Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Non-fluffy Regencies?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2012 2:30:29 AM PST
Catniss says:
I stopped reading Regencies a few years ago because the ones that I read were SO fluffy and I like angst.

But it occurred to me that maybe there are some that aren't so light and I just haven't come across anything like that.

Anyone know of good, angsty, dark Regencies?

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 3:04:10 AM PST
Sunshine says:
Have you read Claiming the Courtesan (Avon Romantic Treasures) by Anna Campbell? It's dark and angsty. The hero is madly in love with the heroine and obsessed with her. The heroine is his mistress, but as their contract comes to an end, she disappears... Some didn't like the book because at some point the hero forces himself upon the heroine. It's not a keeper, but it was still a pretty good book.

"The Duke of Kylemore knows her as Soraya, London's most celebrated courtesan. Men fight duels to spend an hour in her company. And only he comes close to taming her. Flying in the face of society, he decides to make her his bride; then, she vanishes, seemingly into thin air.
Dire circumstances have forced Verity Ashton to barter her innocence and change her name for the sake of her family. But Kylemore destroys her plans for a respectable life when he discovers her safe haven. He kidnaps her, sweeping her away to his hunting lodge in Scotland, where he vows to bend her to his will.
There he seduces her anew. Verity spends night after night with him in his bed . . . and though she still dreams of escape and independence, she knows she can never flee the unexpected, unwelcome love for the proud, powerful lover who claims her both body and soul."

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 4:17:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 4:18:58 AM PST
Lord Rose says:
The Rake by Mary Jo Putney- Hero is an alcoholic. (Most of her other books are not fluffy, either.)
Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale (1820s, so not quite Regency, but close enough)- H has a stroke and is put in an insane asylum by his family
Eileen Dreyer's Regencies

(I know I've read plenty, but it's late here and I really should be sleeping, so this is what I have off the top of my head.)

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 6:27:03 AM PST
A Customer says:
The Duke by Gaelen Foley - *Slight spoilers* but you'd find out within the first few chapters anyway...h is raped (NOT by H) and b/c she has now been ruined and cannot marry well she decides to become a courtesan as it's the only way she can support herself and get revenge. The H is a very proper duke and doesn't really want/need a mistress but he also wants revenge (for different reasons) so he takes h on as a mistress in name only. Ofcourse, they fall in love along the way, but this is a darker, more emotional regency romance.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 7:07:45 AM PST
tealadytoo says:
The Drake's Rakes series by Eileen Dreyer. Dang, those folks go through hell.
Barely a Lady (The Drake's Rakes series)
Never a Gentleman (The Drake's Rakes series)
Always a Temptress (The Drake's Rakes series)

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 10:27:07 PM PST
Austen Jane says:
I think certain authors are known for it. I tend to have to be in a mood for angst before I'll pick up a Gaelen Foley (the Duke or Lord of Fire) or Judith McNaught (try Something Wonderful, but her stuff can be very dark). Also, if you can stand a long book with lots of details and a paranormal aspect, Dianna Gabaldon has an amazing series that is far from fluffy (Outlander). Just avoid the fluffy authors and enjoy!

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 10:40:54 PM PST
Annie says:
Id like some angsty books as well.its been a week since i read a book because i cant find anything good. Help!

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 11:22:38 PM PST
read4fun says:
Anything by Laura Kinsale

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 2:06:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 2:51:01 AM PST
Pink tie says:
I am not certain it is exactly regency since i recall there is no year mentioned in these books, could be one period close. I can recommend Eve Silvers
His Dark Kiss
Dark Desires

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 4:15:01 AM PST
Lord Rose says:
Not all of Laura Kinsale's books are angsty- Midsummer Moon, for example, is actually quite silly.

All Through the Night by Connie Brockway is worth checking out.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 4:51:33 AM PST
read4fun says:
Lord Rose, I stand corrected... Mostly anything by her is angsty though :)

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 2:31:56 PM PST
J. Manfull says:
This is Mary Balogh's book page. If you scroll down, it gives a synopsis of each. MOST of her books are serious--not necessarily dark (although some are), but a sufficient amount of angst. For the ones that are not, the synopsis generally ends with "This book is a farce."

http://www.marybalogh.com/books.html

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 4:16:38 PM PST
A Customer says:
Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase is a classic and this hero is considered dark for the genre.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 8:05:25 PM PST
tealadytoo says:
Kathryn Lynn Davis has some fairly intense stories, though it's been awhile since I read them. Not sure if they were Regency or a bit later. My favorites were Too Deep for Tears and CHILD OF AWE.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:51:27 PM PST
Annie says:
Nah...its still a fluffy regency romance.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:52:21 PM PST
Annie says:
Meredith duran is def NOt fluffly anything by her is a thumbs up.m

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:17:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 9:18:08 PM PST
I also love the dark angsty stuff! No fluff for me! I enjoyed:

Someone to Watch Over Me (Bow Street, Book 1) - it's about a bow street runner and a courtesan he doesn't respect for much (in fact, detests) and she is put into his care and he decides with all certainty he'll take advantage of her. A favorite!

I also second The Duke - saw it was already suggested but I really enjoyed it. Also about a courtesan.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:26:36 PM PST
In Bed With the Devil (Avon Romantic Treasure) - about a fluffy vanilla heroine who approaches a dark lord in hopes that she can hire him for murder. I loved this one.

My Dangerous Duke - about a woman who is drugged and delivered to a lord (who is part of an elite group of assassins) as a virginal sacrifice... but turns out their families are deeply linked. She becomes his mistress.

Dreaming of You - about a writer who becomes enthralled with the rather crass owner of a gambling hall... some very dark and delicious scenes. A controversial scene where he sleeps with a doxy - calling her by the heroine's name. (Ok by me as he wasn't with the heroine yet.)

Stealing Midnight - same time period but carries a definite gothic feel - the daughter of a madman who autopsies cadavers rescues her father's soon to be victim and the two enjoy an adventure together.

Breathless (The House of Rohan) which features a truly hideous villain as the hero.

Dream Fever - very angsty drama with a super dark brooding hero. LOVE.

If you feel like stepping out of England even more... try (same era)

Sweet Fire (Lovegram) which has a lovely angsty complicated plot involving two competing best friends who would literally murder to get their prize.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:28:47 PM PST
Kathy says:
I second (or third) Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale. One of my favorites.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions