Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Worst Betrayl Ever!!!

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3876-3900 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 10:08:52 PM PDT
Lillian Rose says:
Mary, does it have a believable HEA?

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 10:23:33 PM PDT
Reader says:
The non-grovel books are killing me ladies! Come on authors, throw us a bone! Lots of angst and some great grovel really isn't too much to ask for is it?

I was reading a old K. Ashley book this week and stumbled upon the preview chapter online for her new story out next week (I think). Let me tell you guys, I only read the 30 pages and I'm already thinking huge betrayal/completely spineless h. Has anyone read it? I thought it was pretty crazy even for KA. ***Deep breath...there goes my hubby for some more choc. ice cream****

I LOVE the rating system, cub! Staying far, FAR away from the book you mentioned but that really told me all I needed to know. The only thing I would add is "h's backbone."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 10:30:26 PM PDT
That's always the million dollar question (....or the will Reader fork her eye over this question). The H is remorseful (in his head) several times during the book (especially whenever he sees the healing scar on her shoulder). He doesn't confess his part in her ordeal until his hand is forced by the wife of the colony's governor. Then it is followed so swiftly by the h's kidnapping by the villain of the piece, her rescue by the H and the unstable villian's death (with the apparant assistance of the H's dead wife, who was killed by the villain) that H/h are in their HEA before you know it. The H does confess what happened to his mother at the h's father's hand and his part in her ordeal. She really doesn't call him on it (I would if he had ME branded) because she so identifies with the H's mother, who never recovered mentally (the h was borderline in the same condition when she arrived in LA). I have to admit, with all it's deficiencies, this is one of my guilty pleasures (don't tell Reader). There was really no grovel, so it depends on how much you need to have a good HEA.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 11:06:08 PM PDT
@Reader:

At least he's earning his right to remain alive (fetching choc icecream). :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 5:11:55 AM PDT
ebookfan says:
Thanks, I liked your 1-10 scale. It is very helpful. :)

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 6:32:33 AM PDT
Lalo says:
Lalo hands out plastic forks while we wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 7:03:35 AM PDT
Lalo,

Make mine a spork. That way I can both stab myself in the eye and scoop out the grey matter storing memories associated with these books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 7:31:22 AM PDT
Lalo says:
@cub, much better idea. A multi purpose tool for reading books where the hero is just a jerk and then gets away without apologizing enough! Great idea. I'm off to the store for a LARGE bag of sporks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 9:31:45 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 20, 2012 9:33:12 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 10:48:10 AM PDT
Ok. Kate Barley is making me do this as payback for Gringa. A total new entry, Wreckless by Nyla Rose. She sent it to me as a train wreck--and it is. Be aware it is a Wild Rose Press, so there are exotica elements in it.

***********SPOILER ALERT***********

The h and three friends are out celebrating the impending marriage of one of them. On their way home, they are hit by a drunk driver (the h had also been drinking, but was under the legal limit). One is killed, one is left in a coma, and one is left with extensive facial lacerations, while the h (who was the driver) has only minor injuries. Everyone immediately piles on the h. The parents of the dead girl won't let her attend the funeral, the one with facial lacerations has her fiance immediately break off the engagement and hates the h. The h's fiance (who was the brother of the maimed girl breaks off with her without explanation. The only ones who still treat her decently are the parents of the comatose girl.

The h is a very hot realtor, who was based in London, but moves to LA and the lucrative markets there and to be able to visit her friend in the hospital. She has had to work out a schedule with the bitter maimed one so they don't visit on the same day. The man who walked away from her finds that he still has the hots for her (and she still has the hots for him). He arranges for them to meet each Friday for sex (neither can use the L word). This goes on for about a year and the h finally gets tired of it and wants to stop. The H threatens a series of nuisance lawsuits if she doesn't continue. She caves, but secretly makes plans to re-locate to New York to get away from him. She says her goodbys to the comatose friend and her parents, who are understanding and think she has paid way to much for an accident.

Just before she leaves, the comatose one wakes up and a doctor finally gets the girl with the lacerations to agree to cosmetic surgery (he is also sweet on her). The fiance has been having conscience pangs, and tries to get his sister to let go some of her bitterness. He also realized that the h had spent her birthday alone because all her friends had turned on her. His sister finally comes clean, that the last round of drinks was triple strength due to her and she didn't warn the h. The girl who wakes up also doesn't blame the h and they start to reconcile a little. This is complicated by the ex-fiance of the scarred girl (he is an actor) coming to LA and contacting her. This makes the H jealouse and he goes to the h and demands to know if he had also contacted her. They are interrupted by a call from one of the friends to look at the TV and they see the scum fiance was under arrest for rape. He was accused both by his costar and another actress working on the movie. The H reveals that the reason he broke it off was because he went to the guys apartment to try to talk sense with him, but walked in on them apparently having bondage sex (the man had her hands pinned and was gagging her with his other hand). He just walked out. The h told him what he walked out on was the actor raping her, she had gone there to ask him to reconsider, but he said he didn't want to be married to a freak and raped the h.

The H asked why she didn't go to the police and she told him the guy said he would just say the sex was consensual and the fact that everyone was blaming her for the accident, all her friends had deserted her, even the police were unhappy they couldn't arrest her, also meant he would win. She believed him and never said anything to anyone. The H has massive guilt that he had just walked out and later blackmailed her to have sex with him when she didn't want to. She has kept all the harrassing text messages and email the creep sent to keep her quiet and the H gets her to file charges against him, and HEA. No grovel, just magic pen. Let the tomato throwing commence (ducks).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 11:22:19 AM PDT
Kate Barley says:
I have to add that I loved this trainwreck even though it sounds bad or I may love it because it is so bad but the story is engrossing -- you won't be able to look away. Betrayal #1 is the drunk driving incident and Betrayal #2 is the blackmail sex and Betrayal #3 is the hero walking away from the heroine because he thinks she is cheating on him while in actuality her former boyfriend was raping her.

The book reads like an erotic HP and as Mary said, there is plenty of golden pen but no grovel whatsoever.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 1:41:43 PM PDT
Lalo says:
Can we have some spoilers on the erotic? It does not sound erotic at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 1:45:41 PM PDT
Kate Barley says:
Sorry -- my description was poor. It's not erotic but steamier than an HP but the plot plods along like an HP.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 2:03:35 PM PDT
Reader says:
Breaking Point

Just finished this one. The book had some issues but overal I liked the story. Total 80's flashback when I read this book. Brought me back to the day when you had to check to see if plates were "microwave safe". Anyway, emotional cheating-esk with PA by H, rape of h (80's style) but h stands her ground leaves the H and he attempts to get her back. He finally sees the light and then get her back. Thanks who ever rec'ed it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 2:21:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2012 2:22:28 PM PDT
Trainwreck... I've lost track of who's whose boyfriend/fiance/blackmailer/rapist etc...

My only opinion - don't drink and drive period. That way you can't lose count or swill triples without knowing - which bizarrely still left her under the legal limit. Is she the size of a linebacker?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 4:45:34 PM PDT
Ok, did I read that right? Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher? As in Lee Child's Jack Reacher? Isn't Jack Reacher supposed to be about 6ft4/5? And built like a brick s***house? And TC is going to portray him? Who's bright idea was this then?

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 7:37:36 PM PDT
Lalo says:
Check the forum "Lee, Say It Ain't So"

Evidently TC bought the rights to the book One Shot. Lee Child had no say so over casting. Yes, it is a horrible thing. People are upset with Lee Child, threatening not to buy anymore of his books, etc.

It's a shame because they could have made a great series out of Jack Reacher if they had found a "Reacher like" character to play the part.

Casting TC as Reacher is as bad as putting Mickey Mouse in the role.

Also, from the previews, it seems Reacher now drives a muscle car, etc. It's not going to be the Reacher we know from the books. Very sad.

So.. I guess the betrayal here is that many fans feel the author has betrayed his reading base.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 7:50:07 PM PDT
Lalo says:
No Kindle version on Breaking Point?

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 10:05:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2012 10:17:31 PM PDT
Neeta says:
"So.. I guess the betrayal here is that many fans feel the author has betrayed his reading base."

My point of view is that it's the readers, the author and the book itself that have all been betrayed by hollywood and the movie industry... and by the little pipsqueak who's too vain to read the book and realise he's not the most suitable person for the part.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 10:10:48 PM PDT
Reader says:
Re: Breaking Point

No, it was an old HP. I bought a used copy through Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 11:05:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2012 11:06:54 PM PDT
Chele says:
Lalo-I read it on scribd before purchasing my used copy.

Hope this link works for you: http://www.scribd.com/doc/65194409/Emma-Darcy-Breaking-Point

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 11:32:40 PM PDT
Lalo says:
@Neeta, excellent point!! I still like Lee Child as an author. I will continue to read his books. I doubt I will pay money to see TC in a movie that has nothing to do with the book and for which he is so obviously miscast.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 11:34:17 PM PDT
Lalo says:
@chele. Thank you. My kindle has ruined me. I boxed up several boxes of paperbacks a couple of months after I got my Kindle and I have not bought any others. The Kindle is just too convenient.

I'll check this url, thanks Chele.

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 10:46:09 PM PDT
D. Campbell says:
Bump....

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 6:36:25 PM PDT
Okay,

Just bumping it, but while i'm here, i just finished Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 12) so

SPOILERS BELOW

I kind of think Eric's feeding at the beginning of the book was a big betrayal, i know he has to eat elsewhere and that's not what i have the problem with, it's where he did it and what else was going on in that room that i think Sookie had every right to be angry about...

Now another question (and yes this is reaching a little bit but all in the name of bumping) was Sookie's use of the Clovial Dor a betrayal to Eric? I agreed with Sookie's thoughts where it was unfair of him to expect to use it on this situation when he probably could have got out of it himself. remember when he was an evil genius that could turn everything to his advantage? *sigh* i do. In the past couple of books he's just been Bill.
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  491
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jan 30, 2010
Latest post:  11 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 98 customers

Search Customer Discussions