Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Desperately seeking a good laugh

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 69 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 24, 2012 9:16:34 AM PDT
Avid reader says:
I need a funny book with a good belly laugh and some romance. I know humor is very individual, but here's what I've read as a clue to my taste:
The first two Rock Chicks
All of Jayne Ann Krentz in her many forms
All of Linda Howard (funny and not)
All of Christie Craig
Julia Harper's Hot and For the Love of Pete
Janet Evanovich, but got really tired of them after about 12
Rachel Gibson
Later Susan Anderson
PLEASE no PNR or YA. Very limited interest but ok with historicals. I've read Loretta Chase and liked a few as well as the Pennyroyal series--I liked the first one I read but not the others. I'm not too fond of first person, but obviously will make exceptions. I'm sorry to be so picky, but I hope someone can help?

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 9:21:18 AM PDT
Seduction and Snacks was pretty funny, I LOLed a lot. Some people don't like the foul mouthed, precocious kid, but I thought he was cute.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 9:27:23 AM PDT
Avid reader says:
Thanks! I'll try it out. I also liked:
the Neighbor from Hell books
Jennifer Crusie

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 9:32:04 AM PDT
read4fun says:
Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 10:02:34 AM PDT
It's a historical, but has some very funny moments, Carried Away by Jill Barnett.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 10:57:02 AM PDT
C. Stapleton says:
Gwyn Cready's, A Novel Seduction, was a good, funny read for me when I needed something light and humorous. Julie James is great--I definitely laughed out loud at her Practice Makes Perfect and love all her books. I agree with Jennifer Crusie and also Seduction and Snacks. Julia Quinn's, What Happens in London--it's book two of a fairly loosely tied together 3 book series, but I thought it was the best, and funniest, of the three and I think it can definitely be read on its own.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 11:11:12 AM PDT
Sandra Hill
The Red-Hot Cajun
Tall, Dark, and Cajun

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 11:25:45 AM PDT
reads*a*lot says:
Love... From Both Sides by Nick Spalding
Love... And Sleepless Nights (A laugh-out-loud romantic sequel) by Nick Spalding
Thought they were both laugh out loud funny.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 2:18:36 PM PDT
McKaren says:
I also loved can you keep a secret!
other favorite romantic comedys include:
Susan Elizabeth Phillips Chicago Stars series begins with It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars / Bonner Brothers)
also I love Julie James books: Just the Sexiest Man Alive (Berkley Sensation) and Practice Makes Perfect (Berkley Sensation)
Bet Meby Jennifer Crusie

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 2:50:47 PM PDT
ap2010 says:
The Kept Woman by Susan Donovan
The Pregnancy Test by Erin McCarthy
Courting Trouble by Deeanne Gist

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 3:05:55 PM PDT
Try Meg Cabot's She Went All the Way. While Cabot usually writes YA, this seemed to be for a more mature audience and was very funny.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 3:49:25 PM PDT
T. Smith says:
If you like pnr, GA Aikens has the Dragonkin series that while very bloody and violent is sooooo funny. I think the third book in that series is the funniest thing I have ever read.

Dragon Actually (Dragon Kin, Book 1)

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 4:25:13 PM PDT
Robin Wilson says:
Goodnight Tweetheart--laugh out loud moments with poignancy, too.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 4:35:42 PM PDT
Avid reader says:
Thank you for all of the suggestions! I have actually tried the Aiken/dragon books, but I just can't get into one. Also-chick lit makes me feel old, but I so appreciate the suggestions. I forgot all about Sandra Hill, so that my next download, then Cabot. I truly deeply appreciate it. I need a respite from the snarky political climate, so please as little sarcasm and 'mean' as possible, but keep the ideas coming! Please.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 4:45:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2012 4:46:37 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
I'm going to support Smut Mommy's Snacks and Seduction rec. It has snark, but in a hysterical way. It's really over-the-top satire, and if you like stand-up comics (the ones with potty mouth), you'd probably like it.

I'd certainly recommend at least clicking the 'look inside' feature and reading it through to the end, first, though.

eta - er - that would be Seduction and Snacks...Darn those pesky fingers with minds of their own. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 4:48:48 PM PDT
Avid reader says:
I've downloaded a sample of Snacks. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 4:50:07 PM PDT
Talltree says:
I second Seductions and Snacks. Its a laugh out loud book.
Does anyone know if the second book is as good? I'm too scared to read it bcos of getting dissapointed.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 4:51:36 PM PDT
Avid reader says:
PPS I love Barnett, Donovan, Phillips and McCarthy. I forgot about them too and may re-read. Good call!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 4:51:46 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
I think Smut Mommy read it and said it wasn't as good, or really even necessary, but she enjoyed it.

(hope I remembered that right)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 4:59:49 PM PDT
cathyr says:
Do you do menage? Kaliana Cole's books are very funny - standalone Good Horses, Fast Cars and Real Men, and Book 1 of series No Bag Limit. Later books in series have m/f bdsm.

I know you said no pnr, but more urban fantasy - Eve Langlais' "Princess of Hell" trilogy is definitely lol. Book 1 Lucifer's Daughter. Does head into menage in next books (but not m/m). Warning - she tends to be expensive for length of book. I love her writing and feel she gives a happily complete story in novella size, but if size:price is an issue for you, skip her works.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 5:12:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2012 5:12:55 PM PDT
That's exactly right. It was good, I LOLed, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one, and neither did most of my Smut Klub friends.

If anyone wants to save a few bucks, I think I have the fanfic it came from, if you don't mind reading it that way.

Oh another that I really enjoyed that made me laugh a LOT was Boycotts & Barflies, it was a lot of fun. No sex til the very end, VERY slow burn, due to a bet the ladies had.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 6:33:11 PM PDT
Anyuthing by Jennifer Crusie. She's the very best at romantic comedies. Bet Me and Agnes and the Hitman are my favs.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 7:09:02 PM PDT
Ellie Swift says:
Try Mercy Walker.

Big Girls on Top (Erotic Romance) Book 1

and

Rebound

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 2:48:11 AM PDT
s*ckb*tch says:
Love this thread! keep em coming! I have a couple I can start with!

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 3:08:22 AM PDT
Sunshine says:
Contemporary romance:

The Boy Next Door by Meg Cabot
Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot
Every Boy's Got One by Meg Cabot
I've Got Your Number: A Novel by Sophie Kinsella

Historical romance:

Mad About the Duke (Avon) by Elizabeth Boyle
Love Letters From a Duke (Bachelor Chronicles) by Elizabeth Boyle
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  Oct 24, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions