Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Historicals with deaf/blind/mute h?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2012 12:26:32 PM PST
Austen Jane says:
Hi all. I'm looking for some suggestions on historical romances (England or Scotland region) where the h is either deaf, blind, or mute. I've recently read the new Maya Banks (Never Seduce a Scot) and really enjoyed it. Hoping for something along the same vein...

I hate all things Western and American-pioneer-themed, so please don't suggest these.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 12:31:12 PM PST
Colleen says:
Moon Craving (A Children of the Moon Novel)

PNR based in Scotland (roughly 1300-1500s). H is a werewolf, h is deaf, but hides it!
It's pretty great. There is a book 1 that I would read before (Moon Awakening (Children of the Moon, Book 1)), but it could read as a stand alone.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 12:41:21 PM PST
ap2010 says:
Silent Melody by Mary Balogh
Mouth to Mouth by Erin McCarty
Silent Suitor by Elizabeth Fairchild
Beguiled (Harlequin Historical) by Susan Spencer Paul

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 1:02:15 PM PST
Talltree says:
Temptation & Twilight (Hqn)

h blind.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 1:05:35 PM PST
Lord Rose says:
Three Nights with a Scoundrel by Tessa Dare has a deaf heroine
The Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne has a blind heroine (for part of the book, anyway.)

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 1:27:28 PM PST
I just finished two of a series (waiting on the third), Highlander Unchained (Highlander Trilogy) and Forbidden Highlander (Highlander Trilogy) by Donna Fletcher. The h is mute in these books. The only thing that really surprised me was that an experienced writer would have so many typos in her book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:34:13 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
"The only thing that really surprised me was that an experienced writer would have so many typos in her book."

Maybe going from Trad- pubbed to Self? I've seen that happen frequently.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:48:04 PM PST
That would be my best guess. You'd think they'd know the importance of proofreading before putting it out there to gain snitty reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:49:14 PM PST
cathyr says:
I've been reading her "Warrior King" Series and while I did notice a slight uptick in typos (thought it was just me), more significantly I saw a need for tighter editing - she seems to have started repeating herself and drags on a bit since the Sinclare Brothers. The "Warrior King" series is through HarperCollins ("Highlander Trilogy" is self-published).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:59:55 PM PST
She does seem to like to beat a point to death. In the two books I rec'd, various characters went on and on about how they would not bed a woman who couldn't scream, moan, yell (pick your favorite pillow noise), etc her pleasure when they, ah.........did her. Several times my eyes got stuck rolling back in my head.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 2:01:37 PM PST
Robin Wilson says:
Candle in the Window

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 2:07:11 PM PST
cathyr says:
As an author, she seems to have some interesting, original ideas. She knows how to develop a story, particularly over a series. But I am struggling with the expression of it. As she has increased in popularity she seems to have decreased the quality of the work. And she can be somewhat hit and miss, within the same series, as to likeability of characters. This is an author I really *want* to like, and keep hoping I will appreciate the next one I pick up *more*.

Maybe I'm burning out on historicals and need to hit something else for a while.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 2:12:55 PM PST
Ezinwanyi says:
In this book, the hero is mute Conquered by a Highlander (Children of the Mist)

In this book, the heroine has hearing loss which resulted from a fever and sickness Never Seduce a Scot: Montgomerys and Armstrongs, Book 1

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 2:15:30 PM PST
pona says:
Deana James's Speak Only Love is a good one about a mute heiress kidnapped by an English Earl and forced to marry his drunk reprobate son.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 2:24:47 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Sounds suspiciously like Lora Leigh...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 2:45:23 PM PST
Vasso says:
Ezinwanyi.....in Conquered by a Highlander (Children of the Mist) the hero Colin isn't mute. You must have the wrong story.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 4:17:05 PM PST
J. Manfull says:
All About Romance has a special titles listing for this. It details the issue by character name (so you can tell if it's H or h):

http://www.likesbooks.com/lessthanperfect.html

I've read and enjoyed (of books that fit your request--I've read more on this list <g>):
Candle in the Window (Britain)
The Silent Suitor (Britain)
Silent Melody (Britain--one of my favorites)
Annie's Song (American West)
The Outlaw and the Lady (American West--very good)

All of these books do NOT have Magical Cures. I will say that I have not read an historical with a mute hero or heroine where it wasn't either temporary or a deception--and I really don't like books where there is a deception based on a physical handicap.

Others not on the list:
Three Nights With a Scoundrel (Britain--again, really liked this one--last in a trilogy)
Homespun Bride by Jillian Hart (American West--this is free)

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 8:39:02 AM PST
Ezinwanyi says:
@V.Iampietro:
Thank you!!
I made a mistake. I meant the hero Callum inTempted by the Highland Warrior (MacKinloch Clan, Book 3) by Michelle Willingham.

Although i loved Collin & Gillian very much in Conquered by a Highlander, the H/h didn't have a disability that I can remember.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:47:12 AM PST
Austen Jane says:
@J. Manfull - what a great website! It's a little disturbing to read through it but I'm excited to try some of those books.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:49:56 AM PST
Austen Jane says:
@Colleen - read it last night and enjoyed it. Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't like that the H was such a baby about her keeping a secret when he was keeping the worlds biggest secret himself, but it was a good read :)

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 10:01:42 AM PST
Vasso says:
@Ezinwanyi.....no worries. That story that you mentioned, is it any good? It's a book 3, would I have to read all three? I like that theme of a disabled hero, it sounds interesting.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 12:24:05 PM PST
Lord Rose says:
Here's another: The Parfit Knight by Stella Riley has a blind heroine.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 2:28:46 PM PST
I found another while purging out old books from my kindle (kindle has told me it reached capacity and want the pressure removed before allowing more book added--I even get pushed around by my electronics). Try InSight by Polly Lyer has a blind h (the result of assault by her ex-husband) and counsels newly disabled people in adapting. The H was law enforcement who became deaf as a result of trauma on the job (I think).

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 4:10:03 PM PST
D. Arnold says:
His Enemy's Daughter (Harlequin Historical) was a very good one for me. h is blinded when H attacks her keep. He has been severely scarred on his face by her father and seeks revenge when the king gives the keep and her to him. Turned out to be a nice keeper for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 2:40:59 PM PST
J. Manfull says:
>> Try InSight by Polly Lyer has a blind h (the result of assault by her ex-husband) and counsels newly disabled people in adapting. The H was law enforcement who became deaf as a result of trauma on the job (I think). <<

I actually just reread this one this week (due to this thread and going back through <g>). Good book, with a very uncommon combination. You've gotta like the total conspiracy theory type of suspense to read this, though. It's one of those "Just when you think it's over...jeese...why am I only at 65% on my Kindle?" type of books. :)

Judy
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions