Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Badly Behaving Authors

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:55:34 PM PDT
Love4ever66 says:
Yes, that is the advice I just got from another. I am sorry, I'm new at all of this. All of you seem as if you have no problems putting your opinion out there, wish I could send to some of you and get an honest opinion. That would be great! I will take my review off, and again apologize not really knowing how this all works, but I am trying. :)

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 7:57:17 PM PDT
Love4ever66 says:
Definitely not best book..first and only book is more like it...but thanks I will check that out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 8:03:55 PM PDT
Tansy Gold says:
First of all, your book already had a review, so you didn't need to post your own -- or are both of them yours? In which case, you're a double liar. And that's not an insult -- it's honesty.

Reviews are for readers, not for authors. If you don't know for sure **before** you put your book online that it's of suitable quality in form and content, then you need to find a critique partner/group or just do your homework. Don't slap a $3.49 price tag on something you admit "has a ton of problems" and expect people to PAY YOU for it and then give you free editorial services on top of it. You're supposed to get your feedback before you publish; everything after that is for the reader.

Oh, and for what it's worth: There are a lot of full-length books of 200-400 pages that aren't priced at $3.49, so if you're not getting many sales, that may be part of the reason.

You certainly won't be getting it from me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 8:13:36 PM PDT
Love4ever66 says:
No the other was not from me, but I think it may be from someone I know...and as far as price definitely not set by me. There is no control on that, at least not with certain companies. I hope it doesn't have a "ton" of problems but and I am not asking anything from anyone for any profit that's for sure. It doesn't matter how many people read it again this is not for profit, one of my friends actually requested it thru their library - very cool and free to everyone to read.I did just want people to read it, possibly identify with some of it and hopefully just think it is a good story.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 8:15:59 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 30, 2012 4:00:00 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 8:20:43 PM PDT
Love4ever66 says:
Thank you...the most helpful information of the night. I have already deleted my review. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 8:22:20 PM PDT
Trolls? What trolls? All I see is:

[You are ignoring this customer's posts. Show post anyway.]

and

[Deleted by Amazon 1 hour ago]

It's rather quiet and serene from my viewpoint.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 8:25:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 3, 2012 10:56:02 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 8:31:08 PM PDT
Here's a thread in the Meet Our Authors Forum with some good advice for newbies. :)

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S&cdThread=Tx20GT3HUZ96C70

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 8:46:16 PM PDT
Helen A says:
>> Then, get a second reader ID, and promote your book without spam. Say "I read xxx types of books, and I just read one called xxx by yyy. Did anyone else read a similar book...<<

Personally I see that as dishonest. If you are going to post about your book, do so in the Meet the Authors Forum. If you are going to post in any of the reader forums, join conversations, share your views, post about *other* books you like, but do NOT post about *your* book. This is the quickest way to alienate many potential readers. If you put a link to your book in your profile, people who interact with you and who may then want to find out about your book, can do it that way.

Please do no self promote in the reader areas on the amazon website - whether it is under your own name/profile or a fake one. If/when people find out there can be a negative backlash - you do not want that.

NB. By "reader areas" I mean the customer reviews, and all the forums other than the Meet the Authors forum.

Helen

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 8:55:36 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
Whoever wrote that (I can guess, but it's someone I'm ignoring), is not only dishonest, but also dispensing bad advice.

These forums are a community, and people get to know one another. Sure, you might not get caught doing a few drive-bys with an anonymous account, recommending your book along with several others, but nobody is going to pay any attention to it, either. They're looking for recommendations from people they've seen around and whose opinions they trust.

Most readers can see right through those drive-bys and ignore them. They also keep mental tabs, and compare notes other places ("don't you guys think it's weird that three different people we've never heard of came by and recommended that self-pubbed book? Gee, I wonder who it really is?"), and authors get outed, and then those readers will REALLY never give you that word-of-mouth advertising you need to be successful.

I suppose you could take your time, and build up trust, and become a valued fake member of the community by doing that -- but at that point, it would be more effective to just be honest, because people will check out your book because they like you.

Or, you could be spending your time writing more books, or researching real marketing techniques.

Really, whether or not you're "caught" is the least of your worries if you follow that advice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 12:37:27 AM PDT
Iola says:
You might want to know that following Jeff's advice and getting a second Amazon user ID is also against their terms of service, and can result in both your ID's (and your books) being deleted.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 4:59:35 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 30, 2012 4:01:31 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 5:17:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 3, 2012 10:56:03 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 5:25:28 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 5:54:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 6:01:11 PM PDT
Winter says:
Skittles posts a *ahem* 'comment' on a review which he doesn't like:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3G20LAEAF4RBQ/ref=cm_cr_rev_detmd_pl?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3OGXSZAOC81NQ&cdMsgNo=5&cdPage=1&asin=B004S87M92&store=digital-text&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx1Z24M71W2I3DR&cdMsgID=Mx1W03PBWMT9UE1#Mx1W03PBWMT9UE1

And Skittles slams that reviewer by name in their own review of the same book:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R19M0Q7MMEC9U5/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

It's really ruining the brand 'Skittles' for me.... :(

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 6:04:06 PM PDT
Winter says:
Uh, I don't think I've seen a book with a 2 star average out of 95 reviews before. Well that's only because Heavemen: The Rise Of The Four was pulled down quickly....

When Night Falls

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 6:06:45 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 3, 2012 10:56:10 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 7:10:25 PM PDT
BBA Jon Layne Fisher's Stargate has a 1.3 star average out of 6 reviews, so he's in the running. ROFLOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 7:15:42 PM PDT
peachbird76 says:
Winter I can't for the life of me think why it would get pulled down.

Could it be the title perhaps?

Makes me think of people throwing up.
Could the four that rose consist of carrots and peas?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 7:20:03 PM PDT
Winter says:
I am NEVER! EVER! going to drink tea while reading your posts AGAIN!!!!

*drying off keyboard..laughing*

And FURTHERMORE, Missy! You have RUINED peas and carrots for me...FOR LIFE!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 7:20:37 PM PDT
I think the author removed it. It was pretty bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 7:25:19 PM PDT
peachbird76 says:
It certainly sounds like it Mahala.

I'm glad I made you laugh Winter.

Seems like things have been way too serious around here lately.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 7:37:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 3, 2012 10:56:11 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 7:42:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 1, 2012 12:42:05 AM PDT]
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  214
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jun 23, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions