Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Loaning an ebook

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 15, 2012 4:53:02 PM PDT
Eileen says:
I would like to loan one of my books to a friend and carefully read the "instructions"... manage my kindle; click on the book; choose "Loan the title"; and it keeps telling me that I have to go to the Amazon.com "HOME" site... did that... start over... same thing...HELP! and thanks in advance...seems like a simple enough task.. but of course.. not really!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 5:02:55 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Try pulling the book up on it's product page. (on the 'search' function at the top of the page, drop down menu - click on Kindle, and then type the book name) If you see 'loan this book' at the top of the product page, click on it and it will take you to the lending screen.

If it doesn't allow you to lend, it's highly possible that the book you want to lend is not lendable. Lendable books are in the minority.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 7:11:27 AM PDT
Eileen says:
Thanks HJ for your reply... I just spent 10 mins going over every single possible way to lend the book..and btw, while in Manage Your Kindle, and I click on the "action" button to the right of the title, "Loan this Title" is an option... You're right about those books being in the minority... I guess I've discovered that only 2 of the books I've purchased so far can be loaned!!!.. That being said, I keep getting message to go to Amazon.com... which obviously is what I've been doing the whole time... but I did as you suggest...search... etc... there is no where in the books description, no matter how I pull it up, that says Loan:Enabled... as the Amazon instructions explain... so at a loss right now..and so frustrated... not the end of the world... but frustrating none the less... thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 7:12:43 AM PDT
CyMac says:
What's the title of the book you're attempting to lend, if you don't mind sharing? More eyes to help and all that. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 7:36:10 AM PDT
Eileen says:
Thanks for responding!.... The book is "On The Island" by Tracey Garvis Graves... thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 7:59:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 8:05:44 AM PDT
CyMac says:
I can't say for sure, but here's what I suspect happened. When I look in MMK, my title "On the Island" offers the loan option as well, but when you click on it, you get directed to the Amazon oops page. Initially, when the book was first released, it was lendable. However, if you look at the page for "On the Island" now, there's a publication date of 6/7/2012. It's possible the writer has a new publisher now, or her publishing company just rereleased it. Whichever the case, with the newer release, lending rights have been removed. The same occurred with the 50 trilogy and Bared to You by Sylvia Day. Publishers giveth....and they taketh away, at their discretion. :)

So, you're not crazy, you don't need to schedule a checkup with the optometrist - the game was changed on you. :)

ETA - If it's a good friend, you can always add them to your account, even briefly, and they can download the title to their Kindle/app. The book can be used on multiple reading apps simultaneously, which is a neat advantage over lending. You can read it together; it's certainly worth a reread. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 8:09:44 AM PDT
Eileen says:
CyMac.... Thank you so much... I guess we can never be sure of what we think we see!!! Can you tell me what "X-Ray" means in the Product info... b/c when I just checked in there on another book (unowned at this time) I saw that was "Not Enabled"... is that category the same as "loaning"? Thanks again for your help...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 8:46:09 AM PDT
CyMac says:
No, X-ray doesn't have anything to do with lending, and it's not available for every Kindle/book.

Here's what I learned from Goggle:

The feature is called X-Ray, and it builds on the Kindle's reputation for solid integration of reference tools, namely a way to look up outside information that doesn't completely disturb the eReading experience.

Here's how it works. While reading through a novel on Kindle (we assume it will appear on all Kindle readers, not just the Touch), users can touch a word to launch either a dictionary definition or a more in-depth explanation from Wikipedia. During his demo at today's Amazon press event, Bezos explored the X-Ray feature by looking up "Versailles Treaty" in the novel Remains of the Day. Immediately after he tapped the highlighted text, a floating window appeared above the book copy and displayed copy explaining that the Treaty of Versailles was made at the end of World War I.

While many eReaders link directly to web-based reference libraries, Amazon's solution is different. As Bezos explains in the video below, X-Ray does not connect to the internet to retrieve information at Wikipedia.com. Instead, every book purchase will now include a small file pre-loaded with relevant Wikipedia content (and other information). When users look up outside information, that additional file is accessed, not the Internet.

You can see the videos at: http://blog.laptopmag.com/video-amazon-kindle-touchs-x-ray-reference-tool-makes-ereading-easier.

Thanks for asking, because I didn't realize what my Fire was doing when I saw the floating window, lol. I just knew it was providing more info while I was reading. I guess I didn't care how, I only cared that it did w/o any extra work on my part. Reading on my Kindle makes me a lazy cat, for sure. :)

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 9:44:22 AM PDT
Eileen says:
CyMac: Well, you have certainly gone to great lengths to help me with my question! Thank you so much... I will check out the video you reference. I do use the dictionary a lot while reading.... since much of what I read is historical novels.. and I try to keep up with the meaning of period words... not sure it I understand the "floating window"... sometimes a word in the available dictionary does not seem to have "a definition"... but I do enjoy learning the meanings of words used in the time period.... thank you again... so finally, I didn't see that a particular book had a loan:Enabled/Not Enabled in the product description. All this won't change my reading... I find when I do read a "real" book.... I so want to "touch" a word for the handy "dictionary"... very frustrating not to be there... no I don't run to the "real" dictionary on my bookshelf... now if I could levitate it to my lap... maybe that would work... but... yes, the lazy cat...!..thanks so much for you help

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 3:27:18 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
To add on to CyMac's responses...

On the Island was originally lendable. In the past few weeks, the book was picked up by a major publisher and has become Unlendable. This happens in the case when a self-pubbed/indie becomes so successful that a major publisher takes notes and offers them a contract. It's very beneficial to the author, less so to the readers.

My mistake, I should have asked which book you were referencing to begin with. Sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 7:20:01 AM PDT
Eileen says:
HJ... Thanks for your information... very interesting... where do you find this kind of information? It was a very good book... should have loaned it out earlier! It is good for author... will encourage more books by them, I'm sure. I appreciate the help/information...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 12:44:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 12:45:39 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Most books that are lendable are self-published books. There are some that are from small publishers that allow lending, but it is widely known that the big publishers do not allow lending. And this actually has happened quite a bit lately. Other notables...

Fifty Shades of Grey (and sequels)
Bared to You

Additionally, keep in mind that lendable books can actually only be lent one time. The borrower has 7 days to accept the loan, and then 14 days to read the book before it reverts back to the owner.

I realize that you may already know this, but I thought I'd cover all my bases while I was here. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 7:55:59 AM PDT
Eileen says:
HJ: Thanks for the additional info... I do know about the 7-days to accept the loan and 14 days to read... so it would seem that you'd really need to be working along with the borrower when the loan is set up... thereby their being "prepared."

As for the "Fifty Shades of Grey (and sequels), I would imagine that book not being a "loaner" anyway by "virtue" (strange word here I think) of its popularity, etc. Not something I'd consider... but curious ..."Bared to You"... I assume as you "listed it" that is also a book??? thanks again.. Much to learn regarding the use of my Kindle... but... love it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 8:07:07 AM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Bared to You: A Crossfire Novel by Sylvia Day is a popular book that has been touted as similar to 50.

Like 50 and On the Island, it started off as a self or Indie pubbed book (and was lendable). A big publisher picked it up and 'poof,' no more lending.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 8:08:46 AM PDT
Eileen says:
HJ: Where might I check that info if considering a loan to someone?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 8:13:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2012 8:14:17 AM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Check what info? Do you mean a book that's in your library?

The easiest way to see if a book you own is lendable is to pull up the book's Kindle product page (up in the search function at the top of the page). When the page comes up, it should say 'You purchased this book on XYZ date.' If the book is lending enabled, and you haven't lent it out previously, right below that it should say 'Loan this book.' Click on that. The lending screen pops up and you just need to complete it and hit enter.

You will need that person's real email, not their Kindle email.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 8:18:33 AM PDT
Eileen says:
HJ... I understand that part, which is exactly what I did to lend "On the Island" and saw the "selection choice" of lending the title... so somewhere/somehow the current availability of that book changed and was not reflected in my "action" choices... but you, however, learned it was picked up by a new pub... so the current info regarding publishers, seemingly isn't available at the Amazon.com..Manage My Kindle "library"... I guess if a book is just what I'd like to share with a friend, I would need to check further than my Amazon library... the info wasn't current.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 8:22:51 AM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Oh, you mean how did I find out that the books were picked up by publishers? Sorry, I misunderstood.

I learned by following these threads, and I'm a member of Goodreads and a fan of the authors, so I can read their blogs, etc...The info is all over the place, you just have to kind of get more involved in the book reading communities.

Amazon is a bit slow in updating the 'manage my Kindle' options box in your library, that's why I said to go by the product page.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 8:26:44 AM PDT
Eileen says:
HJ... thanks... I think I went to the product page, which is why, full circle, I started this thread!... I'll be more diligent should another book in my library "scream" for someone to share it!... Only have a few friends/relatives who are at this point currently reading ebooks... and... we all seem to enjoy completely different types of reading... thank you for your time in sharing what you know... I know it will come in handy again!...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 6:06:58 PM PDT
cathyr says:
Hi emr - your initial question was really interesting and I "stole" some of the thread to put in a list of things to help people on discussion boards.

FYI Other places for help/advice
Amazon's page "Lending Kindle Books" http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200549320
Amazon's page "Kindle Owners' Lending Library for Amazon Prime Members" http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200757120
Kindle forum discussion on "lending" a kindle book by registering a different kindle http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx1JFEN1F6BB28F
Amazon Kindle Help Forum "Public Library for Kindle FAQs" http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=cm_cd_fp_ef_tft_tp?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1GLDPZMNR1X53&cdThread=Tx30KZXZZRCX7V9
Amazon Kindle Help Forum "Kindle Owner's Lending Library FAQs" http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=cm_cd_fp_ef_tft_tp?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1GLDPZMNR1X53&cdThread=Tx1TL2VDCKMSI5

You might find some things to help you there too, or maybe could add to it? http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/ref=cm_cd_rvt_np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx7Q6QYT0N662S#CustomerDiscussionsNew

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 7:58:58 AM PDT
Eileen says:
Cathyr... thanks for your input regarding loaning a kindle book... I did go to the very first "site" you mention above and saw that it is the one I went to in search of why the book in question was not "working out". I did everything required, and even saw the choice of "loan this title"... what I didn't know was what HJLeonard, another responder, explained... my book was no longer available to lend and that information was not available while going to the original Kindle "lending site". I have accepted that there are not too many books available for lending, which is not really a problem since most ppl I know who read ebooks do not all read the same type. So for the most part, I rather doubt that I'll be looking to lend anytime soon. That being said... I thank you immensely for all the work you put into this thread, and with all the others I think it should be all the info needed by someone else with a similar question.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions