Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

What makes a hero/heroine?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 290 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 1, 2012 8:00:08 AM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
I completely agree MovieLover. I hate when the heroine just sits back and twidles her thumbs while the hero does everything for her or she claims that she can take care of herself, but never actually tries to do so.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 9:21:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 9:33:08 AM PDT
MovieLover says:
Hi Ani Rae ( AKA BookAddict),

Hate when hero does everything for the heroine. Better to appreciate her skills & talents.
Reading Mada Collins's 1st book (HR). Hero is proud heroine mastered 6 languages & is a
scholar. She would've accompanied her Dad on his Egyptian 'digs' but she's frightened by
small spaces ie tombs. Knows languages aren't just a hobby to her. & welcomes her help
finding his lost bro. Best of all-hero gives her insulting rival the perfect 'set-down.'

Love a smart, witty heroine & hero who's not intimidated by her/ doesn't want to change
her !!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 9:25:35 AM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
What woman do you know that would just sit around and let her man do EVERYTHING for her? I don't know any that would allow that. All my friends would kill him for suggesting such a thing, lol. I love strong heroines as long as they're not snobs--unless they don't end up that way, you know what I mean? And I hate when she just takes all the insults and snarling that the hero sends her way, falling in love with him anyway.

Also, I'm glad you knew it was me! I just decided a change was needed so I created my new name using two names of two of my favorite characters.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 9:45:52 AM PDT
MovieLover says:
Ana Rae,

I don't like a snobby female character, no matter her social status. And a heroine
should not be a 'door mat.' If she's portrayed as passive, I hope she transcends
this over time.

What is the origin of your new screen name? Book or movie characters? I believe
Zooey (sp?) of New Girl TV show was named for an F. Scott Fitzgerald character.
Sooorrryy any typos-extremely tired I am. Cheryl

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 10:10:38 AM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
Ani was the name of the main character in Radiant Shadows--my favorite so far out of the Wicked Lovely Series, and Rae was another important character in the same book. I was going to go by Katherine Rae because that was Rae's real name, but there is a real person with that name and thoguht it best not to use it in that case.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 3:18:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 3:43:09 PM PDT
MovieLover says:
Ani Rae,

Was curious- looked up a few reviews for Radiant Shadows- a fantasy romance
book for young adults? What is a "dream walker?" Am familiar w/ Native American
"dream catcher."

Guess I like HR heroes the best. Read a few time-travel romances, but not lately.
Read 3 BDSM books in a row, but the heroes were too bossy. LOL. One was a 'hot'
fireman, but his spankings bordered on mean. Each couple had a "safe word" but
no one ever used it. One time in any of these books would've hightened the drama,
but no dice. Will stick to HR & occasional contemporary, which have deeper stories
than BDSM.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 3:21:19 PM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
MovieLover,

It's the 4th book in a series about Faeries that I quite enjoy. A dream walker is someone who an "walk" in other people's dreams. Basically they can see and interact with people in their dreams.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 3:51:32 PM PDT
MovieLover says:
Ani Rae,

You type too fast for me!! And I'm planning tomorrow in my head. Walk in other peoples'
dreams-sign me up! My husband has 1/2 dozen books on the meaning of dreams. What
is time period for the Faeries? Or is it limitless? Timeless?

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned BDSM books to you. But all books seem a form of
escape or learning. I'm a psychiatric social worker so I need both!! And you seem wise
beyond your years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 3:53:40 PM PDT
MovieLover says:
Ani Rae,

What state do you live in? We seem in same time zone. I live in Ohio.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 3:54:57 PM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
I'm a pretty fast typer, lol. I think it would be interesting to see what other people dream about as long as there would be a way toget back out because there are certainly SOME dreams one should not see. ;)

I'm not sure what you mean baout the time thing. The series is set in the present, but the Faeries have been around for a long time if that helps. Radiant Shadows mentions Devlin--the main guy for that books--being around in the late 1800s.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 3:56:01 PM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
MovieLover,

Well that explains it. I'm just above you in Michigan and it's raining. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 4:06:05 PM PDT
MovieLover says:
Ani Rae,

Michigan, no kidding. Will you go to college in your state? My nephew will
soon graduate from OSU. He wants to be a rocket scientist- no kidding!
I have so many in my TBR pile, it's amazing I get laundry etc done. But
a rainy day is a good day to read.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 4:09:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 4:11:05 PM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
MovieLover,

I'm going to a community college for my pre-req's and then I'm not sure. I'll probably stay in state and close to home so I don't have to pay for a room and all that jazz. Plus I can eat at my parents house. ;)

Rainy days are usually nice but I had my senior assembly today--pretty much graduation without the graduation part--and all the girls had to wear white. Try getting to school when you walk without getting your white dress and white gown wet. Needless to say it took a few plastic bags and some fast walking, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 4:12:03 PM PDT
MovieLover says:
Ani Rae,

Not trying to be funny, but are Faeries & Kelpies ( in Scotland) the same? And
is Devlin a human or a Faerie? And does he equally love both young women?
This writer sounds quite creative!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 4:20:03 PM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
MovieLover,

I will do my best to answer your questions.

First, I'm not sure what a Kelpie is so I can't say. There are different kinds of Faeries i.e. Dark Court Fae, Summer Court Fae, Winter Court Fae and so on and so forth and each acts a little differently but they all dislike humans to a degree. Naturally the Dark Court Fae are nastier and the Winter Court are meaner than the Summer Court. Humans can't see them unless they have Sight which isn't very common, though a Faerie King or Queen can give a mortal Sight I do believe if they wish. Not sure if that answered your question AT ALL, but oh well.

Devlin in a Faerie and he loves Rae, but not like that. He ends up falling IN LOVE with Ani. So he loves Rae, but is in love with Ani. Rae is like his really close sister I guess. They're not romantic at all, though I guess they could have been before Ani showed up because Rae--who is a spirit-like person--pretty much can live forever as long as her body is all good wherever it is and Devlin checks on it every now and then for her. She was mortal and somehow wandered into Faerie--the place not the beings--and Devlin let her stay by taking her soul from her body or something like that. So she's happy, he's happy, everyone is happy. Except for his sister, but we won't talk about her. Okay, I think that answered the last two questions!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 4:20:47 PM PDT
MovieLover says:
Ani Rae,

Good visual of you walking in the rain! Did your high school have yearbooks- or is this
passe'? I graduated HS 'many moons' ago & the girls wore white cap/gown and the
guys red (our school colors). You should be proud to graduate, some drop out or lose
interest. College mostly a joy- but be prepared to read MUCHO text books & articles.
And meet great new friends.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 4:22:43 PM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
MovieLover,

We did the Red and White gowns too--white for girls and red for boys. And we did indeed have a yearbook in which there is a picture of me during a pie eating contest. Not the most flattering picture I must say, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 4:30:40 PM PDT
MovieLover says:
Ani Rae,

Some HR's I've read, have heroines with "the sight." And the Faeries bicker back
and forth & try to compete w/ each other to give the heroine the best advice.
The hero usually thinks the whole thing is too weird. But the Faeries know secrets
from the past and a family's special skills or curses passed down thru generations.
But the Faeries you described seem far more advanced.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 4:34:10 PM PDT
MovieLover says:
Ani Rae,

Pie eating contest? Tough job but someone had to do it! Pic probably
supplied by guy who had a secret crush on you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 4:45:55 PM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
MovieLover,

I almost won that contest! I lost by, like, three seconds. We had multiple rounds and people won each round and then they put the winners against each other. I would have won too it my necklace would have stayed out of my way! There was pie in it for, like, a week! And I smelled pumpkin pie for the rest of the day because I got it up my nose!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 4:55:33 PM PDT
MovieLover says:
Ani Rae,

Too much pie, too fast. But you hung in there. Was it guys vs girls? Or just
whoever wanted to compete?

CONGRATULATIONS again!! Thanks for 'taking' to me. Will sign off now to read
& eat UDF choc chip ice cream ( simply the best).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 4:57:51 PM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
MovieLover,

It was anyone who wanted to go, but I won against one other girl and four guys in my little competition. Then I beat out four more guys for second place. And absolutely no problem! I like talking to you. Goodnight then and enjoy your ice cream!

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 6:11:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 6:12:37 PM PDT
Not sure if this was mentioned... (I'm a hypocrite!).

I hate it when the hero/heroine does something intentionally to make the other jealous. For the sake of making them jealous. No, thank you... just, no. To get back at them, whatever. 'Cause now it makes them both just as bad, and they deserve each other just as more.

For example, I prefer when the hurt one just walks away, and the guilty one feels even guiltier (is that a word?), and then GROVEL. It makes for good melodrama, lOl.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 6:17:50 AM PDT
MovieLover says:
Need 'n' Know,

I agree, intentionally leaning toward or laughing with another man, makes the hero
jealous. Better the heroine (who's jealous) should privately tell hero that she's a
one man woman & she expects the same in kind. If he balks, goodbye.

LADY GALLANT, a HR book, has a controversial scene-did hero have sex with OW
when heroine discovered them? It was sex (IMHO). Hero assumed heroine lied &
was disloyal (another matter) when she married him, so he flaunted his bawdy
behavior w/ OW in her face. LOVED LOVED his groveling to get back in her good
graces.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 8:34:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2012 8:35:49 AM PDT
Lovely D.M. says:
For me, I only care about likable heroines, I don't care if she is considered "strong" or not. As long as the heroine is likable and I care about her, then that is all that matters to me (I prefer gentle/sweet heroines who have inner strength). For the hero, I just want a hero who I can believe and feel loves the heroine, and who is strong/protective and sexy.

I also want emotional intensity and a storyline that hooks me to the end. By the end of the book and/or movie/series, I want to feel as if I have journeyed with the H/h, and that they both have grown through the experiences that they went through, and that they have grown deeper in love as well.

Basically, and in short, I just want the story to be memorable (hooking), and I want to really care for the characters (specifically the H/h). As long as those things are present, then that is all that matters to me.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  290
Initial post:  Apr 3, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions