Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Worst Betrayl Ever!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 8960 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 30, 2010 10:56:57 PM PST
M. Lee says:
Hi everyone, I would love to hear your suggestions for the worst betrayl ever. Whether it be the hero or heroines fault (kudos especially if there is groveling afterwards)... I just want to hear everyone's favorite betrayl romance stories... Thanks in advance... Oh and it could be contemporary or historical...

Posted on Jan 30, 2010 11:48:04 PM PST
The number one that always comes to mind for me is in Linda Howards Dream Man. Marnie (the heroine) is pyschic and can visualize when a serial killer is murdering his own victim. It is like the killer takes over her body. Dane is the cop investigating the murders and at first does not believe her. As the story progresses he becomes her lover. When Marnie "sees" the killer as he is looking in the mirror, Dane contacts the press behind he back, setting her up as bait for the killer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 3:07:09 AM PST
JennyG. says:
For me it would have to be Perfect Sin by Kat Martin. Hero betrayed the heroine when she needed him the most. I thought it unforgivable and stopped reading at that point. No amount of grovelling could earn him my forgiveness.

Jenny

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 3:38:41 AM PST
Shabby girl says:
Lady Gallant by Suzanne Robinson - hero thought heroine had committed treason and betrayed him. He married her knowing it, and deliberately hurt her so badly. Historical. Excellent book, a keeper for me. Good book all round, but worth it just for the best grovelling I've read so far!

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 5:49:14 AM PST
I would have to say Risk Everything by Sophia Johnson. Hero kidnaps heroine in retaliation to something he believes her brother did, tells her he wants to handfast with her (marry), but is really betrothed to another. She believes him and they fall in love, but he still carries through with his revenge and marries another. Of course he finds out the truth and is heartbroken and sorry for what he did and it ends with an HEA, but I don't think I could have forgiven him. Excellent, excellent book!

P.S. There is no cheating in this for those of us who can't tolerate that.

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 10:32:42 AM PST
T. Smith says:
Coyotes Mate by Lora Leigh. This has a two-fer in it. First at the beginning the hero promises the heroine over an over (for years) then when they rescue the breeds in the lab her family works at they won't be harmed. The get shot (by him) of course. Then when things are finally back on track for the H/h, he cancels a marriage between them. He has his own (stupid) reasons but it looks bad on her and causes her lots of problems (like possibly getting her killed instead of protecting her like he wanted).

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 10:39:51 AM PST
Oooh - these sound intriguing! I've read, and loved, Lady Gallant, and I've read Dream Man though I didn't think he groveled nearly enough for setting her up (not to mention costing her her job). What level of groveling do Coyotes Mate and Risk Everything have? I enjoy reading about betrayal only if they really have to work to make it up to the heroine. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 11:18:50 AM PST
T. Smith says:
I agree with you about Dream Man. Just a tiny bit too soon. He should have suffered a bit longer.

In Coyotes Mate, it's been a while since I read it. Seems like he made it up to her, but for the life of me I can't recall exactly how it went.

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 11:51:51 AM PST
In Risk Everything he didn't have to grovel nearly enough, in my opinion, but it was still really, really good.

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 1:34:32 PM PST
Reader in NJ says:
I read the reviews for Lady Gallant and it appears the hero cheats on the heroine after they are married. I don't care for that and will pass on that book. As for Risk Everything, if the hero marries the other woman then one do they have HEA? His first wife was murdered, so does the second wife die also so that he can finally marry the heroine?

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 2:22:14 PM PST
Janet says:
There was a Jill Gregory book, a sequel to another where the hero blames his wife for the miscarriage she had and goes out to the saloon. I think he even went with one of the prostitutes to her room, but ends up not going through with it. The wife is distraught and runs away, gets kidnapped and is missing for years. He does search for her for all those years, but that was pretty bad for a betrayal.

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 2:35:58 PM PST
Sharon says:
In Coyote's Mate, he had to shoot her father and cousins during the rescue or they would have been killed by their bosses. It had to look like they had put up a fight to prevent the rescue. In all the other rescues, they had always killed all the security forces. I never understood why she could never understand that. Even her father and cousins understood it and they were the ones who were shot. The bit about the wedding could certainly be called a betrayal, though as you said, he thought he was doing it to protect her. Of course, if any of these H/h's EVER talked to each other, their lives would be much simpler. Sometimes the obtuseness is maddening. I know it's to set up the conflict, but I usually wish they would resolve those sooner they do and work as a team to solve whatever plot needs to be solved.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 2:40:55 PM PST
Tara says:
This sounds good...just downloaded it to my kindle.Thanks for the head's up :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 2:48:21 PM PST
T. Smith says:
I know he had to shoot them, but he did tell her for literally years that they would not be harmed. Knowing all along it was going to happen that way.

And as for the wedding being called off, I think she even knew why he did it, even if she was emotionally hurt by it. But the dummy hero didn't tell anyone else in the pack, leading them to believe she had betrayed him.

I've read a lot of people that hated her and thought at the beginning her not letting him get close to her again and forceing a separation was so bad, but I was happy that for ONCE one of the breed mates says "NO! I don't care how the hormones are making my body feel. I don't like you!"

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 3:04:24 PM PST
Sharon says:
I know he didn't tell her for years, but if he had told her, I think she would have quit working with him to set up the escape. And he thought that also. I do get exasperated with some of these boneheads, both male and female, in Lora Leigh's books, but I just can't make myself stop reading them! As for Coyote's mate, he let her go her own way, but paid for her apartment and lots of other stuff, like her expensive lotion, etc., and he never told her. He didn't try to force her to him. I didn't hate her, but I found her somewhat annoying. Like so many of LL's women, they do so-called independent actions, but ones that often put others in danger as well as themselves. She doesn't portray a lot of her female characters as having good common sense.

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 3:36:19 PM PST
M. Lee says:
Great recommendations everyone. Lady Gallant sounds like a good book to read and have ordered it already. Please keep the suggestions coming, very still interested in what everyone has to say!!!

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 4:37:22 PM PST
Clh says:
Linda Howards Almost Forever would definitely be it for me. It still hurts me to think about it and he did virtually nothing to win her back!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 6:22:35 PM PST
Yahaira says:
Actually, the hero never actually cheats on the heroine. He has every intention to do it, but she walks in on him. He torments her with it, but he never actually had sex with another woman in the entire book.
I will agree with everyone, the groveling was amazing. Most books just have the hero realize he loves her within the last 5 pages and everything he did is simply forgotten! Here, the hero gets on his knees and practically starves himself because he gets so depressed over her constant rejections (the groveling actually lasts weeks). He finally wins her over after she discovers him trying to make a love potion with the help of a puppy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 6:27:27 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 31, 2010 6:31:32 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 6:43:00 PM PST
I second Dream Man- I love books about psychics, witches etc and that made me mad. I can't remember teh title but it was a Janet Dailey book, a Silhouette or one of her Americanas. The heroine was named Tamara and her mother was very ill so she embezzled from the company. The heros name was Something Rutledge and he found out and forced her to marry him. He was very cold to her. It all worked out in the end.

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 6:53:32 PM PST
Oh, The Missing by Shiloh Walker. Taige got royally "messed" over because of the actions of Cullen. Starting with her not being able to see what is about to happen (she's psychic.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 6:55:07 PM PST
Clh says:
Do you know the name of that book? Sounds good!

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 6:55:36 PM PST
Reader in NJ says:
Yahaira which book are you referring to?

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 6:56:24 PM PST
Clh says:
That question was for Janet about the Jill Gregory.

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 6:57:06 PM PST
Navi says:
A couple of Linda Howard books come to mind for me:

in Dying to Please, after the H and h have already become intimate, the H believes the h committed a murder and treats her horribly when she needs his support. Very hard to get through, but he did a good amount of groveling for being the pig-headed Alpha that he was.

and in The Cutting Edge, again the H and h get intimate, the H believes the h guilty of a crime and actually has her arrested! He doesn't grovel nearly enough either and this one actually made me mad that she took him back.

Strange as it may seem, while I was reading them, I thought both H's were beyond forgiveness, but I absolutely loved both these books!

Navi
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 359 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  471
Total posts:  8960
Initial post:  Jan 30, 2010
Latest post:  6 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 99 customers

Search Customer Discussions