Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Fanfiction

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 11, 2012 1:53:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2012 1:54:02 PM PST
Bitchie says:
I've seen people talking about fanfic in a lot of places, so I thought I'd give us one place to discuss our faves and least favorites, stories and authors, and where to find it, maybe make some trades.

I'd also like for people to list books/stories that started out as fanfic but have since been published as real books.

Personally, I am new to the world of fanfic. I've always known it was out there, but I prefer my own vision of characters to remain pure and clean, so I don't read a lot of fanfic. However, a lot of my favorite books recently started out as fanfic, so I'm rethinking my stance on the whole thing.

List of what I knew started out as Fanfic:
[
Fifty Shades of Grey most of us know by now this started out as Twilight Fanfic, although I didn't see Bella and Edward anywhere in these stories. Just little glimpses here and there a light would shine and remind me of something.

Poughkeepsie I've heard this started as twific as well. In this one, the male lead, the"Edward" is a homeless guy who is terrified of the sun, and thinks he disappears in sunlight. I haven't gotten to the meat of why he feels this way yet, but I'm enjoying the read.

Sempre (Forever) Another Twilight Fic, I haven't read this yet, but it's on the TBR.

The Forbidden Room I was shocked to learn that this, too started out as twific, not sure if it's true or not. I also think this author's Little Boy Lost series got it's start as fanfic.

My Blood Approves now the author claims this ISN'T Twific, but I challenge anyone to read this and not see Twilight stamped ALL over it. It wasn't a bad read (I didn't love it either) but this had more of a Twilight feel to it than ANY of the books I mentioned earlier, which we KNOW started out as Twific.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 2:36:54 PM PST
Carrie says:
I'm glad you started this thread. I'm not a big fan of fanfics in general but I've def started to see there actually are some good authors getting their start on that platform.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 2:41:52 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Gabriel's Inferno started as fanific, but I'll be darned if I can remember from what. It's not something I've read...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 2:48:03 PM PST
Bitchie says:
Oh that one's on my TBR too! I knew it was fanfic, but I can't remember what it started out as either. Anybody know?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 2:48:12 PM PST
Carrie says:
Gabriel's Inferno made me SO mad. I don't think I've been that irritated at a book in a long time.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 2:53:34 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Oh! I know of another one that's really annoying me that I can't remember the name. I saw it today. It's erotica (menage, I think), and a reviewer had blasted the author for copyright infringement (I think the review was from 2010), and the author calmly responded that despite the fact that it had started as fanfic, she had written it from scratch, and it WAS legal and copyrighted for her. Dang! I'm trying to find it!

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 2:58:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2012 9:33:35 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Ah...found it. Thank goodness Amazon tracks browsing histories...

The Forbidden Room. Have NOT read it, but I'm guessing it was Twific, and is bi-Edward, and/or bi-Jacob, and true BDSM involved.

ETA - just realized that it was posted in the OP...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 3:00:13 PM PST
Bitchie says:
Yep that's Twific. I haven't read it, but it's on my TBR, was on there long before I knew it was twific. The only thing holding me back on that one is I think it's m/m/f, and I prefer no girlie bits in my m/m reads, lol.

C Watley, what made you so mad about Gabriel's Inferno?

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 4:59:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2012 5:00:46 PM PST
Shannon C. says:
Good idea! I went through a phase when I read several fanfics after a friend recommended some to me. Here are my notes in case it helps anyone:

Clipped Wings & Inked Armor by hunterhunting (AKA "Tattward") 4 stars - adult characters, lots of angst/drama, great romantic tension/relationship development, very hot, good follow up short "The Proposal", could use editing but overall entertaining

Master of the Universe (AKA "Fifty Shades") 4 stars - adult characters, hero is successful business man (alpha!) w/ tortured past, heroine is just out of college, great romantic tenstion/relationship development, some angst, very hot w/Dom/Sub theme (not heavy BDSM) <<This was recently reproduced as the popular Fifty Shades books>>

The Blessing and the Curse 3.5 stars - adult characters, paranormal elements (pyschic abilities), heartwrenching and emotional, well written....where I knock back stars is the cheating/lying on the part of the heroine. I don't like that in stories.

The Office 3.5 stars - adult characters in an office setting, starts out reading like an Ellorah's Cave erotic romance (ie, a lot of hot sex without much relationship development) but by midway through the author built a strong emotional connection that resulted in a nice love story

The Misapprehension of Bella Swan - 3.5 stars...humorous romance, likable well developed adult characters--Bella is especially quirky/funny, hero is a pro hockey player, heroine is in college and sister of one of his teammates, some hot/spicy scenes

Edward Wallbanger - 3 stars adult characters, funny & sweet romance, liked the characters, not as hot as some of the others--would have liked more spicy scenes

Wide Awake 3 stars - teens are main characters set in high school, they have traumatic backgrounds, story was slow in parts and the angst was overdone, was not attracted to the lead guy (I know others really like this story a lot, so it may appeal to you if you like angsty teen romance)

With Teeth 2.5 stars - adult characters, lots of angst, pretty well written but didn't find the lead guy appealing (alcoholic/drug addict--he was a jerk)

Emancipation Proclimation 2.5 stars - teen characters, mob/slavery theme, draining/lots of angst, didn't find the hero appealing

Permantently Etched 2.5 stars - adults set in office setting, short story...not much to this one but entertaining little read

These use the Twilight characters names/descriptions but the authors created original storylines, not related to the Twilight books. You do not need to have read Twilight (or even like it) to read these fan fics. You should be able to find these via web searches unless they've been edited and released as books.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 5:03:41 PM PST
Lisa says:
University of Edward Masen was the fan fic title of Gabriel's Inferno.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 5:55:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2012 5:57:07 PM PST
Carrie says:
The book started out blazing... the H was a total alpha hole and the h wasn't totally unlikeable. The mystery of their involvement was unraveling and the book is chugging toward a blindingly hot confrontation and..... the author slams on the brakes... throws in random whiny conflict, alpha hole does a 180 into sensitive beta, writes the lamest sex scene and leaves a "who really cares anyway" cliffhanger. The last 1/3 of the book made me feel like I was reading a different book.

It felt to me like she killed and butchered her story so she could have a sequel. Like she started out baking a decadent triple chocolate cake and pulled a gluten free/sugar free white cake out of the oven.

edited to add: And um... that's how I really feel about that....

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 7:55:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2012 8:03:38 PM PST
Nancy Lee says:
One reviewer on Amazoncom said The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker must have started out as a Snape fanfic, and I think they may be right, because the hero so strongly resembles Alan Rickman as Severus Snape, velvet voice, swirling black cape, and all. (But if that's true the story sure took off in different directions from Harry Potter!)

I was so hooked by the teacher-student relationship in Strangely Beautiful, I started looking for other Snape fanfic on the internet -- of which there is a TON -- my favorites are "The Diary of A Nobody" by Hannah-1888, which is hilariously snarky, the soon-to-be-finished novel "Pet Project" by Caeria, and pretty much anything by "cathedral carver" but especially "It's Elemental, My Dear Snape" which is very lyrical and beautiful. All pair Snape with Hermione Grainger but they don't get together until she's of age.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 8:07:52 PM PST
MBAButterfly says:
S. Cook: I am currently reading Clipped Wings right now. Is the Proposal at the end or is it a different story I have to find?

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 11:59:15 PM PST
Zero at the Bone by Jane Seville is Brokeback Mountain movie fanfiction. She didn't even change the title or the character names to publish it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 4:58:06 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
What book/s was it based on, though? Twilight? Dante's Inferno? Someone said it was NOT Twific.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 6:38:56 AM PST
Shannon C. says:
MBAButterfly,
It's a short story the author did afterwards.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 8:33:33 AM PST
Lisa says:
As far as I can see, the fanfic uses the names of characters from Twilight. In my opinion, Gabriel's Inferno in no way resembles Twilight. I was curious when i read sonewhere it was a fanfic. Doesn't fan fic mean someone writing a fiction using well known character names in either a new storyline or continuation? Anyway, I have it...anybody want it?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 12:18:45 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
I'd forgotten - Masen was Edwards original last name before Carlisle, wasn't it? No wonder I couldn't connect it with Twilight.

Anyway...I was pretty happy to discover that I could send the pdf fanfics to my Kindle (Water - HP fanfic, and Clipped Wings & Inked Armor - Twific). I haven't seen a charge come through, yet, but it'd be worth it. I know that I should be able to convert using Calibre, but I'm lost when it comes to that stuff, so the pdfs work just fine for me.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 1:40:34 PM PST
coffeebean says:
I had no idea that some of these stories started as fanfictions! Thats really interesting, actually. I have loved fanfictions over the years in many fandoms and there is some wonderful stuff thrown in with mostly mediocre stuff. There seems to be quite a few Twilight based fanfictions. I really never got into the fandom, but some of these proved to be pretty good reads (loved The Misapprehension of Bella Swan). Here are some other good ones...

Lust or Love by Sarinileni (http://fanfiction.portkey.org/profile/4111): This is a Harry Potter James/Lily fanfic that is excellent. It reads like a book and while I was never interested in the pairing, this story is so well written that it is worth it. It is about Lily and James' relationship at Hogwarts and is quite angsty, but not overly so. Interesting and original plot for sure.

The Fallout by everythursday (http://dramione.org/toplists.php?list=favstories): Another Harry Potter fandom fic, Draco/Hermione specifically. Also reads like a novel and is all about the redemption of Draco Malfoy. It actually makes you sympathetic to his character and includes a beautiful/HOT romance between Hermione and him.

I wouldn't recommend this here if they weren't top notch. Any other suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 1:49:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2012 1:50:23 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Coffeebean, the HP fanfic you're talking about is Water, isn't it?

I finally got Calibre downloaded and was able to convert the pdfs to mobi for kindle and send them directly to my Kindle.

I highly recommend that anyone who wants to be able to read these downloaded fanfics to the same. The difference in readability is amazing.

(I'm a nerd, I know)

eta - Coffeebean - I just realized that The Fallout was the title to your Hermione/Draco story. Sorry...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 1:54:44 PM PST
Lisa says:
Yes, he was Edward Masen before he was changed.

Check your email... :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 2:01:30 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Oh! Thanks!

It'll take me a bit to read (I'm so far behind right now due to getting set up on GR), but I'll get there. :)

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 2:24:15 PM PST
coffeebean says:
Leonard, I was talking about The Fallout, but now I am curious. What's Water? Is that another good fanfic?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 2:29:18 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
I haven't actually read it yet, but it is apparently about a very intense sexual relationship between Draco and Hermione. If you want it, I can email it to you.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 5:19:19 PM PST
MBAButterfly says:
S. Cook: Do you have a copy of The Proposal that you could send me?

Coffeebean: Do you have Love or Lust you could send me? The link you have up only lets you see the story by chapters and I would like to send it to my kindle. It is completed, correct?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  272
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 11, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 50 customers

Search Customer Discussions