Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

WHY not "older" YA books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 18, 2012 8:05:36 AM PDT
SunFlowers says:
I was reading the clip on the Amazon homepage and then the link to Jessica Park's blog and this bugged me. It's been bugging me for awhile.

Why isn't 18 to 25 popular?

As a late 20 something I really don't care much for YA books. Why? Well I don't really care about the puppy love shenanagains of kids in high school, drama at the lockers, the lunch table, etc. I prefer adult romance but sometimes I don't like the responsibilities.

18-25 is the best fit I think. 1. they can do whatever they want. Julie doesn't have daddy telling her she can't do out with Kaylen because she's 17 and lives in his house and she's not a minor. 18+ are on their own. No adults and so much more freeing.

2. there's no set responsilbilities and real world thoughts. Not really.

A 22 year old girl isn't listening to her bio clock worrying abot babies. The hero isn't some rich suit CEO. He doesn't have to be a keg chugging Animal House frat boy but he's just as confused about how he wants to transition after 25 as the girl.

It's "young" like a kid yet not "old" like the rest of us, bill paying, 401k, taxes taking out chunks of our pay and taking care of the house, SO, kids, getting older mom and dad, being the sandwich adult where you have your teens approaching 20 somethings then you have to deal with taking care of your getting elderly parents too.

WHY isn't this age group more popular? I understand wanting to just jump them into adult romance and making them older but why do they have to be?

It's great not being a minor YA yet not of age to have the "you're an adult" 18-25 is still REALLY kiddie. The ones I know which is a lot act like the under 17s yet they're of age like the "older adult" romance people.

The perfect in between.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 11:06:04 AM PDT
Wyldberry says:
I never understood why there aren't more books with this age range. I would love to read about University age characters, seems to me that there is sooo much storyline potential there.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 11:14:07 AM PDT
Delin Colon says:
The Choice

Check out "The Choice" by T.O. Bolseen. It's a romance, with the heroine a young woman of 19. It fits into both general adult and YA categories. Check out my review on it. It's a wonderful story.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 11:27:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2012 11:29:48 AM PDT
Adnana says:
This age group (early twenties) is extremely popular in Harlequin Presents, or at least was, until a few years ago; Michelle Reid, Lynne Graham, Sarah Morgan, they all put the heroine in this age bracket. The hero, of course, was the older (in his early-to-mid thirties), sophisticate tycoon.
Even the extremely (in)famous (of late) "Fifty Shades" Trilogy and "Bared to You" series have very young twenty-something heroines.
If anything, there is a huge gap for the late thirties & forties age bracket -- Kristen Ashley is the only author I know that writes about this age group.
ETA: Not to be misunderstood though, I myself am in my early twenties and prefer to read about heroines closer to my own age.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 11:31:56 AM PDT
i think a lot of this gap can be attributed to how YA fiction have developed over the last decade or so - when I was growing up, there really wasn't a YA genre (early 90's), so its been developing over the last few years, and now the writers/readers who 5 years ago when it really started getting popular were in their mid/early teens are getting to the late teens/early 20's - so I would expect to maybe see more books in that age range begin appearing more regularly

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 10:16:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2012 10:18:03 AM PDT
SunFlowers says:
Exactly! It seems like a gold mine. Old enough to where they don't have restrictions that high school YA's do yet not old enough to where they can get away with a lot more than older adult romance ages can. Or at least they can do stuff and not be seen as stupid.

Tons of romances have 30 somethings acting like their 19 and it's stupid. Just make them 19.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 8:59:14 PM PDT
M.L. says:
Agreed. Part of me wants to still enjoy YA, b/c I sometimes want a break from some of the drama and themes in romances for adults. But I'm bored by high school drama and the restrictions of people still living at home with their parents. Not only do I wish there was more fiction about people in their early twenties, but I'd love to see more fiction with a college/university setting.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 9:34:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2012 9:34:56 PM PDT
Ditto on all counts! Some authors who write college-age characters call their books Mature YA, and one publisher keeps trying to make "New Adult" fly, but no dice. I think the main issue is that twenty-something characters are associated with chick-lit--the Cosmo-reading, shoe-addicted, clumsy type. It could also be because teens don't want to read about the uncertainties of early adulthood (since they can't wait to go to college and party and live on their own=fun!) and thirty, forty-somethings don't want to relive that time in their life (since when you're a teenager, you don't have worry about bills and a job and thinking about marriage=freedom!).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 10:08:54 PM PDT
SunFlowers says:
Yes! All of this! I'm so over high school drama. Was over it since I left it. But still having this young yet independent but not totally in need of responsibility is great.

I hope publishers get with the program. It's funny. No one sticks to their genre anyway. I look at TV and see this. I know 5 year olds watching iCarly. Now to me, teenagers in middle and high school should be watching that not babies. But teens and preteens are watching Jersey Shore and shows the young adults watch.

Teens would so read about college age kids. They can't wait until they're out of the house and free in college but still young enough to where if they screw up they can still run home. After you're 27 you're too old to run home and have mom and dad pay for your apartment. At 20 it's acceptable. You still can't drive! You're older and an adult but still young enough to get bailed out of stupidity and still young enough to be in that "it's okay, you'll learn"
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
24 17 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
152 Feb 5, 2016
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 4347 11 minutes ago
Loan Me Thread V. 7 1218 18 minutes ago
Need a good historical romance 46 26 minutes ago
Dear book buying confessional........ 9732 32 minutes ago
Well Hung! When Size Does Matter 501 38 minutes ago
Silhouette Desire - To quote "Touch And Go" - Lets go straight to No.1 2460 1 hour ago
Three good books about ow 8 1 hour ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 3916 1 hour ago
Freebies that you've read - Good and Bad 1507 1 hour ago
The Best KU romance - full novels only please 196 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jun 18, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions