Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Worst Betrayl Ever!!!

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010 5:14:48 AM PST
Saki says:
Hi misty9, sorry- I'm not actually American. I'm Filipina :) We have our fair share of corruption though, I mean look at that massacre in Maguindanao.

Posted on Feb 9, 2010 6:21:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2010 9:53:34 AM PST
smccoy says:
MyCat,
You don't have to apologize to me,LOL. We all have the right to like/dislike different themes. I don't usually like cheating in a book and don't condone it. Did you read Sinful? Just wondering, since there is so much leading up to "the betrayal". The heroine and her family are pretty bad to the hero. I think the author was showing how the hero dealt with being trapped and beaten nearly to death. I almost couldn't blame the hero in this one. You just have to read the story to understand what I'm saying. If you have, then you'll know what all happened in the book.
Seized by Love was different for me, since I couldn't stand the hero(way too arrogant) or the way he cheated(or almost?) it's been so long since I read that one. I finished it, but it was one I won't read again.
I like the more emotional angsty books that are well written. I can't stand Silver Devil or Stormfire, but some books can handle cheating, depending on the storyline. There are very few, imo.
Shelby
Edited: Sorry, didn't mean to add Silver Devil to the cheating list, just thought it was a horrible book, like I thought Stormfire was. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010 8:00:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2010 8:04:08 AM PST
S.McCoy, agreed.

If you trick someone into marriage you're not exactly deserving of fidelity. If your family beats someone nearly to death in order to marry you then common courtesy let alone fidelity is more than you should hope for. I don't see marriage as a wipe the slate clean/get out of jail free card for any earlier offenses. A tricked or forced vow IMO is worthless.

Then there are the books with extreme emotional abuse or rape er "forceful seduction" that I find much much harder to reconcile with a HEA and forgiveness than I do with most infidelity. (I'd say impossible but a skilled author can make me accept a lot I wouldn't normally) But for some those scenarios are favorites. To each their own.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010 8:03:54 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 9, 2010 8:14:28 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010 8:50:20 AM PST
Y. Collum says:
I would just like to point out that the hero in Silver Devil never cheated on the heroine, in fact he never even looked at another woman after the heroine came into his life and was never physically abusive to her apart from forcing her the first time. The book is nothing like Stormfire where the hero behaved terribly to the heroine! I have read silver devil several times and it is one of my favourite books, however I have only read Stormfire once and found it both enthralling and horrifying at the same time. I would not look forward to reading it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010 10:23:39 AM PST
LuvGirl,
I so agree with you -
There are so many great reads - like Seized by Love and Sinful, that would be missed if I had my personal censorship wall up. It's the whole story that matters to me; I too can handle the cheating hero in a good story too as long as there is a HEA.

Each romance reader approaches a book in his or her own way.
Cheating in a historical is often in keeping with the social mores of the time, but is in conflict with 21st century readers.

Marriages were business arrangements, betrothals from the cradle - that sort of thing and the lady wife's role was clear. It was expected that the husband would have mistresses to serve his baser needs. So betrayal isn't exactly the most accurate term in those cases. Besides the wives often found lovers on the side as well. It was what is was.

On the other hand, this stuff occuring in the modern age is another kettle of fish. Remember the whole Charles & Diana& Camilla mess?
Any book read about that relationship certainly constituted betrayal and it wasn't even fiction!!

Posted on Feb 9, 2010 2:18:03 PM PST
Paradise was a big one...if you havent read you have to!!!

Tempt me tonight by Toni Blake was a good one, first love betrayed.

Line of Scrimmage by Marie Force....heartbreaker!!

Posted on Feb 9, 2010 7:18:23 PM PST
Navi says:
Lisa - would you mind telling me more about the betrayal in Line of Scrimmage?? I love sports-themed books!

Nita

Posted on Feb 10, 2010 9:23:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2010 9:24:17 PM PST
Ashlee says:
Perfect Sin by Kat Martin - worst betrayal ever. Cheating on your wife because you couldn't handle the stress of helping her through a miscarriage? Worst. Hero.

Bold Angel by Kat Martin - hero cheats on the heroine (his wife) by going back to his mistress when he feels like he's caring about his wife too much *gag* and the heroine walks in on them in bed together the next morning.

Thank goodness Kat Martin has recently said that she's learned her lesson and lost too many readers after writing cheaters, so she has no plans to write anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2010 9:56:17 PM PST
MyCat says:
Ashlee - thank you, thank you, thank you for the heads up on the 2 Kat Martin books.

Would you (or anyone know) if her books: Bride's Necklace, Devil's Prize and Silk & Steel has any cheating coz the books are in my list to look out for at the used book store.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2010 10:06:30 PM PST
Ashlee says:
You're welcome! Yep, I've read nearly all of KM's books (except her out of print copies and her newest trilogy - I'm waiting for all of them to be released first). The only other book that has cheating is THE DREAM which is a contemporary and it's debatable whether it's cheating or not. I consider it, completely so. The hero goes to his ex girlfriend and they start in on some foreplay and the heroine catches them. Later in the book, when the hero decides he's had enough of the heroine, he attempts to break it off and then goes off and sleeps with the ex. Since they were technically broken up, some fans say it was okay, but the H/h loved each other so I found it unforgivable.

Bride's Necklace is very good - the hero actually thinks the heroine is cheating on him (she's not and her innocence is proven by the end of the book). I prefer the second book in the necklace trilogy a tiny bit more, but this one was a keeper for me and I've reread it more than once.

Devil's Prize - it's been forever since I've read it, but I know there's no cheating, I just don't remember the story. It is the last in a trilogy - the first being GYPSY LORD which has the hero telling the heroine that he doesn't want her and he goes to a brothel, but he ends up realizing what he's throwing away and comes back and tries to make it up to the heroine. Very powerful scene and a great heroine who goes as far as throwing things at the hero when he tries to apologize - I can always admire a woman who throws something breakable at the idiot hero until he gets some sense knocked into him Lol!

Silk & Steel - One of my first Kat Martin reads and it's a very good book. A powerful ending, which I've reread several times over the years, and a very unique historical heroine who is fascinated by surgery and studies medicine/surgical procedures/etc. which irritates the hero a lot.

Have you read HEARTLESS? That is my favorite of her books and one of my all-time favorites of any author. The hero isn't a cheater - he does think the heroine cheats on him (which leads to some amazing scenes) but the truth comes out fairly quickly. I highly recommend it. That one and NIGHT SECRETS are the two KM's I tend to rec the most :).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2010 10:25:09 PM PST
MyCat says:
Thanks again, Ashlee. I picked up her titles from various threads here in Amazon (I believe the hero has to grovel in all 3 books - my fav theme provided there's no cheating/adultery!) but it's great to know the plot in advance. Will definitely add Heartless and Night Secrets to my list (which is now abt 10 feet long!!!!)

Posted on Feb 10, 2010 11:59:28 PM PST
Twin of Ice by Jude Deveraux - twin sisters switch places for an evening and sister sleeps with other sister's fiance. Even though it turned out fine, I just couldn't get past the betrayl and could never bring myself to read the sister's story Twin Of Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2010 11:31:53 AM PST
SuzyQ says:
Both of those Kat Martin heroes p***sed me off so much!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2010 1:30:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2010 1:35:42 PM PST
I loved Twin Of Fire. I never felt bad for the "betrayal" strongly since the first sister is the one that wanted to change places and slip off and spend time with another man (who she was hot for) and evidently didn't want or appreciate the fiance. Changing places not to be with him showed a gross lack of caring and respect and I considered that a betrayal. That's a trick to play in school on a teacher - not on someone you're supposed to love - let alone marry. When you play with emotions to that degree uncontrollable things might happen and you might get burned. The fiance was the only person who had a right to be angry.

Of course I read Twin Of Fire first so may have felt differently the other way round but as it stood I didn't much care for the Ice sister or her pairing. The battling enemies into lovers and the fact that both were Drs and intellectually well matched in a historical also made Twin Of Fire far more appealing to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2010 9:06:41 PM PST
mys_reader says:
Ok, as for Kingdom of Dreams - everyone is boo-hooing about the hero's poor HORSE. What about the heroine's younger BROTHER? The hero MURDERED him in front of her! This, after dragging her off and forcing her to marry him!

Sorry. I have no sympathy for him. She should have held strong.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2010 11:02:56 PM PST
If I recall it was his brother who kidnapped her as a hostage against her murderous father and the King who forced them to marry and she wasn't exactly adverse to the latter (or to him at all).

I felt horrid about the brother dying. I liked him as a character (more than the heroine though not as much as the horse - a horse that tried to warn her but that she ignored) but it wasn't murder. It was an accident - a culmination of horrible circumstances where everyone was on edge and paranoid, though in his case with good reason. Her family did want him dead so he was right to be on alert - and her brother did have a knife because he was also fearful - and it ended in tragedy. If she couldn't have forgiven him for that I'd have understood - not because he was in the wrong but because right or wrong there are some things you can't live with.

But to takes sides against him at the tournament - worse to side with her poisonous family who always treated her like garbage? To have him almost beat to death because he'd sworn not to hurt any more of her "beloved" family? How much stronger should she have held? She should have let him die to protect her delusional familial feelings?

I know he's just a man and ergo being almost beaten to death is no biggie - not like when a heroine gets slapped or hit but ... oops ran out of sarcasm and that rant belongs in the pet peeve topic ... but her kneeling and showing her allegiance was the least she could have done.

Posted on Feb 17, 2010 12:24:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2010 12:39:40 AM PST
okan79 says:
Dark Wager by Mary Spencer. It is really hard to read in some parts but ultimately has a HEA...really good read.

Also The Sweet Gum Tree by Katherine Allred, this is a brilliant book...

Posted on Feb 17, 2010 6:17:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2010 6:19:20 PM PST
Hi all:

I am listening to BEYOND THE HIGHLAND MIST (which I read a few yrs ago). At the end Adrienne betrays Hawk by leaving and going with (icky) Adam. It looks like betrayal to Hawk because SPOILER..........................................they were about to get married in a special way to protect her and she says she doesn't love him. But....Hawk doesn't know that Adam has threatened to KILL everybody at the castle that she loves. She only goes with Adam to save them. Adam would not let her explain because HE IS EVIL....BIG TIME! Adam just wanted to crush the Hawk...for revenge. Of course they will get their HEA
Pam

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2010 6:26:57 PM PST
T. Smith says:
Wait until you read Adam's book.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2010 12:16:02 PM PST
Doreen says:
TX, Romance,
Are you enjoying BTHM? I skipped that book because I was advised the heroine was very annoying. Also, Adam became one of my favorite characters. I'm not sure I want to read a story where he's evil.

Posted on Feb 18, 2010 1:27:49 PM PST
In Adam's defence... Ab.. Av... whatever the queen of the Sidhe's name was, had tantalized him and her consort by alluding to Hawk's superior performance abilities, therefore at least a good portion of his behavior was motivated by jealousy. Knowing how the male ego seems to exist in its entirety below the belt, it was a bit understandable. I too felt her a bit annoying (she's one of those who, having suffered a lapse in judgement of epic proportions - falling for some good looking sleazeball in this case - blames someone else. In this case, she blames any male who is "easy on the eyes")

Posted on Feb 18, 2010 1:39:21 PM PST
Hi all:
She was a pain about good looking guys but....she was terribly betrayed by Eberhard in her past.

T. Smith: I know all about Adam and his book, I read that a few yrs ago too. I love this whole series!!!! I do fall for Adam in his book. But he was Soooo EVil in BTHM and listening to Phil read it is almost spooky! You REALLY HATE him in this book. But...I think it IS a Great book because you love Hawk and his MOM. GREAT!
Pam

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2010 1:47:14 PM PST
Sprite says:
so a lot of threads have mentioned Phil reading KMM's Highlander series...should I read the books or listen to them?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2010 6:24:11 PM PST
Melanie says:
Sprite, do both! Either way, I know will love this series.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
20 Jan 4, 2016
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
152 6 days ago
The Angstiest Harlequins Ever or at least for now..... 174 28 minutes ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 3756 1 hour ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #5 356 1 hour ago
CELIBATE HEROES (not virgin heros!) updated list 307 1 hour ago
Free Today Third Edition 1333 1 hour ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 3575 3 hours ago
HP Discussion thread number 2 665 4 hours ago
Can you stop reading romance novels and feel fine? 87 4 hours ago
Fans of k-dramas... please help 5054 4 hours ago
Hero who is savage+feared= not fit for society 17 5 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  491
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jan 30, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 27, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 99 customers

Search Customer Discussions