Showing 1-25 of 231 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 7:23:31 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 8, 2014 8:44:06 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:30:16 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
+ infinity.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:36:21 AM PST
Jean says:
I just got suckered this way myself and I was NOT happy. Seriously, Book 1 was only about 200 pages and it could have easily been finished up satisfactorily in another 7 or 8 chapters. But no, let's stop the book and make the reader wait 4 months for "Part 2". Ugh.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 8:07:26 AM PST
Amyalissa says:
Thank you! I completely agree and I'm with you on Fifty Shades. I read 1 and 2 back to back but 3 hadn't come out yet. When it finally did, it took me a good 6 months or so before I even read it. By that time, I didn't like it because while going back and reading 1 and 2, I couldn't remember why I was so absorbed by the story in the first place. So, in the end, I just didn't feel much of anything.

Another thing I've run into recently are completely unnecessary sequals. Authors are taking books that I feel have a HEA and giving them new stories full of drama. By doing this, they are ruining the first book and making me not like the characters anymore. I would be much happier if they would give me new characters...I know they want to expand the story but I would rather continue liking the characters the first time around. Take the new drama filled story and give it to another character. But maybe that's just me...

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 8:20:30 AM PST
awaltr says:
@darkpleasure, you speak straight truth. It's insane! I'm looking for part two of book "x", part three of book "y", while starting book "z", to then find out it will have a part two as well. It's EXHAUSTING!!

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 8:28:59 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
Also, to add to the installment plan list: Your characters are set in the 1st two books for the H/h and then along comes the third book and the characters have been changed drastically to leave you with a nightmare ending! The whole series is shot to H*** with the last book. Do the authors wake up one day with a new personality and write it in their books as well??????? I have to have all books out and then I will check for spoilers for gross injustice for the series if I am really interested. No more buy and find out there is another one to follow. My time is worth more than that!

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 8:35:25 AM PST
Mercered says:
I'm with you all! I STILL haven't read the 3d Fifty book b/c frankly I forgot what happened in the 2nd one and don't feel like reading the first two. Another one that's really getting to me is the chapter by chapter release...omg! $.99 for the first "book" or can I say it...chapter?! Then you want me to pay $1.99-$2.99 for another chapter so when I"m done reading I've probably spent like $25 for an ebook? What are these authors/publishing houses thinking?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:50:19 AM PST
Bitchie says:
They are thinking "gee how can we gouge readers for just that much more money?"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:59:06 AM PST
Melanie says:
YES, YES and YES!!!

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:14:41 AM PST
L. Burns says:
I won't knowingly buy one of these. To me it's like the author is saying "Here ya go, pay me for my unfinished story". Not gonna do it. What's next - you finish a book only to find out you'll need to pay an extra $2.00 to get the last chapter?

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:48:29 AM PST
I would hypothesize that if people didn't buy them publishers wouldn't offer them...obviously ppl are buying them...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:59:30 AM PST
Jean says:
True...but when I've done it, I didn't realize I was doing it. Now I pay closer attention to reviews.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:02:25 PM PST
Amyalissa says:
If I see that a book is the beginning of a series, I try to hold off until I know that the entire series has been completed.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:22:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 5:44:48 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
IMMHO, these are not "serial" books, they are chapters offered for review or something. The "author" (to horribly damage that word!) is just dumping keystrokes - not writing a book.

People buy these things because: 1) They don't bother to check out the number of pages in the "book"; 2) They don't bother to read the critical reviews - they are swayed by the high reviews no doubt posted by sock puppets and such; 3) They see a "cheap" price and think they are gettin' a "deal"; and, last but not least, 4) They don't care enough or know enough about books to understand that they are enabling such ridiculous behavior. I'm votin' that #4 is the largest of these segments.

Not one of the "books" I've checked out in this kind of offering deserves to be even available for reading - none of them. Put all the "serials" together and you just get a longer bad "book."

Oh, well. There is one benefit: Helps me keep my TBR pile free of such trash because I am NOT one of those purchasers in any of those categories.

DL

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:49:42 PM PST
ambrosia says:
I distinguish books that are legitimately part of an urban fantasy/action series that has some point other than being a straight romance promising a happily ever after.  These have world building and action story-lines and complexity that merit additional books.   Most importantly, they are not straight romances promising an HEA.  Moreover, while each book may possibly end on a cliffhanger, the installments generally are a well-rounded story arcs not solely based on sex and artificial angst/separation.  I put books like the Kate Daniels, Ilona Andrews, Cat and Bones, and the Fever series in this category.

But maybe it's time to start a list of installment plan books for everyone so that we don't have to keep hunting them down before we buy these books especially because the authors do a bait-and-switch and gouge readers for subsequent installments.  At least some authors have the courtesy to clearly mark the installments as the first book . . .   Some do not even do that.

(CURRENT - not completed) INSTALLMENT SERIES

This Man (This Man Trilogy Book 1)
In Flight (Up in the Air Book 1)
Naked (The Blackstone Affair, Part 1)
Chasing Beautiful (Chasing Series #1)
Fade into You
Bared to You (Crossfire, Book 1)

More?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:51:53 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
More? Oh yes.

Lisa Renee Jones - If I Were You

Dang, let me think. That one jumped into my head because I bought and read it and it had the STOOPID freaking cliffhanger!

BRB. Maybe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:52:17 PM PST
ambrosia says:
By the way, the author of This Man suggests on her Facebook page that there might be FOUR books!!!!

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:54:22 PM PST
atiptoes says:
I think White Trash Beautiful falls under this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:10:31 PM PST
is bared to you a true installment novel - because the print version is 300+ pages - that would fall into the realm of standard novel length for me...the ones I am thinking of are like, the ones from Siren that are like 70-100 pages

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:13:20 PM PST
Bitchie says:
Doesn't her Honor Student series also kinda fall under this?

I don't mind SERIES, but I want an entire contained story in each book. I dealt with it with the Fever series because it was so well done, but on the whole, I prefer stories that end with each book, and a new tale gets told in the next one. An umbrella story that goes throughout the series is fine, such as in the Psy-Changeling series.

But I do NOT like this new trend of getting a couple together, and then throwing sudden angst at the end to break the couple up, just to get you to buy the next book. I'm more than likely to just wait til they're all out, and by that time, all the fuss has passed and I've usually lost interest.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:14:35 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Deanna, I only read the first book and the story just kind of...ended...in what felt almost like the middle of a scene. It may have been a LONG installment, but for me, any book that has no plot resolution at all, is an installment, regardless of length.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:17:11 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
This difference with the Fever series, though, is that each book aside from the the 4th, had a complete story within it. The overall line (Mac's sister's death/the book/the romance) carried over from book to book, but each book had a different plot that was resolved at the end. Same with Iced. We know it's a bigger picture, but the smaller one was resolved.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:23:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 2:24:07 PM PST
ambrosia says:
Can you imagine if Gone With the Wind had been published in the Installment Method???? It would have been 25 installments at $0.99 for the first, $6.99 for the second, and $9.99 for each of the remaining 23! That would have been one expensive book!!!

Actually I guess Instsllment books are like the olden days when stories were serialized in newspapers - their version of Television. Like how Charles Dickens or Alexandre Dumas (and others) used to publish their stories. Of course, that is why their stories are sometimes waaaaaay too wordy - they got paid by the chapter. The difference here is that we're not in the 1800's. Oh, and none of these authors are Charles Dickens or Alexandre Dumas!!!

I have a TV if I want weekly episodes of cheesy soap opera.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:32:01 PM PST
The Green Mile (stephen king) is an example of an installment book I think was done really well

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:32:53 PM PST
i haven't read them and don't intend to

I guess you could say the same for the Matter of Time series - Mary Calmes then - the first 4 installments were basically one book that the publisher decided to do into 4 - and then she has added like 2-3 "sequels" since then
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  56
Total posts:  231
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions