Customer Discussions > Romance forum

HP discussion. Good bad and inbetween.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 28, 2011 4:17:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2011 4:30:04 PM PDT
readsalot says:
Seton was the one who actually rec'd this book so all credit goes to her.

I gave in and read Pleasure or Marriage (because Double D said the magic words - good groveling - haha, and you were so right) and found myself enjoying it. It wasn't good enough for me to start ordering her other titles but I didn't consider it a waste of my time. :)

I agree that the h was an utter doormat and yet I didn't hate or despise her. How could you hate an adoring puppy, this is what she reminded me of, a lost puppy without a home. She was so completely exasperating in her hero worship but she redeemed herself at the end, thats the important thing. I think this is why I enjoyed this book as much as I did, it wasn't just the H smartening up but the h as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2011 12:09:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2011 4:59:14 PM PDT
Books&Wine says:
Seton,
I've also heard positve things about Karina Bliss and Sarah Mayberry, so I've got them in my TBR pile. Kathryn Shay is hit and miss for me. Some of hers I've really liked, but others not as much, especially the firefighter ones (too much info dump on firefighting.)

Several of my old favorites aren't writing, or at least writing series, anymore. I read a lot of Paula Detmer Riggs, Ruth Wind, older Justine Davis, Rachel Lee and Judith Arnold books. I like Kathleen Eagle and have enjoyed a couple of Anna Adams' novels as well as Lynette Kent.

Any suggestions for writers like this would be appreciated.

Edited to add: also liked Cheryl Reavis and Emilie Richards.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2011 1:49:59 PM PDT
Double D says:
I messed up I confess. I feel the same way about Lynne Graham too but I did get the author wrong for Stormy Greek Menage, oops I meant Marriage. I am sorry.

I wish I had a mind like boogenhagens and could keep books straight. Sorry!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2011 1:54:12 PM PDT
Double D says:
readsalot, I liked the h too. I like them much more like this than when they argue/bicker/deny too much. And not communicate either. This h definitely communicated and once she realized what he was thinking, she left him and made him come to her three times before she gave him a break. I liked that.

Posted on Mar 29, 2011 11:48:23 PM PDT
Daphne Clair's "Dark Remembrance"

Just read this after someone recommended it. One of things I particularly liked was that the hero Logan was just an average guy who worked his way up. At the beginning of their marriage, I thought he was kind of cold, sometimes harsh, but came to realize he was frustrated at the heroine Raina's blindness. I would have liked the book to be a bit longer so Logan's thoughts could be presented. She was really a witch sometimes, but she knew she was, which made it a bit more interesting. When she finally thought things through and could be honest with herself, then they could really communicate. Last but certainly not least was this quote by Logan which I copied and pasted from a posting by Elera Tempest.

Logan to Raina : "All I care about is having you near me, where I can breathe the same air you breathe, eat at the same table, live in the same house, care about the same child. Because the hell of having you near me, and knowing you don't want me, is definitely preferable to the hell of not having you at all."

Melting here. Do guys like this really exist? Sigh...

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 12:00:48 AM PDT
SandyC says:
Cinnamon Girl, "Dark Remembrance" is one of my favorites, despite it being un-PC. I liked the end, when he forced her to face reality once and for all.

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 12:41:35 AM PDT
seton says:
re: Dark Remembrance
the entire last 20 pages made the bk for me. Probably the best ILY scenes DC ever wrote. The paragraph before that quote where Logan talks about how he had given her 'everything except the last tattered remnants of his pride' was great too.

Then the scene where Logan and Danny agree that Danny will call Logan "Daddy" has me bawling. Then the scene later that night where Raina says ILY "in cold blood". Sigh. This bk went into a rare brutal honesty that few romances reach and is memorable because of it.

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 7:08:22 AM PDT
boogenhagen says:
Dark Remembrance is one of my favorite Daphne Clair's, the book is brutally honest but Logan was a perfect H. I had such a crush when I first read this back in the day and I still reread it now.

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 9:42:14 AM PDT
misty9 says:
Just wanted to point out that the HP author is Julia James, not Julie James, who is a romance author, but,AFAIK, doesn't write for Harlequin.
They have two completely different styles and I do not think they're the same person.
I like Julie James's works, but don't care much for Julia James

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 10:38:00 AM PDT
Vanessa says:
I know off topic - did you happen to read A Lot Like Love? I so enjoyed that book! It was so much fun. I actually got to participate in a chat w/ Julie James last week.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 2:57:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2011 2:57:30 PM PDT
>>Because the hell of having you near me, and knowing you don't want me, is definitely preferable to the hell of not having you at all."<<

>>'everything except the last tattered remnants of his pride'<<

Isn't that basically the HP spineless doormat heroine mantra? :D

Seton, yes that was me on goodreads. I friended you though I have NOTHING on my page after 4 months. I basically use it as a placeholder/bookmark to look at discussions.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 3:22:58 PM PDT
seton says:
Well, Raina was a bit of a bich who wasnt satisfied until she squashed Logan under her heel. Poor Logan.
And no prob on GR, I dont use my Facebook account either except to answer friend requests and enter giveaways. I hate that place. Find it very user-unfriendly.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 9:42:04 PM PDT
Double D says:
I just finished The Italian's Token Wife (Harlequin Presents) and I loved it! I thought it was one of the best "Cinderella" romances I have read. I love that type of story and it even made me cry a little.

