Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Fans of k-dramas... please help

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 6:52:03 AM PDT
I also second/third the recommendation for the Dramabeans website. I usually watch an episode of a drama and then, if available, read the Dramabeans recap. A lot of times Dramabeans indicates a nuance that I have missed.

I also use the Beanie Awards (based on over 20,000 votes) to help select the dramas to watch - 2011 Best Dramas were City Hunter, Flower Boy Ramyun Shop and Protect the Boss, while the 2010 Best Dramas were My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, Secret Garden, Sungkyankwan Scandal and Playful Kiss. So far, I have enjoyed all of these top vote getters.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 7:09:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2012 6:14:27 PM PDT
@Adnana: Yeah, The Princess' Man is a better all around drama the Moon Embracing the Sun. But I loved them both. But the h in the Princess' man is probably one the best k-drama h I've seen. She has principles that are iron clad and nothing shakes her from what she knows is right. And boy does she suffer for it, but she accepts that willingly. She's truly STRONG, and I loved it! And the H is great too. And yes, the mane of glory was swoon worthy. Everything about it is beautiful, but tragic. At least they do get their HEA.

And I totally agree about Personal Taste. The flaws of that drama, and there were more then a few, were made up for by the main couple and how adorable they were. Especially the h just a total sweetheart.

@A.G.:I'm going to check into your rec for Absolute Boyfriend. Totally sounds like an original story with some good drama and comedy built in.

After my historical sob fest of late, I'm watching a rom/com K-drama called Wish upon a Star/Stars falling from the Sky. It is laugh out loud funny and so far I really like both the h and the cold H who's heart of ice is melting. Good drama for some laughs!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 5:34:32 PM PDT
C.T. says:
@Reader123,

Thanks for the rec:) It's on my to watch list, but there just isn't enough hours in the day for all the k-dramas I want to watch...lol

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 9:17:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2012 9:23:31 PM PDT
cbela says:
@ct... how did u like delightful choon hyang?

i agree everything about sam soon was great except i did have to fast fwd the secondary characters. lol
@ mean gurl..... y was "in time with you" the best? thats the one with areil frm "ISWAK"?

besides kdrama. tw dramas. n thai lakorn... i rec on youtube..bollywood mv starring s khan "kuch kuch hota hai" my fav!!! rom com n melodramatic. :) it ends happily.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 10:10:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 10:49:43 AM PDT
Lovely D.M. says:
I've finished Secret Garden and I liked it, it was good. I loved how the (flashback) last scene tied everything else together, and basically explained why the hero was so drawn to the heroine from the beginning- it was so moving. However I didn't like how- even though they got married- they agreed not to have a celebration of their wedding till his mother would give her blessing. The hero also should have given the heroine a wedding ring, even without a celebration, a wedding ring is a must. But overall, I enjoyed this drama, it had a unique storyline with some very romantic and intense elements.

So the K-dramas that I enjoyed, I would rate in order (starting with my favorite):
1. You're Beautiful
2. Secret Garden
3. Personal Taste

Oh and Adnana it seems that you and I have similar tastes!

I will also checkout Absolute Boyfriend!

In the end, I want to thank you guys for introducing me to J-drama, K-drama, and T-drama. Basically Asian drama has really satisfied my cravings for the types of stories I like to see. I love series/movies that have a defined H/h, and we get to follow their journey and all the obstacles they must overcome to be together.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 1:59:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 11:35:47 PM PDT
Adnana says:
D.M.,
I, too, was disappointed that the H & h in "Secret Garden" didn't give each other wedding rings, but at the same time I understood this was all lumped together with them not having had a proper wedding yet (with the blessing of the H's family). And that they still hadn't received his mother's forgiveness & acceptance, even after 5 years, was consistent with the mother's character, I think. I kind of respected the writers for injecting this bitter dose of realism in an otherwise super sweet ending to an all-around fabulous drama.

My top 5 favorite kdramas (in no particular order):
Secret Garden
City Hunter
Save the Last Dance for Me
The Princess' Man
The Moon Embracing The Sun

Others I really liked:
Myung Wol The Spy
Personal Taste
You're Beautiful
Boys Over Flowers
Sungkyunkwan Scandal

And, of course, "Summer's Desire" (Taiwanese drama).

P.S.: It seems that "Absolute Boyfriend" is getting a Korean adaptation this year and it may star T.O.P.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 7:04:27 PM PDT
@ Adnana: I saw that about the Korean "Absolute Boyfriend" at Viki. I love me some TOP, so that could be fun.

My favorite K-dramas (also in no order)
City Hunter
Coffee Prince
The Princess' Man
Moon Embracing the Sun
Boys Before Flowers

Others that I really liked:
You're Beautiful
Personal Taste
Dream High
Best Love
Flower Boy Ramyun Shop
Secret Garden

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 7:10:12 PM PDT
C.T. says:
@changb

I haven't finished watching it yet...got a bit distracted by the japanese version of you're beautiful called Ikemen desu ne. So far, I agree with Reader123 that it doesn't have the charm and humor as the original, but it's still cute.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 9:06:00 PM PDT
S. Lilly says:
You may have already received an answer to your question about where to find more subtitled dramas, but I thought I could help you out as I am completely obsessed with dramas..
viki.com is one of the best sites, most are subtitled
mysoju.com is another great one
These are both free
dramafever.com is free or you can pay and avoid commercials.

But all of these sites are great! Happy watching!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 6:18:14 AM PDT
The following is a mini rant so feel free to ignore.

I love KDrama's but after watching several I have developed a pet peeve regarding characters acting in a malicious manner. I have yet to see these characters show remorse for their actions or suffer any adverse consequences (worst, most end up with a HEA). While I consider certain of these characters actions to be irredeemable, I would still like to see some attempt by the writers to redeem these folks prior to sending them off to happyland.

A few examples (I have lots more): The H's mother in Boys over Flowers was evil, but is shown in the end as having a HEA with her husband. No apology made, no remorse shown. In my revised ending she is left standing by the side of the road with a homeless sign.
Hee Joo (Heartstrings) reward for conspiring with her mother against Gyu Won - lead in the play and the continued devotion of Joon Hee. Seriously, Joon Hee, Gyu Won has a friend that would be perfect for you, dump the toxic girl.
Yoon Seul (Secret Garden) became irredeemable when she had Ah Young fired. No matter what her back story was, there was no coming back from this one with me.

Is it too much to ask for just a little remorse??

Sorry, end of rant - resume normal operations!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 7:36:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2012 1:46:24 PM PDT
Adnana says:
I do agree with you that antagonists in k-dramas don't always get their comeuppance in the deserved manner. Still, I think there's a difference between flawed, but ultimately redeemable characters and truly evil villains.
The former are shown to experience growth and learn from their mistakes (for example, Hee Joo in "Heartstrings" ultimately stood up to her mother and at least told the truth about who had really sung during the musical; Yoon Seul in "Secret Garden" was, to me at least, a sympathetic character because of the deep heartbreak she suffered; the H's mother in "Boys Over Flowers" saw her son almost die because of her intransigence, afterwards she backed off from trying to control him).
The latter, who usually commit truly criminal acts like, say, running someone over with a car ("Stairway to Heaven") do tend to be punished appropriately in the end (the 2 villainesses in '"Stairway to Heaven" ended up in prison and the loony bin respectively).
But yes, lesser evil-doers do tend to get off scot free more often than not in k-dramas. That's because these shows idealize reality, often have the villains showing remorse at the 12th hour, and, unfortunately, how can you then punish a remorseful sinner? You can't really, because you've got no moral ground left to stand on. Which yes, is very annoying.

For a drama where every villain gets exactly what they deserve in the end, watch "The Moon Embracing The Sun". Too bad that some of the good guys also had to be sacrificed in the process. Or watch "City Hunter".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 8:44:25 AM PDT
Adnana

Based upon your recommedations I do have The Princess' Man and The Moon Embracing the Sun in my TBW pile. I look forward to watching both of them.

I do have a different level of expectation for villians in Rom/Com versus Rom/Melodramas. They better get their just desserts in the Rom/Melodrama. While in the Rom/Com I would be happy if there was just some tiny expression of remorse to the actual person wronged (unrealistic/petty of me I know).

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 1:09:54 PM PDT
So I know that his drama has been mentioned earlier, but since I've finally watched it I just wanted to come reccomend "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho". It's another drama by the Hong Sisters of My Girl and You're Beautiful fame and it is adorable. The lead couple is sooo CUTE and that's how I would describe the drama...really cute. The h is Gumiho a 9 tailed fox that is aparently part of Korean folk lore. She is trapped in a painting until the H accidently frees her. She wants to become human, and due to an injury he suffers she can help heal him. So they agree to help eachother. He's afraid of her, and she's just completely clueless about the world. And did I mention that they are adorable. There's one episode that finally makes me understand the concept of couple rings as they both flash them to signal other poeople to back off. Andyway I really enjoyed this one.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:51:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2012 9:52:16 AM PDT
Lovely D.M. says:
Okay I've watched "Absolute Boyfriend" and I liked it, it's got an interesting and original storyline. However I didn't like how the heroine treated Tenjo Night offhandedly for so long in the series. Both male leads in the series, that CEO's son and the robot Night, are very likable. But I wanted the heroine Riko to be more considerate of Night before the last few episodes. She was a sweet heroine, but she always ignored Night, until the last episodes when she found out that Night had developed a will of his own and that he truly loved her, and not just because he was programed to. The ending was sad and very moving.

I would rank it second so far, among the J-drama that I've watched and liked, after Hana Yori Dango and Sky of Love (my favorites).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 12:48:29 PM PDT
What is Sky of Love? Haven't heard of this one. I'm always looking for a new drama. :)

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 1:04:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2012 4:40:42 AM PDT
I finished watching Protect The Boss. Overall it was a good rom/com, with very likable characters. The H and second male lead are first cousins in competition for the future chairmanship of the family conglomerate. The h is the H secretary. The H suffers from a phobia, which renders him panic stricken in crowds and public speaking. The two cousins are always fighting, but in a good natured immature way (bromance). The second female lead and the cousins were best friends growing up and both cousins had been at one time in the past in love with the 2nd female lead. I liked the 2nd female lead, she was immature but unlike most KDramas she was never malicious to the h. The H felt that in the past he had lost the 2nd female lead by not making his love clear so to make sure he never repeated this mistake, he was always telling the h that he loved her. I also like how the 2nd female lead spent a substanital portion of the drama chasing the 2nd male lead. Loved that those who misbehaved were punished with community service.

After enjoying Flower Boy Ramyun Shop, I watched Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy (also called Hello, My Teacher), which was mentioned as having a similar setup (19 year old H, 25 year old h) to FBRS. While good, I didn't enjoy it as much as FBRS.

I also watched Hana Kimi as it was ranked as the 3rd most popular drama on Dramacrazy. Overall I consider it a young adult school comedy. The h is a cross dresser attending an all male school to be close to the H. Of the three versions of this drama, I preferred the Taiwanese. It had a stronger focus on the relationship between the H/h, but had the weakest ending (perhaps a set-up for season 2 which didn't happen?). However the h in this version does take some getting use to. The original Jdrama version is somewhat over the top and the H is somewhat cold (in the Taiwan version he does seem more quiet than cold). The jdrama remake is more straightforward than the original and has the best ending of the three. Each of the three versions do bring their own intrepretation of the manga. While good for laughs, not sure why the original jdrama is ranked so high.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 1:10:05 PM PDT
D.M.
Have you watched Koizora the movie. Same storyline as the jdrama.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 1:45:08 PM PDT
Lovely D.M. says:
Hey Rashell, Sky Of Love or Koizora as Reader123 said, is a J-drama and it's very good, but you should know that it's a definite tearjerker. I wish that it had a happy ending. You can watch it with english subs on youtube. I definitely recommend it :)
Just be sure to type in Koizora drama so that you won't get the movie instead.

Reader123 yes I have seen the movie too, and it was okay. I think the hero is better looking in the movie, but the drama wins hands down when it comes to a better storyline and character development. I think the movie was too condensed and rushed, and it also seems exaggerated. Whereas the drama (miniseries) had a better storyline and more relaxed pacing, so it's my favorite.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 3:54:16 PM PDT
@D.M. - Thanks for the explanation. I'll add it to my list, but after Moon and The Princess' Man, I'm taking a little break from the sad dramas. However sometimes I do get in the mood for a good cry..so I'll stock this suggestion away.

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 11:37:13 AM PDT
Hui Chi says:
Watching "Moon Embraces the Sun" and gotta say, the adult king is HOT!!! Man, it's not just his face, I find his whole presence incredibly charismatic. Loved all the tension filled scenes with him and Wol. I swooned at all the scenes where she acted as his human talisman and the two had their stare fests. Even tho they may not have the best chemistry, I still felt the tension and they have enough connection with one another for me to root for them. Plus I love his alpha-ness contrasting with her calm feminine persona. I'm also a fan of conflicting relationships where there's a class barrier btw H and h -makes everything more interesting. But I find the political machinations ridiculous and sort of wish they could just focus solely on the romance and forget about the pathetic conspiracies since it's not interesting enough to rivet me.

Also, it's funny that I liked the main girl with the 2nd guy when they were younger, but prefer her with the king when they're grown up. I just really like the younger version of the 2nd guy and thought his scenes with the child main girl were really cute. I didn't take to the younger king as much as everyone else did, but was completely won over by the adult king.

And can I add that I'm in love with the ost song, "Back in time" -makes me emotional every time it plays.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 7:32:50 PM PDT
That song is AWESOME...I actually downloaded it because I loved it so much.

Kim Soo Hyun (The older king) is actually in another drama that I enjoyed called Dream High. But his character is completely different. In that one he's kind of a bumbling country boy making his way in the big city. But his heart is just beautiful. Dream High is about a group of kids who go to a special high school for kids who are talented in music and dance. It begins with a photo of the six leads being discussed by a reporter as having huge world star "K" as part of the group. The rest of the series follows the kids different paths through school as we try to discover which is K. The main triangle is great and the side couple are SOOOO adorable. It's a pretty good drama. Make sure you watch the first Dream High. I hear there is a Dream High 2 now as well.

Now back to Moon. I actually loved both brothers in their young and old persona. I'm a fan of Jung Il Woo (Old Yang Myung) from other dramas he's been in, so that could bias me toward him a bit. Like you said in your post the politics is hard to follow and sometimes illogical. But I mentioned previously that if you just focus on the drama as primarily a romance between the King and Yeon Woo then it is more enjoyable. Loved this drama as you know even with the convoluted politics.

I know this was mentioned earlier but if you want another historical drama with a much tighter political storyline and an epic love that cannot be then try the Princess' Man. It also has some amazing music in it. And the h is one of the strongest of any k-drama I've seen. Especially in a time where women had basically no power. And the H is pretty amazing too. Especially once he gets his "mane of glory" going. And he's got the most adorable crooked smile ever. Loved him, her, and the drama as a whole.

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 9:29:15 AM PDT
Nodame Cantabile - a jdrama classical music comedy

If you love classical music this is definitely the one to watch. A substantial portion of each of the eleven episodes is devoted to either performances, competitions or practices featuring classical music. While they do an excellent job making it seem that the actors are actually playing their instruments, I believe the actual music heard is from a professional symphony.

The comedy is frequently over the top/cartoonish and the romance takes a significant back seat to the music. The H/h are typical manga - H is brilliant but cold and the h is stalkerish. H/h help each other overcome childhood trauma to realize their musical dreams.

As mentioned by another contributor to this thread, jdrama does lack the drama of kdrama and this drama is no exception, but the music in this drama is truly outstanding.

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 10:16:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2012 10:21:05 AM PDT
Julia S. says:
I'm totally surprised to see this discussion on Amazon for some reason^^ Sort of unexpected. Practically all the dramas I see listed I agree with.
I don't know if Full House was mentioned but that's one of my favorite dramas I recommend. It's funny and cute with a interesting plot. The male lead (played by Bi - totally hot KPOP singer in real life) gets really jealous and vice versa. It wasn't as well developed a plot as Secret Gardens, but it was one of the earlier dramas I watched and that made me fall in love with K-drama.

In addition to, Full House, I agree with and suggest:
Coffee Prince
Personal Taste
My Girl
City Hall (Don't know if this one was mentioned actually. Very good drama)
Scent of a Woman (Don't know if this one was mentioned either. Loved it though and watched it with my mother who loved it as well)

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 10:36:22 AM PDT
Lovely D.M. says:
Rashell, I too feel the need for a respite after I've watched a sad drama/romance, but I love "Sky Of Love" (the miniseries). Absolute Boyfriend also (Spoiler) had a sad/tearful ending for Night and Riko, but she still ends up with the CEO's handsome son, so it's more like a bitter/sweet ending... Also "The Moon That Embraces The Sun" is on my "want to watch" list, and I will check it out sometime soon because you guys always talk about it so well, but right now I'm just not in the mood for a historical.

Reader123 I agree with you about Hana Kimi, I don't know why it is rated so highly on dramacrazy. For me it was just a silly comedy that does have some charm, but I don't think that it deserves to be anywhere near the top, IMO.
I also have a question, once I click on dramacrazy I can see the top 7 rated dramas/romances but not the rest. Can you tell me if there is a way to view a full list of their top rated 25 or perhaps 50 dramas? I'm curious about that, because I want to see if I might find some good ones to watch. Oh and I was glad to see You're Beautiful rated as number one! Hana Yori Dango is also very highly rated at number 5, but I think it should have been at least number 2 !

I also took a look at the new titles posted on epdrama, and I'm looking forward to "Love Rain"- hopefully it will be as good as the teasers on youtube make it look.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 10:43:45 AM PDT
D.M.
At Dramacrazy all of the dramas are ranked. To see dramas by ranking, click the Most Popular button at the top left hand corner (to the left of alphabet listing). To scroll to next page see 1-2-3-next button below last drama listed (at bottom of page).
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  95
Total posts:  4429
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2012
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions