Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

"Installment Plan" Books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 231 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 10:57:26 AM PST
Bitchie says:
Thing is, "Slammed", while not stand alone, was at the very least self contained. I finished it and didn't feel I HAD to read the next one, because I got a beginning, middle, and END in Slammed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 10:58:21 AM PST
Bitchie says:
People need to spam the hell out of ALL her feeds then- twitter, blog, whatever, let her know we don't LIKE this trend.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 11:11:07 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
I think I got all or 2 of those books free, and they were simply 'okay,' nothing I would spend more than $.99 on, and certainly not buy one in installments.

I'm not even sure if I'm going to continue on with If I were You. Especially after it's ridiculous cliffhanger/abrupt ending.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 11:33:34 AM PST
Beeg Panda says:
When I started Slammed I didn't even THINK there would be a follow up book. I was happy where it ended and the 2nd book was just a bonus to me. Thank goodness, because I'd hate to lose a good author and this might be more and more the case lately because I'm being more selective with my choices now.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 10:57:55 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
I may be reaching here, but I have been watching Gone with the Wind this weekend and thinking this is a good reason not to have installment books. Before the 2nd (next) book was written author passed away. Although the 2nd book was finished by someone else, the true character, story, depth etc was not the same. I would have loved to read what Margaret Mitchell would have written for the second book. Being a die-hard GWTW person I did read the second and just found it so lacking compared to the original work of MM. I feel book lovers have lost out on a great HEA. The books I read now with installment plans, imo, are no where near the caliber of MM, but it would be a sad thing for an ending to not happen due to death, illness, or whatever may take the author away from writing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:09:05 AM PST
Margaret Mitchell finished the story she wanted to tell. She said she would never write a sequel and didn't and since she finished that novel more than a decade before her death she had plenty of time to do otherwise if she'd changed her mind. It was decades later that her estate gave the rights to someone else to pen a sequel. It was a pure money grab and nothing more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:20:31 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
Now that is just tacky!!!! I didn't know the story as to why there wasn't a 2nd book. I liked GWTW by itself. The estate should have just let it stay finished with the 1st. Thanks for the extra info.
Dying is a good reason not to make installments regardless if GWTW wasn't to be made into a 2nd book.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 7:09:28 PM PST
SuzyQ says:
I am so glad to know I am not the only one who is already SICK of this new trend!!

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 7:17:21 PM PST
ambrosia says:
This trend is so pervasive that now books that originally were NOT installment books are being re-edited and re-released to BECOME installment books!!!! I saw the following on a book's summary [the title of the book has been omitted because I hated the book the first time I read it and have no desire to provide it with PR]:

"[Title or book] was edited and re-published on August 1, 2012. The epilogue was removed in preparation for part 2."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 7:27:45 PM PST
Bitchie says:
Which book was this? Cause this will be a flat out flipping REFUSE for me. No way no how, will I reward publishers and authors who try to gouge ever more money out of their readers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 7:32:55 PM PST
cathyr says:
(comes up pretty quick if you google "was edited and re-published on August 1, 2012. The epilogue was removed ")

I gather you really didn't like it ambrosia?
"In short (ha!), my conclusion is that it's only worth $6.00 because it was over 14,000 locations long, and if you were stuck on a deserted island, it would give you something to do. It could even distract you from your plight as you spend your time editing it . . ."

*grin*

To think it's worthy another instalment!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 7:33:30 PM PST
ambrosia says:
Smut Mommy:   Okay, but here's a disclaimer:  i really didn't like this book, and there may have been sock puppetry when it was first released.  I happened to check out the book because someone recommended another book on the Jealous possessive hero thread, and I was checking to see if it was the same author. (it was.).

Insufferable Proximity

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 7:35:32 PM PST
Bitchie says:
Oh, THAT book!

I wouldn't buy that book with someone else's money, after all the spamming that happened round here for that book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 7:36:15 PM PST
ambrosia says:
Cathyr: I guess I was pretty, uh, FRANK with that review! Sadly, from reviews of a later book, it appears that some of the same pitiful errors i pointed out in that book can still be found in the newer book. (such as using the word "Dam!" as a curse.).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 7:39:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 7:41:56 PM PST
Jae Hall says:
Isn't that dishonest to re-release with minor changes and not say it? I've seen some of the better known western books re-released as NEW without saying it's not an original. They might add a forward by someone famous but who cares? That is disappointing when I pick up one for my husband and he says it was published years ago.
As for a series vs serial.
I feel bad for the struggling writer who sees the trend and believes their publishers idea that it is the way to get a book out there and build a readership. The publishers will make a lot of money on the broken dreams of the writers.
I think I will pass on the serials.
I will read a series but they have to be stand alone books from the start. I don't need a happily ever after until the final book but I do expect the characters journey to be plausiable as they grow and change.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 7:43:40 PM PST
Jae Hall says:
thanks ambosia. using Dam for a curse cracked me up. Gotta love spell check.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 7:47:39 PM PST
L. Burns says:
Ah, who can ever forget - "It's a hunchback!"

Lol, is there no end to the suffering????? (apparently not if there's another installment....)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 2:02:26 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Seriously?!

*head desk*

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:41:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 2:41:48 PM PST
ambrosia says:
Some don't appear to be clear on the concept of installments. Saying that they're not writing installments when it appears that they've written a book, and then relabeling it book 1 and publishing a book 2, and moving the original epilogue of the original book to the end of book 2, sounds like installments to me. But lest someone accuse me of having a vendetta against someone I don't know other than through her writing, I am going to try and shut up about this now. If I possibly can. Which, if you know me, isn't an easy thing for me to do! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:11:45 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Ambrosia, could you find me on GR? Or, I mean, can you?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:13:23 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 29, 2012 3:15:27 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:17:00 PM PST
ambrosia says:
I sent you an invite, and I'm glad I found you! Now I know about Ilona Andrew's free online serial! Thanks!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:41:04 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Yay!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:45:26 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 6:11:14 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:56:15 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Most serial 'parts' are just a chapter or so (some are a bit longer) for $1.99 - $6. Think about it. If a serialized book is 6-8 parts, or even 5, you're paying upward of $10 for a book. How is that cheaper? Imagine if it were on the higher end of the scale. 6 X 8? Almost $50?

Authors/publishers make more money on serialized books. The readers end up screwed. That's all.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
20 Jan 4, 2016
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
152 5 days ago
Hilarious mistakes in (mostly self-published) books 9442 2 minutes ago
Weekend Reading - 5-7 Feb 66 24 minutes ago
BBA (a.k.a Books Are Not Babies) 9790 30 minutes ago
Free Today Third Edition 1324 35 minutes ago
The Angstiest Harlequins Ever or at least for now..... 170 39 minutes ago
Silhouette Desire - To quote "Touch And Go" - Lets go straight to No.1 2331 41 minutes ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 3574 43 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #5 332 1 hour ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 3754 1 hour ago
wanted: kindle romance bargains ($3.99 or less) by established authors that are good (no self-promos or ya/na) 1945 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  56
Total posts:  231
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions