Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Which Kristen Ashely do I read next?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2011 12:38:22 PM PST
Bitchie says:
Thank you! You did it just right, you're fast! Wee something to read over the holiday!

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 12:50:23 PM PST
Good, glad you got them. Happy Thanksgiving and happy reading!

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 12:51:28 PM PST
Bitchie says:
Thanks! I can hear my mom now "put down that kindle and come help me!" lol! Nothing new there.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 4:28:43 PM PST
Reader says:
Can anyone give me spoilers to Wildest Dream?

I just finished reading Golden Dynasty and liked it a lot (not so much the ending) but enough to think about reading another one of this authors books if it sounds interesting enough.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 7:08:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2011 11:01:38 PM PST
Fiona B says:
It's not as good as the Golden Dynasty, and I can't think of a spoiler off the top of my head. I can loan you the book if you want Reader :)

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 7:31:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2011 11:44:43 PM PST
Reader says:
Awesome thanks Fiona!

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 11:00:57 PM PST
Fiona B says:
sent ;)

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 11:44:53 PM PST
Reader says:
Thanks Fiona!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 2:50:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2011 2:59:13 PM PST
Romance Diva says:
Katherine Barley,

I finished Fairytale Come Alive I liked it, but it's not your cuppa.

1) Hero and Heroine break-up b/c of her abusive father and they BOTH remarry.
2) She was miserable (typical of Ashley) he was QUITE content.
3) His wife is dead, she is divorced.
4) She is barren...he has two lovely kids

I can go on, but I figure the above is enough for you...

ETA: I think I need Ashley to flip the shtick on its ear. How about HE can't father kids and SHE's had the kids and the very happy first marriage.

Even in my ultimate fave, At Peace, Joe still got to have kids with Vi later on.

ALSO...there is a ghost...I know it's the Ghost and Reincarnation series, but once again....crying buckets...and random paranormal ish. The genie almost ruined Three Wishes...the ghost worked my nerve in Fairytale.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 2:53:57 PM PST
Romance Diva says:
See...the ending was not happy enough for me. At all. I want my heroines, especially ones that suffered the way Isabella did to get a HUGE payoff.

She got the hero and his kids, but it...wasn't enough. She went thru hell for TWENTY years. TWENTY years, dude...I needed her to have adopted some Ethiopian kids ala Jolie as a boon...

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 3:16:06 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
I prefer not to overanalyze each individual book of Kristen Ashley. Having said that, I thought that Fairytale Come Alive was not typical of her. I really didn't like it. I'm not sure where to categorize it. I also didn't like Rock Chick Reckoning that much as it was missing the trademark Rock Chick comical hysteria.

Still, overall, Kristen Ashley has put out 23-25 books only since April (yes, before I'm corrected, they were backlogged on her computer). The majority of these books have been awesome. Not every book will meet everyone's taste. Doesn't mean that she's not a top-notch indie author. My feeling is that she's exploring other 'genres' that she has ideas for. I applaud her, despite the fact that I feel that her best work is her contemporary comedic romances.

Rock Chick suits those who like romantic comedies, as is the DayDream/Dream Man series, the Colorado Mountain series is geared toward second-chance lovers, the Fantasyland series would appeal to (as the name implies) fantasy readers, and the Penmort Castle et al series is for those who love paranormal/ghosts.

Now, I wonder if she's going to publish something science fiction (lol!).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 3:48:55 PM PST
Romance Diva says:
I agree HJ. I don't mind angst...I just don't like cowards. Hence why I haven't finished Reckoning. But I think Fairytale IS typical of her.

The youthful first love, that was HUGE and PASSIONATE, but not consumated ala For You (The 'Burg Series).

The heroine who wanted kids but never had any for whatever reason ala Golden Trail (The 'Burg Series) and Sweet Dreams and Wild Man (Dream Man)

The heroine who lost the hero and married a man who treated her like ish ala For You (The 'Burg Series) andGolden Trail (The 'Burg Series)

The ready made family ala Wild Man (Dream Man), Golden Trail (The 'Burg Series), Sweet Dreams.

I mean, I adore her, love her style, will buy it without reading a sample...but Fairytale had too many Ashley shticks converging at once...with not enough payoff, imo, to offset the horrors.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 6:41:38 PM PST
I just got done reading the sample on Smashwords for Fairytale Come Alive and though I've really come to love Kristen Ashley, this ones just not my cuppa. The absolutely wonderful thing about this author is she offers a sizable sample on Smashwords. So you really can get a good feel for it.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 7:24:21 PM PST
Romance Dive,
I know what you mean, I felt the same way after I read Fairtaly Come Alive. I was really excited for this one to come out. I liked the journey of the H and h coming together, even if the ghost of his dead wife was there to help things along. But the ending just didn't do it for me, I really wanted a kick a** ending for all the hell the h went through giving her a real life fairytale ending. But it kinda fell short for me. I felt this one had real promose, it was clear the H and h really loved each other before their seperation and had so much passion. It was clear the H really loved her, calling her "Baby" when he never called his was that type of endearment, holding the h in his arms while they sleep while he never did this with his dead wife, and although he admitted to loving his wife it was never the same, he was never "in love" with her like he loved the h, their passion in and out of bed was something the H never had with his wife, which went a long way of making the story much better for me (I don't want the h to compete with anyone else even a dead wife, just how I am). I loved how he realized he gave up on the h, and how he kinda betrayed their love because he gave up so easily. So this is why the ending was so disapointing, the whole epilogue was about the dead wife getting her special moment with her children, and nothing about how the H and h were doing or how the h finally got her Happily Ever After. And one part that really bugged me even more, right before the story ended, after the dead wife's ghost saves the h right before the epilogue, the H saw his dead wife's ghost. He couldn't believe it, never thought he would ever see her again and hear her voice again, never thought to even dream to hear her voice again, calling her his "Fee" (short for Fiona) and how could she endure the time she spend with them while he and the h got back together, like he felt guilty or something. He even stated how hard it was to say goodbye again, that loosing her once was enough, telling her in his mind he loved her. Sure these may be realistic feelings, but not something I want to read when I've been investing in the love story of the H and h. I felt sort of betrayed on the h's behalf, and then the story ends, not with him saying I love you to the h or anything, just says something like lets get you home to the kids. Not the fairytale ending I was expected, and Kristen Ashely can really put together a good epilogue, she's done it before, just not on this one. Sorry I know this sounds a bit like a rant. But I really felt the h deserved to have a better ending than this, I wanted the H to give her her HEA, with adopting kids together and maybe a house of her own, not the house he built that he lived in with his dead wife. The book was good, don't get me wrong, I did like it, it just would have worked more for me if the focus was on the couple and not the dead wife. Just my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 7:32:21 PM PST
Romance Diva says:
R. B. Oliva you and I are *likethis*. It was a good book, but I cried from the beginning until 49% in. And then there were all these moments that hit you in the gut and in the end? The dead wife and her kids got TWO miracles and Elle didn't even get to finally adopt a child that would only know her as it's mother?

Not to say that loving her stepkids was a punishment, but...once again Elle has NOTHING that never belonged to someone else. I felt she and I deserved better.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 7:42:00 PM PST
Romance Diva,
Exactly! I mean I loved the scenes of the h and the stepkids, don't get me wrong, some were even favorites of mine. I just wanted her to have her own, I mean after 10 different doctors and like a million fertility treatments give the girl a baby already. In my mind she adopted two kids, and lives in a bigger house the H built just for her and their family. I can pretend can't I?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 8:25:40 PM PST
Romance Diva says:
RB we can pretend...I just think the book would have gone from LIKE to LOVE if I didn't HAVE to pretend...plus it's one of my peeves. I've read six books, by this author, where the h wants kids but hasn't had any...but not ONE about an H with the same issue.

Reciprocity would have made Fairytale easier to take.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 8:52:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2011 7:38:41 AM PST
Kate Barley says:
Romance Diva -- You know my tastes well so thanks I will be skipping that one.

HJ Leonard -- Just curious for another opinion. Why didn't you like it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 9:43:40 PM PST
Hi Romance Diva,
I have to agree with you. This theme is getting a bit old. I guess this is why I love At Peace, even though Violet and Joe have children after their HEA, she brought children to the relationship and Joe had to deal with a dead husband she loved. I am also kinda tired of the h having to deal with the H still loving their dead wives themes like in Mystery Man and The Gamble and now Fairtayle Come Alive. I liked these books, I would just like to see more of the H having to deal with the ghost of the dead husband. Or a new one, the h has child(ren) and a jerk of an ex-husband that the H has to deal with, instead of the h having to deal with the hateful ex-wife/girlfriend whose the mother of the H's child like Sweet Dreams, Wild Man, and Golden Trail.

I also agree, I really liked Fairytale, but I could have really loved this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 4:02:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2011 4:02:57 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Katherine,

After reading Romance Diva's point by point breakdown, many of those reasons I agreed with. The story was just kind of depressing all the way through, and not nearly a happy enough ending to balance everything out. And I really didn't like the dead wife being so involved (the ghost story thing just didn't work for me). It felt like contrived competition between the two women. It almost felt like the author actually liked Fiona better than Isabella.

I'm finding that no matter how much I like Kristen Ashley's books, my clear favorites are those written in first person POV. She just doesn't get deep enough into any of the characters' psyches when she goes traditional narrative. I feel much more removed from the story and not as drawn in. And, of course, her quirky sense of humor is less prevalent in 3rd person, as well. Once you get a taste of that, you really want to see it come out in every story (or at least, I do).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 6:06:53 AM PST
Kate Barley says:
HJ -- Thanks for the explanation. I have liked many of the recs that you put in different threads so that's why I was asking. Which of KA's book are your personal favorites? I want to read those first. I appreciate any recs.

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 6:26:47 AM PST
MBAButterfly says:
Well, I started Lady Luck last night and I am hoping it gets better because I have to say, the h isn't really getting treated like I would want to be. The way Ty keeps calling women b*tchs, c*nts, p*ssys, it's really a turn off. It may be street talk, and the h may be used to it, but I'm certainly not and where I come from, those are insults. Anyway, I'm going to keep reading it and see.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 6:40:24 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Katherine-

Though I was slow to start liking it, I've decided that the Rock Chick series (1-4 excellent, 5 pretty good, 6 okay) is my clear favorite. I've never been a fan of romantic comedies (Shelley Laurenston, Janet Evanovich, etc), but I loved the fast-paced action and hilarious outbursts/rants from various characters and the over-the-top presence of those rough bad boy heroes. I love how the heroines are kissed to silence, are completely overwhelmed, and totally protected by their caveman/Tarzan-like men. There are some scenes that are just ROTFL moments.

The disclaimer that I will say, is that I didn't warm to the heroine very much in the first book when I first read it, but looking back, I think it was mainly because I didn't know what to expect from the series. I've reread Rock Chick, and love it now. It really is an ensemble series and works best reading in order (you can tell the sequence when you order by looking at the publication dates).

I did like The Colorado Mountain series second best (The Gamble, Sweet Dreams, Lady Luck), with Mystery Man/Wild Man coming in close. The Golden Dynasty (part of a series, but can totally be read as stand alone). These are all 1st person POV (I think-pretty sure without going back to check), but not as funny as the Rock Chick books.

One last thing that I'm not sure has been pointed out (well...at least not by me), KA's heroes do NOT grovel. They rarely apologize, either. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, and honestly, I didn't notice and/or realize this until I read the 'grovel' thread. If a good grovel is what you want, you won't find it here. Apologies come more through actions by the 'big bad Alpha' men.

Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 6:44:51 AM PST
Kate Barley says:
You are right about the grovel. In Lady Luck and Golden Dynasty, you see the hero's remorse through his actions but not words. I am fine with that. Ok, so I will continue with the Rock Chick series. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 7:57:37 AM PST
Nils says:
I'm kind of burned out on KA - and I must say, Ty's book is my least favorite. After a while the way he talked just grated on me, and it read like a red-neck primer on "how to please a man". I get it, Lexie was his receptacle. But she loved him so all is okay. Whatever. I get that the guy was in prison, but women in general do not like to be referred to exclusively by their genitals. Unless I am totally hanging with the wrong women.

It's funny to me how every Colorado series woman is an excellent cook, feeding their men all the time, while the Rock Chick series women can't boil an egg.

Reading too many in a row is a mistake. But nothing has grabbed me like these books do, flaws and all.
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  310
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 42 customers

Search Customer Discussions