Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Dark, powerful and brutal heros

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 259 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2012 7:42:58 PM PST
Pinky says:
Call me crazy, but I love reading about men who are mean to their heriones. I've read tons of romance novels from all categories, but now I'm looking for new books with the following criterias
#1 Virgin heriones
#2 Jaded, brooding, mean heros
#3 I like romance, paranormal, regency, contemporary, etc.
#4 Well written, cheesy but in a good way.
#5 Happy endings, I do not like surprise deaths of main characters.
I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 8:31:23 PM PST
B. Lim says:
You try Stormfire,Christine Monson, Caress & Conquer by Connie Mason

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 8:34:25 PM PST
Pinky says:
Thanks, I'll check these out. I've read books by Connie Mason, but never Caress & Conquer.

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 8:38:43 PM PST
B. Lim says:
I still have not finish reading Caress & Conquer because is too emotional. I don't like how the hero treated the h. He cheated on her with his mistress through entire book. His mistress is really evil to the h.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 8:42:28 PM PST
Pinky says:
Sometimes Connie Mason tends to drag her characters through the mud a little too much. I generally like her books, but I find that she seperates them for long periods of time. Actually, some of my most favorite authours such as Johanna Lindsey and Diana Palmer have really been disappointing me with their new writings. How do these characters ever fall in love if they're never together?

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 8:48:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2012 8:50:40 PM PST
B. Lim says:
Well Caress n Conquer they didn't separate that long. He raped the h in the beginning of the book. Separate for a year I think. She was the hero indenture servant, so they do see each other. My English is not that good to give you spoiler. You can read the spoiler on don't shoot me thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 8:50:34 PM PST
I don't like this type of man so I can give you the names of some authors that I don't like for this reason. I'm not sure if they will fit in with all your criteria.

Christina Dodd
Catherine Coulter
Joanna Lindsay

I'm just curious, what is it you like about men who are mean to their heroines? (I'm not judging you. I just wonder. If you don't want to answer that's OK.)

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 8:58:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2012 10:08:35 PM PST
B. Lim says:
I just think is difference. Maybe tire of the same genre.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 8:59:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2012 9:22:36 PM PST
Pinky says:
I don't want to be treated that way in real life, I love gentel, caring men, odd huh? In fact if a man ever treated me like one of the ruffians from romance novels, I would be inspired to do something violent to him. But I like the adventure of reading about brutal men that soften throughout the story and finally fall in love. I grew up reading old school novels that really put harsh to shame. I don't like novels where they fall in love right off the bat, because it gets boring and the story is over. I also don't like sex and rape scenes in every chapter either, I like a couple of scenes where it goes from rough to gentle. I guess I'm writing a book, but to sum it all up, I like reading how the hero progresses from a tiger to a kitten. HEHEHEHE! Crazy I know, but that's just me. I do love witty, clever heros too. I guess the dark, brutal types are just one of my favs. I really love possessive, protective men also such as Julie Garwood's hero from The Bride and The Wedding and etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 9:02:54 PM PST
pgn says:
The Silver Devil by Teresa Denys. The H is possessive about h and willing to do anything even torture those who just look at the h.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 9:04:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2012 9:16:39 PM PST
Pinky says:
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 9:11:36 PM PST
Diana Palmer's heros always begin with being pretty cruel to their heroines. Usually due to a misunderstanding of some sort. They do end somewhat cheesily. My friends and I love this type of romance also so if you're crazy you aren't alone! A lot of times Sandra Brown and Iris Johansen fit this category also.

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 9:13:22 PM PST
Arual says:
The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen Woodiwiss is a classic.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 9:15:50 PM PST
Pinky says:
I love Diana Palmer books!!!!!!!!!!!! I like Iris Johansen too, but I've not read a book by her in years. I just can't seem to get over the authors I read back in the day. Nothing really can compare to them if you know what I mean.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 9:17:51 PM PST
I don't like a hero quite as rough to start with as you do, but everything else you say I agree with. Watching a man change due to love is so romantic.

I agree also when you say you don't want to be treated in real life the way some heroes treat their women. But that's why we like romances, right? We can have our romance the way we like it without having to actually experience the parts we wouldn't really like!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 9:18:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2012 9:20:34 PM PST
Pinky says:
Yes, Arual, I love Kathleen Woodwiss and it broke my heart when she passed away. My favorite book that she wrote was Ashes in The Wind. She certainly was a classic writer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 9:19:25 PM PST
Pinky says:
I totally agree with you Detective Sherlock Anna Karenina. Who says we can't have our cake and fantasies too? HEHEHEHEHE!

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 9:41:57 PM PST
Arual says:
Wow, look at the prices for The Silver Devil. Do you think a library would have a book this old?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 10:07:08 PM PST
B. Lim says:
Aural I think u can read the Silver devil on scribd for free.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 10:23:19 PM PST
Cphe says:
Into The Darklands by Michelle Sagara West.
I hope that this fits your criteria

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 11:36:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2012 11:39:02 PM PST
V says:
The Velvet Promise by Jude Deveraux(historical)
The River Lady by Jude Deveraux(historical)
The Fire Flower by Edith Layton(historical)
The Sherbrook Bride by Catherine Coulter(historical)
The Coming Home Place by Mary Spencer(historical)
Rhy's Redemption by Anne Macallister(contemporary)
Fearless by Diana Palmer(contemporary)
Lawman by Diana Palmer(contemporary)
After the Night by Linda Howard(contemporary- I included this one even though the h is not a virgin)
Sarah's Child by Linda Howard(contemporary)
High Plains Wife by Jillian Hart(historical)
Buying Mackenzie's Baby by Kim Rees(contemporary)

Hope this helps you:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2012 8:53:15 AM PST
Pinky says:
Thanks for all the suggestions. Some I've read and loved, but I'll check out the ones that I haven't.

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 3:08:29 PM PST
Sugar Snacks says:
Have you read Anne Stuart? Her heroes are always dark.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 2:49:07 PM PST
MelissaB says:
Elizabeth Lowell oldies like:
Autumn Lover, A Woman Without Lies, Only series, Dark Fire, Fire and Rain, Warrior

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 4:40:20 PM PST
readsalot says:
Rosemary Rogers - Sweet Savage Love
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
105 Jun 10, 2014
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #3 2347 1 minute ago
Biker Romance Part 2 817 28 minutes ago
Loan Me Thread V. 6 3354 39 minutes ago
Hilarious mistakes in (mostly self-published) books 7140 53 minutes ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 1469 56 minutes ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 4 8362 1 hour ago
h has a baby and running from an abusive situation 0 1 hour ago
"The List" that was spawned by the popular Don't Shoot Me Thread 6627 1 hour ago
Plain/Ugly But Still Attractive Hero 102 1 hour ago
Freebies that you've read - Good and Bad 1040 2 hours ago
Here I go again, Help can't find a book 2 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  98
Total posts:  259
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 57 customers

Search Customer Discussions