Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

What makes a hero/heroine?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 290 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 15, 2012 10:18:52 AM PDT
I don't mind the plain/average heroines as long as they don't spend the entire book making a big deal out of it. But they all do. It's so irritating! Like "the poster with no name said", the beautiful ones are always evil b#tches who torment the poor defenseless plain jane. I don't know why authors find it so hard to write goodlooking women that have depth and humbleness. They're always either evil, stupid or just plain stuck-up. That's why I love books where the H/h are equally as attractive because I can live without the "i'm too ugly to get a man so i'm gonna whine about it for 75% of the book until the dashing hero makes me pretty" plot. rolling eyes....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 12:01:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2012 12:03:30 PM PDT
MovieLover says:
Hello All,

THE SHY DUCHESS by Amanada McCabe ( HR book ) is about woman tired of people
not seeing beyond her outside beauty. To her, beauty is more of a burden. There is
much variation in how people view themselves. But if a heroine considers herself
unattractive ( for whatever reason) must we hear about it countless times in the
story? It's almost as if some writers prefer the heroine doubt herself or have little
to no confidence.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 1:16:01 PM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
To me when the heroine is average and complains all the time that she's disgustingly ugly and no man could ever love her, I'm like "okay, really? You're not that horrible, so shut up before I jump into this book and kick you in the teeth. See how ugly you are then,"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 3:16:55 PM PDT
MovieLover says:

Some HR heroines complain about their looks or their figures ( ie slim blondes are the
current mode) or the hero is "above her" in the society pecking order. Give me the
heroines who accept they're smart & witty, not vacuous, not flighty & think along
the lines that the hero doesn't know what he's missing. These ladies see the irony
& absurdity of society's rules. Like the father's line in Pride & Prejudice- "And we
can laugh at them in our turn." ( Maybe not to their faces).

Why does a writer dwell on negative feelings ( not pretty enough) in story?
There are other story lines!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 5:10:02 PM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
I know exactly what you mean. It drives me bonkers when I see the same type of girls complaining over their looks-whether they're too ugly or too pretty-or they think that there's something wring with them. I love when I get a heroine who knows that she's smart and witty and doesn't care that she's not as pretty as other girls or whatever her case may be. I'd much rather have a funny character who may not be drop dead beautiful than a character who is simply stunning but is shallow as a puddle or one who gripes and moans about being ugly.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 3:20:52 PM PDT
MovieLover says:
Hi BookAddict,

I agree with you a funny heroine can make the book. Have read a few where
the hero or heroine was superficial at start of book, but gradually became
more human. Or the beautiful heroine, as in DANGEROUS IN DIAMONDS, who
recued battered women.

Most enjoy when the hero and heroine engage in witty banter!! What a clever

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 3:23:47 PM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:

I love witty banter! It's always entertaining, especially when they are matched in wit. And it's always a plus when the hero can take her sharp tongue and doesn't get all angry at her for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 4:11:08 PM PDT
MovieLover says:
Hello BookAddict,

THE PERFECT RAKE by Anne Gracie, HR which has witty banter with hero & heroine. She
is described as "plain with red hair & (her) sisters are all beauties." Writer makes up witty
words. Heroine is engaged to man. Hero purposely messes up last name of her man, Mr.
Otterbury, calls him Otterbottom, Otterboots, Otterclogs, Ottershanks, Cotterbury etc.
I didn't want the book to end. The RITA's should give out "best witty book" in all their
categories. Just dreaming.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 4:15:04 PM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
It sounds like an interesting book, MovieLover. I will have to check that one out!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 3:24:25 AM PDT
MovieLover says:

What type of romance do you prefer? HR? Contemporary? Paranormal? Time-
travel? Vampires? Any jenre I left out? Or some combo of these?

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 3:52:27 AM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:

I love all types of romance, though I think my tastes run a little more toward HR. Contemporary is good if I can find a book that catches my attention, I've only ever read one time travel book and it was also a HR, and vampires are just cool. So pretty much long answer short, I like anything that will snag my interest. What about you?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 6:43:37 PM PDT
MovieLover says:
Hello Book Addict,

I like mostly HR books because it allows the sexual tension to build. And also the
women characters can question/ expand their narrowly defined roles. Why should
heroes have all the adventures? Also I read biographies, have a bunch on TBR pile.

Have you ever done a book review on Amazon? I've done only 3. A few other
threads mention some writers/ their followers can be touchy or even nasty RE
reviews. Don't we have freedom of speech, but inside of Amazon guidelines?

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 12:18:45 PM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:

I have done a handful of them, yes. You would think we could say whatever we want about the books we purchase and read as long as we don't break any rules. I image people get really upset when someone is rude about how they review a book, but if that's what they think then that's too bad. I think people should be aware that authors DO have feelings and getting told their work sucks can hurt, but they shouldn't have to lie or sugar coat anything for the author's sake.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 1:38:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2012 10:46:29 AM PDT
Agnes says:
Just my two cents, authors should expect criticism. Beloved classics are hated by certain readers just as the newest self pubs are, but belittling a reviewer's intelligence or purposefully starting something because a review offended said author is crossing a line. It's just like the movies, only you don't see directors coming to Amazon to attack reviewers who disliked their film. I think it's all a matter of who's thick-skinned and has class, and who doesn't. If it stinks, I'm not going to lie. I work hard for the money I make, and I most definitely let other potential customers know if I don't like a product.

On another note, I did have a nasty comment left by a fan of a book that I reviewed on another site. I wrote that I didn't like a certain book because of the climax and the slow pace of the book. A person later commented and said that a person who had never been raped could not understand the true meaning of the book and appreciate what it did.

1) I only mentioned the rape in the plot blurb I gave (and didn't state an opinion about it; I put it there to let readers know what the book was mainly about and that it was not suitable for teens, as the author has other books aimed at younger age groups), 2) the book was a FANTASY, not nonfiction, and 3) my main issue was the h having her bodily fluids squirting from her body (for no reason at all) during that aforementioned climax (I thought this was absolutely disgusting), and 4) it was written by an author whose previous work I had enjoyed (and I stated this). Needless to say, the comment left by the person was very ugly and hateful. I never reported them, but it was bad enough to where I pulled my review.

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 1:43:23 PM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
People ARE entitled to their own opinions, indeed. I just think people can be respectful about it.

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 1:46:45 PM PDT
Agnes says:
It may have been that particular reviewer's opinion, but they also left a couple of insults, which were totally uncalled for. If they weren't hiding behind a computer screen, those are things that I am positive that person would never say to someone's face.

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 1:52:57 PM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
That's why I don't have a Facebook. People are mean and nasty when they can hide behind their computers. It's not right.

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 4:31:23 PM PDT
BookAddict..You are absolutely right.

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 4:33:54 PM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
Thanks. I just think it's stupid to talk mean about people on the computer when you wouldn't have the guts to do it in person. Hey, that kind of ties into something I hate about heroes. When they can't say anything to the heroine's face. They talk behind her back or to her friends, but won't talk to her personally.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 6:38:51 PM PDT
MovieLover says:
Hello All,

If men and women communicated better in romance books, the books would
be much shorter. LOL. Some conflict is necessary to advance the plot. But
a hero & heroine who've secretly loved each other > 2 years, time is wastin.'
One should get up the courage to say the 3 little words.

AS YOU DESIRE (a HR) by Connie Brockway takes place in Egypt in Victorian
times. 17 YO heroine tries to seduce hero & he laughs at her. Then she tries
again 3+ yrs later. (Can't give this away). He mocks his humorless, traditional
cous who tries to woo her. Hero thinks he'll be rejected by heroine b/c of his
BIG SECRET. Anyhow, if he knew heroine better, he'd know she can handle
nearly any crisis thrown at her. Am nearly at the HEA. Hero is a risk-taker in
all areas of his life, but not in love. Go figure.

