Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Badly Behaving Authors

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 10000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 23, 2012 1:08:10 PM PDT
Obviously, there are still scads of them around. Why quit shaming them now?

Here's HJ's Original Post (the OP) from the Original Thread (no--don't abbreviate it to OT--that's Off Topic).

"I've experienced this. You may have experienced. MANY have experienced it.

You read a book and leave an honest review, maybe not a good review, but honest. After all, you want to let other potential readers know what they might be getting themselves into. That IS the purpose of a book review, after all. To give one's opinion about said book. Reviews are for readers, not for authors.

Let's say that again. Reviews are for readers, not for authors.

We all know that opinions are subjective. Not everyone always agrees, but opinions are usually (not always, though) relevant for someone determining whether or not they'd be interested in investing their time reading something.

So...having said all that (apologies if it was long-winded), there are occasions when a reviewer or commenter is chastised - by the AUTHOR! *mumbles under breath, `wrong, disgraceful, unprofessional, inappropriate, and immature...'*

Occasionally, a wise author realizes their mistake, apologizes and retreats once this has been pointed out. Rarely, but it DOES happen. And they may even take to heart the complaints and go about fixing the issues. To those authors, I applaud you and thank you.

Much more frequently, unwise authors make a line in the sand and begin a barrage of insults and nasty posts, even taking the battle to blogs and other venues to gripe that someone had the nerve NOT to like their book. Do they not realize that they are participating in their own defeat? Of course not. They have blinders on and are unable to recognize that the readers - ALL readers, not just the ones who praise them - are paying/potential customers who hold the author's success in the palms of their hands.

Likewise, many of those same authors (but certainly not limited to) send spam across threads and get belligerent or even lie when confronted by posters informing them of Amazon's Terms of Service.

Well then.

Has this happened to you? Have you witnessed it? Have you been a defender of a reader who has been attacked?

Let's hear it."

P.S. Anyone have time to make 9,998 book recommendations?

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 1:19:30 PM PDT
Let's roll.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 1:22:33 PM PDT
Why 9,998 recommendations?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 1:30:10 PM PDT
He's referring to the previous BBA thread which ended prematurely because of a brute force effort by a hydra-headed troll to spam the discussion with literally hundreds of nonsensical posts, including many for joke books.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 2:27:04 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Wow, thanks you guys for starting up thread #2. Appreciate it!

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 4:25:31 PM PDT
I'll start with our featured author and editor of the day:

Author Eddie F. Browning self-reviews his own book:
Pok'along in the Valley of the Digadoos

Editor Candace Sinclair reviews books she edited:

How I Published My Book And Sold Thousands Of Copies

Grace Encounters: A Bible Study

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 4:28:52 PM PDT
Also featured today is the enterprising author/reviewer Nash Blake who has apparently self-promoted his own book to most or all of his 1,358 reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/AN8C7BGR98HLN/ref=cm_cr_pr_auth_rev?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 4:43:17 PM PDT
"Nash Blake who has apparently self-promoted his own book to most or all of his 1,358 reviews."

Ugh. One gets the sense that he reviews *to* promote.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 7:23:38 PM PDT
peachbird76 says:
Thanks Scottbooks for starting this thread so quickly.
Despite the best efforts from some seriously disturbed trolls the thread is more relevant now than ever.
They do say it's best to get straight back on the horse after falling off.
So giddy up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 7:47:40 PM PDT
Let's make it Pegasus so we can fly above the nastiness!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 8:07:58 PM PDT
peachbird76 says:
I agree

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 12:04:50 PM PDT
Winter says:
Thank you, Lg. Note that Candace links to her own book in her review (second link of the two)

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 1:03:21 PM PDT
Winter says:
Author places his link to his work of fiction at the start of his review for a non fiction reference and then types the name of his book at the end.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1IZC495KOYAKC/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1432716255&nodeID=283155&store=books#wasThisHelpful

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 1:13:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 1:13:58 PM PDT
Winter says:
Did you see this author's screen name?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AQRYNJ1PZ24UE/ref=cm_cr_rdp_pdp

edited to correct link

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 1:55:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 1:56:11 PM PDT
I reported abuse.

ETA: But you know how ineffective that is. If it isn't gone by the end of day, I would suggest an email to Author Central.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 2:03:50 PM PDT
Ammy has taken some action in the old BBA. Scroll a few posts down. They've deleted nearly everything from this point to the end.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg395?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdPage=395&cdThread=Tx2NRTV45YTG5BC

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 2:08:21 PM PDT
What. The. Hell.

I hadn't even checked that discussion the last day or so, what the heck happened? The last couple of pages are just blank.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 2:41:52 PM PDT
They purposely went in to derail and end the thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 3:33:52 PM PDT
They weren't aware you could just....make a new thread?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 5:02:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 5:02:13 PM PDT
Jared Foster says:
They're trolls. . .no one ever said they were bright. Yeah, I'm back. Back in black. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 5:17:36 PM PDT
That's good and bad. After all, they DID illustrate BBA's to a "T".

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 5:37:51 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 8:26:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 8:28:16 PM PDT
Winter says:
G. Faso says:
The intention was more shock and awe, Mr.Foster

"Shock and Awe (technically known as rapid dominance) is a military doctrine based on the use of overwhelming power, dominant battlefield awareness, dominant maneuvers, and spectacular displays of force to paralyze an adversary's perception of the battlefield and destroy its will to fight. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_and_awe

So once again, by every conceivable measure, the trolls completely failed. The trolls did what losers do - they lost.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 8:30:38 PM PDT
Can we move on and quit giving the trolls what they want?

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 8:40:07 PM PDT
Here's an apparent case of greedy sockpuppetry for discussion. 24 reviews averaging 4.5 stars (including a 3-star for appearances sake), all but one are 1 1/2 to 2 line reviews, all written in the same-sounding not native English style and all have only reviewed this one book or all three books by the same author. (Oh, except one who wrote one other book review in French, which might explain the ESL sound of the reviews.)

THE INNOCENCE (A Thriller)

Here are some highlights:

<<I just close it having read the last page and I find it hard to get rid
it is one of those books with you ....>>

<<As soon as you plunge your head in this book you cannot see the time passing. >>

<<it is a simply fine book to read, with the Story exciting. >>

<<The story in this book made ''me vibrated until the last page. It was really a pleasure, thank you for this good time! >>

<<all that I can say,that it is truly regrettable if I have left passed this book. it was satisfying with a writing style much fluid and simple.>>

<<The story is well written with a talent to knowledge to make a kind of thriller.>>

<<This book does more than make you want to eat him.>>

<<I highly recommend this book if only for the quality of English. It's pretty rare in ebooks so it deserves to be stressed''. >>

<<I liked this book I didn't drop all the way! >>

<<I am more than satisfied with this book which is written in good style and that really brought me a great moment of excitement.>>

<<We plunge headlong into this novel, which takes hooks from the 1st page. >>

<<I really enjoyed myself and was not able to release the story, the plot is involved, when we started it no longer drops. >>

<<I encourage the author to grow as it has potential.>>

Then I looked at the Author page which has some of this same odd style of writing:

<<You don't regret to read some of his short stories and why not all his books? Isn't it? Enjoy it!>>

So, I looked within and, even more oddly, the chapters all start with a title and indicate "by Daniel Hutchins". The author's (pen)name is Ruddy Richardson. I didn't find any information about an author named Daniel Hutchins.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  214
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jun 23, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions