Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Halloween
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Worst Betrayl Ever!!!

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 10, 2010 7:49:10 AM PDT
Ok I can't really remember the name of this book but it was a old harlequin presents book and it was pretty darn good if I remember correctly. Anyway the h/h had been having an affair for years. Then out of the blue he tells her that he's going to marry his business partners young daughter. But it won't change anything between them, since he's not sexually attracted to her. By the way the daughter doesn't really want to marry him, she's a bit of a doormat. He doesn't understand why the herione is upset . Instead of sitting my the phone waiting for his callthe herione changes the locks and moves on with her life. He becomes wildly jealous when he is kicked out of her life and groveling ensues. You get the feeling that he realizes that the herione was the best thing in his life. This was one of my favorite books. Does anyone rememer the name of this book. I think I must have read it in the 80's.

Posted on Jun 10, 2010 8:11:01 AM PDT
booknuts says:
Another couple of HP books dealing with betrayal are "The Billionaire's Pregnant Mistress (Lucy Monroe) and The Greek's Ultimate Revenge (Julia James). I've re-read them quite a bit; both stories are poignant and eventually have a HEA. I like the HP's for a quick read to unwind at the end of a long day!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 8:31:36 AM PDT
misty9 says:
Sorry, my mistake. I forgot to say that he was never contacted because she saw him 'die' and anyway he was under an alias. Even the first time they were together, he was pretending, giving her a false name, already knowing he would dump her before long.
This book really left a sour taste in my mouth.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 8:32:00 AM PDT
boogenhagen says:
Ms. Brown--That book sounds really good, do remember what author maybe? I would like to read this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 8:35:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2010 8:36:29 AM PDT
Misty, well believed dead under an alias certainly changes things - and really puts a crimp in making contact. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 8:52:59 AM PDT
Reader in NJ says:
I think that HP is "Raging Passion" by Amanda Carpenter

Posted on Jun 10, 2010 9:01:35 AM PDT
beaches&wine says:
I agree with Misty that book was a big let down. I usually enjoy Susan Mallery's books but I just didn't get what happened with that one. I find it hard to imagine that the h would be able to totally trust the H, he was planing to kidnap their child, that she had raised. Also it was would be hard to trust he cared for her because if he had never seen the photo of the boy and her he would not have come back into her life at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 9:02:38 AM PDT
Lady Writer says:
This is SO Kat Martin, tho, Jenny! Right? I mean, while on the one hand she is good, in every book I've ever read by her, the hero is such a jerk, and somehow the lady ends up in his bed in the end, thinking he's the most wonderful man. Her heroes, for the most part, are way too flawed for my patience.

Julie Dolcemaschio
Author, Testarossa

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 9:17:04 AM PDT
boogenhagen says:
Reader in NJ: Your great! Thanks, I have to read this book.

Posted on Jun 10, 2010 9:49:06 AM PDT
I love this thread and appreciate all the recommendations. 'Risk Everything' is the best ever and I have the other 2 in the series in my tbr box.

A general comment on kidnapping: First I would have to look at each situation on its own. For example, if the heroine was afraid of the hero. Some of these guys are rich and spoiled with an overwhelming sense of entitlement. Usually the heroine is poor, at least not wealthy, and would not be able to afford the legal fees involved if the hero decided to 'grease palms' or whatever it took to get custody. That would be enough to sending me into hiding. And if it's a wealthy hero from another country, then trying to get a child back from a kidnapping would be just about impossible. This would be devastating to the heroine and the child. Goodness knows, we've seen enough of that in the news over the years.

Like I said, each case is different. Now if the heroine was just keeping the child secret out of spite, especially if she knew the hero would want to know, well that's a different scenario and I wouldn't agree with that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 2:12:02 PM PDT
Vanessa says:
Reader in NJ does Raging Passion have cheating in it. The only reviewer acts like it does.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 2:16:53 PM PDT
BargainBooks says:
In Raging Passion the H makes a comment saying something like " Couldn't you tell I hadn't been with another woman for over a year..." h/H had been in a relationship for over two years. That's the only mention of infidelity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 2:17:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2010 2:18:40 PM PDT
Reader in NJ says:
Vanessa, I don't remember but don't think so. The woman he was planning to marry -- MOC -- business with her father -- he didn't do anything with -- no cheating. I am pretty sure that he didn't cheat with anyone else during that time. So from the time the story was written where he tells her he plans to marry somone else there is no cheating.
Maybe someone else remembers more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 2:55:48 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
Vanessa & RNJ & BB--I just read it-- I found it on, the H says "There has been no other woman for over two years" -- so she thought he had but basically he would just avoid her when things got too intense for him. There may have been cheating early on, they had a 3 year relationship, but I don't think there was. It was a really good book.

Posted on Jun 10, 2010 6:36:20 PM PDT
beaches&wine says:
I just finished it now also, thanks for the recommendation. And have to second it, it was a very good book, I loved that she made him work for the relationship and did not just give in to what he wanted. I enjoyed that she showed the H her pain and anger over his treatment of her and their relationship.

Posted on Jul 8, 2010 11:32:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2010 11:33:18 PM PDT
readsalot says:
Thank you so much for recommending the Lady Gallant! I absolutely LOVED this book!

I have a question though, maybe I missed something here because it sounded like the hero DID cheat in the book, although he did not complete the act (climax), but he was having intercourse when he was interrupted. At least thats' how I read it.

The heroine is asleep when she hears moans and another bed creaking. She looks up and sees that her door is open, so she gets up from her bed and looks into the Hero's room. In that room a naked couple is laying on a bed, a women is moaning with her legs spread wide open, and the hero is in between those legs sucking on her nipples. He turns his head here and sees the heroine. He gets up and says something like .... " blah blah blah ...he's going to resume his ride" .

Did I miss something? Did he say something later in the book that said there wasn't penetration and I missed this sentence? Because it sounds to me as if he was in middle of intercourse when the heroine caught him.

Anyway, this was a keeper worthy book!

Posted on Jul 9, 2010 12:20:30 AM PDT
readsalot: Later on when he discovers that the h has been crying, H goes and questions the other woman about why h has been left crying all day. Other woman says something along the lines of "Wasn't that the purpose of last night's masquerade?" Which I have always taken to mean that the whole scene was a set-up for the specific purpose of both hurting the h and trying to convince her to divulge her sources by offering to take up with her instead.

Posted on Jul 9, 2010 1:16:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2010 1:18:39 AM PDT
readsalot says:
Yes, he planned the whole thing. I think he even left the door open so the noise would wake her. However.... they were having sex when she walked in, right? (this is what confuses me) It didn't seem like he was just fooling around with the OW, but in fact, in middle of sex. I would consider this cheating even if the intent was just for show.

If you've never read this book, please don't let my comment discourage you from getting it. I'm one of those people who hate cheating romances, but I firmly believe if the author is talented enough, they can pull off this plot. The author pulled it off here and this cheating (questionable), although painful to see is worth it, for all the groveling and remorse the hero goes through later.

Posted on Jul 9, 2010 4:56:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2010 4:56:50 AM PDT
Shabby girl says:
This is one of my fave books, and this part of the book has been discussed much previously.

I think at that time most readers believed, and what I believe, is he did not cheat, It was a set up, obviously, and he didn't want the woman he was with. It was fake just to hurt the h for what he believed was her betrayal. He didn't complete the act -I believe he never intended to, he just had to make it look good for his purposes. I fully believe he was well and truly in love with the h by then and he wasn't interested in any other woman -it was for show because he wanted to hurt her. My two cents worth! Best grovel ever! Great book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2010 5:39:20 AM PDT
molly o says:
gayle brown
is this da book where da h is a model breaks it off with and goes to be with her father on da way she has a car accident because if it i would love to no da name as well i think it was da 80's read it a long time ago allways stuck in my mind.

Posted on Jul 9, 2010 6:40:54 AM PDT
beaches&wine says:
It sounds like "Raging Passion" by Amanda Carpenter. I just read it after seeing it in a thread here recently and enjoyed it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2010 6:56:18 AM PDT
Reader in NJ says:
Chardonnay, You are right -- It is "Raging Passion" it was mentioned a few posts down from Gayle's.

Posted on Jul 9, 2010 7:16:28 AM PDT
I. Manster says:
Hi Cathleen Powell - The book is called Hostage Bride. I've read that one and it's good. It's one of Janet Dailey's old Silhouette novels.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2010 7:29:25 AM PDT
J. Joachim says:
In Bachelor's Bought Bride, hero gets $1MM for marrying heroine. He takes it even though he says he's in love with her so he can start his own business. When she finds out, he has plenty of groveling to do and does it in public on the front page of the newspaper and on the TV news! Now that's groveling!1

In my new book, "Now and Forever, a Love Story", there is no betrayal, but there's plenty of love and suspense. Try it!

Posted on Jul 9, 2010 9:32:34 AM PDT
How about the book "Skye O'Malley" by Bertrice Small. Husband and his own sister, yuk!
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  491
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jan 30, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 27, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 96 customers

Search Customer Discussions