Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Dear book buying confessional........

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 8:22:30 AM PDT
The zombiefied version of P&P really isn't much different from the original...basically the zombie parts were just added to what was already there, so the writing style is no different. However, it was fun.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 9:22:40 AM PDT
Noelle says:
I remember when I first started reading and my tbr would have 30 books in it, I would feel so bad thinking that 30 was a large number for unread books that I owned and I was still buying more books. Now my tbr is out of control (over 400), I have an arrangement with the UPS driver that he doesn't deliver after 5 (when DH gets home) and now I have taken September 20th off of work because a book I've waited a long time for is released that day. It also happens to be my b-day but I've never taken it off before, if it wasn't for this book being released I would be working it.lol I plan on sleeping in, buying the book and possibly more and drinking wine while I read all day. =)

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 9:54:14 AM PDT
I went this AM to pick up a cat from the vet's office. On the way home, I stopped by Dollar General to pick up a litter scoop. I came out with three books...and the litter scoop. Went to wallyworld last night to pick up a few items and came home with a book.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 9:54:36 AM PDT
Patysue says:
Sounds like the perfect birthday, Noelle!

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 9:55:22 AM PDT
KatWh says:
Noelle: That sounds like the best birthday plan ever. I think I might steal it in March.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 10:06:43 AM PDT
Noelle says:
I thought so too! lol

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 10:42:52 AM PDT
That sounds like a perfect birthday :)

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 11:32:12 AM PDT
NewDiane says:
It took me years, but I finally trained myself to stop going to bookstores. Instead, I browse my author list on Amazon and rarely browse by subject, to avoid impulse shopping.

Back in the olden days (pre-Amazon), I subscribed to 'Publishers' Weekly', so I always knew exactly what was coming out. I'd carry a list in my pocketbook and would have fun going from one bookstore to another to browse. In those times, there were TONS of bookstores, both chains, independents and used - NYC was the publishing capital of the US.

My biggest frustration was looking for out of print books, which could take years. I think my longest search lasted 10 years. Now, with the internet, I find books instantly and even have my choice of condition and price. It's wonderful, but it's also potentially a problem. With this economy, instant spending is truly a dangerous option.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 11:40:05 AM PDT
Patysue says:
Anyone ever a part of Bookstore Junkies? It was a group on the Web who specialized in looking for books for others. They had a list-serve group I use to belong to. You just posted your "wish" and sometime would contact you by email and tell you they had it for sale. It was a good way to find HTF books. Wonder if they still exist.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 11:59:26 AM PDT
Noelle says:
I have to admit that I dont' go to the book store as often, or hardly at all, as I used to. I still love to go though, to me nothing beats that feeling of walking into the bookstore and seeing all of those books for me to buy. I do have to bring my Kindle with me so I can look up my books on goodreads just incase I have or have read a book that I'm thinking of buying, that way I don't do anymore double purchases. I also spend more time in the ubs that say Barns & Nobles.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 12:00:48 PM PDT
Noelle says:
That sounds interesting Patysue and a great way to find book or rather they find you.lol

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 12:22:55 PM PDT
D. Stom says:
Since I purchased my kindle a few months ago (less than 4), I have definitely become a book-buying fiend. And the auto-buy button is the majority of the reason. When I was purchasing printed books, I at least knew to stop when I couldn't hold any more, or when the basket/bag started to break. Now, my TBR folder has at least as many as my other 5 collections, and the only real thing that's stopping me is my account balance... Fortunately (or un-, depending on the perspective) I don't have to answer to anyone else about the (mis)use of funds. And if I were independently wealthy, I probably would be perfectly content to spend the rest of my days lounging around and reading 2-3 books per day. :)

one thing I've noticed (and yes, it happened at least twice - that I'll publicly admit - before I caught myself and stopped) is that when perusing via kindle there's no "update - you purchased this on [date]" but it is prominently displayed when I start browsing on http://amazon.com. Does anyone else know if Amazon has plans to add this statement to the kindle store?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 12:31:32 PM PDT
Noelle says:
I have wondered if my Kindle would "tell" me if I tried to purchase a book that I have already bought. I guess it doesn't do that huh?? Hopfully they will add that feature soon.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 12:36:06 PM PDT
My romance buddy asked if she could get a few deliveries at my house, for a second I thought she might be dealing drugs or buying too kinky to be believed sex toys, but it turns out she's trying to hide her online book purchases from her husband. Hubby doesn't like it if she spends more than $50 a month on books.

It's kinda funny, but sad too.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 12:44:01 PM PDT
Noelle says:
LOL, I never thought of having them delivered to a neighbor........now wich one do I trust to keep my secret.......lol. My husband's okay with my book buying as long as I TRY to keep it around 200.00 a month anything over that I try to hide. =D

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 1:01:33 PM PDT
Noelle, I think it WILL tell you if you ultimately try to buy it again using the Kindle Store on you Kindle. It just doesn't give you a "heads up" like the Amazon website does.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 1:03:28 PM PDT
KC says:
Ouch! Not having that will hurt; I use it to check about movies as well. Oh well, sharpen the old brain a bit, I guess.

I had to laugh reading about converting rooms as folks move out; the day after I moved out (many years ago), my sister converted my bedroom to a sewing room; day after my brother moved out, his bedroom became a guest room (and she put up very floral wallpaper to discourage his "guesting"), so there was no going back for either of us. When my sister finally moved out, my mother converted my sister's room to her sewing room (huge!), and my former bedroom to an office.

I should have bought a three-bedroom house, but at the time, two bedrooms seemed like plenty! Hah!

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 1:20:25 PM PDT
Noelle says:
Thanks jerseygirldownsouth, that's good to know.

@KC- well if your books seem to out grow your house you can always add onto the house or build a woman cave in an outide building. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 1:26:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 16, 2011 1:27:39 PM PDT
D. Stom says:
@jerseygirldownsouth & noelle:
nope - doesn't say anything (except "thanks for your purchase"). at least, mine doesn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 1:30:09 PM PDT
KC says:
Noelle, I might just have to build an outside building for that cave, but sheds lack the proper climate control, etc, and there's not space for much more in the yard! Hmm, I wonder what it would cost to increase the foundations & put a 2nd floor on the house? Yikes!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 1:40:15 PM PDT
Noelle says:
LMAO, anything for the books!

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 1:47:00 PM PDT
Ok, I'm going a little crazy adding books on goodreads...I do remember a surprising number :) My only complaints (and they're little) are that there's not as much selection for non English titles. I wanted to add Die Unendliche Geschichte by Michael Ende and had to settle for The Never Ending Story...and the other little tiny thing is that unlike shelfari which has more cover options (but doesn't confuse the same book different issue thing), goodreads doesn't always have the cover that I would like to select. But that really is a dumb sort of complaint! I think I got most of you as friends, but if I didn't and you want to add me, feel free :)

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 1:53:49 PM PDT
Noelle says:
I have the same problem with the covers to chose from. Some of mine are pretty old and the covers are nice but when you look at my goodreads shelf there is just a brown book cover because no pic is provided. And before anyone who I'm sure is helpful tries to tell me how to add the book cover, I am sooooo bad at computers I don't think that I could grasp the consept.lol

When I was listing books to my shelves I looked on Amazon, found my buying history to help remember books that I've read and sold to the ubs.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 2:23:26 PM PDT
Darn. Maybe there's a time limit. I do recall getting a warning at some point. But the old brain isn't what it used to be, either.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 2:38:25 PM PDT
TravelingGal says:
It only works if you buy a Kindle book and then you try and buy the same Kindle book again. It doesn't compare Kindle books to previously purchased paper books.

One exception is if you buy a Kindle book and that book is then re-issued under another ASIN number. In that case, Amazon does not recognize that they are the same book.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  200
Total posts:  5945
Initial post:  Aug 9, 2011
Latest post:  13 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions