Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Heroine's who try to kill themselves - suggestions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 17, 2008 9:25:02 AM PST
Hi Guys,

Recently re-read Lord of the Island by Kimberly Wagner - where the heroine tries to kill herself after her husband and unborn baby die - this happens before the book begins, and A Fateful Choice by Rachel Lee - where she's planned her own death - now its got me started on this plot again!

Wondering if you have read anything similar?

Thanks
Ash

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2008 1:10:28 PM PST
AngelDucky says:
Tallchief by Dinah McCall/Sharon Sala has the heroine try to kill herself between the prologue and Chapter 1. The heroine was forced to leave the hero as a teenager and was so depressed she slit her wrists. I personally loved that book

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2008 5:11:10 PM PST
A.M.B. says:
Cold as Ice by Anne Stuart. The heroine attempts suicide during the course of the book, although it seemed jarring in the scope of the story...to me, anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2008 7:20:48 PM PST
luv2read says:
A NEW ATTITUDE by Charlotte Hughes. I really enjoyed this book and it grabed me from the get go.
Marilee Abernathy decides that life has played one too many tricks on her. Even though Chickpea, South Carolina, is a small town, she was the last to know that her husband moved in with the local trollop, taking along their 15-year-old son. Shocked and devastated, Marilee settles on suicide, but even that doesn't work. In the middle of hanging herself from a beam in the ceiling, Marilee realizes that she wants to live and fight for her son, then the ladder falls. Her next-door neighbor, Sam Brewer, who was a Romeo back when she was in high school, rescues her from the debris, but now Marilee must rescue herself from her old life and find a new one. While trying to do this, she takes in a pregnant teen, finds a job, and starts divorce proceedings as Sam tries to convince her that he should be part of her new life.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 1:47:36 AM PST
Guys,

Thank you for the suggestions!!

Isnt the Anne Stuart book where the Hero is Bi? or more to the point sleeps with guys in the course of his career to get information out of them? I remember someone suggesting i definitely stay away from it!

Thanks
Ash

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 4:54:38 AM PST
AngelDucky says:
I looked up the book and that is apparently true. I gathered from reviews that the author handles the subject well, but I haven't read the book myself so I don't know.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 8:45:34 AM PST
J. French says:
I would second the recommendation for Tallchier for another reason. This was a love that transcended time and circumstances. I love this book too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 5:21:11 PM PST
A.M.B. says:
Hi Ash, I don't recall it baldly stating that, but does indicate that he'll sleep with whomever he has to get what the wants, male or female. If that bothers you, then you should probably skip it. But I liked the book, overall. Very typical Anne Stuart.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 1:31:13 PM PST
ebookfan says:
bump

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 1:53:38 PM PST
BethB says:
Ok, I'm absolutely NOT recommending this book, but if you're in the mood for a real fork-in-the-eye, try Western Thunder

A real bodice ripper where the h goes through several gang rapes, branding, numerous other violent events. Towards the end, for reasons that I best remember as spite against the H, the h decides to jump off a cliff. Sadly, she changes her mind.

To my sorrow, I got rid of this book years ago and I've never met anyone else who's read it. I'd love to know if it's as hilariously awful as I remember.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 2:37:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 2:39:57 PM PST
Robin Wilson says:
In Cold As Ice, he is not bisexual; it was only to get the job done, so to speak. His character develops from a cold, detached personality.

One of my favorite reads that fits your thread:
All Things Beautiful

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 4:45:32 PM PST
I absolutely love this plot. I always wonder hoe an author can get from an suicidal and hurt h to a passionate and happy h by the end of the novel and where the H fits in and helps.

Shades of Twilight by Linda Howard. I've just recently re-read and fell in love all over again. The suicide is more subtle as the h dealt with disordered eating. It was touched upon with the H in the beginning where he has to remind her to eat and keeps track of her eating, but after the H leaves after accused of killing his wife (which the h feel responsible for) she refuses to eat and gets down to 80 pounds. With the help of the family she recovers but she is a different person, not bubbly or lively as she used to be with the H so he begins to count her laughs and smiles.

No Chance by Christy Reece. The H/h have a very beautiful beginning on a resort away from the real world and fall in love. The H is recovering from combat and the h is trying to get away from the press. But once they decide to get married the h's father uses some manipulative way to stop that from happening by making her think he's killed himself by downing in the sea. They send divers out but once they give up, the h takes upon herself to dive alone and tired and weak and she doesn't care, she just keeps diving. This story comes out later by the father though so we don't get to see it but it still resonates.

These were more the h's didn't care if they died more than actively trying to kill themselves, but they are great deep stories.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 6:00:39 PM PST
RomReader says:
The Long Surrender (Harlequin Presents..., 277) by Charlotte Lamb -- h tried to kill herself 2x

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 6:31:06 PM PST
CMommy says:
Ruining Me by Nicole Reed Beware you'll need some tissues and it ends with a cliffhanger.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 6:38:32 PM PST
Melanie says:
Another vote for All Things Beautiful (Monogram) and The Long Surrender (Harlequin Presents..., 277). Both are on my keeper shelf!

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 7:16:47 PM PST
hiker says:
Jilted (Harlequin Presents # 614) the h in this one tries to kill her self after the wedding of her best friend and he ex fiance..(which the best friend stole..) the h goes home with his brother from the wedding ... drunk she tries to smex the brother who looks like the ex... when she says the brothers name in the heat of the moment... the hero goes off.... she goes into the bathroom and tries to overdose.... this h is trully an nut job.... this book is a train wreck...lol

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 7:57:08 PM PST
T. Smith says:
One of Christine Feehan's Dark series, I *think* Dark Curse, has the h trying to kill herself. She had a Feehan typical horrible life, where she was captive for many years. When the H finds her he is as horribly arrogant as all the Dark H's are. He is hurt and has to sleep to heal. In order to make sure the h doesn't run away while he sleeps and heals he handcuffs her to the bed, thinking that when he wakes they can talk it out and 'all will be well' because that's just how the H's are in the Dark series. When he wakes up he finds she has tried to kill herself. He really does feel bad about being so arrogant and not putting her welfare ahead of his, which is a big thing in his world.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:41:08 PM PST
G-Lin says:
Strangers By Barbara Elsborg - h tries to kill herself by drowning in the ocean and in the same ocean meets the H, who is also trying to kill himself. Great writing and very emotional. Its a Ellora cave book, so it's pretty sexy, also. But i love all the books, this author writes, she always make me either cry or laugh out loud.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:57:52 PM PST
Lord Rose says:
There are a number of other threads on this topic, too.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/?cdThread=Tx24TYK3ILRFH8S
http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/?cdThread=Tx3JJI4D2HSZ55Q
http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/?cdThread=Tx3GX5FSQPVOR6
http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/?cdThread=Tx274XARLVI5MCY

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 11:19:48 AM PST
Tala says:
Some info. and spoilers for All Things Beautiful, please.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 11:30:42 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
Loved Strangers! Very good emotional read. On my fav shelf.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 11:32:28 AM PST
Reader79 says:
I loved Immortal Coil (A Dragon Spirit Novel, Book 1). This story starts with the heroine trying to kill herself because she has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and doesn't want to suffer anymore. This is a paranormal romance - not sure if its your thing. Great heroine and great hero.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:39:48 PM PST
BookHawk says:
A Song for Julia (Thompson Sisters Book 1) She does not try kill herself during book but she has scars on her wrists from past attempt

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 4:56:12 PM PST
Robin Wilson says:
Spoilers for ALL THINGS BEAUTIFUL:
The h comes from a shallow family that has no qualms about using her to get ahead. The H wants property that her family has, and she's part of the trade to get it. He is bitter and very angry towards her, but we see his gentle and loving side whenever he interacts with his frail mother. (These spoilers barely scratch the surface of the emotions above and below the surface of each character.) The slowly building trust between the h and H is realistic and their eventual love is quite poignant. It's a keeper.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 7:47:25 PM PST
Tala says:
Thank you Robin, I think I'll give it a try.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Jan 17, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions