Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Dear book buying confessional........

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 11:25:07 AM PDT
So now I know I can go to CVS, Krogers and Target. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. This is way too convenient for my addiction...lol

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 11:26:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 10, 2011 6:26:35 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 11:34:00 AM PDT
Also, I use my books as a decorating tool, with floor-to-ceiling tension poles that support the shelves. Not only does this save money (no need to buy bookcases) but it maximizes space, since bookcases are only about 6' tall. One thing I noticed is that books provide a lot of noise reduction. When the books came down (to paint the room), conversation was a lot louder and there were echoes. With the books up as a buffer, noise was toned down. Books also provide weather insulation - one wall of books is an exterior wall, which is hot in summer and cold in winter. Books absorb the temperature and level out the feel of the room.

Of course, noise reduction and temperature control aren't why I have the books, but those are nice side benefits.

As for decorating, I've tried leaving covers and removing them - the majority of hardcover books have black cloth under the dust jackets. It looks classy, but I can tell you from experience that they call them "dust jackets" for a reason - they collect filth but can be cleaned. Grimy cloth covers are almost impossible to care for...plus, they reduce the resale value.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 11:41:39 AM PDT
KC says:
Diane, I like your decorating style! Unfortunately, in my little house there isn't room for a wall of books & the furniture on that wall...hmm, do I really need that piece...? I laughed for years that I expect the 2nd bedroom, which is workroom/office/library, to be in the basement when I come home some night! Unfortunately, it would hit the furnace & water heater, so wouldn't be the best place for that to happen.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 11:46:36 AM PDT
J. Alonso says:
Y'all should let each other borrow books so you won't have to keep spending so much money! I love LENDLE.ME because I can borrow tons of books, AND I get paid .50 cents per book I lend, til it accumulates to (I think) $10.00, then they send you an amazon gift card. :) To those who have hundreds or thousands of books, you could be making money to buy more, hello! :) This site works way better than the kindle lending club site.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 11:47:58 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 10, 2011 6:26:47 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 11:59:59 AM PDT
The2ndLJY says:
@Ender - What your husband said is pretty funny - I like that. I have a feeling my family would feel the same way because I have books stashed in every nook and cranny and bookshelf in my house.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 12:00:22 PM PDT
avidprreader says:
Hi everyone. My name is Mari and I am a Kindle addict :-) S'okay, though. It's really the only addiction I have aside from shoe shopping, which generally is under control until DSW has a shoe sale. Those of you who buy Amazon gift cards probably don't know this, but you are protecting yourself from identity theft when you do so. My sister works for a bank and STRONGLY suggests that you use gift cards rather than credit cards when buying from online accounts. It makes it more difficult for hackers to access your personal info. So, see, you're not being sneaky, you're just being careful. Sound advice from one Kindle addict to another.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 12:03:56 PM PDT
KC says:
Okay, I definitely need to get rid of furniture! But what would I get rid of....no, not that...no, oh well, not good! I like having a bed! ;-)

Mine has 5 small rooms, but the dining room doesn't get used for dining anymore; I have to uncover the table which is buried in books, magazines, needlework materials, etc, because I tried once to organize the back room and there it all continues to sit...organizing personal space just doesn't work for me. It's bad enough having to do it at work!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 12:09:54 PM PDT
Noelle says:
@jerseygirldownsouth- That's how I use my Amazon wish list too. I write down all of the books that I hear about in these threads and over at goodreads.com and I add them to my wish list. Right now I have 485 on my Amazon wish list, it's nice because if I'm in the mood to buy books I just scroll through there, if it's on the wish list I know I wanted it for some reason. I use my goodreads account as a way to keep an exact count of books that are in my house.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 12:10:36 PM PDT
booknuts says:
hillary, thanks for sharing this. i have jjust enough points on my cc to redeem, and never even thought of an amazon gift card being available, at least i hope it is for my cc! great tip!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 12:11:44 PM PDT
booknuts says:
best buy also has amazon gift cards in 25 and 50 dollar amounts

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 12:13:04 PM PDT
booknuts says:
noelle, i hear you talking! i just bought a newer author's backlist--it was only 10 books, so i felt pretty good about it. i will be good for a day or two, then i just have to buy a book or 15!

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 12:19:25 PM PDT
So much temptation, so little money.....

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 12:44:52 PM PDT
B.E. Love says:
Dear Noelle I too am a one click adict, thank you swagbucks for helping keep my bank account intact. They say the first step is to admit you have a problem;}

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 12:57:18 PM PDT
sandra says:
I understand completely where you are coming from Noelle. I've already been complaining about not having time to read all the books on my Kindle and yet before coming to this forum I just bought three more to add to the pile. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by my tbr list.
I do, however, rationalize my purchases by arguing that my husband smokes and spends forty dollars a week on cigarettes so I can spend forty a week on books(which I never spend that much in a week) and not feel guilty! Right???? I mean, that is logical isn't it?

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 12:58:30 PM PDT
Bea Reader says:
Dear Book Buying Confessional,

I just purchased a kindle, my library has 31 books already...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 1:05:14 PM PDT
Noelle says:
I agree completely! My husband doesn't smoke and has no real hobbies (none that cost $$ anyway) so I don't have anything like that to justify my book spending habit. I wish I did, it would make it so much easier. lol All he does is work too hard for too many hours, does most if not all of the grocery shoping and come home and cooks me dinner. Lastnight he even popped open a nice bottle of wine for me, he said that it looked like I had a hard day ( my daycare's full and it's very loud when he calls me during the day). He really is a good guy and a keeper wich is why I needed the confessional to ease my guilt. =)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 1:06:16 PM PDT
booknuts says:
This may sound crazy, but what is swagbucks? I've seen the term mentioned previously, but don't have aclue what it is or how it works, but if it saves money/helps buy books, I NEED to know!
p.s. hillary, my cc doesn't offer amazon gift cards for bonus bucks--@#$%^&(*&^%$

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 1:13:16 PM PDT
K. P. Wade says:
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Kimmy121
Thats my referral link. Not sure if Amazon will delete it. You can search and win swag bucks. 450 SB will get you a 5 dollar Amazon gift card :)

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 1:25:00 PM PDT
Noelle says:
Ooopssss, I did it again! I hit the one click button and bought THE BURNING POINT by Mary Jo Putney. What's an extra 5 bucks anyway right???

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 1:45:17 PM PDT
K. P. Wade says:
Who would hold you accountable for an obvious accident? Happens to me all the time :)

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 2:11:12 PM PDT
KatWh says:
I do the gift card while buying groceries thing too! I watch my gift card balance like a hawk to keep my Kindle buying out of the general bank account, which is super helpful in keeping my husband's head from exploding. According to GoodReads I have 437 to be read books on my Kindle, but I don't think I've updated it recently. Mmmm One-Click, I love you.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 2:11:15 PM PDT
A lot of people have a problem with that one click button jumping under their descending finger.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 2:55:26 PM PDT
i suffer from one-click itis....my bank actually put a hold on my card one night when I made too many purchases in a short period (I was going through the publisher's weekly and buying books that sounded interesting)

re: gift cards - all check your bank credit/debit cards and see if they do rewards points - I just cashed a bunch of mine in - got a $50 gift cert from Amazon and $150 visa awards from my banks
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  204
Total posts:  6652
Initial post:  Aug 9, 2011
Latest post:  4 minutes ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions