Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 1:14:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 3:37:23 PM PST
chele says:
Any thoughts about Colleen Hoover's new release Hopeless? So far it has 79 5-star ratings on amazon. Do you feel it is deserving? If including spoilers please notate that before spoiling for those of us avoiding them :)

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 1:25:08 PM PST
Lisa says:
chele: Hopeless IS that good...I really liked the writing, the humor, the banter and it's not fluff because it got really INTENSE in the second half because the mystery starts to come to light and it's a doozy. I would not want to spoil the plot line because it would ruin the story. Just know there is no cheating; Holder is possesive and protective. Colleen Hoover wrote a FANTASTIC story.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 3:40:08 PM PST
chele says:
Thanks Lisa. I will be sure to stay clear of spoilers. I'm looking forward to reading this.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:24:12 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:16:51 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:29:25 PM PST
Lisa says:
Please visit the borrowing thread: http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/ref=cm_cd_et_jump?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdPage=331&cdThread=Tx220FHT9SZN254#CustomerDiscussionsLPIT

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:35:59 PM PST
K. Knott says:
Thanks, I haven't had luck there so I figured I'd try here. Sorry if any rules were broken by asking here!

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 11:51:26 PM PST
I just finished Hopeless a few hours ago...yes, it is a 5 star read! I too suggest avoiding spoilers. I thought I had an idea about where it was heading, but it went in a completely different direction and I did not see it coming, at all! Highly recommend.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 3:50:26 AM PST
Mercered says:
I've had that on my TBR pile, but was waiting to see if there was any cheating. I'm glad that there's not. I loved her Slammed series so I'm diving into this one tomorrow!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 7:28:47 AM PST
read4fun says:
Can somebody tell me if the h was raped or only molested? Both bad, but I don't like reading about rape(even if it happened in the past). Thanks!!!!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:03:24 PM PST
wondercat says:
If you really want to know******SPOILERS. BIG ONES****************The h was repeatedly raped by her father from age late 3 to 5. I don't want to spoil too much but it's the reason she was no longer living with him and was "adopted." For uncomfortable as this topic obviously is, I thought the author did a good job with it and there aren't any specifics thankfully.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:13:38 PM PST
Vasso says:
A couple questions I need to ask. So I just downloaded Hopeless, I also have Slammed and Point of Retreat in my TBR pile. Do I need to read the first two before reading Hopeless? Also, is Hopeless a completed book or will I have to wait for another to come out before being satisifed with a HEA?

Thanks in advance!!!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:25:09 PM PST
read4fun says:
Thanks for the spoilers!!!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:30:54 PM PST
wondercat says:
Hopeless is a stand alone so you don't need to read the others first. They're not related at all. It did have a HEA I was satisfied with, but it doesn't go too far into the future so I guess she could write a sequal. It wouldn't be necessary, though. It was an angsty book for sure but also funny and sweet. I think because everyone got the answers they needed to move forward, the book totally worked for me.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:42:53 PM PST
Vasso says:
@wondercat....thank you! I might read it first before the others!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 1:05:15 PM PST
Amyalissa says:
Slammed and Point of Retreat were ok but Hopeless was by far my favorite.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 9:05:22 AM PST
Vasso says:
So I'm halfway through Hopeless and I'm a bit disappointed. It's really not grabbing me like other stories have and I had high hopes for it. Not that I'm not liking it, I am but it's just that I'm not racing back to it when I set it down. I see a lot of similiarities in other stories that annoy me like the h constantly "running" all the time. The "baking" as well. I will finish the story and I'm hoping that it will start to pick up because she is finally piecing her past together.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 9:10:01 AM PST
Sherylb says:
I think this is a good example of a book that takes time to all make sense. There are a lot of pieces to the story it doesn't really all come together until later in the book. Definitely worth it for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 11:28:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 12:19:03 PM PST
wondercat says:
Sherylb - I totally agree. I didn't realize how much I liked this book until close to the end when every little thing that was mentioned earlier in the book (even stuff as little as her not liking receiving presents) makes sense. Hopefully it starts to pick up for you, Vasso, but I have quite a few goodreads friends who didn't love it.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 12:05:42 PM PST
Sherylb says:
wondercat, thanks. I never reread books but I think I might read this one again if only to pick up on things throughout the book that I might have missed before.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 12:53:11 PM PST
Vasso says:
@ wondercat @ Sherylb....so I finished it and honestly? I'm not sure what I think about it. I'm not even sure that I would classify it as a romance. Towards the end the book it turned emotionally heavy, I cried and I do like crying in stories but for good reasons, not the reasons in this story. This story was just full of emotional drama and heartache. Wow! I really did like her writing style though, I'll give her props for that but I think that I wouldn't like to read a story like this again. Way too deep for me. I prefer a more lighthearted read.

I did like it, but did I love it? No and I wouldn't read it again. This is not a story that I will push friends to read. Right now I feel emotionally drained and not in a good way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 1:24:01 PM PST
wondercat says:
Vasso, I definitely get where you're coming from. I don't think I'll reread it either, just because it was so emotional and I don't need to put myself through that again. This author seems to be a "right book, right time" kinda thing for me. I've read all 3 (I don't think she has more?) and everytime I have it's after I've gone through a lot of light contemporary romances and I wanted something more emotional. I like the author's writing style too, but I had this on my kindle awhile before I read it because I knew I needed to be in the right mood for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 1:27:31 PM PST
chele says:
Vasso-I feel the same as you do. I admire the author and like her writing style. I loved Slammed and Point of Retreat. Sadly though, I had a difficult time getting into this book and struggled to finish it. I didn't enjoy the story but I must say the hero was very sweet.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 1:49:14 PM PST
Vasso says:
@wondercat @ chele.....I guess for me, I was not expecting this story to be that heavy. I don't mind spoilers and I knew there was a bit of child abuse but toss in everything else and to me, it was too much. If I knew now before I downloaded it, I wouldn't have. It's not my kind of story. There is another series of a set of books....Breathing is in their name and I read some spoilers about those and I won't read them either.

I read to escape reality, not to experience it first hand. The author did do a great job with the story and it doesn't surprise me that it's getting excellent reviews. But those reviews come from people who enjoy this kind of story, me....I don't.

Now I need to find something really lighthearted and dirty to get me back into my "romance" mood. I might have to find a KA to get me out of this funk! LOL!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 2:20:06 PM PST
chele says:
Vasso-I love KA! I took a 6 month break from her books and got into the YA/NA genre. It is time for a reread of my favorite KA books! You gave me a needed reminder :)

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 2:35:34 PM PST
wondercat says:
I really want a new KA book, too. I wish I hadn't read them all so quickly so I could read a new one now.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
105 Jun 10, 2014
Looking for: historical romance - heroine becomes depressed,and nearly starves 0 3 minutes ago
BBA (a.k.a Books Are Not Babies) 2868 10 minutes ago
Loan Me Thread V. 6 1604 13 minutes ago
Looking for good love triangles 40 28 minutes ago
*** Coffee Shop - Let's Chat About Life And Our Books, Both Current And Planning To Read, All In The Name Of Living HEA *** 7374 39 minutes ago
Biker Books Lending 212 1 hour ago
Silhouette Desire - To quote "Touch And Go" - Lets go straight to No.1 892 1 hour ago
Hilarious mistakes in (mostly self-published) books 6947 1 hour ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 1268 1 hour ago
Hero forces heroine to marry him. 39 1 hour ago
Cop or Firefighter - 2 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions