Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Are Pamela Clare books all graphic?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 5, 2012 1:56:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2012 2:03:32 AM PDT
SunFlowers says:
I've been waiting on Ride the Fire on Kindle for awhile now. I see PC getting a lot of hype but this book just sounded like a historical I'd like to read.

Now, I just got Sweet Release free and I'm rethinking that. Yes, it's called Sweet Release but I didn't realize it would be so smutty.

Is Pamela Clare known for such graphic sex scenes? Graphic for me is mentions of buds, swollen breasts and nipples swinging and swaying more than a pendulum. It's just unnecessary and a hell of a lot of cheese.

I started reading and the mention of the hero's whore/mistress's red taut nipples, creamy breasts and swaying with her movements made my eyes roll like marbles so I skimmed and knew it would be kind of nasty for my tastes and I was right. I did a search for buds and good grief. Next to the highlighted word bud is a session of taut, tender swollen and sensitive.

Should I let go of wanting to read Ride the Fire? I refuse to keep waiting to read something that will consist of read about taut candy colored, fire engine red nipples and swollen buds about to burst and thick swollen manhoods.

Rereading about Ride the Fire I'm guessing the hero there is the son of the H and h in Sweet Release. So have I answered my own question? With way Nicholas' dad was dipping his fingers all in his mom like she was a tub of icing and squeezing and pulling her buds and crap I'd imagine Nicolas will up be like dear old dad.

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 2:03:19 AM PDT
Lissie B says:
I can't help you. I haven't read this author before. But I enjoy smut...so thanks for the tip! I am purchasing now. :-)

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 2:04:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2012 2:05:07 AM PDT
SunFlowers says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 2:10:00 AM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Sunflowers - Pretty much most romance novels today contain some level of graphic sex in them. Pamela Clare is no different from the other mainstream authors out there.

For myself, graphic sex is not offensive, particularly in a romance novel. If I wanted to avoid it, I would read inspirational romance and avoid regular romance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 2:21:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2012 2:26:27 AM PDT
SunFlowers says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 3:55:19 AM PDT
Susan says:
I read a good number of her historicals awhile back. I found them a few degrees hotter than books other authors have been putting out. So, in answer to your question, yes, her books appear to all be rather graphic.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 4:16:56 AM PDT
Mo says:
I definitely wouldn't regard Pamela as "smutty". They might be a bit graphic for some but I think they are very well written. I, for one, cannot wait for Ride the Fire to come out on Kindle!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 12:28:57 PM PDT
SunFlowers says:
Thank you. Ride the Fire is so off the list. I've danced around a lot of Erin McCarthy books and in reading reviews for a lot of them I notice at least a few people always point out that her sex scenes are pretty graphic.

The plots sound great but a turn by turn of how swollen, thick and creamy body parts are and stuff is gross to me. I love sexy, sensual scenes that show the passion and I can close my eyes and feel the intense of the moment. Not to be taken out of the scene because the heroine is hissing like a cat encountering a dog and her nectar dripping in a puddle.

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 5:14:30 PM PDT
SunFlowers - I think this is going to be a matter of opinion/taste - I've read several Pamela Clare and never noticed her sex scenes/descriptions of body parts any different than anyone else - I am kind of amazed to see you describe them as smutty. Certainly no different than Lisa Kleypas's sex scenes (have you ever read Suddenly You?!). I think if you read historical romances expecting that they "will be more emotions and less cheesy technical" you'll be in for a surprise! Not sure what your tastes are in romance, but if you are looking for sweeter love scenes, perhaps Julia Quinn might work for you? And yes, Erin McCarthy is easily as graphic in her writing as what you described above (as a protege of Lori Foster's, her writring is definitely in the rated R+ catagory).

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 7:21:08 PM PDT
Reviewer Aus says:
SunFlowers - you do realise authors who don't write Inspirational Romance often get in trouble from their publishers for not making their books steamy enough? This is the world we live in, and writing an author off because their amazing books have a few steamy scenes in them (and then proceeding to imply people who read them are filthy) doesn't seem fair.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 7:25:30 PM PDT
But inspirational romance is heavy on the other kind of cheese and usually without any sexual tension. So many are so poorly written, I can't handle them. Any ideas for a happy medium--a good story without excessive nipple rubbing?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 7:28:14 PM PDT
Hilarious and right on point. When you find some good authors let me know. Now if you love sexy, sensual scenes that stir the plot without the "nectar" try any and all Judith Ivory. She is likely the best romance author I have ever read. Steam, but no cheese.

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 7:39:38 PM PDT
beachbaby says:
SunFlowers,

You probably should steer clear from Pamela Clare books.

Have you seen this thread? http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx3851AAZDTYE83
I can't vouch for the books mentioned on that thread but the OP did ask for books that are not so steamy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 8:28:45 PM PDT
SunFlowers says:
Steam but no cheese, LOL. Steam + cheese is like the only cooking directions for romance novels.

it's me, booklover! I read Suddenly You a long time ago and honestly don't remember much. I still have it in my archives and did some searching through it and holy **** I certainly don't remember reading the hero literally shoving raspberries up the heroine's hoo ha only to scoop them back out with his mouth. That make work in today's world but that poor woman probably got a hell of a yeast infection. Food on the body not in the body!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 10:00:31 PM PDT
Just think of all the things you miss when you skip the sex scenes. I'm just so bored with them that it takes a really good character connection to make me even read them. Speaking of steam and cheese...with hygiene issues completely ignored in historical romances, I bet some of these situations would be avoided because likely the heroine smelled like streamy cheese (v raspberries). What kind of 19th century virgin would even conceive of a BJ- a risky bet even in our century if one has a sensitive nose? I'm thinking the traditional missionary position was a matter of self preservation. bad bedroom scenes, I can skip, but bad dialogue turns my stomach as well. I'm listening to an audio book by Heather Graham right now and it is such torture that I scream out loud for them to gag the villain. There isn't anything like an audiobook to separate out good literature from bad. It makes the "cheese" smell worse.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 2:28:18 PM PDT
I looooooove Pamela Clare. Her books are so good at plot lines, depth of characters, intrigue. She does have steamy sections but they add so much to the story. These are men and women who are so in love with each other that to leave out sex(which binds most humans to their mates) does a disservice to the reader. If you really are put off by this then by all means don't read her but I found her on one of these discussions and love her books so much I have them on my Kindle and in paperback. She has two entirely different story lines. One is contemporary and the other historical. I don't read hist so can't discuss those but I am crazy about her contemps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 6:28:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2012 6:30:27 PM PDT
SunFlowers says:
I don't dislike sex scenes at ALL but I don't need 15 pages and colorful words that ruin the "binding human connection" with stupidity.

I'm taken out of the mood and feeling when words like nectar are thought. The cheesy purple prose is a c***block for me in romance novels. I just need the hero to think "nipples" then go to town. I don't need him thinking about how pebbly they are (dude I KNOW they get hard when aroused! STFU) I don't need to know how dusky, candy colored, red and aching they are. Just STFU and go to town.

It's like an idiot just talking and talking and talking during sex ruining your approaching finish. STFU on all the cheesy stuff!

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 6:46:58 PM PDT
PC has the I-Team series. The women work for a newpaper in Colo and dig up facts about corruption. There are some really bad guys in these books but the Hs are not them. They are the men the women fall in love with. One is a state senator, another a cop etc. The books are in order and say so on her site. Try the first one. It is about the senator and it is very steamy in places but was so well written that I believed in her characters and why they acted the way they did. PC was a reporter and you can tell she has a good grounding in grammer. Makes reading her so much easier than trying to get your mind around poor writing and still hang onto the plot. BTW if I made any grammatical mistakes it is because I HATED diagramming sentences in the third grade and I never said I could spell worth a darn but I expect authors to do so.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 7:01:26 PM PDT
Doreen says:
SunFlowers, I'm not sure if you really want some recs for less graphic love scenes or if you started this post to describe the purple prose you've read because you've mentioned it in nearly every post you've made (and by the way, I think your descriptions are snarky & funny).
Lynn Kurland comes to mind as an author who has closed door love scenes.
I myself am a fan of the graphic descriptions especially when well-developed characters and intense feelings are involved ;)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Jun 5, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions