizzled out.

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 6:22:10 PM PDT
readsalot says:
For me, ATV was a waste of my time. However, if you like MR you should read it. It's as emotional as her other books but this time around, most of my emotion ran towards anger and frustration.

The heroine didn't have a spine nor a brain. She couldn't think rationally because of her libido, so nothing was truly talked out to my satisfaction because she was too busy exchanging spit with the H. What is she, some teenager with a out of control hormonal issue? She was always in heat!

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 6:40:03 PM PDT
onlynesh says:
Does anyone know if the ebooks from the Mills/boon site be read on a Kindle?

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 8:42:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2011 8:43:56 PM PDT
seton says:
Has anyone read In Want of a Wife?. Cathy Williams (Mills & Boon Hardback Romance) yet? It's a riff on PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. I was wary of reading this b/c I always found Williams kinda bland but I couldnt find a HP to read. I;m about 25% in and I wanna DNF. As a romance, it's too focused on other characters. As a riff on P&P, it lacks any wit or originality so fail on both counts.

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 9:13:54 PM PDT
Michigangirl says:
Seton, I haven't read it yet, but I wouldn't be willing to give you sound advice on that one. Like MR, our opinions on CW differ also, as I tend to like her books. Or at least, I like some of them enough to compensate for the ones I don't care about.

For ATV, I'd say not worth it unless you're one of those people that likes to read the book just so you can add your opinions to it, or you're a big MR fan and tend to read her books even if they're crappy because possibly you might like it anyway.

Since I fall into both categories it was a given that I'd read it.

But everyone sees things differently and this book is borderline. The things left open leave it up in the air for interpretation.

To me the book was more like reading about kids in what they think is a great love they think is better than everyone else. They can't see that they're annoying as heck and acting like selfish spoiled juvenile brats because they think they're adults. It was more frustrating than anything else.

As someone else said, all the pieces didn't seem to quite fit right.

MR's ideas of cheating tend to focus more on the actual act than intent and dating and almost going all the way. Tab A inserted into Slot B is cheating, anything else doesn't count.

She's had others where the hero is in a relationship with the heroine and is out dating other women. Even dating to the point where he's trying to start up sexual relationships with the other women. No sex so still not cheating. It's not something I agree with but I do like knowing that no matter what, I'm not going to be confronted with the, yes I slept with her/him but it didn't mean anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2011 9:18:59 PM PDT
Michigangirl says:
M&B use epub. I don't think that works for the latest gen kindle..not sure about DX but I know it doesn't on my k2.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2011 9:27:33 PM PDT
Double D says:
They don't work on Kindle unfortunately. I had to download the software onto my lap top to read it. It is free.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2011 9:32:15 PM PDT
R Morse says:
I do not think so as the ebooks they sell are Adobe Digital Editions which do not appear to be transferrable to the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2011 9:37:30 PM PDT
Double D says:
That is the name of the software I downloaded too. It was easy. I have quite a few books in that format. Bad thing with M&B, they sometimes change the title and I order it on the Kindle as an HP. I have a lot of doubles which means I am reading toooooo much and not retaining it. I need to slow down.

Happy Reading.

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 3:57:40 AM PDT
Rita says:
i thought the mobi format was supported by kindle? they offered titles in that format as well as pdf (adobe).

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 1:53:27 PM PDT
Double D says:
Okay, I just read one of the worst HP's I have ever had the misfortune to read. And yes it is laying in the firepit smoldering as I write. It was Angel of Darkness by Lynne Graham. I want to get back that hour or so of my life. They were the worst H and h I have ever read about. They were both TSTL! I hated it. He was a pig and she was just stupid. Okay, I had to vent and maybe one person will read this and not pick up that book. Talk about your long separations, your secret baby, your OW, the big misunderstanding. This book had it all. I need a mind eraser. I may have just reached HP overload. It was just awful IMO!

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 3:31:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2011 3:35:05 PM PDT
readsalot says:
I got done with RUTHLESS GREEK BOSS, SECRETARY MISTRESS by AG, and as expected, I ended up really liking it.

Now I've moved onto the The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain. OK, I'm only few pages in but I'm already kinda annoyed because the h abandoned her baby. The reviews made it seem like it was to "find herself" .... *roll eyes*

PLEASE tell me, she had a damn good reason for doing this. Other wise, I'll just read this later, I KNOW I'm going to sit here venting because I would find a h like this completely selfish.

Double D, that LG book sound just dreadful! Was the H sleeping with both the h and the OW at the same time? And ew, a secret baby theme.....

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 3:38:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2011 10:20:26 AM PDT
seton says:
Ok, In Want of a Wife?. Cathy Williams (Mills & Boon Hardback Romance) was a DNF. I just found it tired and stupid. However, it's part of a new series called The Powerful and The Pure which reworks classic romantic lit. Reading this effort and seeing the other authors doing the series, I'm gonna pass on the rest but in case any1 is inetrested, the rest of the series is:

Sharon Kendrick - The Forbidden Innocent (Jane Eyre),
Cathy Williams - In Want of A Wife? (Pride and Prejudice)
Kate Hewitt - Mr & Mischief/Matchmaker Bride (Emma)
Kate Walker -- The Return of The Stranger (Wuthering Heights)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2011 3:51:31 PM PDT
seton says:
re: TSMB

she left for medical reasons

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 4:05:49 PM PDT
ICA says:
readsalot, The h in The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain was not just trying to find herself. She had a good reason for leaving the baby behind which will be revealed if you keep reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2011 4:08:06 PM PDT
Double D says:
readsalot, keep reading that Abby Green. It is so heartbreaking and touching. It is one of my favorite books. You will understand later.

As for the dang LG book, he didn't sleep with them supposedly but he was making out with one of them and she saw them. But she had been stupid and lied to him and I swear I shouted at them and scared my dogs half to death. They were just so stupid.

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 4:26:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2011 4:27:24 PM PDT
readsalot says:
@Double D.
LOL.... I scare my hubby too when I'm in middle of a really bad romance book, while sitting in the corner, mumbling bad words to myself....

OK, thanks so much, girls! I will keep going then, I knew it couldn't be THAT stupid a reason. Good thing I asked before deleting it off my reader.

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 5:35:42 PM PDT
In AFTER THE VOWS, he didn't cheat. In the beginning, he had every intention to do so, but didn't. He made the decision to not go further regardless if the OW was drunk/messed up or not. That's how I read it.

And concerning the OW and her husband living in the same apartment building as him, he didn't want his wife to be reminded of his stupidity and how he hurt her. And, he had every intention of buying out the apartment when he spoke to both the OW and her husband.

My recommendation is that there is no rush to read AFTER THE VOWS. If you can get it for cheap, buy it but don't pay full price for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2011 9:57:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2011 10:08:35 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
Re In Want of A Wife--I didn't finish either so don't feel bad, of course I hated the original too, except for the one with zombies-- I kept hoping zombies would eat Mr. Darcy, sadly no luck. :(

Re the KW Return of the Stranger--how is she getting an HEA out of that? Maybe afterlife reunion? LOL ( if anyone is a big Austen fan I apologize, no offense intended) or Bronte fan.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  212
Total posts:  7997
Initial post:  Feb 25, 2011
Latest post:  6 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 53 customers

Search Customer Discussions