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 6:45:12 PM PDT
Sandra H says:
THat is one of my all time favorites!!
Sequel came out last year:
The Other Guy's Bride

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 4:56:25 AM PDT
MovieLover says:

Thanks for the info! Have a good day.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 5:33:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2012 6:26:10 AM PDT
MovieLover says:
Hi Anges,

In response to your posts of yesterday. Rape is a very serious subject, which needs
to be written about with class & sensitivity, no matter how bruttle the rape described.
You were right to give fellow readers "a heads up" b/c this might be too traumatic for
some to read. Body fluids squirting-gross. "Ugly and hateful" comments, just uncalled

I second your movie reviews comment. My spouse & I rented "Dune" yrs ago. Sci-fi
creates it's own reality-cool. But the movie was confusing/ disjointed. Screenwriter
high when he/ she wrote it? We decided to laugh at it instead (director would be
insulted?) Best scene (IMHO), a lead character "walks w/o rhythm." What a hoot!!
(Intended as comic relief?) Movie directors/ writers cannot control the audiences/
readers responses to their creativity.

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 7:59:00 PM PDT
Neeta says:
One of my favourite authors is Lisa Marie Rice, and I love her "philosophy" on heroes and totally agree - "quotes from her website....

what she finds sexy in a man... "Strong hands. Deep voice. And seriousness of purpose. I don't like man-children, no matter how cute."

You write absolutely fabulous heroes, all of them intense and all male, with all of the yumminess of an Alpha hero, without making them look like jerks, what is your inspiration for such appealing males?...

"My heroes cannot have even a molecule of jerk-dom or d*ckheadedness (can I say that?). Nothing, nada. They don't have misconceptions about their women that are cleared up on the last page. They don't suspect her of being a slut. They're not mad at her. And above all, they like their women, from the first moment. My love stories happen fast, over a short period of time. My heroes fall fast. They are not going to waste time disliking the heroine. There will be time enough through the rest of their lives for them to get angry, usually when they think she's put herself in danger. But if they get mad, it will be against a backdrop of strong, mutual love, and it will pass. How can you have the hero and heroine angry at each other while they're supposed to be falling in love? It vitiates the whole process, in my mind, at least. My books are usually about the first couple of weeks of what will be a lifelong love affair. The men are too busy tripping over their hearts to have negative feelings about the heroine.

And-I've said it before. My men are men, not children. They don't need their egos stroked. They say what they mean and mean what they say."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 8:28:50 AM PDT
MovieLover says:
Hi Neeta,

"Neeta" was my late Mom's nick-name for me ( my middle name being Denise). Yes,
loved Ms Rice's concept of a hero. What type of books does she write?

Last several HR's I've read have tough, yet vulnerable heroes. A man can be confident,
yet still have questions RE how he leads his life, his relationships. The Cathy Maxwell
book I'm reading now has a very masculine man who is described as "(a huge man)
accustomed to drinking his weight in grape." Will he decide to cut down on or do
away with alcohol? He's easy-going but has depth to him too. Not 100% alpha male,
but masculine and yummy. And he gives heroine room to breathe.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
19 22 days ago
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
144 2 days ago
Husband is having a "midlife crisis" and leaves wife 785 36 minutes ago
books you think are wallbangers - warning spoiler alert 2892 59 minutes ago
Loan Me Thread V. 6 8685 1 hour ago
Best Second Chance Harlequins 9 1 hour ago
Redeemable and Nonredeemable Hero(s) 54 1 hour ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #4 7113 2 hours ago
Need title please : H throws pregnant h out - Hqn 56 2 hours ago
Hero hurts heroine so much that she withdraws into herself or... 175 2 hours ago
H tells h that he's getting married, but not to her 110 3 hours ago
Romance with aliens that actually look like aliens 950 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  290
Initial post:  Apr 3, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions