Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

New to the Romance Forum? Instructions before posting!!!!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 6:43:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2013 8:33:40 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
If you are new here and want to ask questions, please check that the question hasn't been asked before posting. There is a thread "How to Search the Forums ". There are instructions and tips on how to find a book, author, freebies, links to other specific romance forums and other questions. If you do not find the answer, then ask the 'how to' questions there. For a book question, title, author or other key words, use the box on the right, Search Customer Discussions, of this romance forum. Press GO. This will give you information to the threads with the key words that you have put in the box. If there are too many to go through, narrow your search. (Ex. Instead of 'The Bride', put in 'The Bride by Julie Garwood'.) Try different variations of key words. If this fails to give you the answer, then post the question you want answered to the forum.
I have only been on this forum for a year or so, but others much, much longer and I follow them and their reviews, thoughts, recs somewhat blindly. I have seen almost any and every question imaginable for romance books. It is there in the forums. You just need to know how to hunt for it. Happy Hunting!

Link to How to Search the Forums:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdThread=Tx1BIZE3T7HMSL2

Edited- deleted content that some found offensive. Hope this helps the newbies to the forum find the answers to their questions.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:09:00 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 21, 2012 12:40:39 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:51:21 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
*bump*

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 12:44:51 AM PST
Marissa G says:
Bump!

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 1:54:49 PM PST
Lilah Brown says:
what in the world does this "bump" post mean? I am new here and it's driving me crazy, no offense.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 2:08:50 PM PST
It's just a way to keep the thread near the top of the forum so more people can see it. A thread starts to fall down the list, and so people "bump" the post to get it back to the first page.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 3:23:21 PM PST
Lilah Brown says:
thank you

*bump*

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 5:49:44 PM PST
JLC says:
I never have this problem because to the right of my screen is a list named "Your Recently Viewed Discussions" that list at least the last 8 discussion threads I viewed. It allows me to keep up on my favorite threads. Assumed it's the same for everyone??? I went to my favorite discussion thread, right clicked my mouse, selected "create shortcut" & was able to save that page w/my list showing to the right as a shortcut on my homepage. Now I can just click on that shortcut & go directly to my favorite threads. Not only that, the box right above the recently viewed list allows anyone to track their favorite discussions via email.

Maybe you'd be less frustrated if you did something like that D. Arnold. That way you won't have to worry about your threads being bumped. This is a "discussion board/site/whatever" - is there "really" a right or wrong way to ask a question? Is it really fair or even realistic to ask others to limit their posts in "their" preferred thread because it might "bump" someone else's preferred thread? We all have to play fair in the cyber sandbox. It's a lot easier to control your own actions then to ask many, many to control theirs. I'm sure they are not doing it intentionally. Anyway, good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 5:51:03 PM PST
It is the same for everyone, but some people look at a LOT of threads, and that list is only so long. If you look at 20 threads, you're not going to see all of them under the recently viewed discussions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 6:20:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2013 6:29:33 PM PST
JLC says:
True, but you can request to follow all your 20+ sites via email notification. Or follow half of your threads from the "recent viewed list" & half from email tracking. A lot of email, but it'd be a whole lot less frustrating than the dog chasing its tail expectation of trying to control the behavior of the many people that visit this forum just so a particular person's thread won't get bumped! I hate the idea of being rude to anybody or "bumping" them, but I'm not going to start being self-conscious about posting either. How can you tell who's being bumped @ one moment? Who knows how many people have posted by the time I've finished typing & posting this post? Bumping is just a part of the nature of forums likes this. You just have to find ways to work around it so we all can get the most enjoyment out of them.

PS. I'm pretty impressed with any one that can follow 20 threads. I wish I had that kind of time - LOL.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 9:14:33 PM PST
Marissa G says:
I completely understand there are readers visiting for the first time every day who aren't aware of past threads. After more than a year in the forums I follow 20+ threads, and can't afford to have email notifications adding to my inbox which already receives oodles of emails due to the plethora of volunteering I do. Those who have spent months or years on the forums are more than happy to share their knowledge of this history, but in return we respectfully ask people take the time to use the search field and enter a few keywords. 30 seconds searching would have answered several recent new threads. Keyword searches won't answer everyone's questions, but they will help keep similar responses together. Thank you for sharing your opinion *and* trying to see solutions to the flip side of the coin.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 6:26:09 AM PST
tealadytoo says:
Eh, to me the point of bumping a thread is that you want more replies to it. Sure, I can keep it visible to me via "recently viewed threads" or e-mail notifications, but if I bumped a thread, it goes to the first page, and chances are other people will see it an possibly add to it. (Usually threads for recommendations of a certain type of book.)

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 8:34:52 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
My intent was not to control, but to educate! This is a discussion forum and open to all. If you do not have the tools to look for a book, title or other things, then you not only waste your time, but others as well. I remember when I first started and felt lost and would have loved to have known how to find stuff. As it was, I had to putter around until I was able to learn more. There are so many new people that this forum is growing by leaps and bounds. When a question is asked too frequently, the older thread is lost and lots of good recs are not found. Some of the older threads have anywhere from a few postings to 5000 or more postings. Who wants to miss out on the bigger ones? Again, this was not to incite ugliness, but to educate. My tone probably could have been lighter, but as I said it was a long day. Sorry that some of you took it as a controlling issue. Guess you were having a bad day too! As for checking just the recently viewed discussions, I keep an eye out for quite a bit and that wouldn't work for me. I don't post very often except when I think it is important to me. That is what this forum is, our opinions and thoughts about things in the romance forum! If you don't care for someone's opinion or thoughts, then ignore them.

JLC - You have educated people that have looked at this thread with your post. Should we all be upset because your tone is not as nice as could be. No! We read your post, use if need be and go on about our business of findings books. This is the only was these forums work and posters keep posting. We will not agree with every poster/ing.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 8:47:06 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
I think it was very thoughtful for D. Arnold to have created this thread, and have no problem with it being bumped so the new posters can see and learn from it. I have to be honest, I'm tired of seeing new 50 Shades and Beautiful Disaster threads popping up every couple of weeks (it used to be every other day, so at least it's settling down). This is a fast moving forum, so even the most active threads can get pushed back quickly, but creating new ones on the same topic just doesn't work well.

I do NOT track threads. My in-box would explode as I follow almost ALL of them, and not only here on the Romance forum, but the Kindle forum, the Kindle Book forum, and the Meet Our Authors forum.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 9:28:31 AM PST
I agree with HJ and D. I am also glad that the Beautiful Disaster and 50 Shades threads and the books just like them are starting to settle down as well :)...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 2:30:03 PM PST
Ditto.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 6:50:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 7:58:05 PM PST
JLC says:
Let me apologizes for my tone being "not as nice as could be". Being nasty truly wasn't my intent. It's hard to convey one's "true tone" via text when you don't have your voice mannerisms nor facial expressions to reflect your attitude. It does seem like; however, there's been a lot of somebody telling somebody else that they can't be posting this or that in this forum or that. Cripes! I thought this was a "DISCUSSION FORUM" period - LOL! I appreciate everybody's input. It makes things more interesting. Plus, I don't want "shy" posters to be discouraged from posting because they think they're going to posting in the "wrong" way or in the "wrong" forum or something. Anyway, I understand you're just asking for "considerations". I get that, &, I personally will comply. I wish you the best in your pursuit.

I hope you except my cyber "olive branch" of peace! May we all continue to enjoy this forum congenially!

(I'll be honest - I NEVER did get the huge Beautiful Disaster and 50 Shades fanfare in the 1st place. I just thought something was wrong with me.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:03:58 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
No olive branch needed! It usually takes a whole lot more than 'tone' to bug me. As I wrote, too many same questions is my problem!!! Hehehehehe. I feel this discussion is just that, discussion. When someone writes what they feel, then it is their opinion. If I don't agree I move on. Not too long ago I started worrying about the down votes. Once I noticed all the threads growing with trolls, I guessed most of the ugliness was due to that and I pay no attention to them any more. After being on other threads this morning and seeing some of the hostilities there, I am glad this thread has better discussions of the negative side of my op. Seems more intelligent. No one is bashing anyone and I am not feeling put upon. I have a big heart and a big brain and rarely find anything to be ugly about. Not everyone will feel that and when they see the ugliness they will bow out and not participate. Such a shame!
Thanks for all of the advice, good or bad. I still believe that my original post is good, imo. I was off for two days and came back to find at least 3 already asked questions by newer posters. It took me 5 pages to find all of my threads of interest. Am I mad, no. Am I annoyed, yes. Big difference in my mind. Happy Reading to all!!!

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:10:22 PM PST
Annie says:
I want to thank you for posting this. I am a newbie and did not know how to search the forums. Now I know!!!! Thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:23:54 PM PST
D. Arnold says:
Please feel free to ask questions when you want, here or another thread. Majority of posters are glad to help with how, when, where in these threads. No sense in floundering about. I am still learning new things and quite a few posters have a wealth of info.

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 8:36:00 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
Seeing many new posters to the thread. Hope this helps them find the answers to their questions. I deleted the content in the op that some found offensive so as to not sound so snarky about the endless same requests. Happy Hunting!!!

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 2:02:17 PM PDT
D. Arnold says:
I saw through the threads this morning annoyed posters with newer posting to the same questions asked only a page or two back. Hope this helps those who are looking to answer questions easier.

I am on another forum and it is required to check all of the posts through a search for anything dealing with a question or looking for a book. The forum leaders are 'tigers' when it comes to a duplicate postings and they have no problem calling you out on them. I am glad that Amazon isn't like that. I only lurk there once or twice during the week for that reason.

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 2:40:40 PM PDT
D. Arnold, thanks for being helpful. I do okay for the most part, but keeping track of threads can be difficult. I 'save' the locations of certain threads in Favorites and occasionally bump one after a year or so because there are always new readers and new books.

What seems to work best for me is to copy and past the last read page of certain threads, the ones that grow by leaps and bounds every day (you know the ones, I'm sure). This is primarily to keep my inbox from exploding. I delete the posts every day until I have a spare hour or two to resume reading. Anyhow, works for me.

Not sure why there have been so many posts lately complaining about 'bumps.' I have discovered many new (to me) threads I would have missed that way. Bumping every few days could be irritating of course, but after several weeks or months, I have no problem and appreciate the bumps.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
25 May 2, 2016
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
160 7 days ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #5 4916 5 minutes ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 4295 13 minutes ago
Second Chance Romance 5290 40 minutes ago
Old Timey HQ- Real jerlk of an alpha 10 44 minutes ago
Hero in Love at First Sight. 68 1 hour ago
Scarred Heroes in romance 33 1 hour ago
Biker Romance Part 2 6979 1 hour ago
Looking for books with H or h as a translator... aliens, sign language, anything 14 1 hour ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 6 2069 1 hour ago
Trying to find Austen modern remake? 0 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions