Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Worst Betrayl Ever!!!

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3176-3200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 11, 2012 9:32:57 AM PDT
Lalo says:
Nothing I have seen in this discussion has made me want to read Linda Winfree. I'll put her on my list of authors not to read.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 9:57:02 AM PDT
ebookfan says:
Vanessa-
What book are you describing, please?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 10:20:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2012 10:33:52 AM PDT
@Lillian Rose
Oh, yeah, you are right about the thing where she says it won't work. But she is still the one that makes all the effort and it just makes me feel good to blame Mark ;)

I agree I'll never trust this author again and it's too bad because I think she is an excellent writer, I'm not overly fond of some of her plots. And I DETEST "ghost of the dead (or gone) wife".

I think Tori will always be second best - the second wife and not as much loved as the first one; second woman to have his kid and he sees the kid from Angel as the reparation for losing his first one. I just wanted to be his everything but she is just like an after thought.

I agree about the author just leaving Tori and Cookie alone. In fact I wished Angel's kid would have just not been or it had been Jim's.

I wasn't real wild about Chris and Ruthie's book either. I know he had issues about the way Ruthie's husband was taken care of but Chris just walked off and left her when she needed him the most. His excuse was, oh she wouldn't want him around but he never even made the effort to talk to her.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 1:21:29 PM PDT
Vanessa says:
Will you be reading it? I haven't read one of hers in awhile, but the last one I read I remember bored me to tears and I was unable to finish it. Believe it was Delicious.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 1:24:35 PM PDT
Vanessa says:
Hey eBook Fan :D

I was responding to this post by bookaddict

There's a book that comes out next month that I've been waiting impatiently for that may be another wall banger for me .

May be spoilers ##

Its called Ravishing the Heiress (Berkley Sensation) As soon as I read the excerpt a few months ago I fell in love with Fitz/H and Millie/h and although I haven't read many historical s ( apart from Lisa Kleypas) I am really nervous as I know in some historical s the men have extra marital affairs and mistresses and this is seen as ok and acceptable (tell me if i'm wrong ) . Also I tend to stay away from Marriage of Convenience plots as the H tend to be arrogant or mean to h but Fitz isn't like that at all.He is however in love with someone else so these two elements together are worrying me !
I have read the first book in the series Beguiling the Beauty (Berkley Sensation) and it has put me in two minds about reading Ravishing the Heiress.Normally I'm not so conflicted as I just give books that have these plots in them a wide berth and normally stay away from historicals but Millie and Fitz have took a hold of my heart and I desperately want to see how their moc works out for them .
Has anyone read the first book Beguiling the Beauty or are familiar with Sherry Thomas's work . Should I be worried do you think ?

The book was mentioned on the GR thread for The List and I was sharing what little notes I had on the story. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 2:44:05 PM PDT
bookaddict says:
Vanessa
Thanks for the infor. you are right ,he does discuss his affairs with his wife and she even suggests another mistress ,someone who won't be as clingy !! I was so shocked when I read that ,that his wife would discuss the pros and cons of his mistresses that it immediately put me off . I was looking forward to ittoo but now will wait for spoilers and reviews before risking it .

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 3:33:44 PM PDT
Every one is entitled to their opinion. I just don't get why everyone is so down on Cookie(Mark) in Winfree's book. He was a young happily married man expecting a baby when his wife disappeared. There was no closure for him....no nothing. He had no idea what had happened to his wife, his marriage, his baby. It made him live on the surface of life without putting down any emotional roots. I get him. I see why he lives the way he does. He loves Tori. He and Angel got together one night because she had been dumped by her long term fiance' and then Cookie moved on. Angel comes across in her book as a woman who looks like a "good time" but she was a devoted fiance' until he dumped her. Cookie apologized finally. I like both of them. They are scarred from life. Winfree doesn't write straight romances. Her books have some meat in them. I hope those of you who have decided not to read her reconsider. I use all of you for recommendations on books to read and I hope you use mine as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 3:40:20 PM PDT
bookaddict says:
TPWNN
I understand that the h was only 16 and H 19 and they were both forced into the marriage . If the h had refused she would have still been forced to marry someone else of her parents choosing as they wanted a titled heir and same goes for the H .He needed to marry a rich Heiress and if not her then someone else . They decided to wait before consummating their marriage but I can't understand why they would wait eight years to do so . In them days people married young so even two/three years would have been enough . I guess we wont know why they decided eight years until the book is released .Its just annoying to me that it gives H opportunity to have many lovers while all these years the h is chaste . True it was a business match /MOC but even so it is very much one sided . H gets immediate access to all the wealth he married h for but she is still chaste nearly eight years later ,never mind trying for a heir that the match was made for .
One of the reasons I don't read historical s is because of the extramarital affairs .They really put me off so I'll either have to put aside my distaste for them and give it a shot or rely on spoilers from people who read it to satisfy my curiosity.
Thanks for your take on the excerpt .Please spoil it for me if you do read it when it is released.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 3:45:15 PM PDT
So it's a time line issue more than a story line issue? That totally makes sense. I understand your point that the pregnancy should have been dealt with in Cookie and Tori's book but that would have messed up the telling of Angel/Troy's story. So if I'm understanding correctly, your issue is that the author took the easy way out when writing Fall Into Me?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 3:46:56 PM PDT
I agree. I don't think it would be a deal breaker for me either. It would be a blow, but since there wasn't cheating I think I could get past it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 3:48:53 PM PDT
M. Nix says:
I did like Winfree's other books but I just could not get over Cookie and Tori. It's just an unspoken rule for me, never go back and mess with a couple's happily ever after. Like you said, everyone is entitled to their own likes and dislikes and to me going back and messing with a couple after you've finished their story is a deal breaker. It probably would have worked out better if she had written Angel's story FIRST and then we could have dealt with it in Tori and Cookie's book. But that's just me. While your right, her books do have substance and like I said, I loved her others up until Angel's book it left me feeling yucky, which is never how I want to feel after reading a romance. But to each their own :)

I've read plenty of books that others have hated and like them. Everyone has different tastes :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 3:52:25 PM PDT
M. Nix says:
bookaddict, I'm going to give the book a try but I have to say, I have the same issues with historicals for just this point. The only historical writer where the h actually has a love affair outside of the H that I've seen is Sylvia Day. She did one book where the H/h had a MOC and they were apart a long time, the h had an affair while he was gone and she enjoyed it. Which I thought was great after all the historicals where the h is chaste.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 3:52:53 PM PDT
I completely agree about Cookie. But I just can't get past Angel. I figured the author would make her "misunderstood" but that just doesn't work for me... I honestly wish if the series had been planned like this, Angel would have made more than the one appearance in Hearts Awakened. That way we could have saw more of her personality instead of the bimbo "act" she played in Hearts Awakened. I still probably wouldn't have read her story (not a fan of older women younger men stories) but it would have made her more acceptable to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 4:44:21 PM PDT
Vanessa says:
bookaddict some historicals are good and very romantic though :) One that I continually remember is Brodick from Ransom by Julie Garwood.

Yes, boogenhagen you knew I would try to go there, didn't you? LOL!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 4:49:47 PM PDT
I liked Delicious a lot (and adored the B storyline with Will) though it always seems to be the most overlooked/least liked of Sherry Thomas's books. I enjoy her books because her characters and plots aren't cookie-cutter and she writes well - sometimes beautifully. Though her last one from the reviews and plot synopsis doesn't sound very appealing the one coming up and the excerpt has hooked me so yes I will be reading it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 4:50:38 PM PDT
Vanessa says:
M. Nix I think a lot of readers agree with you. Don't mess w/ the HEA. I think someone already mentioned the Stephanie Laurens one. But what about that other one? The racing one? The Chase, that's it. I didn't read it, but I saw the thread on here where it was talked about and no one seemed to like the ending of that one. It sort of reminds me of the one everyone is talking about on here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 5:00:25 PM PDT
M. Nix says:
Vanessa,
Exactly! The Stephanie Laurens? I never understood why she wrote that book. We all knew the H cheated on Helena. Where was the HEA in that. Maybe if Lauren's had explained it, like he was drugged like in Scandal's book, it could have been understandable. But instead, it was all left unanswered. The Chase? Oh don't even start me on that one but at least Erin McCarthy tried to fix it in a later book. But still she left a bad taste with the ending of that book, one that even fixing it in another book wouldn't fix!

You don't go back and mess with a happy ending! Just my opinion :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 5:01:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2012 5:04:13 PM PDT
In the excerpt the heroine says she doesn't even tell her father she doesn't want to marry for a title, she doesn't want to put up a fuss and thinks he might not listen to her because he's very single minded but she never even tries.

As opposed to the hero who is threatened with ruin and possibly debtors prison for a title he doesn't want, for wealth he doesn't want and then loses the girl he loves and his sought career. He loses all his dreams and is tied to a life he doesn't want while the heroine wants to get out of her father's household and gain some freedom and that's exactly what she gains.

Neither of them married to have an heir, that's just what his guardian and her father want. Why should they have to sleep together and procreate for the wishes of two tyrants? Instead they becomes friends. The issue seems to be that she's secretly in love and wants more but never tells him and that's why she doesn't take lovers which he wouldn't object to.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 5:13:20 PM PDT
M.Nix, Did you ever read The Shattered Rose by Jo Beverly? The H is gone on crusade and the h is told he was killed. She not only beds another man, but they have a child. I don't think it was a long relationship, but when the H returns, his castle is under seige by his own father because the OM and h have closed it to him fearing he'll hurt the baby.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 5:26:13 PM PDT
The heroine in Shattered Rose hears he's been killed but doesn't believe it (no proof yet) when she commits adultery. She's mostly angry at God because their child died and broke their bargain (the one where she gets pregnant and her husband gets to go on the Crusades) and she's angry at herself so she does a very bad thing. She's a very complicated character who was lucky to be married to the most perfect of heroes. When he comes back his son is dead and his wife is shacked up in his home with her reported lover and their child.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 5:41:18 PM PDT
Vanessa,

I no longer read historicals and haven't for over 20 years. But, Ransom is one of my all time favorite books. Not only was Brodick a fabulous H but Gillian is a great h. She's feisty, smart, brave. I'm thinking I might be re-reading it tonight.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 7:22:20 PM PDT
bookaddict says:
M.Nix let me know what you think of it .I love reading every ones point of view and sometimes it even convinces me to try a book that I wouldn't try normally.
I don't like infidelity by H or h in my romance as I want them to have feelings only for each other.However ,that said ,its such a novelty for a h to take control of her life and sexuality that I wouldn't mind giving it a try just to get away from all the wimpy and pushover h's.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 7:28:38 PM PDT
bookaddict says:
Vanessa
This thread is opening my reading horizons so I will definitely give Ransom a go . Is it a straight romance or a betrayal book ? Just so I am prepared before I start .

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 7:58:20 PM PDT
Lillian Rose says:
As I usually do, I skimmed, so this book isn't out yet and there are bits and pieces of it around. I don't know but I think if I loved the H I could never, never, never talk about his mistress ex or future. Does this h love the H? Who brings up this conversation, surely not the H asking her advice, WT? Skillet please. I understand if it is a marriage of convenience and they are young, (I don't like it, I'm one of those that as soon as they meet they shouldn't go near anyone else) that he would have mistresses especially if he isn't bedding the h and as long as he is descrete. But for 8 years and discussing it with the h, I think I said WT. If I was the h I would turn around and say, okay I want a child now, then you can help me choose my lovers. It was standard that after the h gave the H a son that she could take lovers (as I said didn't like it but hey goose/gander), see how he would react. I don't think I could even go there with this book, why would I put myself through so much pain and angst - 8 years of him flaunting his mistresses in front of her and discussing it with her - what is heavier than a skillet?

Black/White area's :
They are married.
It wasn't the h's fault that they had to marry.(neither was it the H's) but there should be no blame for either.
They have to live together forever.
The H once married has access to all of the h's money. (I hope he doesn't spend it on his mistresses - this is a sore point with me)

Grey areas :
They are both very young.
The H loved another.
The H wanted a different career/life.
The h just wanted out of her fathers life.

WT area :
The H discussing his mistresses with h???????
Why wait 8YRS to bed the h???? (was he having such a good time with all his women - now that is a real grrrrr thought) This is a historical book by 24 she is an old lady, there would be talk about the women and about her not having a child.

No I won't be reading this book, maybe I'll just let you spoil it for me then decide. There will be a huge diatribe from me I can just see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 8:12:53 PM PDT
Lillian Rose says:
bookaddict, oh my you are so lucky, Brodick, I would probably suggest you read from the begining, you really won't be sorry. My fav hero would have to be Will from Morning Glory by LaVyrle Spencer, I think I am about to swoon, Will and Brodick in the same post it's just tooooo much for me, no it's not I'll have a smile on my face all day now.
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  491
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jan 30, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 27, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 96 customers

Search Customer Discussions