Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Badly Behaving Authors

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 1, 2012 3:28:59 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 3, 2012 10:56:26 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 9:54:00 PM PDT
Winter says:
From February of this year, a cry in the wilderness?

http://www.amazon.com/review/ROQ5ICFPDDRCG/ref=cm_cr_rev_detmd_pl?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx106S4SMQZSQM5&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&asin=B0070ME60G&store=digital-text&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx3P7A9A9UFT2WR&cdMsgID=Mx3GJI80IB75WY0#Mx3GJI80IB75WY0

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 10:09:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2012 10:10:21 PM PDT
Winter says:
In yet another sad series of reviews, disappointed readers lament that the book received raves but it is incoherent, poorly thrown together, makes no sense etc. One of the comments on these disappointed reviews was:

"I know better than to buy the "featured" kindle books. I fell for that 3 times and am now much wiser"

Now, this is something I hadn't heard. I believed that "featured" either meant Amazon wanted to advertise it for some reason or that the author paid to advertise as 'featured' (similar to web searches). But this reader's comment suggests that she's been burned by 'featured' selections. Anyone had that experience? (PS: I only read non-troll posts, I set trolls on 'ignore') Do you find yourself avoiding "featured" selections? I guess I am wondering if fake 'rave' reviews help a book become featured and then eager readers pick it up hoping it's great and then....*sigh*
I think if readers start giving up on reviews because the reviews are fake/shills, the 'refund' rate is going to go 'up' and readers are going to start looking something similar to NY Times best seller lists. I am tired of books not edited or even spell checked and I see places like Ny Times which have recommended indie books, but I had hoped to get away from having big publication reviewers recommend books. For the indie pool to stay open to the public as much as possible, I think they'll have to create their own quality standards, whatever they are, and then flag books that meet those standards. I hate the idea but finding the good indies when so much poor quality stuff is flooding the zone is just not working for me. I hope to find something less corporate than NY Times to help me sift through the chaff.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 10:31:35 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
I don't know, as I haven't read any of the "featured" Kindle books. I do think a lot of books have shill reviews and whatnot -- I think I've made my opinions pretty clear on that.

That said, I would also think that the reviews, BOTH good and bad, on any book that's received an extra amount of publicity need to be taken with a grain of salt and that the overall curve tells a better story than any one (or ten) reviews.

While I totally agree that about 99% of the "attack review" posts we get on the forums are actually genuine criticism, I do think that when any book, but especially an indie one, hits a point where it's being spotlighted and has a huge jump in sales, that it does actually get poor reviews from readers with an agenda. Some of those reviews might be other indie authors with an axe to grind, or readers who are genuinely annoyed with Indies and are looking to get a shot in.

Even over-hyped trad-pubbed books get these kinds of reviews once they hit a certain publicity tipping point.

Of course, it depends on where the book was "featured" and a lot of other things. If the criticism is genuine (and it may well be), then eventually the weight of the reviews will shift that way, and the author will see a huge jump in returns.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 10:52:55 PM PDT
I've never seen the Kindle featured books. Where do you find them?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 10:56:54 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
It's hard to know what a reviewer is talking about. There are some places where Amazon has featured books -- like the spread they did for that one author a week or two ago, and they also feature them on "movers and shakers" lists and on the "100 Kindle books for $3.99 or less" books in a given month.

But there are also other sites like Kindle Nation Daily where authors can pay to be the featured book of the day, and the quality of those is all over the map.

So, without knowing where it was featured, it's really difficult to make an assessment.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 11:15:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2012 11:27:15 PM PDT
Winter says:
Thank you for the thoughtful reply, TM!

Anna,
The 'featured books' is usually somewhere on the ebooks page. Sometimes they are 'featured' for a price point (i.e., kindle books on sale for 2.99) and sometimes they just say 'featured'.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eBooks/b/ref=sv_kstore_2?ie=UTF8&node=1286228011

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 11:20:15 PM PDT
Winter says:
Nice of the author to clear the air with a comment. A reader lamented a book was ripping off another author and that lady arrived to gently say that she knows the authors of the book that the reviewer was reviewing, the theme of the book is timeless and not a theft of hers etc. Seems very nice:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2GCAWGGNW4F7E/ref=cm_cr_rev_detmd_pl?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx34CRT6W86FF7N&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&asin=B004NEW1P6&store=digital-text&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx3I6SD36FJPUGK&cdMsgID=Mx2V48C0TXV7SIW#Mx2V48C0TXV7SIW

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 11:46:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 1:01:52 AM PDT
Winter says:
THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR RENT:

I pulled the BBA off into a discussion of diamonds and champagne and TM and PeachBird were very patient in answering my questions etc. I have come back to a few of my longest posts and put them up for sale to spare others reading it. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 12:01:00 AM PDT
Ms. P. says:
I have no idea if that would work. It's an interesting idea. Since it would be opt-in it could open up another whole can of worms. What of Indies who don't consider their books "champagne"? Do they command a higher price? Who gets to determine that?

A lot of it boils down to professionalism. This new field of digital publishing has so many facets to it that nobody has ever dealt with before. What other job can someone just walk into with no experience or higher level education and expect to get paid and only have positive feedback? Even at McDonald's they train and then evaluate you.

It's a crazy amount of entitlement to expect paying customers to train you and put shiny gold stars on your every attempt.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 12:03:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 1:03:03 AM PDT
Winter says:
THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR RENT:

I pulled the BBA off into a discussion of diamonds and champagne and TM and PeachBird were very patient in answering my questions etc. I have come back to a few of my longest posts and put them up for sale to spare others reading it. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 12:06:30 AM PDT
Ms. P. says:
Oh, and as far as I know, Amazon does not offer paid advertising for Indies at all. An Editor's pick probably really is.

There are so many poorly edited indie books out there that it's an easy way to slam any Indie book and be believed in a review regardless of truthfulness.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 12:09:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 12:10:03 AM PDT
Winter says:
THANKS TM!

PS: If it looks like something I'd like to read, I download the sample. Thus far the spelling/punct errors cited have been true for the limited number of books I have checked this way. I do believe there are freaks who do that sort of fake slam because they like to cause disruption or have a grudge etc. so I don't want to miss out on something good because of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 12:11:11 AM PDT
Ms. P. says:
It is definitely a problem. I wish I knew the solution. Or that people would just be honest.

Waiting a while could help. Or just relying on recommendations from people you trust.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 12:20:29 AM PDT
peachbird76 says:
I agree with TM.
How would anyone decide which books are champagne and which aren't?
It's a good idea you have Winter but a lot of what happens now relies on peoples honesty and we all know how questionable that is at times.
It would be the same if you had differing standards for books.
There would always be those that think their work is better than it actually is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 4:21:31 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 3, 2012 10:56:29 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 4:58:06 AM PDT
Tansy Gold says:
I dont' know what happened to the BBR thread, so I'll just post this here as evidence.

I have now been officially cyber stalked. I made the mistake of giving a one-star review to Chelsea Hoffman's fantasy novel Wisteria Falls. After a go-around last night with someone named "Dizzy Monroe" about my review, that person has now left nasty comments on every single review I've posted, including for books that were copyright infringements and others that have been pulled from Amazon for exactly the complaints I registered. "Dizzy" has accused me of advocating for Amazon not to publish self-published authors, for being spiteful and hating self-published authors, for being a serial one-star rater and "high fiving" with other indie-hating reviewers.

I have lodged a customer service complaint and have reported at least some of "Dizzy"'s comments as abusive, but i'm not sure where to go from here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 5:09:15 AM PDT
Except Bridges going to each one and leaving a generic review out of what can only be spite. Along with his cowardly passive aggressive, "Just sayin'."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 5:10:06 AM PDT
Dizzy Monroe says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 5:12:48 AM PDT
Dizzy Monroe says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 5:14:20 AM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Good god, it's another one. 'Ignore.'

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 5:18:00 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 2, 2012 12:25:06 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 5:18:11 AM PDT
peachbird76 says:
Yep. Yet another head of the hydra troll.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 5:20:55 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 2, 2012 12:25:12 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 5:22:16 AM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
;)
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  214
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jun 23, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions