Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Which Kristen Ashely do I read next?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 8:47:27 AM PST
Romance Diva says:
It's called Heaven & Hell (that is the working title)

http://www.kristenashley.net/bin/download_blob.php?id=czo2NDoiLTeQPlUsSQ8TeQSlAsHJlyrB3OT4Mfth71gSNI4bU9TeQSlAsH7MhA6dRcgvA5jtPTeQPlUsSrS6ChjeRaZJboQLryZg1BpNcinKCmxeSl3bS6UUiyI7

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 8:49:49 AM PST
Speaking of KA books. I've read The Burg series, The Colorado series, The Dream Men series, Golden Trail, Golden Dynasty, and am working my way through the Rock Chick series. What do y'all suggest I read next?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 9:18:35 AM PST
Romance Diva says:
Fantastical!!!!!!! I really loved that book.

Fantastical (Fantasyland Series)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 9:26:18 AM PST
TravelingGal says:
It's called Heaven and Hell and the link to the PDF is at the bottom of the home page under Check Out What I'm Working On

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 9:31:39 AM PST
Thanks for the link. Now I can't wait for the book to come out. Thank goodness she is a writing fiend. Her books are so long, filled with so much depth, character development, and plot detail that I almost feel cheated with shorter books.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 9:32:29 AM PST
OK, Fantastical it is! Off to exercise the one-click crack button. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 9:33:03 AM PST
Nils says:
What is it that's so great about Golden Dynasty? You all seem to love it so much. The premise looks okay, but isn't grabbing me. So what is it that you love?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 9:35:00 AM PST
Romance Diva says:
Exactly! KA has made my crack finger more critical. I have a hard time paying $5 for 1/4 the amount of the locations I get from an Ashley book.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 9:48:28 AM PST
bsedam says:
Romance Diva

I really liked Fantastical as well. Liked H

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 10:00:57 AM PST
Mercered says:
Janet: I'm with you as long as I have butter to go with the bread...real butter. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 10:01:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2011 10:03:48 AM PST
For me it's a realistic portrayal of a barbarian culture. KA doesn't tone down that aspect of their society - think Genghis Khan. The premise of the story is an alternate Earth with a twin in each. The Earth h goes to sleep and wakes up penned just prior to the barbarian's "bride hunt," where the "brides" are turned loose and hunted down. For the women of the "horde" it's considered an honor. For the women who are captured it is rape pure and simple. Let me tell you that rape is my personal deal breaker. I was raped and I DO NOT read books with rape in them. So for me to tell you that KA makes this work is a HUGE deal on my part. In fact there is a lot about this book that is normally deal breakers because of my personal past. But again, KA makes it work. In this barbarian culture the male children are taken from their parents and put into warrior training at age FIVE. They have been trained to be vicious, brutal warriors and to shut off all of the gentler emotions. The H is their King by might not heredity. He is the baddest of the bad. To see this brutal man experiencing emotions that he doesn't even know what they are is moving. In one scene there is an outdoor ceremony in which it is important that he and his Queen (yes, the h becomes Queen) stay for the entire ceremony. His people are olive skinned and have lived outdoors all their lives. They don't speak the same language and she tries to tell him through an interpreter that she has to go inside. He doesn't understand what the sun will do to her and he forces her to stay outside all day. Of course she get sun poisoning and is deathly ill that night. He is frantic, realizes that he caused her illness, and feels guilty. But he doesn't recognize that the feeling that he has is guilt.

So, I think for me it is the realistic portrayal of a brutal barbarian who loves his h and will do anything to protect her. His basic personality doesn't change outside of the feelings he has for the h. I like that because it stretches my "willing suspension of belief" when the barbarian suddenly becomes all nicey nice all for love of the h.

ETA - I used their instead of there!!! My personal pet peeve!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 10:17:10 AM PST
Nils says:
Any kind of synopsis at all .... even a hint of why it resonated ... just not getting the info.... :-)

Thank you!

I keep thinking I've read enough Kristen Ashley, but then next thing I know I buy two more. I've discovered tons of indie stuff lately that I like, but she's the best. And in my price range as well! I've bought things newly released for 7.99 and 9.99 and then am so disappointed. I buy an Ashley for 3.99 or 4.99 and it's an incredible read.

So if you are reading this monster thread, Ms. Ashley, don't stop!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 10:26:49 AM PST
TravelingGal says:
I really liked Lahn a lot. OTOH, Circe wasn't my favorite heroine. It's been a while since I read it but, as I recall, she was a little too flighty Rock Chick girl for me. I liked the heroine in Fantastical a lot more.

Do you think that one of the reason KA can make it work is that the description of the rape occurring to the heroine is relatively perfunctory?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 12:09:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2011 12:12:06 PM PST
That, and I think also she makes it clear that culturally it's not looked at the same way that we look at rape. Remember that in our culture rape is an act of violence that uses sex as the weapon. It is not a sexual act. In the context of the story, the barbarians don't view it the same as we do rape. It is the culmination of the bride hunt. Warriors paint themselves in "their" colors and the bride hunt begins. The warrior chases down the woman he wants as his bride, often fighting other warriors in a life or death battle to win the bride. He "takes" his bride and brings her back covered only in his paint where they are then declared married.

ETA - to correct lots of typos

So, to me and to the h it is rape clear and simple, no question. But, to the horde it is something entirely different. I think that KA does an excellent job making that distinction very, very clear. And, I think that is why it works. At least, that's why it works for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 12:21:03 PM PST
viennalady says:
Thanks Janet M. Lopez, I don´t need more spoilers. So before I go back to read The Gamble I want to thank you all for the recommendations, I was so happy with Sweet Dreams and as far as I can see I will be happy with a lot more books from Kristen Ashley.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 12:21:26 PM PST
Katherine says:
Anyone willing to lend me the Gamble? my email is katw927@aol.com!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 12:26:38 PM PST
Katherine,

I just sent it. Happy reading! Janet

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 12:35:27 PM PST
Katherine says:
Thanks so much I got it!!!!!!!!

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 12:36:56 PM PST
Miss says:
So I just read the sample chapters of Heaven and Hell and it was pretty good, so now I have to wait until it comes out to get the rest of the story which is lame. Seriously I don't know why I do this to myself!!!!

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 3:18:33 PM PST
Susan says:
Wow. I just finished Sweet Dreams and it was awesome!!! Are you guys suggesting that her other stuff is just as good? If so, I may have just found a new favorite author....and I'd ask if someone would loan me some of the others but I'm thinking they may turn into keepers for me. Thank you all for the recommendation!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 3:24:44 PM PST
Mercered says:
Susan: Sweet Dreams was awesome wasn't it? I love me some Tate! I just finished that and At Peace....I'm reading Lady Luck right now.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 3:47:33 PM PST
Seriously, KA is becoming an expensive addiction. I would ask people to loan me her books, but what's the point? I know I'm going to eventually buy them. I just finished reading Fantastical. As usual, great book. I've liked all her books, some more than others of course. I'm generally not a fan of romantic comedy so while I thoroughly enjoy her Rock Chick series they aren't my favorite. I'm also not a particular fan of fantasy but I loved Fantastical and am eagerly looking forward to Apollo's book. I wonder if I should stand on a street corner with a bucket and a sign that says "hungry for Kristen Ashley books, please help."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 3:48:01 PM PST
I right there with you sister!

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 3:54:52 PM PST
Susan says:
I just bought Lady Luck. Guess I'm dragging the iPad to the gym to read on the elliptical tomorrow morning....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 4:34:21 PM PST
TravelingGal says:
She did say it should be out in December so hopefully not too long to wait. The one I'm really waiting for is Hector and Sadie (the next Rock Chick) - that excerpt is just heart-breaking.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  310
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 41 customers

Search Customer Discussions