I think it was Baby of Shame that made me stop reading her but I am glad someone mentioned this book. It was very touching and I can go to sleep now with pleasant dreams. I also Ordered Greek Tycoon, Waitress Wife and I am going on vacation on Saturday and can't wait to read it. Thank you all. I love this community!

Posted on Apr 3, 2011 1:46:25 AM PDT
Michigangirl says:
Double D I wouldn't have thought you'd like ITW. I found the characters to be too shallow to actually like and I never could forgive the hero for not even recognizing the heroine as a human being until she had a make-over that turned her into a beautiful woman.

On the other hand, I just read Damiano's Return again. I just love how they kick everyone out. Even though it's really contrived that EVERYONE happens to come at that time, it's one of those great moments.

Posted on Apr 8, 2011 11:27:50 PM PDT
Michigangirl says:
Has anyone read The Pregnancy Secret by Maggie Cox? The one review makes it sound like it would be good, but the story itself has so much potential for badness and only a hint of goodness, I figured it'd be best to ask first.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2011 1:48:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 9, 2011 1:48:36 AM PDT
boogenhagen says:
I think we talked it about on one of the other HP threads too but I liked it. The plot is okay and there is a way older guy interested in Catherine that is a bit creepy but the love story part was good and there were some sweet moments in it. I did not think it was too preachy just kinda sad.

Posted on Apr 9, 2011 12:46:56 PM PDT
ICA says:
Double D, Greek Tycoon, Waitress Wife was the first James book I read and I loved it even though it gets mixed reviews. I also really liked The Italian's Token wife, but hated Baby of Shame. Have you read Lynne Graham's The Italian's Wife it is another really great (in my opinion) Cinerella romance and I think you will like it since you liked The Italian's Token wife.
The Italian's Wife (Romance)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2011 3:38:47 PM PDT
Vanessa says:
I thought it was kind of sad too and YES the other man was VERY CREEPY!! Wasn't he friends w/ her father and she got along w/ his wife too. But then the wife had passed away and he was looking at h as a replacement? Am I thinking of the right book?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2011 3:40:42 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
That is the one, she was kinda like What? I was icked though. Otherwise it was okay.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2011 3:47:13 PM PDT
Vanessa says:
I was icked too! LOL! I have to agree it was just okay. Wasn't anything that was really memorable about it for me though. Well just that ickiness stuff. I think they even treated h like a daughter. So for him to then have feelings for her . . . eeeewwwww. At least that is how I remember it. : )

Posted on Apr 10, 2011 10:07:18 AM PDT
Michigangirl says:
So I read The Proud Wife by Kate Walker. Anyone else read it yet?

The whole book spanned 2 and a half days. Probably closer to...24 hours all together.

It was really scattered and I just couldn't believe that they'd actually worked anything out. It helps that I never got a full rundown of why their marriage really ended. I don't even think the author knows why it ended. And the start is worded so it seems like they're both saying they want a divorce, but in such a way that you can interpret it as them saying they don't want a divorce.

At the start the hero says something about how his mother had women lined up to be his next wife as soon as he divorced the heroine. Later he says that his mother would be disappointed in him if he got a divorce because his family didn't do that. What?

And the mother was supposed to be this horrible woman that never accepted her, and she had so much trouble with her. She lived in the palace also, but we never actually make it to the palace so the mother was NEVER in the picture.

And at the end of the book they are basically right back in the same spot they were in when the got married in the first place. It felt like the author wasted 187 pages. They didn't even talk. They didn't even argue. What was accomplished?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2011 3:07:29 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
I read it, I have it on the shelf and I can barely remember The Proud Wife. I don't think I really even cared cause they really did not do anything about anything. I think she was going for angst and got murk soup.

Posted on Apr 10, 2011 11:21:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2011 11:22:23 PM PDT
seton says:
I don't read Kate Walker. She kinda writes outlines and barely fills them in with the basics.

Has anyone read THE ITALIAN'S PASSION by Elizabeth Power? I would like to but I am afraid that this is a Secret Baby from the backblurb. Does anyone know what is her "precious" "deepest secret"?

The Italian's Passion by Elizabeth Power

Will his passion reveal her precious secret?

Advertising executive Mel Sheraton has her life under control -- and she likes it that way. Until a trip to Italy brings her face-to-face with her past -- and gorgeous millionaire businessman Vann Capella.

Swept away, Mel can feel her life falling apart. The more time she spends with Vann, the more she risks him learning her deepest secret. But now that she's rediscovered their explosive passion, how can she live without it?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011 6:35:51 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
seton--I think it is a baby but I can't find it to check. sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011 6:39:01 PM PDT
seton says:
Thanks, Booge. It's okay. I've moved on to a Marton. I am not too far into it to commento. Except lots of sequel baiting, that is.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  232
Total posts:  9669
Initial post:  Feb 25, 2011
Latest post:  11 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 56 customers

Search Customer Discussions