Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Worst Betrayl Ever!!!

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3276-3300 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 1:24:54 PM PDT
JudyB says:
boogenhaven - I totally agree with you. I am usually a lurker out here on the perimeter but this discussion made me want to contribute my thoughts. I know we all have certain likes/dislikes about our beloved romance novels and we have the choice to read or not read based on those beliefs. But to me a romance that doesn't include some real life drama isn't realistic. No matter the time period, how often does cheating occur in real life....and to me it's not the matter of cheating(I am not condoning cheating), it's how the couple deals with that cheating that matters. Just because one woman says never would I accept a man that cheats, there are many others that have gone through the terrible trial of cheating and came out better people with a deeper more meaningful relationship. Gosh, all of these conditions make me think that the H/h should be perfect individuals with no flaws/sins, etc...something that is only found in Heaven :) And like you said, who knows if it is a good book until it has been read and evaluated from different perspectives.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 1:27:32 PM PDT
bookaddict says:
Vanessa
You don't need to read the first one to understand Ravishing IMO. The h of the first book is Fitz's sister . I read it to get some background on Fitz and Millie.Their arrangement is mentioned briefly and I enjoyed the brief glimpses of them but It was mainly about his sister .
If you do want to read it ,it is free on scribd.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 1:31:45 PM PDT
Darn, I really don't read historicals all that often....but may have to read Ravishing the Heiress, since I love all the speculation on a book that is not out yet!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 1:54:28 PM PDT
bookaddict says:
lovestoread
lol..I don't read historicals either but just look at me obsessing and speculating over a book that's not even out .

For all we know H takes one look at ow/widow and realize it was only a young mans infatuation ,consummates his marriage and decides he will henceforth be a one woman man ..so all this angst would have been for nothing . However ,that would make for a very boring and short book which would not garner this level of interest.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 2:52:39 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
Maybe the wife will have the epiphany that the really hot Earl across the ballroom is actually her true love and she will move on leaving him to pine for a bit. LOL :)

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 3:45:30 PM PDT
D. Arnold says:
Checked author's website and she says that out of the three in this trilogy, this one is her favorite. I hope that is a good thing. Can't believe that she already has the 3rd one ready for release in Oct. What a stir this is and it is still not out.....

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 5:49:11 PM PDT
I'm in the process of reading Sherrilyn Kenyon's Born of Silence (The League) and i don't know if i can finish it. The betrayal is so bad that i really can't see a HEA at this point.

SPOILERS

Zarya agreed to marry Kere a fellow resistance fighter who she has never seen in the flesh, somehow he's managed to keep the lights off for their whole affair. Kere is really Darling the prince of whatever world they live on. Her 2nd in command has a plan that she didn't bother to ask the details of which turned out to be kidnapping Darling's sister. The 2nd accidently killed her and took Darling instead. Zarya of course didn't recognise Darling/Kere and her 2nd (with her permission) began 'interrigations'... So while this is going on Zarya is desperate to find Kere and doesn't bother to check in on the prisoner who is going through the vilest torture the author could imagine. After 19 weeks she finally bothers to check in on him and finds out what has been going on and whoops she puts the pieces together and realises who their prisoner really is. Queue the prisoner's rescuers who of course take her captive... At the moment i'm upto where Darling/Kere is waking up from surgery and is being told what they've done to him (like he hadn't already lived it)

Even though Zarya had no idea what her 2nd was planning she was in charge of that cell she should have checked on him yada yada yada i really can't see how she can be forgiven for this one... I want to rip her throat out myself, i'll keep reading a few more pages to see if by some miricle it can be salvaged but i really think that SK went too far with the torture on this one...

If she had left it for a couple of days then I could probably find a way for her to be forgiven but 19 WEEKS? Hell no! At this point i can only hope that Darling/Kere finds someone else to have a HEA with...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 6:12:17 PM PDT
Bitchie says:
I haven't read this one yet, but Kenyon really seems to love torturing her men, I wonder if she has issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 6:16:52 PM PDT
I did read somewhere that she was a victim of child abuse...

So far i've been able to deal with it but i don't think i'm going to pick up Born of Silence (The League) again.

When i do my re reads of Acheron (Dark-Hunter, Book 12) i don't bother with the first half and all that tedious torturous backstory i start it where Tory makes her entrance then it's quite a sweet read.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 6:17:40 PM PDT
bookaddict says:
boogenhagen
hahaha .. That would be great actually .Nothing like a bit of competition to bring out a mans possessive urges .Also its more fun to see a H sick with jealousy and possessive as hell .Why should the h always be the ones pining over H ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 6:23:19 PM PDT
Bitchie says:
I think I read the first three in that series, I need to get back to it, but I'll probably have to do a quick reread of the others first. I think those were the first books I read on my Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 10:44:28 PM PDT
misty9 says:
I hope boogenhagen guesses right and she does have an affair waiting for her clueless husband to get a clue. If so, I will read it.(Not very hopeful though:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 3:15:43 PM PDT
BethB says:
Born of Silence - I skipped the first 200-some pages and started where Z gets sold to some kind of sex trader who then, remarkably, doesn't sell her body on. I like SK, but the hero torture in her books annoys me. Not to lower the tone of the conversation or anything (and this may say lots about the way my mind works), but I keep thinking "Weeks/years/centuries of torture and there's no castration? Seriously?" Only Acheron, afaik, and his grew back.

On a more trivial point, why is this society, advanced enough for interplanetary travel, still using cell phones and email? ...Please stop me. I can rant for hours on this series. And yet I can't stop reading it.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 3:43:48 PM PDT
Reader says:
"Why is this society, advanced enough for interplanetary travel, still using cell phones and email?"

That's halarious! It's funny the things authors don't pick up on. Beth, if it makes you feel any better I also have books that I want to stop reading but can't.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 4:07:25 PM PDT
D. Stom says:
Technically, Acheron's were *restored* by Artemis, they didn't regenerate.

And I'm thinkin' that castration's reserved for special circumstances, mostly because most torturers (?torturORs, as opposed to torturEEs?) are male themselves and can't quite do it. I think its a lot like watching a room full of men cringe when they see someone else take a blow to the 'nads. You know, "I feel your pain."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:28:59 PM PDT
Beth Burns

It doesn't surprise me that the sold her to a sex trader. but now that i know that i'm definately not going to bother reading any further... although to be fair i already came to that decision when she prooved to be such a useless commander (why didn't she demand to know her 2IC's plan?) and didn't bother to worry about what happened to the prisoner after they caught him for 19 weeks!!!

Nope i can't get past that at all... I though SK knew the rules of romance better than that. By all means torture away but don't write it so that either the h or the H can never be forgiven... Mind you the last Dark Hunter had a really unlikeable h too and don't get me started on that stupid urban fantasy she she's co writing....

Oh no, i'm losing another author!!!

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 6:41:39 PM PDT
A. Cole says:
I lost SK a long time ago when it felt like the books were no longer about the h/H but about the world in general. I stopped reading about when the companion came out. If you need an encyclopedia to follow the story line..........? I did come back to read Acheron's but it still seemed like he wasn't the main focus, and come on, it's Acheron, he should have totally been the main focus after all he had been through and sacrificed.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 10:45:40 PM PDT
Lalo says:
I just read "The Dom of my Dreams". That has got to be one of the worst betrayals I ever read. And the H continued to betray the h. And her friends betrayed the h too.

I cannot recommend that book. I'd give it a thumbs down. Unless you just love betrayal and kicking people when they're down.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 6:35:45 AM PDT
Just finished Response, that I think was recommended on this thread...The H seduces the h as revenge for the rape of his sister by the h's brother. He has sex with her and does not go out of his way to satisfy her (she's a virgin) and afterwards the h tells him it will be better the next time, to which he promptly replies there won't be a next time and why. Of course it turns out the the h's brother did not rape the H's sister.

For an HP from the 70 or 80's I was quite impressed that the h stuck to her guns and did not forgive him so easily. He didn't exactly grovel, but she made him feel almost as bad as she felt. All in all quite a good read.

Thanks to the poster!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 6:59:03 AM PDT
molly o says:
hi R.Fulton what was the betrayal, thinking of buying but if its very bad i wont.

thanks molly

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 9:26:20 AM PDT
Lalo says:
molly o,

Spoiler alert: The story is pretty good. I got a little too invested in the h. The betrayal was more than I could handle. And she took him back. Again and again. Don't get me wrong, she does make him suffer, just not enough to suit me. The h did not deserve to be treated so badly. She was a good person and I liked her.

Spoiler alert: One of her friends is best buddies with the H and feeds him information about her. It leaves her very vulnerable and confused. The H has a low opinion of the h at first and he models a book after her. And it makes her look very bad. He manipulated her life and almost cost her her job.

The other turn off for me was the H never seemed to get to know her. Of course, later you find out it's because her friend has been feeding him information about her. But I thought the H was too mean to the h. The story line is good and the plot is... maybe a little over the top but at least it has a plot.

Get the book, I'd love to hear what you think. I might be just a much more vindictive person than you are.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 11:08:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 11:09:29 AM PDT
D. Arnold says:
Can't wrap my head around this one. Tried looking up on GR and these discussions but nothing said much other than yours. Was there one specific betrayal or was it throughout the book? Any and all address to this is welcome. Almost want to read it.....

edit - spelling

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 3:21:44 PM PDT
Deb says:
Several books by that title (The Dom of my Dreams) Who is the author?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 4:25:51 PM PDT
molly o says:
The Dom of my Dreams author M.F. Sinclair.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 6:46:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 6:48:59 PM PDT
What is the betrayal? Would you give spoilers. Thanks.

ETA - sorry for the redundant post.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  491
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jan 30, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 27, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 97 customers

Search Customer Discussions