Customer Discussions > Romance forum

"Installment Plan" Books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 231 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 17, 2012 2:47:34 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 8, 2014 8:46:51 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:46:50 PM PST
Several years ago I got suckered into The Breed series by Lora Leigh (please don't judge me!!). The books started out very good with details that kept you enthralled. As the series had gone on she continued to do a good job until she became very popular. The series had become so ridiculously convoluted. Her writing style has either changed mid stride or she had started using a ghost writer. Details are wrong and she can't even keep the story straight chapter to chapter. I have since stopped reading the series and any of her books. I think her publisher has stopped proof reading her books because no one is catching these discrepancies. They're wasting their money paying her.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 3:48:14 PM PST
Tippi says:
Hi. Please excuse my ignorance, but what does SPAs stand for. Thanks in advance for your response.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:55:54 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
romance junkie

I never could read Lora Leigh anyway so this reply may be out of date. What we are talking about here are "Serials" - not "Series." In Serials, there is no (or very seldom) conclusion to an entry. It, literally, reads like a chapter of a book. In Series books, each is a stand-alone read although it's placement in the series may enhance the read if the previous entries have been read first.

Did I misunderstand your post? (BTW - That discontinuity problem with Liegh had been reported here a lot which confirmed my decision to no longer attempt any of her books.)

Tippi,

Self Published Authors

DL

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 4:38:45 PM PST
I have encountered both SPAs and big 6 published versions of this trend. And also Siren, but they at least clearly label these as being part of their LoveXstreme line. I have not seen any from Ellora's Cave, Samhein or Harlequin, but it's possible those exist and I just haven't come across them. I kind of doubt that though.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:25:32 PM PST
RgReader says:
Did anyone read Brenda Joyce's Francesca Cahill series??? I stopped reading after the third book. I have no patience for neverending series..I don't even buy hardback the latest Sookie Stackhouse book, not a romance but I'm ready for an ending already.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 3:05:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 3:07:50 AM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Dark -

In almost EVERY single review of this book in GR, devoted fans expressed how upset they are at the unexpected cliff hanger. They really, really loved the book.
While reading their comments, I actually FELT their shock and dismay.
THEN, in the Q&A she is mostly asked when the 3rd book comes out and if there will be any further books. She hasn't committed to a publishing date. She has confirmed that she does NOT know if the 3rd installment will be the last.

This is a true, CLASSIC example of an installment author.
The book is probably well-written, the story is probably good, the dynamic between the H and h is probably JUST what we romance readers want, and yet, because it's an installment read, readers who take a stand against this phenomenon will be missing out on the experience and the author loses a reader, a reviewer and so on and so on.

BUT.
It doesn't stop here. I WILL GO THERE AGAIN and say that BECAUSE it's such a popular book, there ARE readers who will want to read this. Some WON'T pay the $11.99 each for the paperback NOR the $.99 for the ebook and WILL get it from illegal file sharing sites. That's the reality of it. Yes, there is NO excuse for piracy but it HAPPENS. So, these readers will share their views AND their ebook with their book buddies and the ripple effect continues. BUT the author isn't making MONEY from THESE reccs. What a bitter bill that must be to swallow. Some authors are their own worst enemies.

I have spent thousands and thousands of rands on books over the years. I have recommended many authors whose works and work ethics I have the highest regard for. I feel that's my duty, my right as a reader to give back to the literary world. I can't write a book but I CAN spend money on it and I CAN recc it and I CAN share my thoughts, in a non malicious way, with people I respect on a forum like this. So, before an author or fan starts slapping me with insults for this post, just bear that truth in mind please.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1095985-max-and-wilson

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 4:24:38 AM PST
Susan says:
RG--I have read the entire Francesca Cahill series and love them. I think of them as different from an installment plan because each one could be stand alone. My only complaint was that a year or two ago she finally got the ok from the publisher to write the last installment of the book and didn't wrap up all of the storylines, thereby leaving open the idea of more books.

I have given up on Sookie Stackhouse too. I enjoyed the first many, but they are just plain not good any more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 4:29:13 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
I agree, Susan. If each book is self contained, but the series is about one couple, I do not consider that an installment.

Think about those 34+ 'In Death' books with Eve and Roarke. Aside from maybe the 1st book or so, they can all be read pretty much out of order (I know, you night miss a couple of different little things here and there, but overall...) and still get a complete and satisfying story. And you don't feel obligated to read the next one because you re 'missing' something.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 5:20:44 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 8, 2014 8:47:30 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 8:05:49 AM PST
Lucious Reed says:
My biggest gripe with all of the 50 shadeseque installment books is that I can't keep the plots and characters straight during the period while waiting for the next book to come out. The one with the flight attendant and the interior decorater and I think there was one I recently read about a someone living in New York... I dunno. They all mish mash in my head and while I am eager to read the next book the minute I finish the book preceding it, after a few days I can't keep the one I've just read straight from all the other similar installments of other series I'm waiting to read. Guess it works out because at least I'm not waiting in misery for the next installment since I can't remember what it was about. Hope this post makes sense. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 8:10:53 AM PST
Melanie says:
You make perfect sense. I may put a book (part 2 or 3) on my wishlist, but by the time it is released, I will most probably not remember enough about the first 1 or 2 to make purchasing the next worthwhile.

I read parts 1 and 2 of the flight attendant one this week. I liked the story and the writing, but I may never know the end because when part 3 appears on the scene, parts 1 and 2 will be distant memories and I doubt I will purchase 3. I didn't like it enough to re-read 1-2 in order to read 3.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 8:28:41 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 8, 2014 8:47:51 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 4:19:33 PM PST
Cphe says:
It reminds me of years ago when magazines used to publish (Australian English Women's Weekly) a weekly installment of a romance novel often Iris Bromige, Violet Winspear, Mary Burchell etc.

It would take many weeks to read a book - Weekly installments were too long.

My question is: How long is it going to take before the reader has read a book in it's entirity?
Even monthly installments would seem like forever.
I don't stick to one genre - and I'm sure I would just eventually forget the characters/ story arc.

If an author is unable to put up a book as a whole - I really can not see the point and I think it will ultimately do them more harm than good.
Readers are not stupid/gullible.....

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 4:21:54 PM PST
Cphe says:
I'm reading The Man ATM and wished I had seen this thread before I started it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 4:21:59 PM PST
Bitchie says:
IMO, that's a bit different. You're buying a magazine that has a story serialized in it. So you're getting much more for your money than JUST the serial.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 4:29:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 4:31:28 PM PST
Cphe says:
Thank you Smut Mommy - I guess what I was trying to say in a round about way was the length of time involved.

A week was too long - my take on what has been said to date is that some authors haven't completed the story before they put it out. It could be months, maybe heaven forbid years before there is an ending.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 2:36:56 PM PST
someone just mentioned this one in the weekend reading thread, and I was curious so I checked it out - 2.99 for each book, and there are only like 50-75 pages in each

Her Teddy Bear #1 (Erotic Romance) Blind Date Teddy Bear
Her Teddy Bear #2 (Erotic Romance) - Take Your Teddy to Work Day
Her Teddy Bear #3 (Erotic Romance) - Dress Up Your Teddy

and it looks like she has several installment plan type books

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:28:00 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Yikes. $9 already?

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 11:05:17 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 6:12:07 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 5:00:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012 11:22:06 AM PST
Beeg Panda says:
I think SOME authors are taking note. Colleen Hoover just revealed the cover of her new book: "Hopeless". In GR she has it clearly marked as: "Stand alone YA book." What a pleasure. I didn't have to run around looking on blogs or facebook pages to find out if its a sequel/series/installment. More and more, I'm being convinced that this has to do with the calibre of the writer. The ones that matter to me are not pulling this installment stunt.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 9:54:17 AM PST
ej1201 says:
On the other hand, Lisa Renee Jones just announced that the 4th book in her Tall, Dark and Deadly series is going to be released in four installments. I guess not everyone is reading these discussions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 10:15:39 AM PST
ambrosia says:
I was trying to decide whether to continue with this series after enjoying the first book and slowly reading (not desperate to finish) the second book. This decides it for me. After book 2, I'm done.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 10:26:19 AM PST
ej1201 says:
ambrosia - I agree, I read the first three. Guess I won't read Blake's story.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 10:34:11 AM PST
DVC Bunny says:
You've got to be kidding me!!! The first three were good, but not good enough that I'd be jonesing to read book 4 in three installments. Thanks for the heads up so I can avoid!!!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  56
Total posts:  231
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions