Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Just finished Heart on a Chain

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 145 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2011 2:30:06 PM PDT
MBAButterfly says:
Oh my gosh, I have never read a sweeter H in my entire life. After reading so much angst in my books lately, it was very refreshing to read about such a honorable and lovable H for once! It was a nice break from what I have been reading lately. It also had some of the worse child abuse I have ever read about in a book, but it was still really good.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 2:46:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012 2:31:30 PM PDT
Adnana says:
I agree, Henry was a real sweetheart. I especially loved how -- from the very beginning -- he protected Kate and wouldn't let her be mistreated by anyone. How he was always quick to defend her, and was never a jerk to her (which is kind of rare in the books I usually read these days -- i.e. in romance and romantic YA novels).
I found the story very touching and the writing itself, while not perfectly polished, seemed heartfelt. This book is one of only three indie books I truly enjoyed and can recommend (but then again, as leery as I am of indie books, I don't exactly read/finish a lot of them). Is this book as well written as, let's say, Sarah Dessen's "The Truth About Forever" or "Leaving Paradise" by Simone Elkeles? Imo, no. Is it, however, a good book, one worth reading? Imho, definitely yes.

ETA: MBAButterfly, I hope you won't get slammed for opening a thread about a little-known indie book.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 4:03:04 PM PDT
Purse Monkey says:
Eek...child abuse. That is my hot button for non reads. I was tempted to try this but I can't read long, drawn out scenes of child abuse. It haunts me. Now I'm sad to see that it features a good hero that I would never read.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 6:34:16 PM PDT
MBAButterfly says:
Purse Monkey - The scenes aren't long, but there are 2 scenes where the mom beats up the h. It was a really good book imo.

Adnana - why would I get slammed for opening a thread about an indy book? I'm not the author or someone who knows the author or anything.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 7:10:23 PM PDT
B.E. Love says:
Loved this book worth reading and a definite reread for me.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 8:26:21 PM PDT
who's it by?

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 8:31:36 PM PDT
Reviewer Aus says:
This is the YA book by this title?

Hmm, sounds interesting, but I don't really like YA. But hey it's cheap, so I might give it a go.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 10:16:49 PM PDT
Ashley says:
Heart on a Chain by Cindy C. Bennett-- The book is a YA so it doesn't go deep into the abuse as a Adult book might go. It was a very good story.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 11:25:30 PM PDT
This book absolutely broke my heart. I cried almost from beginning to end. The things the main character had to go through were almost too much for me. I need to read something lighthearted to bring me back from this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 2:29:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2011 9:04:34 AM PDT
Adnana says:
MBAButterfly,
I know you're not the author or a shill, and also, I don't have anything against indie books (though I usually avoid them on the principle that there are more than enough professionally-published books in my huge TBR-pile, so why take chances with self-published books in which I can't rely on an inbuilt quality control?).
What I was trying to say was that, from past experience, it can get a bit awkward on these forums when opening an exclusive thread about an indie book (remember the whole debacle with "Eyes of Silver, eyes of Gold"?). The readers of this forum have already been burned many times when it comes to indie books (and especially the promotion thereof), so I, personally always hesitate when it comes to bringing up/recommeding indie books (and yes, I know that isn't exactly fair :), but there you have it).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 5:05:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2011 5:06:23 AM PDT
Beeg Panda says:
T. Hartsfield - I felt EXACTLY the same! I cried intermittently for the 4 hours it took me to read this book. If it wasnt for the H and his absolute devotion to h, I wouldnt have been able to finish it.
I followed it up with Breathe which was very tame. My only problem with reading tame after this kind of angst is that I compare the tame H to the angst H! NOt good....

MBAButterfly - How does one know if a book is Indie? Im not clued up with the whole Indie thing so Im going to Google it. But can you let me know why its not good to chat re Indie books here, how is it different to chatting about other books and does it affect Amazon in any way? Im trying to undertand why, apart from the lack of possible quality control, as someone else mentioned. Now im a bit wary of mentioning a book if Im not sure its Indie or not.
Oh yes and whats a "shill"

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 5:10:33 AM PDT
gbaby says:
I just finished this book as well, after seeing it recommended in the "Effortless" thread. Henry was such a doll and so good to Kate. Parts of this book are tough to read. At times, I was like "how much more can this poor girl take"? My only criticism is that certain parts were resolved almost too quickly. Overall, I enjoyed it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 6:45:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2011 6:56:28 AM PDT
Adnana says:
Beeg Panda,
I'm not MBAButterfly, but until she answers your questions, I'll try to provide my own answers.

An indie book is another name for a self-published book. The original book manuscript hasn't been accepted, revised and given the okay for publication by a professional editor of a major publishing house. In most cases, it hasn't gone through the hands of an editor at all, much less through those of a proof-editor. So, when you buy an indie book you take the risk of finding a poorly written story, riddled with inconsistencies and grammatical errors. I'm sorry to say, but such was my experience with most of the indie books that I started reading. Even if the book's idea itself is brilliant, if the writing is really bad/unprofessional, I still can't enjoy/finish the book.

The first clue that a book is self-published is usually the cover, which most of the time looks very amateurish and is obviously not the work of a professional cover artist. Compare, for example, the cover of Heart on a Chain with that of Starcrossed or Die for Me (Revenants). They look quite different, don't they?
Then the surefire way: on the book's page, you scroll to the section "Product Details" and look at the publisher. CreateSpace (the publisher in the case of "Heart on a Chain") is a member company of amazon, used by most authors who self-publish, offering their books in the kindle format on amazon.

"CreateSpace: Self-Publish and Distribute Your Books, Video and Music on Demand
CreateSpace, a member of the Amazon group of companies, provides one of the easiest, fastest, and most economical ways to distribute your content to millions of potential customers on Amazon.com and other channels.
Media formats supported through CreateSpace include books, DVDs, CDs, video downloads, and Amazon MP3s.
With the CreateSpace manufacturing-on-demand model, your products will be produced as customers order, so you don't have to make an up-front investment in inventory. Plus, CreateSpace takes care of the customer service and order fulfillment on your online retail orders, so you can focus on promoting your titles."

Or, under publisher you could see the author's name. Traditional publishers, by contrast, are: Pocket Star, Berkley, Harlequin/HQN Books.

A shill is a person who is a friend/relative of the author's and who participates in customer discussions (for example, here on these amazon forums) with the only purpose of recommeding their friend's book, while claiming that they are actually an objective reader who simply read and loved that book. It's like playing a scam on unsuspecting people, which is why this practice is abhorred by the regular posters here.

For the honest poster, of course it should make no difference if she's talking about having enjoyed a self-published or a traditionally published book. We like what we like and we should be free to talk about it, right? The problem is that this forum had not so long ago been overrun by shills, and indie authors popping in on the threads with the sole purpose of self-promoting their books. Again, only indie authors felt the need to do that, not already established/ traditionally published ones. So the people on this forum grew sick and tired of all this and (with good cause) became quite hostile towards shills and indie authors who were only here in order to sell their books. But please, that doesn't mean that you somehow have to watch your words or your likes here. Honesty should never be a problem, and you're among fellow readers and friends :).

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 7:15:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2011 7:19:32 AM PDT
Beeg Panda says:
MBAButterfly - ROCK AND A HARD PLACE BY ANGIE STANTON reminds me alot of HoaC - cried myself silly for this one too! Same issues: abuse and the SWEETEST hero - he lovers her like mad, in some places reminded me (a leeetle bit) of Travis and Kellan.

Hey Adnana -
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!!!! Ive learnt alot in these dicussions - been with Amazon for long now but only recently partaking in discussions

I realise Im a selfish reader: Ive never bothered to find out anything about the world of publishing cos Ive been too wrapped up in reading, you know? If I find a book that seems interesting, I check the review and get spoilers and thats it. I follow my favourite authors' releases and then find books with the same theme or authors who write similar. Until now I hadnt even thought about publishers etc.

Im relieved that Amazon is affiliated to the indie publishers, cos heck I'd hate to be talking about books here that they dont want to have anything to do with, you know?

Im aghast that people can be so underhand as to do the shill thing - I joined these discussions cos I want true spoilers and I spend alot of time reading up about a book before I invest time and money in it and I'd hate to read a book based on a friend of the authors' referal! Eww - who has TIME for that crap? So I can see how readers can be put off by these authors.

LOL @ covers! Yes, these terribly cheap covers can be offputting - readers DO judge a book by it cover - theres no getting away from that - wish the powers that be would catch on to that fact. Thats one of the reasons why I get spoilers before I read a book. Regarding editing - another gripe I have - especially the inconsistencies you also mentioned - and you know Ive found it in books by Mills and Boon and Harlequin also - I think they mass edit LOL!!!!!

Thanks again for explaining and making me feel comfortable about expressing myself here : )

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 4:53:12 AM PST
Beeg Panda says:
I have to, have to, mentioned this one Ive just finished:

Almost - its a YA which I really enjoyed despite the touchy subject of a "near-rape". The H is adorable. He gives up sooooo much to be with the h. Love her to bits and just about does everything he can for her. He just wants to be with her no matter what.I thoroughly enjoyed it. I couldnt stop reading cos I really wanted to know how it ended.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 5:19:49 AM PST
Mercered says:
This book has been on my TBR pile for EVER!!! I just have to be in the mood to read it, like If I Stay. I just have to be in the mood to be sad....if that makes sense. I so cried over that one....off topic: I'm going to see the rerelease of Titanic this month and I have to gear myself up b/c I'm going to so cry at the theater, like I did the first time I saw it. I'm going to read it this weekend, everyone just keeps telling me how good it is.

Adana: What were the other two books by indie authors that you enjoyed?

Beeg: quit adding more books to my assignments :) I just added Almost to my TBR pile. I just read ROCK AND A HARD PLACE BY ANGIE STANTON, loved that one!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 6:41:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2012 6:56:32 AM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Merc - "Almost" isnt like sad for the duration of the book. It held me on tenderhooks more cos it was angsty in its own way, theres always this feeling of anticipation...waiting....The h is vulnerable yes, and tries to cover it up with snarkiness. The H - he's a darling and gorgeous to boot. Its a cute book but great emotion.

But you want SAD? (the cover pic in amazon isnt my cuppa tea at all - I prefer the one in her blog: http://www.laceyweatherfordbooks.com/2012/02/now-available-chasing-nikki.html)
Chasing Nikki - OH. MY. GAWD. I cried snot and tears for this one. I read it the day before yest and Im STILL hiccupping. I didnt get ANY spoilers beforehand, which so isnt me, but I loved the summary so much, I thought: "how can this go wrong? whats not to like?" em..well...I loved it - but day-am!!!!!!!!!!!!!it took me by surprise. Ive never WILLING read a book that ends like this. In fact, Ive NEVER read a book that ends like this. I was totally totally blindsided.

At the very climax of the book - I was like: "huh? wtfh? what happend here? Let me re-read this part cos this did NOT just happen!!!!" .....The H is a bad boy extraordinaire - Im taking like BAD BAD BADA$$ BAD - like if he ever comes near my daughter, my hubby would probably have him eliminated lol....but goodness I love him, what a tormented gorgeous male. The heroine - I dont have words....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 6:58:27 AM PST
Mercered says:
Beeg: I cannot believe you!!! You're adding another book to my list!!! lol...okay you have to tell me, is there a HEA?? That's all I need to know...hmmmm...asking myself if I need to know if there's any cheating?.....I just read that Lynda Chance had a new book out Staking His Claim, so that is #1 on my tbr pile. I did have a couple of new projects that I saw on Pinterest that I wanted to do this weekend buttttttt....I'm going to have to squeeze 3 more books into my schedule now...lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 7:11:27 AM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Merc - theres no cheating. (and wtw is Pinterest?)
Ive been trying to read "normal un-angsty" books to take a break from all the stress of fanfic lol but itsn to be, I see.

I dont think I should go into detail re Chasing Nikki cos itll spoil it for u - really spoil it, I mean. (if u REALLY wanna know Id tell you of course but.....) oh im gonna read lynda chances now then!!!wait...if there's no cheating.....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 7:59:05 AM PST
Jmv_17 says:
Beeg Panda: Is there a HEA in Almost? Looked at the reviews, and I couldn't believe that all but 1 are 5*. I usually don't read YA (as I like steam in my romance), but it sounds really good!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 8:05:17 AM PST
Mercered says:
Beeg: That's what I was trying to do too...the angst stuff had my heart going and my blood pressure high :) A couple of the fanfic books were good for keeping the angst down...then I read Three Wishes...loved it but got me hooked back up with my friend Angst!

oml...pinterest has become another addiction. It's hard to discribe but it's a bunch boards, that people "pin" stuff on and you get different ideas from the "boards"...like crafts, decorating, recipes, fashion, books, etc...it's everything. That's how I got the idea to make my new craft table, that sucker is HUGE and I can spread out. Now I have to start actually crafting..lol. Take a look at it and I can send you an invite if you like. It takes forever to get an invite if you request it from the site.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 8:08:49 AM PST
Jmv_17 says:
@Mercered: pinterest sounds AWESOME!! If I take a look around and decide to join, can I get an invite from you as well?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 8:10:43 AM PST
Mercered says:
Jeanne: Of course but only if you promise not to blame me when you become addicted :-) My next project...turning a lotion bottle into a cell phone holder while it charges...yup, that's right, while it charges...LOL.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 8:16:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 7:41:54 AM PDT
Jmv_17 says:
@Mercered: OMG...the site looks amazing!! Do you just need my email for the invite?

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 8:18:27 AM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Jeanne - I cant say anything more about this book without messing it up entirely for u...i promise...its gonna take the umph out of it if I do. I If you REALLY wanna know I can email you - do I have your add already?

Merc - I googled pininterest right after your post LOL - I think id like an invite yes, thanks:) :) :) Three wishes? im gonna check it out too...sucker that i am.....
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
4 16 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
114 2 days ago
"The List" that was spawned by the popular Don't Shoot Me Thread 7844 1 minute ago
BBA (a.k.a Books Are Not Babies) 8716 2 minutes ago
Trying to recall title of historical romance. H (Austrian or French?) has a scar and a limp, forces h (English) to marry him at an inn somewhere in Germany/France/Austria. 13 5 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #4 1430 7 minutes ago
2015 Tackling the To-Read 31 37 minutes ago
Fans of k-dramas... please help 4281 42 minutes ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 2187 44 minutes ago
2015 Favorite Book of the Month and Year Challenge 94 53 minutes ago
Pride & Prejudice Theme? 5 1 hour ago
HP discussion. Good bad and inbetween. 9672 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  145
Initial post:  Oct 7, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions