Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

"Installment Plan" Books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 231 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:19:03 PM PST
Bitchie says:
Deanna made the point earlier that these installment stories are selling, and that's why publishers keep pushing them. However, I wonder just how well they'd sell if everyone realized going in that's what it was? Sure, once they start it, if it grabs them, they usually keep reading, but from what I've seen, many people avoid these type of series until they are finished (if they know beforehand), and the pubs will be lucky if they aren't forgotten by then.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:25:42 PM PST
ambrosia says:
I'm also curious as to how long these installments are.
in Flight is $2.99, undoubtedly to lure you in to read the books.
the second boom is $6.99. So that's $10.00 for two books.
How long are they?
Technically I'd want at least 600 pages for that price, unless it's a well-established best-selling author. The third book will probably be $9.99!!!

Another reason why KA rocks - more bang for your buck!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:35:48 PM PST
ej1201 says:
I have to agree that Anything He Wants is the worst out of all. At least with the others, if you choose to pay for the installments, you get an ending. With this one, if you paid for the installments, you still have to buy the actual book to get the ending. Who does that?

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:49:48 PM PST
my advice, for what its worth, is to return the books anyway. you may not get the credit back for them, but if amazon gets enough unhappy customers returning the books they may make the category a little more obvious. it worked for getting page numbers listed on book pages, so it might work here.

and yes, i got suckered a time or two as well. i used to be such an innocently hopeful book buyer, giddy with the prospect of discovering a new treasure. now i read all the 3 and below reviews, then check the forums to see what posters (whose names i recognize) are saying about the books...after making sure the authors aren't on the BBA list.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:28:32 PM PST
cathyr says:
Re Scarlett & The Longhorns - the author got sick. I remember looking it up because they suddenly stopped, and then one was published which really was a duplicate of the last. The original author became ill, and it looked like they were bringing in someone to finish it.

I decided I didn't care. And also lost interest in the publisher.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:30:28 PM PST
Bitchie says:
I've never been a big fan of Siren, although I do plan to read the Sophie Oak books eventually. But I hadn't heard Newmar was ill, that's sad.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:53:40 PM PST
cathyr says:
Okay, I went and had a look at my booklists and there are quite a few authors I've liked from Siren... Sophie Oak and Abby Blake are consistently good. I also liked Corinne Davies' Steampunk menages. Tymber Dalton has written for them, too. And Reece Butler's Bride Train series is pretty good.

But I pick and choose what I get from there now. And I don't try any new authors. Plus I dodge the serialized stuff.

And since I've got plenty in my tbr *anyway*, I have stopped myself from looking in the last few months.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 6:15:34 AM PST
Jean says:
A book or two after being left hanging by The Proposition, I was just finishing up a rather dramatic part of my current book and saw....End of Part One and I almost screamed. Fortunately, it continued for another 150 pages or so after that. Imagine that - for 99 cents, I got a full 350-something page book!!

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:11:19 AM PST
Tara says:
12 Rounds (Knockout Series) just suckered me in. I know it says "series" but I thought different book, related characters, yada yada yada, separate ENDINGS. Key word=endings. I hate ongoing, never-ending sagas. I've lost interest already. Next time I do my research.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:49:30 AM PST
Amyalissa says:
I think there is a difference between books that end mid-story (ex. The Proposition) and books that end with a continuation (ex. Down to You). Personally, I can read continution books as long I get some satisfaction from the story. However, books that end mid-story just make me so mad that I feel used and angry! Seriously, don't end the book and leave me hating the characters...because chances are I won't want to read anymore about them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:44:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 2:57:23 AM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Dark - I commend you for broaching this subject. It was just pointed out to me by Ambrosia in another discussion, after I very vocally made my feelings clear there earlier today. Ironically, THE SAME BOOK that got you going: This Man - is the one that set me off. It was the CATALYST for my post.

I've mentioned my dislike of unnecessary sequels before, but not until today was I so COMPLETELY and UTTERLY pushed to take a stand against this new phenomenon.

Lately I've been wondering why authors/publishers feel the need for trilogies and quartets when their stories are purely romance about ONE couple. I get it when its Romantic Suspense or Thrillers, etc. like Karen Rose and JD Robb's series. I get it when the next book is from another POV. I don't understand why book 1 must end on a cliff hanger, resulting in a reader wanting to buy the subsequent books in order to get their HEA. I LOVE cliff hangers or open-ended endings in Thrillers because its part and parcel of that genre, but NOT in romance where I want to wallow in the forever- after-love-and-happiness of the couple cos I've just shared their journey to get to that HEA.

Surely it must be more than greed.

More to it than the fact that authors are too lazy to create and flesh out new characters for next books as apposed to using the same characters and dragging their stories out.

There must be reasons why 1st, 2nd and 3rd books come out in 200 odd pages, as opposed to one book of 400 or more pages. I know NOTHING about the dynamics of publishing books and I really would like to learn - because I refuse to believe that all authors lately, are doing this for financial gain.

I hear them when they say that there is more to the H and h's story and that it cannot be told in one book. But why not make that one book 300/400 odd pages? We wont need more books after that. Epilogues. Why not utilize this tool? People LOVE it! There must be legitimate professional reasons for publishers doing it this way. Because well respected authors like Sandra Brown, Linda Howard, Suzanne Brockmann for example, have produced deep meaningful, beautifully detailed stories which cover everything we need to know about our protagonists IN ONE BOOK. So it IS doable and I need to educate myself as to why others are not getting this right.

Also, there are wonderful works lately by authors who manage to capture our attention, money and time with one book per couple and subsequent books of OTHER couples within a series. Like Abbi Glines' Vincent Brothers for example.

So I'm going to inform myself about why sequels are being produced. Then I will decide if I want to spend money, time reviewing and recommending their stories.

AND YES, I AM GOING TO GO THERE:
This is one of the reasons for the existence of forums where books are shared for free.
No use pussyfooting about THAT fact.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 1:34:27 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 8, 2014 8:46:05 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 4:37:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 4:40:47 PM PST
(Apologies in advance if I mess this post up. I am typing on a Fire, which makes correcting typos difficult and have a cat and a kitten intermittently leaping upon me.)

I think it's partly greed and partly a desperate attempt to offset losses in other genres and formats, especially in the case of books published by big 6 publishers. This Man appears to be self-published, but Ms. Day and Ms. Kery are both published by Penguin and Anything He Wants is published by MacMillan. Big 6 publishers have a reputation for being reluctant and suspicious when it comes to ebooks and I think the installment plan books may be their way of dealing with "scary" e-publishing. They really do want to sell books for $35 (which sometimes works with hardback books) and this is how they are accomplishing it. I think they also feel a mixture of terror and disdain for the numerous $.99 - $7.99 ebooks published by smaller publishers and self-published by authors.

But publishers' feelings don't play into my book buying decisions and I would much rather pay $.99 - $7.99 to Siren, Ellora's Cave, Samhein, Harlequin or one of the better small publishers than pay $20.00 to $45.00 to Penguin for what is essentially the same book. I know romance can be addticting, but it's formulaic to the point of being nearly fungible so if readers can get their fix someplace cheaper and thus buy more fixes for the same money, they will.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:23:31 PM PST
RAA says:
Darkpleasure - I completely agree with you on the subject. I've decided not to read these new series until they are complete, and then decide if buying the three or four books in the series are worth the trade off of the three or four stand alone books I won't be able to buy.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:27:03 PM PST
RgReader says:
The only way I'll buy an installment is if it's under $3. I bought Fifty Shades prior to the price jack up. Heck, I don't even like installments which is one of the many reasons I stayed away from Karen Marie Monings' Fever series.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:34:58 AM PST
Nils says:
I loved Sylvia Day's first book, but I won't buy the other two (or three?) and as I read reviews of Entwined to You and see release dates being pushed back, don't feel I'm missing a thing. There was enough angst in the first book, I sure don't need two or three more.

It's also another reason I haven't bought the newest Beth Kery - even though the book released isn't that installment plan book, the whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth. There are too many other books and authors I can support.

Here here for speaking up - not everyone will overlook things "for the story". Which is, thanks to 50 Shades, the same story over and over lately.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:26:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 4:28:03 AM PST
Sortia says:
Oh you are not along at all. In fact, thank you for creating this thread, reading the post I felt like I was venting my own frustration with this annoying trend. And thanks to the other posters that have listed "books", this is very helpful for me in order to stay away of those. I'm not going to lie and say I won't read them, because some of these "chapters-books" sound interesting, BUT I won't be spending my money in something that will leave me ansious and unsatisfied. I read as a hobby and I expect this to be gratifying. I'll wait for a REAL or COMPLETE BOOK to be out there before I spend my money and my time on it.

And Beeg Panda is absolutely right about how this upsetting trend is just leading people towards piracy... Authors and publishers are really clueless if they think this is the right way to get more money.

@ other posters:
Please keep posting what you all identify as serialized-installment "books". I just created a black list with all of the "chapter-books" posted. This way my wish-list and TBR pile are cleaning nicely. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 12:28:24 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 17, 2012 1:04:04 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 1:16:14 PM PST
Beeg Panda says:
omw, where's my post gone? I checked it for any offside language but its been deleted by Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:34:22 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Did you use the 'toidi' words spelled backwards? That's one the 'bots automatically zap. Or Stoopid, or norom (backwards). It's automated, so they don't look for context.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:45:45 PM PST
Beeg Panda says:
No I don't think so. Because my internet often messes around, Ive learnt to type my posts in word.doc, and not straight here so I don't lose my replies if my internet goes down while I'm replying. So I have a copy of my post and I can't find anything wrong with it! I'm gonna try again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:52:36 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Was it a reply to my post?

I'm interested in whatever that was. Sorry I missed it.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:54:16 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
You could always pm that message to me via GR to take a look, or you could try reposting here, and hopefully we'll catch it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 2:10:53 PM PST
Beeg Panda says:
ok, lets try again - hopefully this post works:

Dog Lover - do you find it's mostly self published books going this route? Or Publishing houses?

I wish there was a way to find out how many copies of a book is sold here on Amazon. Not the Amazon Sales Ranks, but actual copies sold. It would be interesting to see how many of these installment type books are selling.

I really looked forward to reading these before I discovered their annoying installments:

Fire After Dark and Secrets After Dark (After Dark Book 2) and Promises After Dark: After Dark Book 3

Moving Neutral (Book One) and Moving In Reverse (Moving Neutral, Book Two) which ends with these words: "TO BE CONTINUED..."
Needless to say people are NOT happy about this.

Wilson Mooney, Almost Eighteen and Wilson Mooney Eighteen at Last with a THIRD book being written. When asked how many books this series would be, the author replied: ".......I truly won't know until I am close to the end of the 3rd book to know if Wilson and Max are done telling their story."
(I copied and pasted this straight from her Q&A at GR)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 2:22:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 2:23:22 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
All the ones I examined were SPAs - keep in mind that Amazon has several publishing labels now. Except for Encore, most of those labels are SPAs (or one-step above that.)

I've not encountered any "legitimate" (boy, am I gonna be slammed for that word!) going that route.

That reply from that author confirms my assertion that these are not books published in serial form - they are "chapters" as they are written. Dickens and Twain may have gotten away with that kind of thing but, keep in mind, those "serials" were published as part of another publication - most often newspapers. They were a "feature" of something else - they weren't intended to be sold (most of the time) as separate items. These !@#$%^ "serials" being pushed on the public today are nothing more than draft portions of an unpublished work and, frankly, none of them are worth anything so I doubt whether all of the "chapters" put together will be worth anything either.

I wouldn't mind (as much) if they were very noticeably and blatantly published as Amazon Singles (which just happen to tie together) or if Amazon provided a different category like they do with Singles. It is having this !@#$% showing up on my recommendations and such that makes me feel as if Amazon is aiding and abetting fraud - trying to pretend each individual offering of this !@#% is a "book."

As most of you know I am a BIG Amazon supporter but this whole serial thing just reinforces my already tremendously negative view of SPAs because of the sheer ubiquitous (and iniquitous, IMO) number of these things.

I HATE this !@#$%

DL
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  56
Total posts:  231
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions